Heels in society

Oh yeah! I remember the clogs now that you mention it. But that was a thing when I was somewhere around 10 years old. I'm sure I noticed such things at that age, but my preference for heels did not fully form until several years later. I know I never cared for the giant disco platforms of Saturday Night Fever. I rather liked the Dr. Scholl's exercise sandals, which were also everywhere during the Clog Era. Both on college campuses and the elementary school classroom.

I’m older than you. I was at university during the clog era, my interest in alternative footwear had its origins some years earlier, around 1969, with go-go boots - how I wished I could have s pair of those!

I would have liked a pair of clogs too back in the day, although never as much as I wanted a pair of shiny white go-go boots 

41 minutes ago, Shyheels said:

I’m older than you. I was at university during the clog era, my interest in alternative footwear had its origins some years earlier, around 1969, with go-go boots - how I wished I could have s pair of those!

I would have liked a pair of clogs too back in the day, although never as much as I wanted a pair of shiny white go-go boots 

White go go boots are on top of my wish list for sure...

14 minutes ago, Jkrenzer said:

Beginning to think we are grey hairs here.

Site should be call GERIATRIC HEELS FOR MEN

Not as long as we can still rock it in heels!

It is true that many of our active members here are More Experienced. In fact, at 56, I may be a little on the young side. Nevertheless, I sometimes worry about silly things, like whether I need to quit wearing skinny jeans and shorts.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

Why would you ever want to quit wearing skinny jeans and shorts?  You are never any older than your body lets you feel and your mind thinks you are.  Take my case.  In my mind I still have the desire to wear very tall heels but my body won’t tolerate my wearing them. So, at 68, I am content to wear what I can and “go with the flow,” thankful I’m still here to do it.

Edited by Bubba136
Text correction
  • Like 1

Being mentally comfortable in your own mind is the key to wearing heels in public.

57 minutes ago, mlroseplant said:

It is true that many of our active members here are More Experienced. In fact, at 56, I may be a little on the young side. Nevertheless, I sometimes worry about silly things, like whether I need to quit wearing skinny jeans and shorts.

You have taken good care of yourself, and look great in skinny jeans and shorts...

I was 56 once ….

But I wear skinny jeans and chunky heeled ankle boots / indeed that is what I am wearing right now - and I will continue to wear them !

• Like 1

At 69 I still wear my skinny jeans and short shorts. How else can you wear you boots on the outside.  However, I have recently obtained a few non-skinny pants.

Now if only I can find some decent looking sandals.

• Like 1

Yup that’s my reason for wearing skinny jeans - I like knee and OTK boots and how else to wear them?

Shorts I just don’t do unless I’m cycling or at the gym 

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, Shyheels said:

Yup that’s my reason for wearing skinny jeans - I like knee and OTK boots and how else to wear them?

Shorts I just don’t do unless I’m cycling or at the gym 

And cycling at the gym is probably a big part of why you still can rock skinny jeans and boots!

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, pebblesf said:

And cycling at the gym is probably a big part of why you still can rock skinny jeans and boots!

Could just be!!!

• Like 1

I did talk about this subject with my only remaining friend from university, the fashionista lady. She works in a retail clothing shop (Loft), and is required to wear at least some of the things that the store sells. She is also very honest with me. I asked her if I am too old to be wearing Daisy Dukes. She said without hesitation, "You can get away with it." Meaning me personally. So I guess I won't worry about it.

Having said that, I really can't think of any women my age who wear short shorts. I can think of one, but she's a youngster at 49, and her appearance is much younger than that. I do know one woman who wears skinny jeans at age 60, and she doesn't stick out like a sore thumb, but again, you would never really guess that she's 60.

• Like 1