Wristwatches

mlroseplant

I have worn a wristwatch pretty much all of my life. They have become less popular as of late since you can see the exact time on your phone nowadays. I had worn the same watch for some 15 years, but lately, thanks to my younger son, I have come to appreciate the art and simplicity of a mechanical watch. I have sworn off buying any more shoes for a while, but I have bought two vintage watches in the last several months.

Oddly enough, they are exactly the same, except one has a stainless steel (silver) case, and the other is 10K gold. I love the clean look of the Ball Trainmaster, which you can see pictured here. I also like the size, which is 34.5 mm. Watches, like pickup trucks, have gotten bigger over the years, and I think the smaller size suits me better than today's oversize watches. These watches are from the 1960s.

Watches.jpg

.Interesting.  Like you, I’ve worn the same watch for decades.  Strapping it onto my wrist when getting dressed each morning is as routine as putting on my socks. In fact, very early in my primary flight school days, I learned a short saying that I recited just before falling out for morning formation.  Just before leaving my room I, would stand before the mirror and repeat “spectacles, testicles, wallet and watch”, which I still do when ever leaving the the house.  

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Being mentally comfortable in your own mind is the key to wearing heels in public.

Yeah, I have worn the same "timex easy reader" watch for more years than I should admit.  Can't really wear today's oversize watches, would look silly on my small arms/wrists.  I  would probably scratch up/damage a real nice watch the first day I wore it...

• Like 1

I’ve never worn a watch. It’s simply not me. I can appreciate the beauty and workings of a fine watch, especially a mechanical one, but I’ve never gone down the watch wearing route myself. That said I’m never late for anything, nor gave I ever missed a flight - there’s always a public clock somewhere and I usually leave plenty of time. But I’ve never been interested in wearing a watch

• Like 2

Somehow or other, I have never smashed a watch in my life. Coworkers have asked me in the past why and how I manage to get away with wearing such a nice watch to work. I have no idea how. I guess I naturally have situational awareness, as they like to say in the safety business.

@Shyheels, I always wake up about three minutes before the alarm goes off. I still set the thing anyway. It always scares me when it does go off. I'm an idiot.

@pebblesf, My other watches are 40mm in size. That's now on the small end of normal "men's" watches. I've always thought they looked clunky on me. My son has an antique watch that is 32mm, and that was not an unusual size for the day. Today, that would definitely be a "women's" size.

@Cali, I worked at a milk plant (they were adding a baby formula line) for a while where not only could you not wear watches or rings, you were not allowed to carry anything in a pocket above the waist. They still made us wear safety glasses, though.

@Bubba136, It would be difficult for me to forget my spectacles, impossible for me to forget my testicles, so in the modern world, I substitute my company phone and badge for those first two. Yes, I have become one of those jackwagons who carries two phones.

As a closing thought, would Jesus, in fact, wear a Rolex on his television show? My son says yes. Back in the day, Rolex used to be a working man's watch, before it became an overpriced statement piece.

I’d like to think Jesus wouldn’t have a television show….

I’ve always been a very early riser - usually getting up between 4-4:30am, no matter what time I go to bed. Sleeping in to 5:30 would be an incredible rarity for me. I’ve been doing this for decades, since my teen years. Thus an alarm clock has not been necessary as there are very seldom reasons for anyone having to get up earlier than that.

Watches have definitely falllen out of favor.  I work in a shop that sells second hand items.  Watches always sit in our showcases for a very long time, and they only eventually sell if they are heavily discounted, so we are very reluctant to take them.

On 9/2/2023 at 9:58 PM, Shyheels said:

I’ve never worn a watch. It’s simply not me. I can appreciate the beauty and workings of a fine watch, especially a mechanical one, but I’ve never gone down the watch wearing route myself. That said I’m never late for anything, nor gave I ever missed a flight - there’s always a public clock somewhere and I usually leave plenty of time. But I’ve never been interested in wearing a watch

Same here. I've never worn a watch in my life.   Only reason I'd ever buy a watch is an investment (same reason I'd ever buy an Hermes or Chanel bag).

Watch market topped in March 2022 so if anytime is a good time to go value hunting, now seems like a good time

Screen Shot 1402-06-17 at 16.01.34.jpg

Feminine Style .  Masculine Soul.  Skin In The Game.