Jump to content

an amusing shopping trip


Recommended Posts

The better half is under the weather, so all the shopping/chores have fallen on me.  Not the worst thing, I got to spend some time in Macy's yesterday, and they had a pretty nice collection of knee boots, didn't recognize the manufacturers, but the boots looked nice for the price.  That is, until this "bull in a china shop" arrived.  There was only a male sales clerk in the area, he kind of gave me a second glance while I was looking at boots. There were about 15 pairs of knee boots, free standing on the top tier of a display shelf.  Needless to say, I picked up one boot to have a closer look.  When I put it back, the boot lost its balance and fell into the pair next to it knocking them into the next pair and so on down the line until all 15 pairs had been knocked over, some on the floor!  I could feel the glare of the sales clerk on the back of my neck without even seeing his face.  What could I do at this point, except what I'm good at, laughing at my own clumsy self.  Didn't run off, spent about ten minutes very carefully picking up all the boots and gently placing them back on the shelf, hoping they would stand up.  Kind of like setting up dominos.  Needless to say, I was the focus of a few inquisitive customers/workers by now.  Oh well, at least I can still laugh, at myself, no issue with that yet.  

On the positive side, I went to a different store in the mall to buy some needed items.  The young male counter clerk stopped me as I was walking away (after paying) to compliment me on my knee high Champion cowboy boots with 3" heels.  Believe it or not, I was wearing the boots over my tight fit levis, so am making progress.  The fellow said he loved my boot style, and the cowboy look.  He asked if I actually did ranch work, I admitted that I had never been on a ranch, and just love wearing boots "of all styles".  I thanked the clerk for taking the time to compliment me, admitting I appreciated it.  Now, I just must summon the courage to wear my new nine west boots over the levis or "lucky jeans".  Getting closer guys, thanks.... Don

 

 

  • Like 5
Link to comment
Share on other sites


An amusing little scene in Macy’s to be sure. As you say, what can you do but laugh?

nice to be complimented on your boots. I like the boots over skinny jeans look. It’s my normal way of wearing boots. I think a lot of guys would like to wear tall boots but simply don’t dare do anything that is unapproved . 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Wearing boots on the outside of skinny jeans is empowering statement and a bold look for sure.  Congratulations @pebblesf on wearing this look in public, isn't it fun?

I now have 6 high boots, mostly stilettoes, 4 knee highs and two high calf boots. I love wearing my boots on the outside.

Edited by Cali
  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 hours ago, Shyheels said:

An amusing little scene in Macy’s to be sure. As you say, what can you do but laugh?

nice to be complimented on your boots. I like the boots over skinny jeans look. It’s my normal way of wearing boots. I think a lot of guys would like to wear tall boots but simply don’t dare do anything that is unapproved . 

I think you are right.  I caught a couple of guys trying to take another look at my boots, without being noticed by their gal pals.  

5 hours ago, Cali said:

Wearing boots on the outside of skinny jeans is empowering statement and a bold look for sure.  Congratulations @pebblesf on wearing this look in public, isn't it fun?

I now have 6 high boots, mostly stilettoes, 4 knee highs and two high calf boots. I love wearing my boots on the outside.

Me too buddy, feels amazing, and I think it looks pretty darn good also, even on me.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Herd mentality, as is in a herd (aka slice) of lemmings.  There no freedom in a herd, there's no individuality, but then you don't have to think.  I've had men tell me they would like to wear boots, just maybe not stilettoes.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Stilettos were specifically designed for women - not so tall boots, heeled or no. They were once very much a male fashion. But men are not allowed theatricality in dress and so when there was no longer a need to wear boots, as in no horse or motorcycle, they became off limits. To war boots without a horse or motorcyclis is theatrical and therefore not allowed.

  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, mlroseplant said:

I am very surprised that the male sales clerk didn't take this opportunity to sell you a pair of boots. That's what I would have done.

You don’t tend to get a lot of initiative from minimum wage help

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

pebblesf : Nice story. I notice you do not post pictures with your story. I would love to see you picking up all of those boots while wearing high heel boots. What do you mean- Getting closer.  Are you working up to wearing stilettos like the boots I wore when we met earlier this year? That would make me proud. MikeDSCF5256.thumb.JPG.f6d4273582385b56d570a5e4d2b1a872.JPG

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

10 hours ago, mlroseplant said:

I am very surprised that the male sales clerk didn't take this opportunity to sell you a pair of boots. That's what I would have done.

True, never thought about that.  I think he felt I was "creepy", perhaps I am being a little tough on myself, I don't know.  

6 hours ago, spikesmike said:

pebblesf : Nice story. I notice you do not post pictures with your story. I would love to see you picking up all of those boots while wearing high heel boots. What do you mean- Getting closer.  Are you working up to wearing stilettos like the boots I wore when we met earlier this year? That would make me proud. MikeDSCF5256.thumb.JPG.f6d4273582385b56d570a5e4d2b1a872.JPG

Well, I wear my stiletto boots in public, no problem.  But, I haven't developed the confidence to wear the boots over my jeans.  Would love to wear taller heels in public as well, but I don't have the skills.  I seem to be stuck on a 4.5" heel plateau, so want to make the jump to 5-5.5", but just don't seem to be able to do it.  Sure, I can wear them around the house, or in hotel rooms.  But, trying to take extended walks is difficult and uncomfortable.  And, I know my discomfort shows clearly by my awkward/labored look.  I have forced myself more than once to climb into my 5.5" boots and venture out, but always end up wore out in short order and having to rest, kind of like an overheated car on the side of the road.  Nonetheless, I will keep trying!  To me, there is little more frustrating/upsetting than to own a great pair of boots, but not be able to enjoy and wear them comfortably in public.  

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I also thought it was weird he didn't try to make a sale, although, a lot of men seem to think that protecting these sacred areas for women is their jobs as men. Won't work though, I'm still buying the boots. 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, bambam said:

I also thought it was weird he didn't try to make a sale, although, a lot of men seem to think that protecting these sacred areas for women is their jobs as men. Won't work though, I'm still buying the boots. 

I'm assuming these sales folks are at least partially paid on commission.  Oh well.  

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Well, alot to report.  I finally did it.  Wore my new Nine west knee boots over those lucky brand jeans and headed out in ATL on Thursday.  We were staying at an airport hotel, so there weren't too many places to go except for an area of the courtyard where smoking was allowed.  First a nice fellow around my age joined me, asking if it was OK that he was smoking a cigar.    "Sure", i replied, "I'm smoking as well".  Well we spoke for an hour or so, expressing similar worries about the state of this country and how difficult it is growing up these days.  He never mentioned my outfit though..  Then a nice younger fellow arrived, we teased him/ourselves about viewing the country through our "old eyes" and encouraged him to join in with a younger point of view.  I would discover that he was a flight attendant trainee for Delta who was housed in this hotel.  This discovery led to a great conversation.  Did my best to encourage and support, remembering "training" so many years ago.  Finally, it was getting late, we both had to be up way before the ducks, so headed inside to our rooms.  The younger fellow never mentioned my outfit either, but obviously both noticed.  

This was a great day indeed for me.  Only got a few pictures of me, will post links later.  Yesterday in Vegas was an amazing day also, finally met a bootlover I have been talking with online for so many years.  I intended to buy her dinner, but most venues were full/noisy due to some big event here this weekend.  We ended up just driving around in her car, talking about boots along with every topic surrounding them for hours.  She was very impressed that I wore my boots publicly, and displayed them over my levis.  I think this confirmed I am the real deal boot lover to her, not just some guy with ulterior motives.  I credited you guys here with helping me along over the years.  I definitely made a cool new friend.  We spent hours online, comparing our taste in boots, turns out we have very similar likes/dislikes, which I knew from all her great pictures.  

Thanks again guys.  D

  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Sounds like you’ve had quite a lovely time. I have found that in wearing my boots over my jeans few people ever comment - and the few that have were complimentary. A lot of times I think passers by don’t notice at all, but are off in their own bubbles.

How nice to meet someone who shares your interest in, and taste, in boots. That’s really lovely. Sounds like the start of a nice friendship. As you say, she could see you were the real deal and she sounds like a person of style and sense and open mindedness. A great find.

 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, Shyheels said:

Sounds like you’ve had quite a lovely time. I have found that in wearing my boots over my jeans few people ever comment - and the few that have were complimentary. A lot of times I think passers by don’t notice at all, but are off in their own bubbles.

How nice to meet someone who shares your interest in, and taste, in boots. That’s really lovely. Sounds like the start of a nice friendship. As you say, she could see you were the real deal and she sounds like a person of style and sense and open mindedness. A great find.

 

For sure, we shared so many of the same experiences growing up, almost like we were siblings.  

 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

By using High Heel Place, you agree to our Terms of Use.