Good shoe-stretching techniques

pumpsnafoo

Question

hi all.  I am curious if anyone out there has a good shoe-stretching technique that they wanna suggest.  I can wear a size 8(US), and most of the time when buying a used pair of size 8(US) pumps online, or at a thrift store, i can fit into them, with no struggles.  Sometimes, if they are new, it takes a shoe horn to get them on my feet.  I wanna find a shoe-stretching technique that will allow me to put a great pair of new size 8(US)pumps on, so my feet don't feel a lot of pain.  Any suggestions?  Lemme have 'em!  👍

10 answers to this question

Our former cobbler (sadly he doesn´t exist any more) gave us a liquid to soften the leather. It is sprayed inside and then the shoe must be worn for a few hours. Doing that 2 or 3 times will give an increase of up to 1 size. It does not work with shoestretchers because it needs some temperature, but maybe there are heated stretchers which should work. It works with all kinds of leather except patent leather, which will crack when stretched.

❤️ my wife in heels (and without ...)

One technique for leather (not synthetic) shoes or boots is to use a shoe-stretching liquid (brushed or rubbed into the leather to soften it) in conjunction with a proprietary screw-operated shoe stretcher or equivalent.   The liquid can be bought quite easily but a cheaper alternative is to use iso-propyl alcohol (rubbing alcohol), sometimes sold for cleaning electrical contacts etc.   This can be diluted with a similar volume of water and a few drops of washing-up liquid added.   Leave the leather under tension overnight and repeat if necessary.   Width is usually easier to stretch than length.

Another simple idea which can work is to fill a polythene bag or balloon with water, tie/seal it and push it into the toebox.   Put the shoe into the freezer overnight and the expanding water will stretch the leather.

Coincidentally, I am attempting to stretch out some shoes at this very minute, using my high heel shoe stretcher. I've used it quite a bit, with some great results, and some mediocre results. In this case, I am strictly trying for a little bit more width, and I expect I'll get it. I had hoped that these sandals would stretch out on their own naturally, but such has not been the case. Patience is key, especially since I was too cheap to buy a pair of these stretchers, and have to do them one at a time. Purchased online several years ago. Just search for "high heel shoe stretcher." You'll have more choices than you can shake a stick at.

ShoeStretcherD&G.jpg

10 hours ago, mlroseplant said:

Coincidentally, I am attempting to stretch out some shoes at this very minute, using my high heel shoe stretcher. ...

ShoeStretcherD&G.jpg

As they are fabric, I don't think that conventional stretching will work, at least as one would attack leather shoes.  Using a screw-operated stretcher could strain the fibres unduly.   

What causes fabric to stretch?   Water would, I think, tend to cause shrinkage rather than stretching.   

12 hours ago, Puffer said:

As they are fabric, I don't think that conventional stretching will work, at least as one would attack leather shoes.  Using a screw-operated stretcher could strain the fibres unduly.   

What causes fabric to stretch?   Water would, I think, tend to cause shrinkage rather than stretching.   

When my wifes heels (upper part made from jeanstype fabric) became wet during a rainfall they wouldn´t fit anymore after they had dried, they became too small and also had some ugly watermarks.

❤️ my wife in heels (and without ...)

12 hours ago, Puffer said:

Luckily, the part that actually touches your foot is made of leather, and really I just need a little tiny bit more room. I also am being extraordinarily conservative, being as these are expensive shoes, and I actually got them from Russia. If I had that much patience before, what's a couple days more now? Besides, our crazy Iowa weather dumped some snow on us yesterday, at this late date. Oh, no, do you think I will get in trouble for using the "s" word? I know it offends some people.

22 minutes ago, Isolathor said:

When my wifes heels (upper part made from jeanstype fabric) became wet during a rainfall they wouldn´t fit anymore after they had dried, they became too small and also had some ugly watermarks.

That's a good thing to know. If I ever get caught in a rainstorm with these, off they are coming!

5 hours ago, mlroseplant said:

Besides, our crazy Iowa weather dumped some snow on us yesterday, at this late date.

We're getting it today.  Hopefully this will finally be the last go around with this crap.  I see 70's in the forecast for next week.  Hope that is correct!