My First Time Completely Out In Public

TimAudra

Yesterday I finally got the courage to go out in public in my heels. 4 inch strappy sandals from payless. I drove over in my heels and parked and proceeded to walk across the parking lot into payless to return a pair of heels that didnt fit.

I didnt pass too many people but it felt good to just be outside in the middle of the day walking around a little. Next time I will try and be out a little longer and try and interact with some people besides the sales lady at payless who didnt seem to care I was in the store.

Well done TimAudra. To wear 4" strappy sandals seems like quite a bold choice for a first-timer, so how did you arrive at that choice? I'm thinking that many people would prefer more "stealthy" wedge boots hidden under long jeans. Personally I think if it's the height of summer then stealthy boots would look far more "odd", but if lots of people are wearing sandals then your choice fits in a lot better. In any case, it sounds like your first experience has given you confidence for your future outings, we'll look forward to hearing about them.

If you like it, wear it.

Congratulations! TimAudra,

Those under the skin jitters weren't as successful after you decided that nothing was going to keep you from openly wearing your choice of footwear. I guess the sales clerks have become use to seeing men in heels or they have been instructed to just serve their customer's desires, leaving their issues for or against at home. Most of your high heeled outings will go pretty much the same way, only the jitters will dissipate as you gain experience and confidence, at least until you decide your preferred/favorite footwear are the only pairs you want to be seen wearing.  

I love Payless !!!  What is the name of the sandals you wore?  I have several pairs of Payless sandals, maybe we have the same style.  

Why just today, I was shopping in a Payless store for some sandals, the lady clerk was GREAT, offering assistance and advice.  She had no problems with me trying on shoes, in fact she actually encouraged it.  

Glad to see you are out in your heels, the only way to get used to being out in heels is to get out in heels.  Besides, it's FUN !!!! 

Take care…  sf

P.S. Attached is a pic of my Payless "Rene" thong sandals that I bought about a month ago.  Very comfy sandal, excellent for summer wear.  

post-230-0-64973400-1406876456_thumb.jpg

"Why should girls have all the fun!!"

Thanks everybody for their kind words of support and encouragement.  I have been wearing heels on and off for a few years but never outside in public. So, I think I am getting pretty good at walking in them.  I like a higher heel and not a fan of a wedge.

I wore the black sandals with black hose and wore gray pants and a dark blue shirt. I was most nervous walking from the car to the store and once i got inside I actually stayed and looked at more heels.

The shoe says it is the Dexflex Comfort and they actually are really comfortable. They have an ankle strap and a criss cross pattern on the top of the foot.

My schedule and home life makes it hard for me to get out very much but I will keep my updates in this thread as they happen. You all have helped give me the confidence to know that there are so many of us out there and we are all supporting each other. Thank you all again.

Tim AUdra,   Well done my friend. There is a much-respected member, JeffB, who lives right in Philadelphia and wears not only heels (he's really into wedges now like I always have been) but is famous for his skirts as well. He has had no problems at all. Wear the footwear of your choice and live life on YOUR terms and you'll wonder why you didn't do it sooner :). HappyinHeels

Tim: Congrats on that initial outing! I'm sure that must've been quite a proud moment for you. The first time out in heels can make for a nervous experience for most, I know it was for me, but once you've got that first outing under your belt, it becomes easier from there. Just keep at it when you can and you'll do just fine.

I don't want to LOOK like a woman, I just want to DRESS like a woman!

Congratulations Tim - I am trying to work up that courage to walk into Payless where I have made my purchase - I figure there is no "safer" place to thry my first public trial trot.

Just a bit higher to to delight - low enough for healthy foot comfort and great beginning.

Thanks again everybody. it was a proud moment once I got over the initial fear factor. I havent had time to go out again but hoping too this week. Maybe to a more public place like a grocery store.

Any advice on my attire? The heels are sandals so my toes are slightly exposed. Do I wear hosiery or go barelegged under my pants?

Thanks again everybody. it was a proud moment once I got over the initial fear factor. I havent had time to go out again but hoping too this week. Maybe to a more public place like a grocery store.

Any advice on my attire? The heels are sandals so my toes are slightly exposed. Do I wear hosiery or go barelegged under my pants?

Myself - - I wouldn't bother with the hose. Jeans and sandals are good enough in my book. Still keeps a somewhat 'man' look about it.

As an exmple, today I went out mall walking in a pair of sandals and jeans before the stores opened. Kinda funny being around the mall walker sneaker crowd, but I was there before the stores opened. Just burning some time this morning.

Wore these sandals from DSW (on sale at 40% off - just FYI)

http://www.dsw.com/shoe/italian+shoemakers+napa+sandal?prodId=295144&activeCats=dsw12cat1740004,dsw12cat1970014

Was I noticed?? Oh hell yes. When your the loudest walker in the mall, it's hard not too that early in the morning. Didn't seem to phase anyone though.

Go shopping - take your time, be careful of slippery surfaces in a grocery store, and relax. Your not in a hurry - - enjoy the shopping experience.

There is no right or wrong answer. Do whatever you like. Consider both the appearance and health issues:

Hosiery gives perspiration a better chance of wicking away so your feet stay dry and happy. Hosiery protects against blisters, which will prevent you from wearing sandals and other shoes comfortably. If your toenails are ugly, misshapen, uncared for, or have fungus, wear hosiery to hide the flaws. People who don't have the "nylon gene" won't notice hosiery. Even black hose (with black or dark shoes) tends to be invisible. I wore black sheer pantyhose with denim capris and my black Naturalizer Tribute sandals the other day (photo below), and nobody seemed to notice or care. I wore the same capris and shoes yesterday with nude pantyhose and still no looks or comments.

On the other foot, if you wear sandals without hose, you can better show off a nice pedicure.

Whichever way you go, please shave your feet or epilate to remove any hair. Most people would find hairy feet in heeled sandals to be a rather gross look, and one that could elicit laughter. Look in the mirror before you go out in public.

Steve

post-4071-0-65299200-1407173288_thumb.jp

Steve63130,    It isn't what I wear from the neck down that scares me it's the face that causes me to laugh :santa_hat: I just go about my business wearing heels that Beyonce or Bullock would love but pretend I might have the face of some guy a little easier to look at. Keep striding and laughing but do it with confidence.  HappyinHeels