So what do we look like???

HappyinHeels

William (and others), Well, since I started this one, I should keep it going with an answer to that question. I remember the entire 70's, the cool cars, the cool music (pre-disco) and the fact that some entire states were a single area code. Your observations about certain noted high-heel wearing personalities is well noted but you ask how can we change society's overall view?? Thi again sounds like the need to to ask for acceptance. Women never asked for a green light to wear tattoos, stop wearing dresses and change to pants, or even wear jeans, t-shirts, or sneakers clearly marekted for guys. Trust me, if a genetic girl walks into a mall in guy's jeans, a guy's shirt and converse basketball sneakers nobody cares. If a genetic guy walks in behind her in a simple skirt and heels all of sudden many folks can't catch their next breath. Most people are sheep, not independent leaders, and will not be able to articulate why they have a double-standard of fashion awareness. The way to change society's view is by exposure just the way the girls did it. If one is to judge one's character just by their shoes alone then that person is showing the truly narrow scope of their own being. I have learned to accept tattooed women, guys with earrings, both sexes with pierced noses and lips, girls dressed like guys and guys who wear high heels and those who like to dress fully en femme. This isn't a left LIBERAL issue as some might have you think or a right CONSERVATIVE issue but a COMMON SENSE issue. It take sgreat energy to distrust and hate others but hardly any energy to simply accept others, and all the individuality they can bring, on this big blue planet. So, there you have it, change brought about by the unfettered exercise of freedom. YOUR tattoos, MY high heels, OUR stride of liberty. HappyinHeels:wavey:

I agree with most of HappyinHeels comments, even though I don’t consider myself a crusader for the HH cause, but we should pick our heroines more carefully… the Liberty wears sandals. :)

Lady Liberty

I dream of a world where chickens can cross roads without having their motives questioned.

I wasn't referring to the Statue of Liberty but the IDEAL of liberty. True freedom bestowed upon the Citizen allows Him/Her to take that stride dressed as He/She sees fit. YOUR tattoos, MY heels, the liberty to take OUR stride. See how it fits together? I have only seen Lady Liberty from the air (the day my wife immigrated to the USA in 1985), and from the Lower Battery in Manhattan so I couldn't make out her sandals but I know you are right. HappyinHeels

Happyinheels -- I agree with what you've said. I am not advocating that we ask society for permission to wear heels. Maybe my post didn't come across as it should. Maybe I was just thinking out loud, and maybe I still am. I used to wear a lot of cowboy boots, more then than currently. I'm not a cowboy. I don't work or live on a farm. I don't ride horses. When friends would say, "Dude, why are you wearing cowboy boots?" My response was very simple, "Because I like them, they get me eye to eye with all my taller friends, and they're comfortable as all get out -- you should try them!" It was often that my friends would say back something positive, or say maybe they will try them out. Easy! With high heels, it is more than "just a shoe". Aside from your correct statement that "people are sheep" -- they're very observant sheep. They notice the people who set themselves apart from the crowd. Obviously indiscreet heeling isn't as noticeable, but for those who wear thigh highs and pumps to WallyWorld, you know you're being noticed. There are days I like the attention. However, I probably wouldn't wear "attention-seeking" clothing or footwear and also expect to be taken seriously. For example, if a male friend of mine came into work Monday morning wearing a see through shirt, revealing a lace bra underneath, I don't imagine I'd be able to take him all that seriously. If the same friend had confided in me that although I couldn't see it, he was wearing a bra under his business shirt and tie, it wouldn't matter as much. No disrespect intended to those men who do wear ladies undergear, but I think it's silly. If someone were flaunting their silliness, I might think he had a real problem that needed some professional attention. However, should the same man wear an unbuttoned shirt or no shirt, he may still get some attention, but provided he had a rock solid build, some would probably think he was a cool guy. He gets a pass to cross the shirt boundary. If the same guy wore a speedo to the beach, he might get a pass if he was a serious swimmer (most guys don't get the speedo pass). If the same guy were going clubbing in some cities, he might even get a pass to wear heels, afterall, it's a party. While I don't advocate the need for societal approval (maybe I come close) pulling the look off AND being taken seriously was the main concern I was trying to express. More hours of the day than not, I need to be taken seriously -- it's a matter of urgency to make a good first and lasting impression for me in my job. Anyone else relate?

• 4 months later...

Men's button down shirt & skirt (knee length or shorter) OR dress (new addition to my wardrobe choices!) pantyhose with shaved legs heels lower arms still have hair, upper arms, chest, and shoulders do not clean-shaven face with heavy beard growth short hair in a typical male style no makeup In short, I make no attempt to present as female, but as a man who is fully comfortable and more "me" in typically female clothing.

My style is similar to Majo's only I wear women's jeans for the cut and the variance in leg openings that are available. They say a picture is worth a 1000 words.. This picture is a few years old but I haven't changed a bit. Just add 15 pounds to my weight, but hurry because it's already starting to come off! LOL Charlie

post-48-133522931972_thumb.jpg

Everything I say is a lie!.......I'm lying

When not in heels i tend to wear straight leg or slim fit jeans, with high heeled boots I wear skinny jeans. The rest of the clothing doesnt change. It clearly has a slightly more feminine look if you like due to the heels etc. Thats intentional and I like that but I don't wear skirts or dresses as thats not the look I'm aiming for. So I guess the heels are the main thing allowing me to dress with more the look I like. Unfortunately due to work the my hair, whilst not short, has to be kept in check.

William (and others),

Well, since I started this one, I should keep it going with an answer to that question. I remember the entire 70's, the cool cars, the cool music (pre-disco) and the fact that some entire states were a single area code. Your observations about certain noted high-heel wearing personalities is well noted but you ask how can we change society's overall view?? This again sounds like the need to to ask for acceptance. Women never asked for a green light to wear tattoos, stop wearing dresses and change to pants, or even wear jeans, t-shirts, or sneakers clearly marketed for guys. Trust me, if a genetic girl walks into a mall in guy's jeans, a guy's shirt and converse basketball sneakers nobody cares. If a genetic guy walks in behind her in a simple skirt and heels all of sudden many folks can't catch their next breath. Most people are sheep, not independent leaders, and will not be able to articulate why they have a double-standard of fashion awareness. The way to change society's view is by exposure just the way the girls did it. If one is to judge one's character just by their shoes alone then that person is showing the truly narrow scope of their own being. I have learned to accept tattooed women, guys with earrings, both sexes with pierced noses and lips, girls dressed like guys and guys who wear high heels and those who like to dress fully en femme. This isn't a left LIBERAL issue as some might have you think or a right CONSERVATIVE issue but a COMMON SENSE issue. It takes great energy to distrust and hate others but hardly any energy to simply accept others, and all the individuality they can bring, on this big blue planet.

So, there you have it, change brought about by the unfettered exercise of freedom. YOUR tattoos, MY high heels, OUR stride of liberty.

HappyinHeels:wavey:

Thanks for giving us the opportunity to write about how we fit the heels we desire, in appeasing the attiring taste each one of us prefers. It shouldn't matter what social label a person has, the real important issue is what will the individual see in their reflection? Does it satisfy the look they have invisioned for their desires. The freedoms we desire come with a cost to be able to enjoy them freely. This involves modifying the stereotype to include the concept and importance of personal choice. We have to be examples of out of the box pioneers so that others expect such behaviors and choices. These displays don't have to be extreme, but they do have to fit our concepts for the person we are.

Many men have expressed their need to appear fully dressed as women in order to wear the heels they want. There are a lot of men, who have said they won't wear heels for whatever their reasoning. Other men are picky as to the type of heels they will wear, so that there would be no question as to their social identity. Then there are the men, who choose to wear spike or stiletto heels with their enhanced or stereotypical male wardrobe. In this paragraph, interchanging the word "women" for the word "men" and visa versa would be just as applicable.

So, what do I look like? In the reflection, I see a guy with a full head of relatively short hair and a clean shaven face, wearing flannel or dress shirts with at least one breast pocket (maybe two), belted bootcut jeans or slacks of regular length with four or five pockets, and 4 to 5" stiletto heeled (usually patent) pumps with knee-hi nylons or stockings. The colors are somewhat coordinated depending on the mood, activity, or availability. The reflection also depicts a fairly slender fellow that doesn't leave the table soon enough or he doesn't exercise enough to remove the love handles or junior. As to what I look like in other's perception is also subject to interpretation. Hopefully, they see a guy walking and moving gracefully in stiletto heels.

Provided we look like healthy, happy, well-adjusted people, then we look like healthy, happy, well-adjusted people. Who cares what we may look like to the few narrow-minded idiots in this world?

Those who really care about us don't make a fuss about what we wear. Those who make a fuss about what we wear really don't care about us.

Hi All, My style has evolved over many years of openly wearing heels and I am at a comfort point now where I enjoy what I feel like whenever I feel like it. My limitations are based on clothing practicality (for where I'm going and what I'm doing) rather than because I'm not bold enough to give it a go. I don't want to be a 'girl' in heels, but rather a 'man' in heels and I have a polarised combination going on, top half quite masculine, lower half very feminine. Most people see me and identify me as a guy in heels. I openly wear heels and enjoy the liberation I get wearing them, the attention heels can pull (for any wearer) and I enjoy choosing outfits based on how I feel that day, and how I know I will feel wearing it. So my image is typically pencil skirt suits with fitted shirts. Skirts are typically a few inches above the knee or mid thigh in length. I generally have 2 skirts for each suit (usually one is short). I carry a handbag because its practical (there aren't pockets in pencil skirts and fitted jackets look unsightly with bulges in them) and because I can coordinate a handbag with my shoes. I prefer the look of very high and fine stilettos, the more detailed the better. I wear bright colours and enjoy the multitude of styles, although I mainly wear pumps/ slings/ d'orsays & mules. I coordinate heels/ ties/ pocket squares/ handbags/ belts to achieve a corporate classy look. I spend hours grooming my legs, full leg waxes, daily full leg exfoliation and moisturising and a pedicure every week. I'll most often go bare legged or will wear very sheer stockings for colour (near black or londre). I wear anklets in summer but never under hosiery. I am happy for my heels and legs to be on display. I also get my shoes regularly re-heeled with metal heels because I prefer the sound and am used to metal (and they do wear down quite quickly). I know I can 'work' my heels, I regularly get told I am good at walking in heels. I can do almost anything in stilettos. I regularly get pretty tipsy after work every Friday and have no issues with wearing my heels when drunk. Similarly I know how to wear skirts of different lengths, what I can and can't do in each style etc... so I don't get into silly situations to embarass myself. It has taken years to build this confidence/knowledge but it is so worth it. So I know how 'to move' in my chosen clothes and move decisively without dithering at common situations, and amongst a crowd. This I think is my best asset. I try to make sure I have the highest heels and best presented/ coordinated lower half of any person I encounter (who is also wearing high heels) during my day. Does that make sense? I do try really hard to have a well groomed appearance. I enjoy being a bit of a flirt at times, and its fun dressing a bit 'sexier' if I feel like it - because it feels great. I usually always get compliments (or the ignore - which is also fine). Cheers Heel-Lover

Was away from the computer a few days and see this thread has been revived. You all have turned it into the fountain of free-flowing expressions of fashion that I envisioned. I do hope the "2nd Annual North American Heel Meet" is scheduled soon as I may be out West in April or May. I do look forward to meeting some of our forumers there if the timing is right.Whomever shows up just remember these words for confidence; My Shoes, Your Shoes, Together We Stride for Liberty. HappyinHeels:wavey::)

• 4 months later...

Then there are the men, who choose to wear spike or stiletto heels with their enhanced or stereotypical male wardrobe.

This pretty much is the look that I try to convey. This also a style that pretty much makes the stiletto heels pop. I do think that the shoes we wear says alot about us. It's too bad that 99.9% of the population are too thick to comprehend what our shoes are saying.

Shafted, the boots that is! View my gallery here http://www.hhplace.o...afteds-gallery/ or view my heeling thread here http://www.hhplace.org/topic/3850-new-pair-of-boots-starts-me-serious-street-heeling/ - Pm me if you want fashion advice or just need someone to talk to.

MrsF thinks I'm silly !!! Perhaps I'll post a picture of us both later, better make sure I look ok for Amanda though :-)

High heels are the shoes I choose to put on, respect my choice as I repect yours.

Reading this thread I noticed that there seems to be a trend that body type and figure play a key role in how fem we are willing to go. Those who have acheived a high level of confidence going full fem or "bottom half" admit to being slim, light or having "good figure." Others with a more classic masculine appearence seem to go for a boots and jeans approach. Personally I believe I'm too large in the chest and shoulders to ever get away with a more fem look (spent too long in the gym). If I had a different build I'd love to try a fem look like Heel-lover describes, but I find the idea of such a look on me quite repulsive. Instead I go full a more masculine apprearance of jeans and black stiletto biker /rocker / platform boot either under or over jeans. The heels in my avatar are the ones I don't believe I could ever pull off in public.

Reading this thread I noticed that there seems to be a trend that body type and figure play a key role in how fem we are willing to go.

That's true, but I also think that we all (guys and girls) have such a huge variety of body shapes and proportions, and sure the average guy is probably taller and heavier than the average woman but that's just the average. When you look at all the different types of body shape (apple shape, pear shape, etc) there's a lot of scope for overlap and finding looks that work with male features too. It's just a case a figuring out the tricks and how to combine them, which is easier said than done but maybe that's all part of the fun of it.

The heels in my avatar are the ones I don't believe I could ever pull off in public.

I guess rather than thinking "how can a guy pull off these shoes?" it'd be better to think "if a woman had my body shape what would she wear with these shoes to pull off the overall look?". I mean a bright pink puff-sleeve cropped top and clingy black mini-skirt would probably emphasize everything you don't like about your shoulder/waist/hip proportions, but a black tailored jacket falling to the hips over a light-coloured knee-length A-line dress/skirt might rebalance your proportions in a way you're happier with in a very feminine and elegant style.

Personally I always thought I'd have to aim for an impossibly feminine illusion to pull off some of my favourite shoes, but since I started wearing my heels in public I've felt that the androgynous aspects of female fashion can be a really useful tool for blurring the gender polarity instead of being stuck in the stereotypes, and that's given me a good starting point to build confidence from step by step.

If you like it, wear it.

But I do think facial hair that we may wear more to please someone else has a limiting factor to our desire to heel like we'd like. What do you all think???????????????????

HappyinHeels

The few times I've camped in sub-zero weather, I'm glad I had facial hair. I usually grew it during the couple of days to get there, so I understand why it's common among the male hunters of our species and not among those who stayed back.

Otherwise, I haven't a clue as to why most males, including myself, shave it off on a regular basis.

I would be happy if it didn't grow at all. A simple scarf or balaclava provides much better protection against the elements.

Those who really care about us don't make a fuss about what we wear. Those who make a fuss about what we wear really don't care about us.

I guess rather than thinking "how can a guy pull off these shoes?" it'd be better to think "if a woman had my body shape what would she wear with these shoes to pull off the overall look?". I mean a bright pink puff-sleeve cropped top and clingy black mini-skirt would probably emphasize everything you don't like about your shoulder/waist/hip proportions, but a black tailored jacket falling to the hips over a light-coloured knee-length A-line dress/skirt might rebalance your proportions in a way you're happier with in a very feminine and elegant style.

Personally I always thought I'd have to aim for an impossibly feminine illusion to pull off some of my favourite shoes, but since I started wearing my heels in public I've felt that the androgynous aspects of female fashion can be a really useful tool for blurring the gender polarity instead of being stuck in the stereotypes, and that's given me a good starting point to build confidence from step by step.

Thanks....That's very inspirational. Clearly I've got a lot of thinking and experimentation ahead of me. Exploring androgynous fashion is most appealing to as thats the direction I've been leaning.

Reading this thread I noticed that there seems to be a trend that body type and figure play a key role in how fem we are willing to go. Those who have acheived a high level of confidence going full fem or "bottom half" admit to being slim, light or having "good figure." Others with a more classic masculine appearence seem to go for a boots and jeans approach.

Personally I believe I'm too large in the chest and shoulders to ever get away with a more fem look (spent too long in the gym). If I had a different build I'd love to try a fem look like Heel-lover describes, but I find the idea of such a look on me quite repulsive. Instead I go full a more masculine apprearance of jeans and black stiletto biker /rocker / platform boot either under or over jeans. The heels in my avatar are the ones I don't believe I could ever pull off in public.

I am also quite muscular,but I find men's figure enhanced by so called female tops.Just it looks different, do not compare yourself to women!Society is doing a lot to put into our heads that men outside of the "masculine" visual box is gay,ridiculous and so on.

Hey All, Nice to see this thread I started is still interesting enough to draw replies. I think there's another aspect I forgot to mention. You could have relatively short like me (68.5"/174cm), have rounded shoulders and have rather nice legs and feet and not make the opportunities to go out heeling or dressing happen for you. Many of us are busy or we are busy AND have family considerations as limiting factors. But, at the very least, we can always curl up to our computer and enjoy all there is on hhplace!! HappyinHeels:wave: