Food, civilization and heels

Pumpfan

It seems to me that great food, sexy heels and a civilization are all linked together, but nothing personal guys and girls, but why is England so lacking in decent food? They have civilization, heels, gorgeous women and beautiful food service. I wont say anything about the Polish except there is no Polish restaurant in the world's second largest Polish (populated) city, they wear clunky heels at best, and love bright plaid!

I suppose American food is particularly fantastic then? when I stayed in San Diego, apart from Mc******'s and B***** ***g et al, there were no American restuarants at all. There were French, Spanish, Greek, Chinese, Italian, Mexican, "texmex", Lebanese, Turkish, Japanese, etc but no American. No, I don't think the food is linked to civilisation but I think that heels are.

Graduate footwear designer able to advise and assist on modification and shoe making projects.

I wont say anything about the Polish except there is no Polish restaurant in the world's second largest Polish (populated) city, they wear clunky heels at best, and love bright plaid!

If you go to downtown Chicago, you will see very attractively dressed women, and some of them will be wearing heels. Skyscraper Heels is there, too. Somebody's wearing them.

If you go to the suburbs, you will see the same picture you see in most northern suburbs.

why is England so lacking in decent food?

Like the oversold fast food crap shovelled by the bucket load down the throats of Americans, so we can all be as obese as the majority of America?

No thanks.

When in rome my friend.... :smile:

Heels for Men // Legwear Fashion // HHPlace Guidelines

If something doesn't look right, please report the content ASAP!

but why is England so lacking in decent food? They have civilization, heels, gorgeous women and beautiful food service.

England ISN'T lacking in decent food. We have some of the finest food on the Planet.

It may not be as exotic as some of the European dishes, it may not be as flashy as some of the American dishes, it may not be as spicy and exciting as South American or Asian dishes - but it DOES look and smell appetising, tastes wonderful - and it leaves you fully satisfied with a warm glow inside....

...just like English women do too!!!:smile::)

"Good Girls keep diaries....Bad Girls just don't have the time...!:icon_twisted:"

My experience in England is fairly limited to London, Cambridge, and the areas around Gatwick and Bishops Stortford, but we have always found great food. Sometimes you can find some that is not so great, but on the whole I think English food is excellent. I remember a pub in London (The Old Gentleman or something like that) with a dining room upstairs. The only problem was being able to have something you really liked again, as the menu seemed to be different every day.

I grew up eating solely English food, so of course I love it! I think it tastes like food is supposed to taste - like the ingredients which went into the meal. Plus, it always reminds me of my family. While I enjoy most European foods, I can't stand spicy stuff, or "curries", or any other foreign muck.

I'm sure you could find a McDonalds if you looked hard enough. :smile:

That reminds me of an amusing occurrence.

Last Summer, I was walking down my local High Street (I live in a medium sized tourist town on the South Coast of the UK) and I was approached by a group of young Chinese girls - most likely Students on Summer courses.

I said "Hello" with a big smile (as I do to everyone) - and they replied smiling, "Hello....you have fast food??"

I pointed to the only 'fast food' outlet in the high street and said "English Fish and Chips".

They looked at me utterly horrified and said "What - NO MacDonalds?!" - as if the sky had just fallen in!:silly:

And then - they took a photograph of it - as if it was a quaint old curio!!:)

(On that note - in our small town we have a MacDonalds (out of town), THREE KFC's, a Burger King, a Domino's Pizza, a 'Subway', two 'Pizza Hut's' and a 'TGI Friday' - as well as dozens of locally owned Chinese Takeaways, Indian Takeaways - and Chicken and Chips and Fish and Chips shops).

"Good Girls keep diaries....Bad Girls just don't have the time...!:icon_twisted:"

Pussyinboots:-) In our local area we have all of the fast food places that you mentioned and then some. When Mickey and I are out and looking for some fast food we always end up at McDonalds. You just can't beat their fries for good taste and we both love them. When Mickey is in a rehab home or the hospital I eat frequently at McDonalds. I just love their Egg Mcmuffins and hash browns for breakfast and they have many tasty full meals to take care of the rest of the day. Even our dog likes their hamburgers and fries. Cheers--- Dawn HH

High Heeled Boots Forever!

Aside from brat and sauerkraut, I'm too fond of German food, either! As for British food, bangers and mashers is a favorite, as are fish and chips. :smile: Dr. Shoe, American food is rare represented by chains, but there are some, including Country Cooking, IHOP, Crackerbarrel, Mama's Kitchen, Village Inn, Denny's, etc. Most of the truly American resturants, though, are mom and pop shops - holes in the wall, but very good tasting food. :) And looking on Mapquest in central LA, I spotted dozens within a mile of wherever I looked.

Those who really care about us don't make a fuss about what we wear. Those who make a fuss about what we wear really don't care about us.

well, as far as today is concerned, I'm all for corned beef & cabbage (saint patricks day)!!!:smile:

In all of my many visits to the UK I've managed to find good food every time. I've never have eaten "boiled beef" or Polly pudden. But, while food in some of the other cities in Europe suite my taste better, I don't believe anyone will starve eating english food.

When it comes to food, demoniaplatforms comments underscores the problem with "American" cuisine. There is no such thing as "American" food. There is food that has been made popular by American business and there is regional food....Home Style Southern Cooking (ala Paula Deen, my mother-in-law, wife, et al.) Every style of cuisine known to man is available here. Granted there is a greater selection in the larger cities like New York, Chicago and Los Angles, for instance.

Living a large part of my childhood and younger adult life in the Washington, DC area (Manassas), I know of an authentic German restaurant west and south of Culpeper on Rt 29 -- between Culpeper and Madison. The family that owns and operates this restaurant owns and operates an identical restaurant in Germany. (I've been to both). In fact, the family spends part of the year in Germany and part of the year at the restaurant in Virginia. There is also an Italian restaurant in Manassas that is own and operated by a family that emigrated to the US from Florence, Italy back in the 50's. My parents often took our family there for Sunday dinner. And, the food was, in my opinion, equal or better than any meal that I ever ate in any restaurant in Rome, when we lived there.

And, how about those mom and pop Mexican restaurants in El Paso, Albuquerque or San Antonio? Only difference between them and a restaurant in Mexico is that the ones in the US have to pass a Department of Health inspection.

On a visit to Beijing one August, I was a guest at a Banquet in the Great Hall of the People. Conversation with my dinner partner, an official from the Chinese Office of Foreign Affairs, Office of Protocol, mentioned that she had spent several months working at the Chinese Embassy in Washington. I asked her if she had difficulty with the food there. She replied: Not at all. There seemed to be a great Chinese restaurant with wonderful food on every street corner.

The point of this is that when your national culture is a conglomeration of every culture on earth, it's very, very difficult to point to authentic "American" cooking--- unless, of course, you consider true southern cooking..... Emm, southern fried chicken, corn pie, pit cooked pork BBQ, hush puppies and country ham, grits and red eye gravy (Is it any wonder that the instances of high blood pressure and heart attacks is so high.)

But, should you ever eat a meal at Paula Deen's place in Savannah, when you're finished, you'll actually think you've "died and gone to heaven......"

:silly::)

Being mentally comfortable in your own mind is the key to wearing heels in public.

Being in the Chicago area, I have a wide selection of food from many many many many different ethnicities. I am of Mexican descent and by far have had the hardest time staying away from the delicious steak burritos offered at the restaurants in my area. :smile: Second on that list is really high quality pizza from Salerno's. The pizza tastes fantastic and it is definitely on my menu of my favorite foods. Also, I absolutely love the taste of the Whopper from Burger King and have stopped eating food from McDonalds. On a trip to Washington DC, me and a group from school went to an Indian restaurant and spent around $250 for a group of 8 students on delicious indian food.

• 2 weeks later...

... (I live in a medium sized tourist town on the South Coast of the UK) ... in our small town we have a MacDonalds (out of town), THREE KFC's, a Burger King, a Domino's Pizza, a 'Subway', two 'Pizza Hut's' and a 'TGI Friday' - as well as dozens of locally owned Chinese Takeaways, Indian Takeaways - and Chicken and Chips and Fish and Chips shops).

It's competition time: which town is that, then? One clue must be in the 'out of town MacDonalds' (which suggests the retention of a meagre element of civic pride) rather than one in the town. Now, where's my Yellow Pages ...? But, wait a minute, TGI Fridays are rather thin on the South Coast ... does the town start with an 'F'?

I feel like I'm pulling a culinary Benedict Arnold here...but I generally prefer food in Britain! Note I didn't say British food--but food in Britain. Indian food tastes so much better there as does Japanese, Spanish, and Greek food. (Chinese food in the UK, however, is not great...I prefer that in the US. More of the Szechuan variety I think, meaning hotter and spicier.) I do like fish and chips a lot. But what I miss even more are the carveries: my absolute favorite. As I recall, they seemed to be disappearing quickly back in the late 90s, partly because of the BSE scare. There's nothing like good ol' roast beef (yes, I know there's even a folk song about the roast beef of England) and lamb, and yes, Yorkshire pudding. I'm also a big glutton for meat pies, particularly the kinds you find at local summer fairs. I miss M & S quite a bit too. As an American, I was surprised at the variety of food there during the early '90s, especially ethnic food (even if it was probably somewhat Westernized). Where else can you find prawn crackers outside of Chinatown? In America, I love Tex-mex and barbeque--even though I grew up on the East coast and Midwest. I have yet to try some truly authentic Southern food, partly because I've rarely traveled down there except for conferences. (I did like the po' boys in New Orleans tho' but didn't get to sample any real Creole food.) One of these days when flying becomes less of a hassle...

I'm a meat and potatoes type of eater. Does that come from my Anglo-Saxon pedigree or some other influence? I also relish some Chinese dishes, like beef or chicken chow mein, sweet and sour chicken, almond and cashew chicken, and stir fried ensembles. Of course, they have usually been altered to satisfy the American gullet. Whopping down a bucket of crunchy Southern fried chicken with cole slaw, creamed corn, and hot oven buttered rolls is a meal I have often satisfied frequent longings to experience. A chile relleno, beef chimichanga, combination meat burrito, chicken quesadilla, quacamole salad, and/or served with a generous portions of shredded lettuce, sour cream and longhorn cheese are meals I can't stay away from for any great lengths of time. Also include with these mexican staples are plates of beef or tuna tacos with a side order of toasted corn chips and salsa, refried beans and Spanish rice. Who can forget a plate of spagetti and meat balls covered with button mushrooms, tomato sauce, and a diced vegetable concoction and of course topping the whole platter with finely shredded mozzarella and granulated parmesan cheese. I can't take it anymore, there are many others that I can name, but I've worked up a bit of an appetite. So enjoy!

It's competition time: which town is that, then? One clue must be in the 'out of town MacDonalds' (which suggests the retention of a meagre element of civic pride) rather than one in the town. Now, where's my Yellow Pages ...? But, wait a minute, TGI Fridays are rather thin on the South Coast ... does the town start with an 'F'?

No....'C', and the Civic Pride is VERY high, which is why ALL the major fast food chains are in out-of-town locations. The only ones actually in the high street are the Fish and Chips shop and one Chinese Take-Away....all the rest are cafes and restaurants.

No....'C', and the Civic Pride is VERY high, which is why ALL the major fast food chains are in out-of-town locations. The only ones actually in the high street are the Fish and Chips shop and one Chinese Take-Away....all the rest are cafes and restaurants.

Something does not gell here, Pussy! You said a south coast town, medium-sized and beginning with 'C'. :smile: Even going a little inland, there are very few 'C' towns (of any size) between Margate and Weymouth (or even further west) and none of them appears to have a TGI Friday in or near it. So, I am stumped for the moment - any more clues you care to give?

Something does not gell here, Pussy! You said a south coast town, medium-sized and beginning with 'C'. :smile: Even going a little inland, there are very few 'C' towns (of any size) between Margate and Weymouth (or even further west) and none of them appears to have a TGI Friday in or near it. So, I am stumped for the moment - any more clues you care to give?

Well you know, you're right!:) But why are you so bothered about the 'TGI Friday' where I live??!!:)

We are the 'C' next to Bournemouth, and my best friend told me last night that the 'TGI Friday' here closed down about 4 years ago!!:silly: It just shows how often me and my husband go into town of an evening these days!

Mind you, that has a lot to do with the streets being chock full of drunken, night-clubbing teenagers most weekdays and weekends. Bournemouth is now the nation's Number 2 'trouble hotspot' according to Police statistics, and we have the one of the highest percentages of under-18 ASBO's in the Country.

Well you know, you're right!:) But why are you so bothered about the 'TGI Friday' where I live??!!:)

We are the 'C' next to Bournemouth, and my best friend told me last night that the 'TGI Friday' here closed down about 4 years ago!!:silly: It just shows how often me and my husband go into town of an evening these days!

Mind you, that has a lot to do with the streets being chock full of drunken, night-clubbing teenagers most weekdays and weekends. Bournemouth is now the nation's Number 2 'trouble hotspot' according to Police statistics, and we have the one of the highest percentages of under-18 ASBO's in the Country.

Thanks, Pussy! I had identified your C as one of two possibles (the other being Chichester) but neither has a TGI. And Chichester has two McDs, one being in the town. I haven't the slightest interest in your TGI, or any other (and don't think I've ever been to one) but it was easy to find which towns in England have one, or do not.

But I have been to McDonalds in Christchurch for a snack whilst shopping locally ('In Excess') en route to a short break in Bomo last June. You are probably right about Bomo being a troublespot in the evenings (my younger son was at Uni there and was not impressed with the social scene, compared with his hometown of Brighton) but I have a soft spot for it, certainly in the daytime. Westbourne with the chines and pines is a very restful area and (back on topic) some pleasant restaurants serving a wide range of food that even fussy and obese Americans might benefit from. :smile:

This should have read:

Aside from brat and sauerkraut, I'm not too fond of German food, either!

As for British food, bangers and mashers is a favorite, as are fish and chips. :smile:

Dr. Shoe, American food is rarely represented by chains, but there are some, including Country Cooking, IHOP, Crackerbarrel, Mama's Kitchen, Village Inn, Denny's, etc. Most of the truly American resturants, though, are mom and pop shops - holes in the wall, but very good tasting food. :) And looking on Mapquest in central LA, I spotted dozens within a mile of wherever I looked.

Those who really care about us don't make a fuss about what we wear. Those who make a fuss about what we wear really don't care about us.