Feminine colors on Men

ChipsHH

Now I do see some great styles of heels on Tv, in stores, and the like. But some styles seem "too feminine" for men; and what I mean is: pink and red and yellow seem to yell, "BANNED FROM MEN'S WEARING! KEEP OFF!" I admit that some of the styles do look very good, with one time showing that pink was the only color in my size, but can they be strutted by men? So they look girly. They are (as always said) just shoes, right? But is their a color boundary stopping us once again from wearing it, or can we treat it, meaning the 'feminine' colors, as any other black or white patent or leather heel?

Formally "HHDude"

I'll have to confess, I can understand why women have to have umpteen pairs of black shoes. In our case, that's what seems to be less "out of place". That said though, I have a pair of red canvas espadrilles I wore out once for the heck of it, and while there was nothing subtle about them, hardly any reaction. See my "Adventures of Radiodave" thread; I think I have a picture of them in there. I'd like to wear more colors other than black, brown, or gray more often though.

I agree that some shoes and colors can be a bit to feminine. However, I never really let that stop me. If I like a shoe, I will wear it wherever I choose. Recently I had very nice outings in a pair of red pumps, red peep toes and red boots. And yes I was noticed and no I didn't care. Quite the contrary, actually, I looked good and felt good wearing them and I am glad I was noticed. You can see my red shoes and outfits at http://www.hhplace.org/discuss/guys/11955-happy_feats_happyfeat-2.html#post181362 .

Also, there is a thread on http://www.hhplace.org/discuss/guys/11843-colors.html that almost 100 guys have responded to. Not surprisingly, over half of the respondents ONLY have black or brown shoes and the respondents who volunteered more information mainly said that they may own other colors, but only wear black and brown shoes outside. This is understandable since most guys who heel wan to avoid too much attention.

The one think I found interesting about the poll is that if a respondent owned a color other than black or brown it was red with white a close second.

It all depends on your taste and style. Wear what you like and incorporate your shoes into the entire look.

Style is built from the ground up!

Out of the now 25 pairs I own, only 2 are red and 2 are brown. Rest are black. Nothing to do with whether the color is too feminine or not, rather how I liked the shoe it seems. Maybe it's because I can match black so easily? I am sure I'll get some other colors this winter (minus white of course)...we'll see.

Walking in ultra-highs because it's exciting...and it is!!

The majority of my high heels are black, a few navy blue pair. These match most of the out fits that I wear with my high heels. I have one pair of candy apple red high heels that I bought years ago. I just wear those around the house.

So I guess black and white can look good with anything while other colors are almost made for a specific color shirt and wardrobe. There's red peep-toes at Macy's I was planning on getting tomorrow if they didn't have black, so I guess that's how the question came up really.

Formally "HHDude"

I own red, pink, blue, black, white, gold, silver, blk/wht, patents, and probably a couple of other colors. Its makes no difference to me. I wear in the privacy of my home and while driving. I'm not trying to make a fashion statement to myself. I enjoy wearing heels and sometimes the color alone makes my mood and how I feel.

t-straps are my favorite style.

So I guess black and white can look good with anything while other colors are almost made for a specific color shirt and wardrobe. There's red peep-toes at Macy's I was planning on getting tomorrow if they didn't have black, so I guess that's how the question came up really.

I was talking to the manager of a shoe store I frequent and she said that she really encourages people to buy red shoes because in her opinion it goes with almost anything that black would work with.

As for the red peep toes, if you like them, get them. But then again, I have red peep toes that I adore and wear. If you get them, please post a pic!

Most of my shoes & boots are black. Except 2 brown boots, 1 pair of brown shoes and 1 pair of white 3½" sandals for "around the house" only. They are too "girly" for outside wear but they look nice and I like them...Also VERY comfortable to wear :winkiss: (See picture below)

post-14338-133522869956_thumb.jpg

Happyfeat: With all due respect to your shoe store manager's opinion about red shoes going with everything that black goes with, she's wrong. There are basically two color codes in the fashion biz: "Color code 1" includes red, blue, purple and other colors that have red and don't have any yellow in them. Color code 2 includes yellow, orange, yellowish green and colors without much red in them. The two codes don't mix very well. For instance, red shoes would clash with orange or red-orange pants or dress. Red and yellow can look odd (that's why Ronald McDonald looks funny), and red and yellow-green can look terrible together. Even within the realm of red, there are fire-engine reds (code 1) and orange-ish reds (code 2), and they don't go well together. Black, on the other foot, really does go with just about everything, including most reds. So does white. GWL

With flip flops for example, I get razzed for red one, turquoise, or even white ones. Some people say that are too girly - even though they are "guy" flip flops. I told one of my friends that when I wear pink toenail polish that I don't find it girlie at all - i just think it looks good. She totally agreed with me saying it didn't have the same affect on her, only that she thought it looked tropical on her. I guess it is all a matter of opinion.

Yes canadianbeaver17, It is all a matter of opinion. Some groups or some people back in history somewhere, got the wild hair to classify things. Who knows what criteria they founded their data on, but they were obviously limited in the knowledge of who people really are. Now, after much time has passed and their categories are established in social stone, so to speak, we are left with the inaccurate and misleading assumptions as to the personal feelings and desires of each individual. We are blinded by the demands of society to conform to the traditional standards. If you can't believe that red is a hot color, blue is for cold water or air, pink is feminine, and dull brown or black is masculine, then you are not socially adhering and in danger of being ostracized by the social hoods that enforce such things. REMEMBER: The only thing that is constant is change. What ever is socially correct to wear today, hasn't always had the same status. Powdered wigs, ruffled shirts, tights, and elevated heeled shoe were appropriate masculine attire at different times, historically. If enough people are willing to exhibit a certain look, it is usually labeled, copied, and marketed. Some of the men who walked a mile for the cause of ending the abuse of women, the cause of breast cancer awareness, and the cause of other social concerns, did so in pink heels and their feet didn't become feminine.

Happyfeat:

With all due respect to your shoe store manager's opinion about red shoes going with everything that black goes with, she's wrong.

There are basically two color codes in the fashion biz: "Color code 1" includes red, blue, purple and other colors that have red and don't have any yellow in them. Color code 2 includes yellow, orange, yellowish green and colors without much red in them. The two codes don't mix very well. For instance, red shoes would clash with orange or red-orange pants or dress. Red and yellow can look odd (that's why Ronald McDonald looks funny), and red and yellow-green can look terrible together. Even within the realm of red, there are fire-engine reds (code 1) and orange-ish reds (code 2), and they don't go well together.

Black, on the other foot, really does go with just about everything, including most reds. So does white.

GWL

Thanks for the information. However, I think I did not explain my point very well. My interpretation of the point she was making was more practical than theoretical. Of course red would clash with yellow or green or orange. However, how often does anybody actually wear red or green or yellow trousers. Sure some people may opt for a dress of one of these colors, or even a suit, but I am willing to bet that they will match the color of their shoes to that outfit.

Again, I am assuming that since this thread is directed toward men wearing heels that if a guy is not comfortable going out in heels to begin with or prefers wearing black or other neutral colors, the likelyhood of him going out in yellow or green pants is not very likely.

Since most people wear jeans, red would match just fine. It would match just as well as black or brown. Red, for example can look just as nice with a blue or even a black suit as well as with black. I have even seen women wearing yellow and white shoes with blue, black, and even brown suits that looked amazing. As far as what is in style today, I still see her point.

The reason I mentioned her point it two fold. One is to offer that if you are comfortable going out in heels and wish to move into a more "feminine" or exotic look, do so. If you can wear black with your jeans or trousers, consider another color if you like. The second is to point out that if you wear heels as a fashion statement, nobody makes a statement by following the herd or the rules.

Thanks for the color code information. That is something I will explore because HHPlace has been a great place to learn about such things.

...snip...The second is to point out that if you wear heels as a fashion statement, nobody makes a statement by following the herd or the rules.....

Good point including a key word:statement!

"Statement" pieces can range the gamut of the entire wardrobe and the phrase is frequently applied among professional fashion industry insiders: from a "statement" necklace (loud, shouts, think super sized Marni necklace, 'look at me'), to a statement trench (think fire engine red), to a statement headpiece (think vintage 1920's flapper), statement pieces make you stand out.

Our heels are a mere "Statement Piece" in our wardrobe.

Feminine Style .  Masculine Soul.  Skin In The Game.

I quite agree with Kneehigh's statement of "statement". Some of us will definately "push" the envelope and some of us will be quite content to be just "status quo", so to speak. That's what makes the world go around. It's called individualism. Cheers--- Dawn HH

High Heeled Boots Forever!

• 2 years later...

So... how does the color code sound now, 3 years later? :irked: Is pink still forbidden from the guys? And does black still truly go with everything? Is it just black, or other colors now?

Formally "HHDude"

Guys are wearing pink. On several occasions the plant manager where I used to work wore pink. Black does go with everything. Black is a neutral color. Neutral colors range from white to black with the infinite shades of gray in between. However not all neutrals are so boring. Very dark colors like navy are also neutrals. Pastels can be neutral but a little more care is required to not clash.

Shafted, the boots that is! View my gallery here http://www.hhplace.o...afteds-gallery/ or view my heeling thread here http://www.hhplace.org/topic/3850-new-pair-of-boots-starts-me-serious-street-heeling/ - Pm me if you want fashion advice or just need someone to talk to.

although not quite feminine colours related, it does seem relevant... my partner recently bought me a whole bunch of new shirts for work. But instead of black, grey, tan (i never did white) etc. They were rich and deep colours. red, aqua, blue, purple. (You can find them in Tarocash and Connors here in australia). They definately weren't a 'go with the mainstream' type of shirt but more a 'hey, stuff this normality bull' kind of shirt. The sheer comments from my workmates just because they were not the boring standard colours was strangely complexing. It feels very much like someone bucking the trend of what is expected is quite hard to comprehend for some ingrained in what things should be like instead. Every day i still get a comment about having to wear sunnies cos they are so bright. But it has helped me with the common statement throughout a lot of threads on here. I wear them proudly and confidently as they sure as hell make me feel happier and better about myself, they brighten up my day at the least and frankly that's enough for me. And in return I give it back to them for being boring and stuck in the normality. The latest shirt she has added to my wardrobe is a pink shirt. not the pale salmon but more the rich deep type. I am expecting the inevitable comments but i love all these colours and I am not going to let others keep me down for stepping off the boring bus. So I guess if one wears whatever colour they want to wear confidently, and they are happy with how they feel then that should be all that matters. Now if only i can apply that mentality for myself to wearing heels and a skirt in public and around my friends, then I would be set :irked:...i'll get there, the door is ajar now, so who knows.

My wardrobe is vast when it comes to shirts. Shockingly I only have 4 pairs of pants - 2black, 2dark gray. I have pretty much every color from black to white through purples, blues, greens, reds and a few reds. I don't feel I suit pale colors like yellows or pastels as they emphasis my pale white complexion so avoid those. I've had plenty of comments from "Hello Vicker" (reference to my black shirts) to "Oh my god my eyes!" (reference to a shocking black/bright green pinstripe shirt). I laugh it off though. To me I feel the easiest in a fitted purple shirt with black pants and my heels with perhaps a cardigan to take the edge off the block colors - it's how I'd personally dress if I was to wear what I wanted to the office. Chris

So a few years after my first reply, I will add: For shirts, I have a pretty wide range of colors that pretty much cover the spectrum. However, I have stayed away from pink, purple, and bright yellow, otherwise anything goes. For pants, most are blue or black jeans, and some black, brown, grey, and tan trousers. I also wear shorts, in very similar earthy and darker colors as well. For shoes, still pretty close to what I said a few years back, the vast majority are black, with a few browns and grays thrown in. If I was ever to own a bold color in shoes, I might go for red as they look great on women, but I really doubt I would ever wear red shoes out myself. Just too much unwanted attention there. To summarize, I venture into many different colors for shirts, but otherwise keep it pretty neutral for the rest of my outfit.

HhDude, Like Shafted pointed out guys are indeed wearing pink. I have ample evidence that many men of prominence wear either pink shirts or pink ties either because it seems in vogue or because they are trying to make a statement of some kind but make no mistake about it; you are NOT going to be ridiculed for wearing either of these items in a full business or business casual situation. Pink on a man in this manner evokes respect and admiration as well as the usual ideas surrounding pink. Does he know a loved one with cancer or has been an active participant in breast cancer awareness or is it just that he is an open-minded and confident person?? Could be all of these and then again what the hell does it matter? If you like the color then wear it because life is too short to wish you had later on. HappyinHeels