Stockings - Recommended shopping for heels?

ChipsHH

Now, I was just imagining myself purchasing from Walgreen's or similar places, some stockings, to go under my jeans when I'm out shopping for heels. But the question came to mind, predominantly to stocking-wearing men on here: What size would you get?

Ok, maybe it's obvious on the packet, but will it be able to fit? I wanted to try this kinda as an experiment, not an every-time-I-go-out thing. I used one of the try-on stockings at Macy's one night (yeah, at night). The place was completely empty, so I used it to my advantage. Stretched them, slipped them on (felt good, mind you :winkiss:, put on the peep-toes, and walked around a bit, and my golly! I never felt so good with them both on, and never looked so good either, even if what I had on were long jeans and a random shirt. Lol.

Guess where I'm really trying to get at is...Would you recommend wearing stockings not only for try-on purposes, but for look & feel purposes as well? And if you do recommend it, does jeans necessarily look good while wearing them? I ask this because I may have looked [and felt] good with the little try-on stockings on That night (many moons ago), but it really doesn't mean I should always wear them OR that I'll always look and feel good with them on. But maybe it is a sense of style on my part. Can anyone help?

Formally "HHDude"

Last I looked at a package of stockings, they do give adequate sizing charts. You might look at www.comfilon.com too, they have stockings for men that are a little more "anatomically correct". I can understand if that's a little less convenient for you to order online, and the ones for women would work fine too. The other thing I do is wear women's trouser socks if I'm planning to try them on, since they are thin and look completely normal on a guy (the black ones at least).

Radiodave gives good advice about trouser socks. In fact, I have taken to wearing trouser socks most of the time I wear socks. I find them more comfortable and cheaper than men's socks and they do come in man unisex designs. Also, since the first nip in the air of fall has arrived, I wear tights almost every day. I love the look and feel of tights and they are great for keeping the legs warm. As for sizing, don't take this a gospel, but I have also found that I can usually go a size down in the weight on most hosiery sizing charts. I I am 6'2" and weigh about 215-220 lbs most of the time and hosiery that is sized for a maximum suggested weight of 200 lbs and 5'10" often work for me. When women wear their tights and nylons they often pull them up to their waist (naval) or even a bit higher. Since most men wear their pants below their natural waist, I find that them riding a bit low often works best. Since you are a Macy's shopper, I really like the Hue brand of tights and trouser socks. Usually, I buy them when they put them on clearance in a big bin in the hosiery department. I usually stock up in the Spring for the year. Just recently, I bought two pair of Hue tights at DSW, for a moderate discount, so just keep an eye out. Just another point - shoes do fit diferently when wearing hosiery. Again, it is my experience that I can get into a smaller shoe when wearing nylons, etc than I can with a bare foot. Some shoes I wear exclusively without nylons are just too big when I have them on. And it has been pointed out to me by the members of the board, wearing some form of hosiery just makes everything look more put together. I know I look better with than without. Of course, it depends on the shoes and the outfit. Besides when you have some form of sock, you don't have to get those awful little footie things to try on shoes!

Style is built from the ground up!

One thing to consider when comparing women's sizing charts, is that most women have a higher body fat percentage than men. As fat is less dense than muscle, a woman of a set weight (say 150 lbs) would need a larger size than a man of the same weight.

Good Morning HH Dude, I wear nude or tan pantihose everyday. Even if I'm not in heels. The feel is totally different and a lot more confortable than bare feet. Also you can wear a half size smaller shoe. Regardless weather I'm in dungarees or dress slacks; I wear nude or tan pantihose. They also provide better circulation and relieve leg cramps thoughout the day if you are on your feet alot. I work construction and I put in long days on my feet. I can't wait to change into heels as soon as I get into my car. Enjoy the feeling of nylons with your heels.

If you haven't learned something new today; you have wasted the day.

Last I looked at a package of stockings, they do give adequate sizing charts. You might look at www.comfilon.com too, they have stockings for men that are a little more "anatomically correct". I can understand if that's a little less convenient for you to order online, and the ones for women would work fine too. The other thing I do is wear women's trouser socks if I'm planning to try them on, since they aren't very thin and look completely normal on a guy (the black ones at least).

I had not heard of those. They look great and they are designed for men. I do wear women's trouser socks or vey sheer mens stockings when trying on high heels. I will look into the website you provided to us.

Guess where I'm really trying to get at is...Would you recommend wearing stockings not only for try-on purposes, but for look & feel purposes as well? ....

Can anyone help?

Dude, I always wear trouser socks, kneehighs or full fashion stockings when wearing trousers. They are the only type of socks that I wear. Trouser socks with boots and loafers, kneehighs and garterbelt and stockings with pumps, slingbacks and sometimes with sandals.

L'eggs trouser socks, Hanes silky sheer Kneehighs and Hanes stockings. Buy some and wear them all of the time......except, I would think, with sneakers.

Being mentally comfortable in your own mind is the key to wearing heels in public.

L'eggs trouser socks, Hanes silky sheer Kneehighs and Hanes stockings. Buy some and wear them all of the time......except, I would think, with sneakers.

Hm, well I usually take my socks off in the truck and go in to try on. And with the stockings, trouser socks, or anything else, I was thinking of wearing them under everything, including sneakers. What's wrong with wearing sneakers with stockings, etc.?

Oh, and thanks for the sites, dave and scott. I'll definately take a gander at them both. And I'll be looking for the Hue brand the next time I get a chance to go again, HappyFeat :winkiss:

Formally "HHDude"

Hm, well I usually take my socks off in the truck and go in to try on. And with the stockings, trouser socks, or anything else, I was thinking of wearing them under everything, including sneakers. What's wrong with wearing sneakers with stockings, etc.?

Nothing wrong with wearing them with sneakers. I just don't think they look good with sneakers. Besides, I don't wear sneakers, anyway. Always shoes or sandals. Actually you can put your regular socks over stockings. Besides, this is a personal choice. You can wear them or not, it's what ever you like.:winkiss:

Being mentally comfortable in your own mind is the key to wearing heels in public.

As I have posted before, I use the L'eggs Sheer Energy Active Support Pantyhose in the Suntan shade. You can find them most anywhere. I go at 193 lbs and at 5' 4.5" in height. The "A" size pantyhose are a bit tight to get on, but I have found that the "B" size fit me to a "T" and are extremely comfortable all day long and sometimes far into the night. There are many times through the years that I have been in hose and heeled boots for as long as 18 hours at a time and been quite comfortable doing it. When going to work, I have pulled my men's socks on over my pantyhose so that if my pant legs ride up a bit the hose doesn't show and noone knows the difference, and I have done this for years the year around no matter the weather or season. Cheers--- Dawn HH

High Heeled Boots Forever!

For regular every day wear, knee highs are my choice because they are like socks to put on and take off. They also don't cost as much to replace, and they usually come in packages of a dozen, if I watch for sales. I don't know about wearing hoes for peep toes and sandals. It would seem to diminish the effect of the bare look. Wearing sneakers with hoes kind of loses the allure for me. I've even tried to talk myself into getting some high heeled sneakers, but I haven't found any that I wanted to afford, yet. Now, there have been some denim pumps that looked really nice. May be, try them sometime.

• 2 years later...

And I still wonder if my black dress socks are acceptable to wear while out and about. I have a picture of me doing my "self-photo shoot" from a while ago. The black down in the shoes were my dress socks worn. I don't care about anyone else, cause I liked the look. I just need to try them out and about in the future. I'll get the picture Asap, cause I'm not on the computer that it's saved on.

Formally "HHDude"

Now, I was just imagining myself purchasing from Walgreen's or similar places, some stockings, to go under my jeans when I'm out shopping for heels. But the question came to mind, predominantly to stocking-wearing men on here: What size would you get?

Ok, maybe it's obvious on the packet, but will it be able to fit? I wanted to try this kinda as an experiment, not an every-time-I-go-out thing. I used one of the try-on stockings at Macy's one night (yeah, at night). The place was completely empty, so I used it to my advantage. Stretched them, slipped them on (felt good, mind you :irked:, put on the peep-toes, and walked around a bit, and my golly! I never felt so good with them both on, and never looked so good either, even if what I had on were long jeans and a random shirt. Lol.

Guess where I'm really trying to get at is...Would you recommend wearing stockings not only for try-on purposes, but for look & feel purposes as well? And if you do recommend it, does jeans necessarily look good while wearing them? I ask this because I may have looked [and felt] good with the little try-on stockings on That night (many moons ago), but it really doesn't mean I should always wear them OR that I'll always look and feel good with them on. But maybe it is a sense of style on my part. Can anyone help?

Definite YES for pantyhose or hosiery wearing, especially with heels. I grew up pretty much wearing pantyhose with heels, so aside from wearing (some) sandal style heels, pantyhose with heels is awesome.

I never tried the sheer sock when you try on heels, but based on the look of them, they don't look very sheer. When it comes to sizing, I would normally get where I fall in my size range with respect to height and weight. With those where I fall in the middle, I go the size bigger.

Actually, I have been wearing hosiery under my jeans more earlier this year when trying on heels at the stores. In addition, the feel of them under your jeans, even slacks, is like a party on your legs. Style-wise, I prefer sheer to waist or tanga-style pantyhose with no support. I've tried suspender pantyhose as well, though as the day wears on, I can feel the tops slide a little.

Also, you mentioned Macys as a store you frequent. A couple of posts cited HUE, which I'll agree. Hanes and Donna Karan are great, too. I haven't tried Berkeshire, but they look pretty good to try. Now, if you have a Nordstrom or Nordstrom Rack near you, pick up the Nordstrom brand hosiery. At Nordstrom Rack, their store brand pantyhose is no more than $5, and they feel awesome.

But, yes, try the hosiery with trying on heels. You will love the feel of it heeling.

I can comment on this, as I know something about the hosiery business. Most tights and pantyhose that are made for women are too short in the legs for most men. Obviously there are lots of exceptions, but men find they have to go to a larger size to get the leg length to fit. But larger women's sizes means bigger in the panty, so the waistband comes up to the armpits (and the legs still go south on you). A better choice is pantyhose for men. They are made to fit men, feel more comfortable, and last longer. Google "men's pantyhose" and you'll see a number of choices. I won't list our brand, because I don't want this post to seem like spam or be self-serving. If you're interested in learning more, PM me. Wearing heels with nylon legwear is much more hygenic than going barefoot, except perhaps for open toe sandals. Your feet and shoes won't smell bad because the nylon permits your skin to breathe and lets moisture escape so your feet stay dry and comfortable. You'll decrease your chances of blisters, too, which means avoiding pain and worse, avoiding the inevitable limp that accompanies blisters. You can't look confident when you hurt! And best of all, if you wear support hosiery (with some compression) your legs will thank you if you stand or sit or walk for long periods of time. Compression enhances blood flow to your leg muscles and increases stamina and endurance. Do your legs a favor and wrap them in nylon-spandex fabric, especially if you're getting over 40 and can see some leg problems (vericose or spider veins) starting to occur. And getting back to the subject of this thread, you usually are expected to wear the disposable nylon footies that shoe stores provide when you are trying on their shoes. Why not just get some good-fitting and comfortable sheer hose and wear them to the store (preferably with your high heels, so that the store salespeople know you're a serious shopper). You'll be more welcomed that way. Take care of your feet and legs and they'll take good care of you! Steve

Think most things have been said already, but I will add that ...yes...heels feel sooooo much better with hosiery. For me I wear a 42 to 43 in mens shoes but I discovered many size 41 heels fit great when I'm wearing nylons. Since size 41 is often the largest size available in regular shoe shops, wearing nylons was the key for me to be able to enjoy the fun of trying on and buying heels in public. Another issue is of course leg shaving. Hairy legs look pretty bad under nylons unless they are opaque. I don't shave my legs and consequently have only heeled in public with trousers, sometimes with my boots worn on the outside of the trousers.

Ok. Here's the pic, because I forgot it is on my Facebook. I wore dress socks to give it a little more "OOPMH!" or however you say it. Bad look or acceptable?

post-5877-13352295014_thumb.jpg

post-5877-133522950154_thumb.jpg

Formally "HHDude"

HHDude, I'll add my support (hose) hahaha to this thread. I wear knee-high hose 6 days of every seven and love the feel and look. It allows your regular shoes to glide on and off and also puts you into "ready to shop for shoes" mode. Whether you heel or not while shopping wearing hose allows you to try on more shoes in a shorter period of time and in more comfortably as the hose wick moisture away from your feet. I'll wear thigh highs if I'm thinking of showing more legs! HappyinHeels:wavey:

When wearing heels, the fit is just so much better with nylons/stockings, so definitely yes to your question. I usually get large size, and Leggs brand is my favorite (pretty cheap and one of the most durable in my opinion).

Ok. Here's the pic, because I forgot it is on my Facebook. I wore dress socks to give it a little more "OOPMH!" or however you say it. Bad look or acceptable?

Oh and to your last question, I think those shoes look just fine with the dress socks.

I would definitely recommend wearing stockings for shopping for heels. I usually wearing pantyhoses anyways so they take care of the issue for me.

Dress socks look very acceptable with that and the shade of blue matches your shirt well. If you haven't mentioned it I would have assumed opaque tights.