Bringing Back-Up Flats, Tacky or Smart?

TaraSterling

Like many of you all I love wearing my very high stillettos out at night to shows, parties, dancing, etc... However when I am in a city where I need to walk a lot from place to place, especially where the streets are somewhat unpredictable (like Berlin, where I am now!) I like to bring back up flats in my purse and then change before or after the event. I'm not planning on changing my ways based on anything said here- it works well for me to do this, however I do know that some people find it to be tacky and not "true" high heel lover behavior. (I'll never forget the sh*t talking that ensued when one woman took off her heels at a cocktail party recently) So I thought it might make for an interesting discussion. As I said I personally think whatever feels good to you, do it! Opinions?

If you're wearing heels which you are - then that is superb in my mind! Those who are the most judgemental are probably the ones who don't wear really high heels and take pleasure in believing someone has opted back to their flats because they can't cope with their choice of footwear. Fueled by jealousy most likely. The hardest thing is not discomfort, it is more inconvenience with - as you say unpredictable conditions such as grates, cobbles slippery marble floors, shingle, sideways sloping pavements (my pet hate) etc...etc... Only those who wear the very high heels will know of that extra toll they can take on you when you walk longer distances. You don't need to justify yourself to those who are ignorant! Anyway - go for it as you are! The most important thing is to enjoy wearing heels - and don't loose the enjoyment! Heel-Lover

Treat your feet to what ever is best at the time. There are several flats that are very nice sexy shoes and would look good on the wearer. It sounds like you have a fun life style whether its work or play. Maybe they are the one and same?

t-straps are my favorite style.

If I am wearing 5" or higher heels I do the same thing. I can walk in 5"or 6" heels but not for long any distances. In addition grates, broken sidewalks and other things can be dangerous. I like to wear heels and look sexy, but I don't need a broken ankle.

This is practicality we are talking about. It makes no sense to wear yourself out walking across town to a party wearing heels when you can do it in comfort, then enjoy your heels at the event. What drives me nuts are the women at the office that wear flats (usually tennis shoes) on the way to and from the office. They get to their desks and change into heels, then change back before leaving. Since they seldom move from their desks, when we see them they are always in the flats. If I could wear heels at work and felt the need to travel in flats, I would swap at the car so I could show off my heels on the way in and out of the office. They sit all day, and often sit barefoot, so they shouldn't have any problem with a 30 second walk to and from the car.

Smart. It's happening more and more as well, probably due to the current fashion for killer heels in the UK. I play for a fair number of weddings each year, and it's amazing how quickly the heels are traded for flats at the end of the night. Frequently women will swap into flats for dancing as well (we're a ceilidh / folk dance / barn dance band, so this may not apply to other dances!) Oh - and surprisingly often, the flats *also* match the outfit.

I've now left HHPlace. Feel free to use the means listed in my profile if you wish to contact me.

I know my wife has to be happy when she wears heels. In part, she does it for me. So, if we go for a longer walk, we always carry replacement shoes with us. But it never happened so far that she switched to flats during a party.

It depends on your personality. If you're able to get to places without too much pain, and enjoy the outside walk aspect of the heels, then keep them on. If not, switch for yourself, regardless of other's opinions of what you should wear (even if guys like me love seeing ladies in heels all the time..LOL)..

Walking in ultra-highs because it's exciting...and it is!!

I usually have a pair of flats (sandals or loafers) because yo never know where you might wind up. For example, I would hate to change a tire in my bare feet or need to go into a "rough" situation in heels.

Style is built from the ground up!

On a night out I tend to avoid walking anywhere let alone a dark street after a few drinks. I find Taxis to be the best way to get around in the city at night. Both pairs of flats are kept in my the car just for driving. I suppose driving is my back up.

• 3 weeks later...

It has been said already, but there is nothing less flattering than to see a woman who has taken some trouble to dress for an occasion remove her shoes (of whatever kind) and then stay in bare feet or stockings for the rest of the time. Yes, I can understand that sore feet might require shoes to be removed after a hard night's dancing but a woman looks incomplete and untidy (in mind as well as body) if she has to take her shoes off indoors at an early stage, usually with a grimace and a 'my feet are killing me' comment. If they were that uncomfortable (often just for standing or sitting, with minimal movement), why on earth did she wear them in the first place? At a party recently, my wife's female friend turned up in trousers and ankle boots with a squarish toe and a blocky heel of no more than 3". She is personable and quite attractive and showed off her figure with a nice top, but the overall look was rather plain and ordinary. After only half an hour chatting to various people, she made the usual excuse and took off her boots. She spent the rest of the night ruining new nylons and looking silly in comparison with her companions, several of whom were in stylish stilettos. Perhaps she should have worn Birkenstocks or Uggs!

Nothing wrong with flats, especially if they are cute ones. Practical for wearing to and from parties, work etc.

I couldn't agree more! Make sure your flats are cute and stylish and you're bound to feel good about bringing them along for the ride!

I don't want to LOOK like a woman, I just want to DRESS like a woman!