What is considered as high heels

HHfanatic

Found this on Wikipedia. High-heeled footwear (often abbreviated as high heels) is footwear which raise the heel of the wearer's foot significantly higher than the toes. When both the heel and the toes are raised equal amounts, as in a platform shoe, it is not considered to be a "high-heel". High heels tend to give the illusion of longer and more slender legs. High-heels come in a wide variety of styles, and the heels are found in many different shapes, including stiletto, pump, block, tapered, blade, and wedge. According to high fashion shoe websites like Jimmy Choo and Gucci, a "low heel" is considered less than 6 centimeters (2.5 inches), while 6 centimeters to 8.5 centimeters (3.5 inches) heels are considered "mid heels," and anything over 8.5 centimeters is considered a "high heel"[citation needed]. So anything above 8,5 cm will do...:-)

I have been posting shoes on eBay over the past several days (see the link in the Heels For Sale section) and have noticed that eBay defines heel heghts this way: Flat: 0" to 1/2" Low: 3/4" to 1 1/2" Medium: 1 3/4" to 2 3/4" High: 3" and up I don't know how the cam up with this, but it suprises me to a degree. Though I wold agree that over 3 inches might be conidered high, it is difficult to find shoes with a much smaller heel. Some loafers )either for men o women) come with a 1 3/4" heel for example, which would make them "Medium" by eBay standards.

Style is built from the ground up!

Personally I dont think so much about the heel hight, I more think about the foot angle. So in a size us5, I think 3" is consider as high heel but not in size us10. 5" is extreme high in size us5, but only high in size us10.

I have been posting shoes on eBay over the past several days (see the link in the Heels For Sale section) and have noticed that eBay defines heel heghts this way:

Flat: 0" to 1/2"

Low: 3/4" to 1 1/2"

Medium: 1 3/4" to 2 3/4"

High: 3" and up

I don't know how the cam up with this, but it suprises me to a degree. Though I wold agree that over 3 inches might be conidered high, it is difficult to find shoes with a much smaller heel. Some loafers )either for men o women) come with a 1 3/4" heel for example, which would make them "Medium" by eBay standards.

I'd be willing to bet that's because it's the number one reason why women get rid of shoes they bought- the heel is too high for them to wear comfortably. They fall in love with a style and convince themselves that they'll be able to wear a shoe. One wearing takes care of that, and it ends up on Ebay for our benefit!!!

I believe, and Dr Shoe will correct me if I am wrong, that the nominal heel height for a given model will be taken from the average size EU39, so the height reduces if the shoe is smaller and increases if the shoe is larger, but the angle is the same. Simon.

Are you confusing me with someone who gives a damn?

I would generally agree with the statement that 3+ inches are considered "high". I personally don't feel a difference in walking with mens' shoes vs. 2" heels. However, what about some platform wedges that have a 2" platform and a 4" heel? With those, it feels like walking in mens' shoes ... until a crack in the pavement reminds you of them, while you struggle not to fall :o

It might be an idèa for the shoe manufactures to give the foot angle instead of the heel hight...

Well, not in the US. Many citizens have problems with basic math, much less geometry.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Quite a few sites do arbitrarily use the 3" mark as their guage for what is a high heel. That is generally what the average woman would probably agree with and anything much beyond 4" would be most people's upper limit. We are of course pretty unique here such that 3" is not a high heel for a good number of people here. :smile:

Looking at websites such as Bakers Shoes, or Victoria Secrets, they have so many shoes with 4" or higher heels, that I think they could afford to have a separate category for them. I'm not sure anyone (woman or man) that would associate a 4 1/2" heel shoe to be similar to a 3" heel shoe. I guess web sites don't want to have a lot of different search criteria.

Though I have already posted and still stand by my original post, recently I have noticed that anything under four inches I consider moderate, low or even under the radar. A 3 inch heel just isn't that high to me at the moment...

Style is built from the ground up!