can heels (all style) be masculine??

aussieheels1

ok.... let me explain before you all slam me..... was thinking about this and the thought was that what determine what's masculine and feminine is dictated by fashion and then the adoption and acceptance of the fashion..... not so long ago you can't wear the following items and be treated as masculine: - ear rings - pink t shirt - tight jeans - painted nails - high heels (i'm dreaming here) apart from the high heels, the items listed have all grown acceptance via fashion trends (some have been around longer then others and thus more accepted as norm then others)... so until there is general acceptance of men and heels can heels and masculine be termed together..... sure some heels are less feminine than others but i think the heel in general is what people class as feminine (the higher the more feminine).... just thinking out loud.....

oh bla bla.... its all what the fashion police dictate... and fashion is down to the individual. if you read the girly mags, as i do when soulmates done with them, then skinny jeans are the latest thing for summer / totally dead, ripped jeans are out / still in... who pays, or the whim of the writer, gets in print... clonesville.... style is individual, fashion is a trap.... the reason that any style setter gets looked at is that it doesnt conform with the normal boring tick the boxes stuff.... ask vivienne westwood..... keep em higher....!

OK, here's some more blah blah. When I here the term "high heels," the picture that pops in my mind is a pair of black opera pumps with pointed toes and a 3 or 4 inch spike heel. Yet if I were to hear someone say, "look at that guy wearing high heels," the picture in my mind might be of a man wearing a pair of ankle boots with a 2 1/2 or 3 inch block heel. And if that man is the size of Dolf Lungren, I don't think anyone is going to call him feminine. Weren't John Wayne and Clint Eastwood masculine will wearing cowboy boot with 2 to 3 inch heels? I guess it just depends on the perspective.;)

sorry more blah blah from me then.... i think fashion plays a big part..... i for one is not wearing high heels because i want to be an individual and stands out from the crowd.... i just like the look and the feel of wearing them...... those who seek the individuality and/or the fashion setters (well known designers etc) can do the leg work of getting heels for men into acceptable territory and i for one would be a happy man to be able to wear heels without being viewed as the odd one out..... which kinda point back to the original statement that at this point in time, heels are generally view as women attire and thus are feminine if you wear it in this era.... those looking at photos of people in the 70s with the platform heeled boots would probably not view them as feminine but just think that it was the fashion at that time....

It's what we're used to. Back in the 70s and early 80s, men were wearing heels up to 3.5". In fact I had a pair of men's cowboy boots with 4" heels which I wore until they literally fell off my feet in about 1984. No one thought they were particularly weird then but now they'd be classed as women's boots. I saw a pair of men's heels today, just like Sarkozi's heels and apparently they're flying off the shelves. It won't be long before they're available from "mainstream" shops such as Faith and Barretts. then we'll see designers vying with each other to make them higher and then (hopefully) thinner. Within 6 years we'll have heels that are very close to stilettos if the current trends continue.

Graduate footwear designer able to advise and assist on modification and shoe making projects.

With the current flow of fashion, where heels are being made in sizes 13-17, I think the manufacturing community is slowly catching on to the idea that "hey, there's money to be made here!!!". As long as the interest is there, it'll continue to progress in that direction. In my opinion, it's pretty much inevitable. Heck...makes my shopping just that much easier!

SQ.....still busting societal molds with a smile...and a 50-ton sledge!

Indeed SQ. However these do tend to be fetish styles but I think that we will see a trend towards heels that many men will want to wear in the street.

Graduate footwear designer able to advise and assist on modification and shoe making projects.

It's what we're used to.

Back in the 70s and early 80s, men were wearing heels up to 3.5". No one thought they were particularly weird then but now they'd be classed as women's boots.

Excellent point, Dr.S. Back in the late 70's/ early 80's, I had several pairs of men's knee-high boots, one was over the knee (for pants tucked in), in what women would define as low and mid-heel height. They wouldn't be considered "women's shoes", even by today's trends, however, they were clearly what people of an earlier generation would call "high tops".

Dan

the answer is depending on who you are asking. there is no clear consensus,never was one or ever will be one. just remember that once upon a time long hair on males was extremely frowned upon. and a lot of intrepid souls decided to wear it anyway,out of moral conviction,protest,or whatever. after enough of them did it for a long enough time,it became more acceptable. there are still enclaves and individuals that dont like it,but screw them and the horse they rode in on. so the moral of the story is clear...numbers and time. wear the bastards out until they quit and go home.

A good question and as crotchboots says, there is no clear consensus. But my opinion is that the answer to the original question is NO. Certain styles of heels are, to my eyes, quite acceptable for both men and women. Heeled footwear that women will wear on a daily basis that is functional is the area men could so easily invade. Another thread with a poll some time ago now sought to find out how we men wanted to wear heels and the overwhelming response was as a guy in regular guy clothes. As we are quite happy with leaving all the other female paraphinalia to the ladies, this means that the choice of footwear should be complimentary to both dress style and time of day. It is often quoted how society's attitude to female things being adopted by guys finally changes, this is true. However, look at the choice in that particular style and you will see it is very limited. We see many men these days with pierced ears sporting small plain gold rings or gold studs occasionally with a small diamond. However, you NEVER see a man wearing big hoop earrings, dangly earrings, or anything that would be seen as female jewelry. Same is true for handbags. Mens handbags are practical, easily organised, styled like a mini briefcase or satchel. If you think about the things that both men and women use, the womens version will always be more highly decorated, be it tassles, shiny or glittery bits. The mens versions are plainer and more functional. So it appears to me that there will always be a distinction between male and female dress. Men's attire will always tend toward the functional whilst ladies attire seems to tend toward the impractical. There is a lot of common ground and rather more that we would probably think, if only we were a little more brave to dip into the slightly less pratical side of clothing. A big help to achieving this is to get used to the idea of carrying a bag of some sort. Last year my wife gave me a "messenger bag" its small, but holds the contents of what I used to stick in my trousers. Two benefits. First, my trousers are now lighter and more comfortable to wear, and second, I wear womens trousers that if they do have pockets are next to useless. Actually it is surprise just how much weight I used to have in my pockets. As others have said here before, they are much more comfortable to wear. Its that old practicality thing again. Womens cut trousers also have a wide variety of leg cuff sizes that are much better to wear with heels - funny that. So to wear my pratical womens footwear I combine with pratical womens trousers and a practical "man-bag". Mens clothes on top, shirt, tie etc. womens clothes waist down. Great. Win-Win for me. I get to enjoy the feel of a high heel every day coupled with lightweight and comfortable trousers, yet don't have the sound of peoples jaws hitting the ground wherever I go. I would love to see a male version of the skirt suit so we could do hose and court shoes, but now we are not in the realms of practical clothing, and anyway, seeing a women dressed in a nice smart skirt suit, with black hosiery and a nice plain pair of plain black leather 4" court shoes is damn sexy to most red blooded men, so I really don't think we will get there precisely for the reasons stated above. Simon.

Are you confusing me with someone who gives a damn?

But why not? I would love to wear my avatar or something like it on a daily basis; but the wife will NEVER approve of that one. If I travel alone, out of town, then maybe.....

It's all about the heel!

Simon I agree with what you say in that I love wearing heels but as a guy. As far as skirts go if a compnay such as Dockers or Haggar introduced a skirt designed for a man I believe it would sell as you point out most mens attire is practical and a properly designed skirt for men would be far more practical than a lot of pants we currently wear. I have to admit even though I have no desire to cross dress if they came out with skirts for men I would try it.

I have to admit even though I have no desire to cross dress if they came out with skirts for men I would try it.

interesting you say that... it comes back to the point of the thread that fashion and social acceptance dictates what most of us considered what is masculine and feminine......

you say you have no interested in cross-dressing, however if someone (major clothing line) rebadged a skirt and called it a men skirt (a smirk :roll: ?? ) then you would try it......

i think the discussion of whether men clothes in general are more practical or not have some validity, but i also think that this doesn't have as much to do with whether men will wear a skirt as compare to fashion drivers and acceptance

aussieheels1 my point is that I have no desire to dress as a women or wear other clothing or items that are designed for women, ie: nail polish make up etc. Not that I have anything aginst others that do it's just not me, but I would consider wearing a skirt that went along with my choice to dress as a male, most skirts currently marketed to women I would not wear but look great on women thus the delima. I know there men who wear kilts and I have thought about buying one just to try it. To Thighboots2 point "I would love to see a male version of the skirt suit so we could do hose and court shoes" I think would be cool but also to his point I don't think we will ever get there.

• 2 weeks later...

As I have said many times in many posts, I wore men's high heels on a regular basis everywhere back in the 70s when they were in style. Those type of shoes are associated with the 70s. I'm wondering if a more "feminine" type of high heel will reappear for men now to keep them segregated from the block platform high heels of the 70s?:roll:

I think I have shown that a man can be masculine in heels. I also believe that there are a lot of heels out there that look very masculine on men with the right combination of attire.

real men wear heels

This whole tread discussion has to do with what everyone has become accustommed to by their social up-bringing. All the speculation as to what is what by the gender label is a bogus identity based on superficial claims there are no such beings as femininity in men and masculinity in women. Well, I ask you, have you ever known any one with these dominant traits in these two gender identities, as described? In the English language there are reference to these types of individuals when the words like sissy (males) or tom-boy (females) are used. Therefore, the concept of gender has no real merit except for the mind-set we have been brainwashed with. Men and women have differences by nature and I applaud that, but they also have similarities that make them individual human personalities of equal importance. Heels are another type of footwear to be chosen by those who prefer that styling of foot adornment. They have to be constructed or made. Of its-self there is no preference as to who will have their use. The perceptional use is socially determined, but can be swayed by revamping social acceptance or tolerance.

This whole tread discussion has to do with what everyone has become accustommed to by their social up-bringing. All the speculation as to what is what by the gender label is a bogus identity based on superficial claims there are no such beings as femininity in men and masculinity in women. Well, I ask you, have you ever known any one with these dominant traits in these two gender identities, as described? In the English language there are reference to these types of individuals when the words like sissy (males) or tom-boy (females) are used. Therefore, the concept of gender has no real merit except for the mind-set we have been brainwashed with.

Men and women have differences by nature and I applaud that, but they also have similarities that make them individual human personalities of equal importance. Heels are another type of footwear to be chosen by those who prefer that styling of foot adornment. They have to be constructed or made. Of its-self there is no preference as to who will have their use. The perceptional use is socially determined, but can be swayed by revamping social acceptance or tolerance.

In other words,wear what the heck you want on your feet and the heck with who don't like it. Shoes were made to sale for profit in currency from man or woman no matter if they have a heel or not.

Am I getting it? lol

real men wear heels

That is the only way to live! Why the hell do you care if something is feminine or masculine? If you like it then wear it! I am married however since I have been wearing women's sandals and red or pink toenails I have had more women interested in me! Many women are intrigued by men that just do their own thing regardless of what other folks think!! Guys that first wore two earrings had the balls to do this. Do you? There is no such thing as masculine earrings. Earrings (especially diamond earrings) are feminine and anyone that believes that they are masculine is telling themselves a lie! Admit that you like some feminine things and get on with life and too hell with everyone else. Don't let other people dictate what you can and cannot wear. Have you ever noticed that women don't ask for permission to wear masculine items, they just do it and they don't worry if you like it or not. I am sure you have seen women wearing masculine shoes, ties, and every other form of masculine attire. Think about it. There is no need in this society for masculine and feminine concepts. We need to move past this crap. In the days of our forefathers men wore heels. Heels were created for men by men before women made them their own!

In other words,wear what the heck you want on your feet and the heck with who don't like it. Shoes were made to sale for profit in currency from man or woman no matter if they have a heel or not.

Am I getting it? lol

Jamie :)

Fashion Freedom for Men!!

It's what we're used to.

Back in the 70s and early 80s, men were wearing heels up to 3.5". In fact I had a pair of men's cowboy boots with 4" heels which I wore until they literally fell off my feet in about 1984. No one thought they were particularly weird then but now they'd be classed as women's boots.

Dr. Shoe: I, too, had a similar pair of cowboy boots back then: bergundy, pointed toe, 4" sloped heel, classified as "men's" boots. Lots of guys wore red boots, yellow (tan) boots, etc. I wore mine with tight blue jeans and a burgundy shirt.

I still believe, you make your own choices - either follow the pack, or blaze a trail. It's always easier (safer) to follow the pack and poke fun at the "trailblazers".

Dan

• 8 months later...

I think that acceptance for men wearing high heeled shoes (freedom to wear what everyone wants) is different from a masculine high heel style (fashion which is attractive to women). Women wear a lot of of accessories and different styles to be attractive and seductive, and it work very well because men are attracted by this fashion (sometimes at least for curiosity, or also because they are impractical). Masculine or not is a gender attribute which involves biology mechanism at attraction. It will be very interesting to know which high heel style for men are considered masculine and attractive by women looking those men. Although I like to wear stiletto high heel (it is funny), I don't expect that women will found them masculine and attractive. Girl comments are really welcome :thumbsup:

Let me get this straight. Women can't find men's wear attractive, if it isn't made for men. **** Don't women have men's wear in their choices for attiring? Also, will the same style of stiletto heels worn by women loose their attractiveness from women, if they become masculine choices and are worn by men? **** Sounds like a social indoctrination inquiry, because right now we generally haven't been around male heeling as regularly accepted attire.

I think it's funny that if you compare some of the better cowboy boots, amongst the most manly of footwear, with some women's boots or even block heel pumps, you find they both have pointed toes and 2.5" heels. For most of us, stiletto heels in public would be seriously breaking social custom. I wish it was otherwise, that last pair of Nine Wests I just got are very comfortable, I could walk in them all day.

AS I said in my welcome message thread. I used to wear relatively high heels on men's hoes back in the 70s, I think they were 2-3 inches, the style of shoe/boot was ankle, with a thin leatherette style, and they were lined and comfortable. Unfortunately those kind of shoes are unavailable for men anymore, as they were more fashionable in the 70s. And most boots for men (in my male shoe size of 12 or 13) have relatively low heels and high prices, therefore, I tried some high heel "made for women" sandal like shoes, and they are great, feel good and look good on my feet. But, I find 5+ inch heels on anyone (let alone men) to be rather ostentatious and more designed to shock, or annoy others because they would look too weird to the common folk. Subtlety is much better. Frodo

I agree wth Elegant. I have Steve Madden boots, but I go for the ones with a zipper as they are much easier for me to get them on and off. You can't bend as good when you get older.

Cheers---

Dawn HH

Actually they go on and off quite easy. They come up just over the knee cap. Feel great. Warm too.

real men wear heels