Mens Heels

Thighboots2

Guys,

For some time now YSL and Dior have been offering (IMO) medium height heeled boots for men.

I had a rush of blood to the head the other week and whilst I was in Knightsbridge. I went into the YSL shop as I wanted to see their mens heeled boot (Johnny Boot) for myself. There in the basement (aka mens department) were lots of their Johnny boots displayed in all sorts of finishes (and prices). There happened to be a pair of brown brogue style in my size, so I popped them on. Well this is the first time I have ever tried a hand made shoe on. Talk about fit like a glove and comfortable. So I took out a 2nd mortgage and bought them. Measuring the heel back home, they come in a 7cm or 2.75". Everything about them is so balanced and of course not a hint of man made materials anywhere (except the zipper!). I certainly supports the old saying, you get what you pay for.

OK, So perhaps I am off my rocker in paying £400 ($795 in the US) for a pair of boots, but consider this.

My wife knows I wear heels almost every day (between 8cm & 9cm) but has asks me to change out of them and put them away when I get home as she says she doesn't like the way I walk in heels, but is quite happy if I am wearing the 7cm heels. She is a regular woman, regular upbringing and so on, prefers to wear skirts and dresses with all the trimmings we men love to play with. She looks so sexy when dressed in a business suit with a knee length skirt, hose and heels. So why is it that I can wear 7cm heels without a blink of an eye, but put on my 8cm and she doesn't like it. It can only be that they were not from the mens department. You see, when I got home I showed my new boots to my wife. Beautiful was here response, then she looked at me in that funny way and asked if they were from the mens or womens section. It was so nice to say they were from the mens section as here attitude changed from being wary to complete acceptance.

Where I am going with this. Well it appears to me that if something is in the mens department, then my wife accepts it. She may say it doesn't suit me, but would not question it being something that is meant for me to wear wear. EG, if I wanted to wear a kilt, then no problem. I have two Kikoys, http://www.kikoy.com , they are a most beautiful piece of woven cotton, rectangular in shape, traditionally a garment for men, originally from Kenya. You wrap it round your waste and hey presto, a light comfortable skirt for hot climate use by men (originally) and now women - of course! I wore only my Kikoy's when on holiday in the Maldives even though I had shorts etc with me. Indeed, my wife bought them for me for the holiday (as well as two for herself), and yes, I was the only male hotel guest in a skirt, not that anyone paid the slightest bit of notice. When it gets hot here in the UK, sadly not this year, then I wear them as well. However, I digress, so back to the topic.

Its is a matter of fact that YSL and DIOR sell heeled shoes for men, so my question is how do we persuade other shoe manufacturers to take note of the style lead by YSL and DIOR and bring them to the masses. Normally the volume manufacturers can wait to rip off ideas from the fashion houses, but for some reason they are not doing it with this style, and that must be because YSL/DIOR are not selling enough.

So am I really "off my rocker" for paying £400 for a pair of boots? I believe not. Now we all want to wear heels openly, out in public etc. etc. It has been said so many time before. We are fortunate that YSL and DIOR have a product that, although expensive, is on the road to what we are trying to achieve. Now should sales of this product line go up because the demand is there, then the general shops will want to get in on the action, and will introduce their own ranges. Its pure economics and no amount of letter writing, lobbying and so on will change this as it has to be demonstrated there is a demand.

Guys, lets be honest with ourselves here, and take a cue from our logo, the silhouette depicts a man and a woman back to back, she in a mini with stiletto heels and he in pants with Cuban heels. This is a great logo and looks right. I know it is our desire to be able to wear stiletto heels, mine too, whenever we want, but it just plain looks wrong on most guys. Most of us are just a bit too well built for them. We should be striding to achieve the silhouette in our logo as aesthetically and proportionally it looks right.

Of course, the ultimate achievement would be for men to be as free as women to present themselves to the world in the way they choose.

In the mean time, I would suggest saving the pennies for the YSL/DIOR offerings. The more of us that wear then out and about, the more chance of heels in general becoming mainstream. Once that has been achieved, THEN you can push the envelope further.

Just think how much money you have already spent on your hobby that you have thrown away into the bin when you go round the cycle. I know I have and could have funded another pair of these boots easily.

This may have been an expensive experiment, but it proved a point to me. Would I save up and buy another pair? - you bet I will. I want them in black next.

TB2

post-1002-133522848908_thumb.jpg

post-1002-13352284891_thumb.jpg

Are you confusing me with someone who gives a damn?

I would say that price isnt too bad when you consider quality construction with a design you can actually wear somewhere. I've spent $500 on a pair of thigh high ballet boots. I really like them, but they really only have one purpose. I have tried on heels from other high end mfg's and can definatly say you pay for quality and comfort. I think other mfg's will follow if they see YSL and Dior selling pairs, so we just need to put our money where our mouths are and show that we'd be willing to buy 'mens heels' even if they are above the price we'd normally pay for heeled shoes/boots.

(formerly known as "JimC")

These boots look great!! Can I purchase a pair at Nordstroms? What department stores are selling them? Guys, we should all go out and buy a pair of these boots to support the cause and show the manufacturer that there is a market for high-heels for men. This is how we can make a statement. Also, for those with unsupportive wives, these are men's shoes and should eliminate that problem. Let's vote with our wallets and do it now! If you can afford these boots, then use a credit card to borrow the money. This is a chance to make a statement. If you are afraid of wearing high heels in public, you can wear these boots with confidence because they are men's boots that are made for men!! Let's find out where to purchase them and get a pair or two and then write a letter to the manufacture. -jamie Fashion Freedom for Men!!

Jamie :)

Fashion Freedom for Men!!

Guys, we should all go out and buy a pair of these boots to support the cause and show the manufacturer that there is a market for high-heels for men

They probably should be told that's why you're buying them, otherwise...

"Hey Yves, those men's ankle boots are selling like hotcakes. Maybe you should design some more, but don't do high heels anymore, men don't like them."

I've never seen the YSL boots in any of the larger department stores in the US, and I've looked, believe me, but Barneys has had them or very similar styles. When I went back a week after seeing them in the Dallas store, they were all gone! I've bought Armani and Gucci boots that cost that much, and certainly all my custom boots run that high. I'm a firm believer in quality and design being worth the cost. Congratulations on a great pair of boots!

Patrick Cox did some heels for men a few years back and they sold their entire year's stock in a week... some guys were buying three or four pairs! Manufacturers take note!

Graduate footwear designer able to advise and assist on modification and shoe making projects.

Dr Shoe,

I Agree with the "Manufacturers Take Note!" sentiment, but do they read this board, or do they see this as a fetish site?

TB2

TB2

You have an excellent point in that, and if I may offer an opinion here (as I rarely ever do) I'd say that on first appearances 18 months ago this would have been seen as nothing more than a fetish website, toaday however, i would say the lines are now just very blurry.

I personally think that many members own choice of avatar or the mens leg contest where every guy suddenly appears in skirts for example, may give off the wrong vibes to those looking in from the outside, who dont know each of us and our reasons for such things.

Just as the fashion world itself, perception is very important is it not?

Similar in every way to how people cast judgement based on appearances...

I find it kind of interesting how many many of us here would gladly seek approval or acceptance for wearing something "different" yet many pay none or little regard to how they may be perceived when doing so themselves, yet scorn those who dont accept it or "tolerate it"

erm... blimey, was I ranting and blabbering again... Sorry.

I'll shut up now for another 6 months *Goes back to broom cupboard for more admin work* :smile:

Heels for Men // Legwear Fashion // HHPlace Guidelines

If something doesn't look right, please report the content ASAP!

I think that times are changing... You see a lot more men in heels in the clubs... even the non fetish but avant garde clubs like BoomBox.. It won't be long now! :smile:

Graduate footwear designer able to advise and assist on modification and shoe making projects.

Richie,

I agree, and so a quick change of avatar is called for.

TB2

Hey TB2

I'd like to add too that what I said wasnt meant as any form of offence at anybody for their choice's, but was simply an observation from an impartial point of view on how I see things from reading every single daily post on this website, and how interesting it is to see people striving for acceptance, yet simultaneously un-aware of how they may be "perceived" by others.

Look @ how "kneehighs" does things....

I'd say he has a pretty good "reality check" on his own projected perceptions which gains him global "Normality" for simply being himself while doing something very different :smile:

While many may all be cool with wearing skirts, discussing permanently high heeled feet, pedal pumping and other such variety, the perception of this "bigger picture" when its all put together is very different... Or is it just me?

• Like 1

Heels for Men // Legwear Fashion // HHPlace Guidelines

If something doesn't look right, please report the content ASAP!

Richie, I certainly don't take offence at what you posted. As I wish to project and be simply a "Man in Heels" and especially as I said before how my wife accepts the Johnny boot easily just because it came from the mens section, I felt I ought to have an Avatar that in a picture projected my wishes (at present of course). I have said before that this style is the first step along the road. Its an important step because it does look properly masculine to women, yet very stylish as well. I have had nothing but compliments on the boots. Sure I know Kneehighs carries it off stiletto heels so well, he has and continues to astound us with his wonderful stories and great pictures. That is because they look right and in proportion to him and the clothes he selects to wear (plus he smiles in his pictures). After all it is not just about wearing heels, or it shouldn't be. But it is a quantum leap to go from a mans oxford brogue to the current womans oxford brogue, regardless of the heel. Manufacturers are stuck with the idea that mens clobber should be heavy duty and last years, whereas womens clobber should be light and last only months. This applies in everything, not just footwear. Taking the brogue, yes there are womens versions of the mens brogue. They look identical, however when you pick them up, the difference is very noticable in the weight and suppleness of the shoe. Men can only get suple leathers that are butter soft only in ballroom/latin dancing shoes. WHY? Even my Johnny boot which for a mans shoe is supple, is stiff in the ankle. No womens boot is so heavily constructed in the area where great flexibility is required. Kneehighs is a leading light and is showing the way it could go, but what I am trying to say is that this IS the way to go for all of us if you want to wear heels and step out without fighting with your inner self, your wife/GF, or whatever, and don't we all go through that! Hey, its time I got off my soapbox once more. Happy heeling one and all. TB2

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Hi all,

I mainly visit here as an admirer of women in heels. I've don't wear heels myself, but have said in the past that if heels were fashionable for men, in styles I like (ie not feminine) I would probably wear them. I'm certainly open minded.

My lady knows I have a thing for heels, and I have tried some in the bedroom with her and found it to be fun. :santa_hat: But I've never felt any need to wear heels myself.

Under the new posts function I occasionally read some of the threads here in the guys section, which brought me to this thread. At the time I saw Thighboots2's avatar and thought "they don't look bad" then moved on and never thought any more of it.

On Saturday I took my lady, who has wanted a pair of YSL Tribute Sandals for a couple of weeks now, to the YSL store in Old Bond Street, London.

After we finished on the ladies floor we still had an half an hour on the parking (don't get me started on text to park) so she said let's look in the men’s department. It's not normally where I would spend my money, but I'm happy to look.

As we came out the lift the shoes were opposite, and I spotted the Johnny Boot's on the top shelf and remembered this thread. So I walked over to them and (wanting to show off my fashion knowledge) said to her that these are The Johnny Boot.

She immediately liked them and said I should try them on. I wasn't sure, as I had no intention of spending that much on shoes for myself - even though I will spend that much on heels for her, if I like them enough.

But I tried them on. I actually thought they looked great and so did she. But I wasn't sure about spending that much on a shoe - about 2-3 times what I normally spend on my best shoes. She made the point that it was a shoe that would get better with age, and was made to last.

As I was coming around to the idea, I tried on some different types. - I wasn't so keen on the brogue. I also tried the similar but lower boot, but it didn't look as good (even not considering the heel).

So I brought a pair in plain brown. - They only type they didn't have in my size was plain black.

Obviously I was going to wear them out on Saturday night, but my intention was to keep them for best. But my lady also wanted me to wear them on Sunday around to a friends house warming party. - After discussion there about her shoes, how nice they are, how high they are, etc (which happens whenever we see friends) my shoes got lots of attention and complements - something that I've never had before, and something I felt a bit embarrassed about. The women in particular loved them, but I also got compliments from guys, and questions of were I brought them!

Yesterday she said I should order some in black for work! I'm not sure that I would waste a shoe that good on work - I'm already the best dressed guy there (due to the business casual policy most guys don't seem to make any effort to look smart) - but I might get another pair in black later in the year.

• Like 1

Rob, Excellent choice and are they not just great to wear? Yes I know that £400 is an aweful lot to spend on just one pair of shoes, but when they are:- 1. 7cm Heels 2. Made for Men 3. People do notice and compliment you Don't you just feel on top of the world. I like you style in getting a second pair. I'm saving hard for another pair myself. I will have black next, but didn't you notice just how many different finishes they came in? Even a leopard print to match with the ladies shoes. Npow you WOULD have to be brave to wear those, unless your Mr T. Thank goodness your wife insisted. Cudos to her (and I like her new purchase you posted in another thread). There is just something about wearing footwear made and marketed to men that has a significantly hight heel than usual. You don't skulk about in the shadows or wear the cuff of your trousers down either. Come on guys, save up and get a pair, you wont regret it, and maybe - just maybe - you'll get our message across. TB2.

Thanks Thighboots2, I don't think I could pull off the Python, let alone the leopard print! They do feel great to wear. They support the arch of the foot more than flat shoes, and the extra height makes you stride with confidence (I'm almost 6ft anyway). Having tried on high heels with my lady and been stand/able to walk in them, I didn't think the heel on these would be anything. But I hadn't counted on the difference between a few mins in the bedroom, compared with wearing all day. After all day in these I was aware of the heel and the increased weight on the balls of my feet, and my feet did ache later - not painfully, just the pleasant ache you get might get after a good work out. Regarding men’s shoes with heels, compared to similar women’s shoes, my lady pointed out an important difference: I'm a size 8 and she's a size 7, but our shoes look VERY different sizes. Unsurprisingly women’s shoes appear to be designed to make feet look smaller, whilst men’s shoes appear to be designed to make feet look larger.

• 1 month later...

I wear men's high heel (3 inch) boots to work and they are comfortable. But women's shoes are narrower, for the most part, and I have a very narrow foot. I think that's one reason I enjoy wearing feminine high heels...comfort.

I wear men's high heel (3 inch) boots to work and they are comfortable. But women's shoes are narrower, for the most part, and I have a very narrow foot. I think that's one reason I enjoy wearing feminine high heels...comfort.

Where do you buy Men's boots with a 3 inch heel? I have not seen them in the shops, the only ones that I know about is the ones in this thread from YSL. £400 is out of my league.

• 1 year later...

Slowly but surely men's heels are becoming available. What with the YSL Jonny Boots and Archie Eyebrows with heels over 2.5 inches as well as (UK) high street stores such as Schuh and Faith having shoes just under 2 inches, Jeffery West also has several styles of traditional men's formal shoes with a 2 inch heel.

Wanting some new smart shoes for work I went to the Jeffery West shop in Piccadilly last weekend. After trying on several pairs, I brought a pair of these in a black/pewter colour (colour not shown on their web site). (By the way, the toes don't appear as turned up as the pictures when you are wearing them.)

They also have some very cool boots. My lady liked these (which had a slightly higher heel) on me, but I was out to buy for work, so I stuck with the shoes.

post-956-133522883732_thumb.jpg

post-956-133522883738_thumb.jpg

post-956-133522883743_thumb.jpg

post-956-133522883747_thumb.jpg

Hi, I do like the Rochester boots (except the little jewel on the side) and the oxfords (especially the "dirty"-colored ones). I also like the YSL boots (especially the beige python leather ones; except the price). But yeah, i strongly agree that they'd look and feel better if they were higher, e.g. 3-3,5''. Happy Heeling k6ps

OK, so they are not "High Heels" as we on here define a high heel (as a woman would do), but in mens terms, these are high heels. Be grateful that it is starting. I have said over and over again, we are not going to go from flat to 4" stiletto in one go. Its got to be a gradual thing. Heels are all over the place in the fashion world now, and as usual in the fashion world, things are usually "Over-The-Top" as far as normal people are concerned. However, the broad thrust and design queues usually filter down to the stuff the general populace buy and wear. More and more runway shows feature male models in heels of some kind so it is simply a matter of time now. It is sad that the only male heels that are nearly, but not quite, 3" are from YSL/Archie Eyebrows and that the prices are £400/£175 respectively, so they are pricely in most people's eyes. But if you don't buy, then they won't be made. The mainstream shoemakers are just waiting to see how well the high end is going before they come out with their own versions. Get down to Tom Baker's in D'Arlby Street, Soho and you can see/buy the Archie boot and shoes. Sure they are still pricey, but they are full leather and hand made. IMHO, they are great value. Simon.