Have you ever gone to work in "girly" shoes ?

Pumps

Hi, Most of the library's public areas are carpeted with carpet tiles, particularly unattractive ones too, and as the building is new they have still provide a cushioning effect. The main staff offices are similarly floored; however entrances and hallways are hard-floored which are indeed producing a satisfying clippity-clop to accompany me everywhere I go! Halfway through the working day now, and no ill-effects at all. Really comfortable and at ease generally. There's no stopping me now. I've just ordered several pairs of shoes and boots online as a treat ('cos I deserve it!), so I'm looking forward to trying those out. Maybe tomorrow it's going to be my 3.5 inch loafers? On the evidence of this building, architects should really not be allowed to design buildings; we should find something else for them to do......? Doing the outside is fine, but leave the inside of the buildings to those who have to work in 'em! (apologies to any architects here) All best wishes, Tosca

Still rainin' still dreamin'

3½" loafer style shoes at work? No problem what so ever. I've been wearing 3" and 4" heeled loafer style shoes every where in public for 10 years or longer and, while there might be an occasional lingering glance, I've never experienced any adverse reactions.

Being mentally comfortable in your own mind is the key to wearing heels in public.

I've worn "girly shoes" to drive to and from work at times when I was travelling greater distances. My job means I hve to wear safety shoes/boots for the actual work though.

He was so narrow minded he could see through a keyhole with both eyes.

Brown's Law: If the shoe fits, it's ugly

I have worn heels to work but nothing that would make people think "girly". In my current job, I currently can't be bothered to wear heels as everyone else generally dresses down but this might change in the next few months or so.

Heel-D - Freestyling since 2005

I wore my girly flats to work today and it was the most nerveracking thing. I probably should be careful with my high blood pressure. I have a bit of a long journey via bus,ferry and train for about 1½ hours, so I was pretty nervous about suddenly doing it in womens shoes. I didn't get much reactions though. I knew that I would be wearing "work"-shoes much of the day, so it was a perfect day to do it. I just walk in as usual but noone made a single remark about it. I know that they noticed. I can really decide if I'm glad about the lack of response. It would probably have been good to have it out. I wore the flats for about 2 hours before changing to work shoes. The good thing is that I "outed" myself instead of potentionally "getting caught" in Copenhagen this weekend. That's much better.

I have been wearing a pair of brown leather knee high boots under my slacks for several months and on Friday (casual day) I have been wearing blue leather knee high boots under my jeans. Both of these pair have a 2” block heel and are obviously not “guys” boots.

The reaction has been a few surprised looks but that’s about it. At lunch on day one of my co-workers asked me “Where did you get those shoes?” (Referring to my blue boots).

I said, “Oh, I’ve had them for a long time.”

Another time recently, a guy asked me if the heel on my cowboy boots bothered me. He was referring to my blue boots and I think he was not wanting to ask be if they were women’s boots.

I said, “They are very comfortable.” and he let the subject drop.

Yeah, I know, I’m not wearing thigh boots with 5” stilettos to work, but I have always tried to keep heeling and work separated. Wearing boots with 2” heels really is a big step.

I have a thread on this topic http://www.hhplace.org/discuss/guys/7569-boots_work.html?highlight=work'> Boots at Work

I dream of a world where chickens can cross roads without having their motives questioned.

I knew that I would be wearing "work"-shoes much of the day, so it was a perfect day to do it. I just walk in as usual but noone made a single remark about it. I know that they noticed. I can really decide if I'm glad about the lack of response.

I find the lack of response very entertaining, you've taken people out of their comfort zone, they'll need time to discuss it between themselves to make sure they have the "right" opinion, before anyone will have the guts to say anything. Its that fear of having the minority opinion, the same fear that we have put aside by wearing what we wear.

Give it a few days and someone will say something.

Hi, I posted earlier saying I wore girlier styles 3 out of 5 days. Here is what I wore for half of today. The only queries I got were the usual "how do you wear those?" and the "I couldn't walk in those" sort of conversation starters... otherwise nobody says anything. rgds Heel-Lover

post-642-133522846088_thumb.jpg

post-642-133522846091_thumb.jpg

post-642-133522846094_thumb.jpg

It appears you are dressed in the classic femail business look. Well dressed for an office environment. Very "professional and appropriate. I am curious, however, what opinions your co-workers have about the way you dress. And, why dressed that way for just part of the day? Also, what kind of business are you involved in if your employer has no objection to that look on a man?

Being mentally comfortable in your own mind is the key to wearing heels in public.

Hi,

I posted earlier saying I wore girlier styles 3 out of 5 days. Here is what I wore for half of today.

Beautiful heels, great outfit. With a tie and [optionally] a waistcoat, it'd become a bit more edgy.

What is good for a goose, can be good for any gender!

Hi Bubba136, I am a sales rep so I am out and about a lot. I look after larger clients so don't have too many calls but was well established in the industry before I broke out the shoes so to speak. I don't wear them around the office because not everyone knows I wear heels and some divisions of my wider working team are quite narrow minded. I do all my shopping, meals, coffees, etc and approx 1/2 my work with heels on my feet. rgds Heel-Lover

Hi to all, here my answer to the original question: No, I have never worn "girly" shoes at work when visiting customers. And I don't intend to do it in future. As developer of software I'm working the most time at home. Enough occasions to wear my most believed heels the whole day ... On the other side I have never been afraid of meeting by accident one of my customers in the city. If it should happen I have sworn myself not to grow red and stutter embarassed. I would probably say something like "Ouch - now you have got me on my most beloved footwear! Concerning shoes I'm a little bit crazy but aren't my shoes also appropiate for a guy?" I think that after giving the question back a honest and good discussion could develop. Until now this never happened. Usually I'm wearing in the streets of Frankfurt more "androgynous" than "girly" styles (cowgirl- and block heel boots). But on days with a cool mood also high heeled stiletto boots over drain pipe jeans - like the cutest girls with the actual boots fashion 8)

The best fashion is your own fashion!

Hi all, I've just arrived in my workplace for the day. Starting at 1.00pm and on until 9.00 tonight. Yuk! I'm wearing 3.5 inch loafers (from Tall Girls), with my grey bootflare jeans (same place). It feels great. Walking in was a non-event, so was arriving. Great fun! All best wishes. Tosca

Tosca, Are you dressed to present yourself as a male or female? Just curious. If male, that's remarkable and worth knowing. Tell us more. If female, that's fine, too, but then it's not surprising that nobody notices or comments on the shoes. GWL

Hi, I'm representing myself as male. As I'm 6'1" in bare feet, I probably wouldn't make for a convincing woman anyway, though I'm a slim, reasonably fit, 48 year old. And anyway, I don't want to confuse people, I just want those around me to accept that rules, if that's what they are, need not be adhered to, and can be broken or disregarded. And nothing bad happens when you do! I'm just a guy who loves wearing styles of clothes, shoes, occasionally a bit of make-up (usually just concealer under the eyes, and a bit of mascara to define the upper lid, and natural-colour lipstick for the moisturing), the sort of thing which I accept most people I come into contact with would associate with women rather than men. When colleagues have asked me why, I usually just shrug 'why not, it's just stuff I like to do', why make the distinction?' I guess I'm just disinclined to go along with gendered uniformity when there's no reason to. I'll often wear a skirt, though usually nothing 'girly'; denim or corduroy, either ankle or knee length, depending on the weather. Mostly people don't seem to notice, or to care that much. I get my share of stupid comments if I'm out in the city shopping in a skirt, but to be honest it doesn't happen often enough to put me off doing it. And I've never been threatened on the street. I like to think people will just see an ordinary guy wearing a skirt and/or a pair of heels and think 'It's different, maybe unorthadox, but hey, it's his thing, it just ain't mine'. Everyone at work is totally cool about my heeling and skirting. As long as my work is good, it's fine. And I'm good at my job. Interestingly since I'm in an academic library with students from all over the world, lot's of different cultures with different values, I've never had an adverse reaction over the 3 years that I've been open about my free-styling. A few curious looks, the odd snigger, mostly from Brits, and some compliments, but nothing negative, and no complaints, formal or informal. I'm not unusual. I'm just differently usual! All best wishes, Tosca