Have you ever gone to work in "girly" shoes ?

Pumps

Wearing my 5" oxfords today at work. No one ever seems to notice. Though to be honest, you'd have to be standing next to me to notice the height difference - though a few have commented "Jim, you barely clear the doorway!" - not realizing why. Also, I notice at work that there is much more eye contact when you talk with people you know - you don't see people looking down. Also, my pants cover all but the toes and maybe 1/2 of heel when standing. It's only when walking do the heels make their more obvious appearance.

That depends on your definition of "girly". I wear women's shoes to work every day. Most of the time they are loafers. I do have a pair with about a 1.5" heel that are relatively girly, but not heels by any stretch of the imagination (here at least).

Like Katrina, I wear women's loafers and 1.75" wedges to work nearly every day with khakis and dress slacks. My coworkers have commented on how many different pairs of shoes I have, but I don't think any have ever figured out (or don't care) that they are women's shoes.

Hi all, I'm at work now, in 3 inch navy courts/pumps, and black bootflare jeans. I frequently wear heeled boots, up to 2.5 inchs, and lower heeled Mary Janes, about 1.5 inchs, at work. On the rare occasions comments are made, they are positive and complementary. I work in an academic library, so I guess it's a pretty relaxed, liberal atmosphere. Loads of people here from all over the world; I frequently wear a skirt to work too, without any negative comments. I know I'm lucky! On the tangential question of legware, I find women's jeans infinitely better fitting than any pair of men's jeans I've ever tried. I don't bother even looking at men's jeans anymore. All best wishes, Tosca

Still rainin' still dreamin'

At one job I had in Denver in a call centre, I wore heels all the time....usually the more outlandish,the better. Here is the story about what I wore during those times.

Sad thing is.....although I had a lot of really good responses from co-workers, and management said nothing about it, it turns out I got some "looks" from some of the sup types.

I don't wear them at my current job, but I still enjoy wearing them with colleagues OUTSIDE of work, and it seems to work out well in the end.

SQ.....still busting societal molds with a smile...and a 50-ton sledge!

At one job I had in Denver in a call centre, I wore heels all the time....usually the more outlandish,the better. Here is the story about what I wore during those times.

Sad thing is.....although I had a lot of really good responses from co-workers, and management said nothing about it, it turns out I got some "looks" from some of the sup types.

I don't wear them at my current job, but I still enjoy wearing them with colleagues OUTSIDE of work, and it seems to work out well in the end.

So you just DID IT ? Very cool. I think my colleagues would be shocked, but then I work in a company with only 3 women out of 20-25 people.

Hi all,

Mikey, I seriously like those wedge loafers!

Where did you get them from?

Tosca

I see your from the UK.

I got them some time ago, they were from the Next clearance shop in Merry Hill shopping centre, Brierley hill, West-Midlands.

Looking at the website I'd be tempted by these.

Posted Image

Or these which are really cute looking 8)

Posted Image

I wear women's style shoes to work too, just not my more extreme styles. I wear clogs, loafers, Doc Martin 8065's and similar styles. One female coworker commented the my DM's were a "different style for a man to wear." I just agreed with her and nothing else was said. I rarely wear men's styles anymore!!

If the shoe fits-buy it!!!!!!

I wear it 3 or 4 times a week. Usually its boots under flare or bootcut trousers with a shirt or jeans on a friday. Sometime I get compliments from the ladies. They dont hurt my feet as much as the regular men shoes. Sometimes I wish I can wear the boots everywhere 8) . I work as a contractor for the gov.

The question really should be re-written: Have you ever gone to work in "girly" shoes but otherwise dressed in all-male attire? I suspect that some of the answers here are from CDs or TGs, not telling us that they are dressed en femme. There's nothing wrong with that, it's just that we're not getting the whole picture. I think there's a big difference in wearing girly shoes dressed as a women vs. wearing girly shoes and otherwise dressed as a man. GWL

GWL, Good point.

I dress as a man and wear heels every day to work. Ankle boots like this

Posted Image

Loafers like this although I have worn them out now I wore them that much. Tallgirls.co.uk still stock them and well worth having.

Posted Image

and these brogue style boots from Eddie Bauer (my favorites)

Posted Image

All heels are 3.5". I wear womens boot cut trousers as I lke the slight flare and the hem about 1" up from the floor. Been doing this now for two years.

As you see, the heels are thicker, but still "girly", but when I feel like it then I wear these knee boots.

Posted Image

The heel being 4" and 18mm x 20mm D section, so this really qualifies as "Girly".

TB2

Are you confusing me with someone who gives a damn?

GWL, Good point.

I dress as a man and wear heels every day to work. Ankle boots like this

Posted Image

Loafers like this although I have worn them out now I wore them that much. Tallgirls.co.uk still stock them and well worth having.

I like them but I can't find them there. Do you know their name?

The question really should be re-written: Have you ever gone to work in "girly" shoes but otherwise dressed in all-male attire?

I suspect that some of the answers here are from CDs or TGs, not telling us that they are dressed en femme. There's nothing wrong with that, it's just that we're not getting the whole picture. I think there's a big difference in wearing girly shoes dressed as a women vs. wearing girly shoes and otherwise dressed as a man.

GWL

Well, I consider myself TG, but I'm no where near full time, so I spend most of the time in drab - hence girly shoes with otherwise male attire.

I like them but I can't find them there. Do you know their name?

Hi Admirer,

They came from NEXT two years ago, so no longer available as they change their styles every 6 months. Typical, as soon as you find a shoe you love, you can no longer get it!8)

TB2

Are you confusing me with someone who gives a damn?

and i think in my country the tolerance is 0 .

Oh really? Belgium seems quite cosmopolitan to me because of all that EU institutions, and I thought that people are generally much more open-minded than down here in Poland.

What is good for a goose, can be good for any gender!

I'm always amused at how everyone thinks HE lives in the most conservative place and could never wear HH in his locale. "My place is too redneck to go out in heels." "They (who??) would never allow me to wear heels here." "I might get hurt by a homophobe here." etc. The truth is that the demons are in our heads. If you don't make a big deal of it, most people won't even notice (unless like us they have a shoe fixation), and those who do notice won't generally care. Some perceptive women who really dig shoes may compliment you. Teenage girls may giggle. Most people are too wrapped up in their own world to give you a second glance. Haven't you all seen kids with green hair? You look once, shrug you shoulders, and that's it. So wear what you want when you want, and do it proudly. And if you think a particular neighborhood is too tough or run-down to allow you to go there in heels, it's probably not safe in men's shoes either! Don't go there! GWL

Hi Admirer,

They came from NEXT two years ago, so no longer available as they change their styles every 6 months. Typical, as soon as you find a shoe you love, you can no longer get it!8)

TB2

When I've found something I like I tend to buy several pairs especially if cheap or in the sales.

Nope. Never have. Highly unlikely that I would either. Despite all our company policies outlawing discrimination, unprofessional conduct, verbal abuse, etc., the ribbing would be absolutely merciless. And I work in an office, not on a construction site BTW!

Always High-Heel Responsibly

I'm always amused at how everyone thinks HE lives in the most conservative place and could never wear HH in his locale.

"My place is too redneck to go out in heels."

"They (who??) would never allow me to wear heels here."

"I might get hurt by a homophobe here." etc.

The truth is that the demons are in our heads. If you don't make a big deal of it, most people won't even notice (unless like us they have a shoe fixation), and those who do notice won't generally care. Some perceptive women who really dig shoes may compliment you. Teenage girls may giggle. Most people are too wrapped up in their own world to give you a second glance. Haven't you all seen kids with green hair? You look once, shrug you shoulders, and that's it. So wear what you want when you want, and do it proudly.

And if you think a particular neighborhood is too tough or run-down to allow you to go there in heels, it's probably not safe in men's shoes either! Don't go there!

GWL

To an extent I agree with your comments. But you make reference to "kids with green hair". The difference between them and us is:

They have a group of friends who all do/wear similar things. They probably hang out together at McDonalds or the skate park. Thus they are never really alone in their interests.

We are largely brought together by the internet, most of us don't have a group of friends who also wear heels to go hang out at a bar or whatever and so by being the only man within 50miles wearing womens shoes we potentially alienate ourselves from the "norm".

I personally just do whatever I want, because no matter how hard you try you'll never be something your not, you'll never be the same as everyone else. There will always be something about you that people consider to be outside the "norm".

I'm always amused at how everyone thinks HE lives in the most conservative place and could never wear HH in his locale.

"My place is too redneck to go out in heels."

"They (who??) would never allow me to wear heels here."

"I might get hurt by a homophobe here." etc.

The truth is that the demons are in our heads. If you don't make a big deal of it, most people won't even notice (unless like us they have a shoe fixation), and those who do notice won't generally care. Some perceptive women who really dig shoes may compliment you. Teenage girls may giggle. Most people are too wrapped up in their own world to give you a second glance. Haven't you all seen kids with green hair? You look once, shrug you shoulders, and that's it. So wear what you want when you want, and do it proudly.

And if you think a particular neighborhood is too tough or run-down to allow you to go there in heels, it's probably not safe in men's shoes either! Don't go there!

GWL

Exactly.

people would say that my neighbourhood is rough, but because it's rough it's one of the few places where artists and students can afford to live. They're usually the ones pushing the envelope...

Besides being an "inner city" area the people around here have seen it and done it...

Graduate footwear designer able to advise and assist on modification and shoe making projects.

Exactly.

people would say that my neighbourhood is rough, but because it's rough it's one of the few places where artists and students can afford to live. They're usually the ones pushing the envelope...

Besides being an "inner city" area the people around here have seen it and done it...

Shoe, I assumed you were more in suburbia than inner city London.

Heel-D - Freestyling since 2005

Hi all, I'm here at work on the public desk in an academic library wearing navy 3 inch chisel heel court shoes/pumps. No reaction from anyone, and I'm having a great time! No one in the back office is bothered either, neither was I troubled while walking in to work this morning. Find a place in your heads folks, and inhabit it with happiness and freedom! All best wishes, Tosca

Still rainin' still dreamin'

Most libraries, unless heavily carpreted, are very "echoie." So, your travels from desk to shelves is going to resinate for all to enjoy.8)

Being mentally comfortable in your own mind is the key to wearing heels in public.