The feel of various heel heights

Himark

I wonder if I'm the only one who notices this, or do other people have the same experience. For the past ten years I've rarely worn any shoes with less than 2 inch heels (for medical reasons, flat shoes are very unconfortable for me - truth!). So now I find that 2 inch heels feel completely flat, but, surprisingly, the feel of the slight rise when I change to 2 1/2 or 3 inch heels is quite noticeable when walking. Strangely, if I go to 3.5 or 4 inch heels, the feeling of height seems less noticeable, and the shoes can actually feel flatter. At these heights, more of my weight shifts forward onto the front of my feet, and I'm putting less weight on my heels. At 4.5 to 5 inches, the height becomes much more noticeable again, and I reach my limit at 5.5 inches. I've tried and found I can't walk properly in 6 inch heels, only totter. I wear US Womens size 12, so if any women wearing smaller sizes feel the same kind of thing, I would expect it might occur at a somewhat lower height, say a half inch less at the 3 or 4 inch levels.

No, but I have noticed that higher heels can feel lower than the same or even slightly lower heels if the shoes are made better than the lower heels (mainly, a sturdy heel connected to a strong instep shank, which stabilizes the heel and prevents wobble).

I have noticed how different heel heights feel. I have one pair of boots with three inch heels which I barely wear because they feel so low. Four inches is my usual height, and I can walk in them confidently. Four and a half inches up to five feel *very* high, but I can still walk properly. Anything much over five inches we're into tottering territory, which is a lot of fun but no use for going out! Chris

It actually depends on the pitch of the shoe or more accurately the last on which it's made. If it has a pronounced arch, then you could well find that it feels flatter than a shoe with the same height with no curvature to the arch. The comfort factor of the shoe plays a part too.

Graduate footwear designer able to advise and assist on modification and shoe making projects.

the way they are made,the arch,etc are very important. i have boots with 5 inch heels that are more comfortable to wear than some with 3 and 1/2 or 4 inch heels. the worst pair i have are pair of the angie chap boots. i think they were designed by some sort of sadist...the arch is whacked beyond belief.

To me, 4-inch heels almost feel like sneakers. 4.5-inch heels are easy. Five inches is no problem, nor is 5.25 inches. At 5.5 inches, it really becomes noticeable. I can go as high as 5.75 inches and still keep my legs straight. 6-inch heels are definitely out.

Black 5-inch stilettos - the only way to go!

It actually depends on the pitch of the shoe or more accurately the last on which it's made. If it has a pronounced arch, then you could well find that it feels flatter than a shoe with the same height with no curvature to the arch. The comfort factor of the shoe plays a part too.

I couldn't agree more. I have a few pairs of 3"/3.5" heels from popular High Street Chain-stores - and they are desperately uncomfortable.

However - put me into my 4.75" or 5" El Dantes, Nine-Wests, Gina's or Karen Millen's and they feel like my comfiest pair of slippers. Same for my 4.5" Faith/Solo boots. Even my 6" platforms from 'Footlights' hardly feel like they are on - as they are beautifully balanced.

"Good Girls keep diaries....Bad Girls just don't have the time...!:icon_twisted:"

Hi all , just spent an hour in my ballets and then put my 5.5" courts on feel like slippers , going to have to do this more often , courts feel so much easier .

The wearing of ballets is a standard method to prepare for extreme heels...

Graduate footwear designer able to advise and assist on modification and shoe making projects.

• 1 year later...

Dr. Shoe,

Do any of the manufactures of the higher heeled footwear for the general public offer good arch support as a rule? Most of the heels I see on the market now day have the arch area of the shoe so straight, that the foot literally can slide off the heel and the wearer would not know the difference except for the huge gap of open space from the back of the shoe to the heel of the foot or the scrunching of the toes. Even looking at them being worn by others, makes me wonder how much longer those people can endure the pain.

I'm finding that if a high heel doesn't have the curvature for the arch, the shoes are much harder to walk in for any length of time and they don't seem to stablize or support me as I walk.

• 2 weeks later...

Histiletto... You bring up a good point. But in my case, Ihave a very high arch in my feet and that is why high heels are more comfortable for me to wear. I know there are companies now with new arch supports for high heels that actually make them good for your feet. But I don't know if I have seen a pair of high heels with built-in supports.

For some reason I walk best in flats and 5' heels. I have a pair of and 4' heels but I don't wear them that often because they are very uncomfortable to walk in. Does anyone know how this is possible?

For some reason I walk best in flats and 5' heels.

I have a pair of and 4' heels but I don't wear them that often because they are very uncomfortable to walk in.

Does anyone know how this is possible?

Maybe it is the design of the shoe, are your 4" heels of comparable quality to your other shoes?

He was so narrow minded he could see through a keyhole with both eyes.

Brown's Law: If the shoe fits, it's ugly

• 3 weeks later...

I find that it depends somewhat on the quality and design of the heel. i feel most comfortable all day in 4-4.5" heels and boots. have owned some cheaper 3" heels in past that gave me sore feet in about an hour.