That's it .... default mode is skirt and heels.

xaphod

• Replies 186
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This morning I dressed for my grocery stop in a little more daring fashion. I wore a off white long sleeved shirt over a black turtleneck, gold loop earrings, black hose, a short (mid thigh) black suede leather skirt, black thigh boots with 5” stiletto heels. The top of the boots came to just below the hem of the skirt. I really like this outfit, which is why I wore it, but it is a little more than most people are ready for. The last time I wore this (read back in this thread) the outing didn’t go too well partly because it was the first time I went out dress this way and I didn’t have full confidence in the look. This time at least I had the confidence. Anyway… One of the first things I noticed when I got out of the car was that it was cold. The boots kept my legs warm but it was cool from the boot tops up. When I got into the store I did notice a different attitude from the staff. Today, they didn’t make an effort to bid me good morning. Most just ignored me (like they wished I wasnt there) and that is not the reception I normally get. I did wander around the store a bit just because I had the time and I do enjoy this look. When I got to the register there was a clerk who had seen me in a skirt and boots before and I asker her, “Is this pushing it too far?” She paused then asked, “Is it too far for you?” “Almost… What makes it too much?” “Everything from my point of view.” I was not expecting that answer. I knew this lady didn’t really like the way I dressed, but this was the first opportunity I had given her to really tell me that. Remember I’m a customer in her store and I’m sure the staff is trained to avoid conflicts with the customers. I appreciated her candor and thanked her for her comment. I have seen very few women (none really) dressed as I was and there has to be a reason for that. (Any discussion would be appreciated). I may have to limit my thigh boot wearing to “worn over jeans” and accept that a short skirt with thigh boots on a guy is more than society is ready to deal with. The operative word in the last sentence is “may”. I like this look too much to completely give up on it. It still was a good start for the day.

I dream of a world where chickens can cross roads without having their motives questioned.

Last night after work I had to stop at a pet store for cat food. I changed from my work slacks and shoes into the short black suede shirt and black thigh boots with 5” stiletto heels. It was late enough that there weren’t any customers in the store but there were two clerks. I walked in and the young lady at the register gave me a nice smile. I told her I needed a case of food and she went into the back to get it. In the meantime the male clerk appeared and gave me a friendly “Good evening Sir, how are you”. I think was telling me he realized I was a guy wearing a skirt. I was glad to here that he wasn’t blind and told him I was just fine. It turned out that he had to go and help the girl find the case of food and there was a lot of conversation between the clerks and I about my purchase, but not a word about my outfit. I really wanted two cases of food but the store only had one so I went to another store still dressed in my skirt and boots. The store was much the same, no customers and two clerks, male and female. Again there was much todo about filling my order. They had to take a case worth of cans off the shelf and there was a lot of conversation about filling the order, but again not a work about my outfit. My reading of the reaction of all four clerks was that the short skirt and thigh boots were too much and they were not immediately comfortable with my presents. After I was there for a while that seemed to lesson but they still though my outfit was too much. I have been to both of those stores wearing thigh boots and I think I wore a knee length skirt to at least one. I got a different reaction form the clerks that were there when I wore something other than the short skirt. It has to be the combination of the short skirt and thigh boots that causes the unease. Knowing the reaction I get from this outfit doesn’t mean I won’t wear it but it does mean I will be more cautious about when and where I wear it. I’m not sure I have the nerve to try wearing a leather mini skirt with thigh boots in public. Again any discussion on why a 6” difference in the hem length causes so different a reaction would be welcomed.

I dream of a world where chickens can cross roads without having their motives questioned.

I really was hoping there would be a little discussion on wearing leather skirts so I went looking for some and I came across what I think was a good one. Leather Skirts & Trousers

The significant paragraph is:

Leather skirts make you extremely popular with men, who see them as one of the hallmark adverts of a hooker. They also make you highly unpopular with women, who will regard you as a complete joke if the skirt doesn't suit you, or a complete whore if you look great. Consequently, If you want to be comfortable wearing a leather skirt in public you have to become immune to the disdain of women and the fantasy imaginings of men. I don't have a problem with this, but I think most women do.

Another site Maria’s Diary contains the following:

Now, a leather skirt is a very risky item to wear in public. You can look a million dollars in one, or you can look like a complete fashion disaster.

Leather skirts make you extremely popular with men. They also make you highly unpopular with women. Even if what you're wearing has been featured on the front cover of Vogue magazine, as far as most women are concerned two simple equations explain the phenomenon of a woman over the age of twenty-five who's wearing such a garment:

Leather skirt + dumpy plain woman = complete joke

Leather skirt + highly attractive woman = whore

If you want to be comfortable wearing a leather skirt in public you have to become immune to the disdain of women and the fantasy imaginings of men

There is further discussion about wearing thigh boots but that’s another thread.

I do understand that you don’t believe everything you read on the web.

Any thoughts?

Well, here is a thread at the Fashion Spot.com where the topic for discussion is Men In Skirts.

And here is a topic on Otk or Thigh-high Boots.

I actually haven't seen many women wearing leather skirts this season. I did see one girl at ONE who was wearing standard stiletto knee high boots, black stockings, and a black leather skirt that went to her knees. She was wearing a standard black turtleneck with the outfit and it looked good.

I guess if I was going to wear a leather skirt, I would start by looking for pictures of how women were pulling off the look of "leather skirts"

Christie Brinkley is rocking the color combo in pic #1.

Here is Lenny Henry in Edinburg pulling off a leather kilt. This search was done under "leather skirt" (singular)

edited: that link doesn't work. Do a search for leather skirt, and on page 4 or 5 in the first row, the first pic on the left, you'll see Mr. Henry

Good luck...thats a challenging look for women to pull off, let alone for men.

Feminine Style .  Masculine Soul.  Skin In The Game.

• 2 weeks later...

Monday started off as a cold brisk day. I planned a morning grocery stop and a shopping trip at Sam’s after work. I left the house wearing a dark green turtleneck, brown suede coat, black thigh boots with 5” stiletto heels cuffed down to knee length, black hose and a knee length black leather skirt. This is my favorite skirt. It is heavy cow leather and tight enough to look good and feel great to wear but not so tight that there are unseemly bulges.

The grocery stop was uneventful. I walked in and got my stuff (I didn’t have time to wander around). I had never seen the register clerk before but she didn’t seemed ruffled in the least as I walked up to the register. The guy in front of me took note of my boots and skirt but then went about his business of bagging his groceries.

At Sam’s I went in and realized I had forgotten my hat. Thinking back on all these postings I have never mentioned that I wear a black baseball style hat. This is really part of my outfit. I wear my hear in a pony tail and the hat covers the lack of hair on the top of my head. I really look like a different person with the hat than without. Without the hat I look like an old balding guy wearing a leather skirt and thigh boots. With the hat I really look much younger and with the skirt and thigh boots some people have to look twice to be sure I’m a guy (most get it at first glance) anyway the hat really helps the look.

When I went in there was a young guy at the door checking Ids and he had never seen me before. I think he was having a tough time dealing with what he saw. I had to get a lot of big stuff so I quickly loaded my cart with the biggest items and checked out of the store. I went out to the car and unloaded the cart, put my hat on, and want back into the store.

The hat really makes a difference in how I feel even if it doesn’t change the overall appearance that much. My confidence comes from being comfortable with how I look and the hat is part of that look. I pulled my boots up to their full height (because it was cold) and this brought the top of the boots about 1” above the hem of the skirt. This time I wandered around getting the smaller items and I just took my time.

I had seen the girl at the checkout register before and I asked her if “this is too much”?

She replied, “Your fine”.

After that I stopped for gas at a pay at the pump station then headed home.

Sometimes I wish this skirt wasn’t so absolutely comfortable and felt so good to wear then I wouldn’t be tempted to wear it as much. I do appreciate that any skirt but particularly a tight black leather one is pushing the envelope about as far as I can expect other people to tolerate it. People seem to accept the thigh boots even with stiletto heels but the skirt seems to bother folks a little more. I’ll just have to be sure about the places I go wearing one.

This was a good start of the week.

(As I was entering this, I reread my previous post. I really should keep that in mind before I go out in a leather skirt).

kneeheighs -

Thanks for the references. Interesting reading.