That's it .... default mode is skirt and heels.

xaphod

Those are some very interesting experiences you've had, xaphod. "Begrudging tolerance" is certainly a good term to use. People may not be totally accepting of a man in a skirt but won't raise a fuss about it. Continued success to you, my friend. ;)

I don't want to LOOK like a woman, I just want to DRESS like a woman!

• Replies 186
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Image

Not that I'm an expert or anything like that, but a pair of black boots would work perfectly with that dress! Simply smashing!

;)

JeffB:-) I agree with you that a pair of black leather boots would look smashing with that red dress. I have seen similiar outfits in the catalogs like that lately. And it is available in black also. Cheers--- Dawn HH

High Heeled Boots Forever!

A question regarding this topic: When out and about in a skirt, what do you keep your wallet, keys, loose change and other little items in? I mean, the tiny pockets of a skirt can only hold so much. What are our options? A small backpack? A man purse? A woman's purse? What can we use that would work best for us? Any suggestions?

;)

How about a kangaroo-style belt-bag ?

Hmm! That's a good idea! Didn't think of that! Definitely worth consideration. Thanks for the suggestion!

;)

I have been using a black leather “kangaroo-style belt-bag” on and off for several years. I keep my keys, wallet, and change in the pouch and hang my cell phone on the strap. Most of the time I carry it over my shoulder like a purse because I never liked the look of wearing one. I did this long before I started experimenting wearing a skirt. It’s a little more trouble than pockets but its a lot more comfortable then sitting on a wallet. I have started using this bag again when I go out with pants or a skirt. On my last trip, I used a black leather backpack style purse. This can also be carried on one shoulder and looks sharp. There was plenty of room for keys, wallet, cell phone, and sketchbook. I haven’t understood why, but the guards at the National Gallery in D.C wanted me to carry the pack on one shoulder rather than as a backpack.

I dream of a world where chickens can cross roads without having their motives questioned.

I've heard of this before, thighbootguy. Another result of 9/11. Backpacks are considered suspicious.

Shafted, the boots that is! View my gallery here http://www.hhplace.o...afteds-gallery/ or view my heeling thread here http://www.hhplace.org/topic/3850-new-pair-of-boots-starts-me-serious-street-heeling/ - Pm me if you want fashion advice or just need someone to talk to.

Shafted

Thanks for the update. The security guards went through the pack when I walked in the museum. I still don’t see how it made a difference if I wore the pack over one shoulder or both shoulders. Whatever, I was there to look at the paintings not to argue with the guards. They were happy with pack on one shoulder and I had a great time looking at the art while wearing a flat heeled pair of thigh boots.

I dream of a world where chickens can cross roads without having their motives questioned.

At lunch I stopped by our local Goodwill (thrift store). I found they were having a 50% off everything sale. I spotted a long straight dark gray knit skirt that has a side slit that goes up to the knee. I tried it on and decided it would look good. They also had a similar skirt without the slit in light gray and off white. I now have 3 new (still with the manufacturer’s label) skirts and I’m only $6 poorer.

A question regarding this topic: When out and about in a skirt, what do you keep your wallet, keys, loose change and other little items in? I mean, the tiny pockets of a skirt can only hold so much. What are our options? A small backpack? A man purse? A woman's purse? What can we use that would work best for us? Any suggestions?

;)

I fit a "D" ring on the front right-hand side of the waistband of some of my straight skirts to keep my keys on when I go out. I got the idea from the women at my local bank who wear straight skirts which are too slim to be able to have pockets.

"You can check out anytime you like, but you can never leave ! " The Eagles, "Hotel California"

At lunch I stopped by our local Goodwill (thrift store). I found they were having a 50% off everything sale. I spotted a long straight dark gray knit skirt that has a side slit that goes up to the knee. I tried it on and decided it would look good. They also had a similar skirt without the slit in light gray and off white. I now have 3 new (still with the manufacturer’s label) skirts and I’m only $6 poorer.

Regardless of what you buy, there's nothing like a sale, and it sounds like you scooped up a few bargains. With the gray skirt, I'm thinking a black top with black boots would work best there. Experiment with different tops until you find a combination that you'll like. I'm honored to have been your inspiration for skirt wearing, but it should be the other way around since you've been out in yours, something I haven't done yet, but now I'm seriously thinking of following suit. Yeah, I'm thinking that might well happen once I work out all the logistics for such a venture. A long skirt with boots would probably be my best bet. Yeah, I'll work on putting it all together in the weeks to come.

;)

I just realized something about my new skirts. They are a light knit fabric that is very form following, kind of like this:

Posted Image

Any shirt I wear with these skirts will have to be worn outside the skirt. It will look awful to have the outline of a lumpy shirt tail showing throught the material.

The off white one is long enough to be able to wear with my granny boots and cover the shaft of the boots, even when I’m sitting.

JeffB -

I was also thinking black top and black boots.

Posted Image

This might sound absolutely crazy, and you can call me a loopjob for suggesting this, but why not consider wearing a dress like that? The length would work perfectly with boots (and perhaps a wide belt as an accessory) and it's sleek lines would be highly complimentary. Also, what about a long coat with your long skirts? That might make for a cunning outfit. Just a thought, nutty as it may be!

;)

Or how about something like this, also from the Victoria's Secret website:

Posted Image

Now there's a super cool combination of a long dress with a turtleneck style collar I find appealing with black boots. Pair that with a wide black belt, a long black leather coat and you've got one totally killer outfit! Just a suggestion!

;)

Today was a skirt day. I tried one of my new skirts just to see how it would go. I started with a black turtleneck and planned on wearing the long off white skirt with my granny boots. JeffB and I both thought this would be a winning combination. We were both wrong. The white and black were too much of a contrast for the look I was going after. I changed into the dark gray skirt and it looked very nice but the slit didn’t work with the granny boots. I wound up wearing the medium gray skirt that did not have a slit. The outfit did look very nice (my opinion).

I started with my normal stop at the grocery. Several folks noticed the guy in the long skirt but I got very little reaction. At the checkout the clerk was the lady who said she wished she was as thin as I was when I wore the long suede leather skirt. There were two ladies in the queue in front of me and both noticed what I was wearing. Both gave me a once over then threw me a nice smile. As I was leaving, the register clerk said, ”It was good seeing you again”.

After work I went to Sam’s. Very few people even noticed I was wearing a long skirt. The few that did raised an eyebrow or two then went on their way. I wandered around a bit then headed for the checkout. The register clerk has waited on me many times and knows me by name. I said, “I’m trying something a little different.”

She said, “Whatever makes you happy.”

I asked if this was too much different than my boots?

She said, “People are going to comment no matter what you do.”

I said, “Surprisingly they don’t.”

“Really?”

“Yeah, no kidding.”

Both of the register clerks had seen me many times wearing my thigh boots and were used to seeing them. The skirt was something new and it was just like the first time they saw me in thigh boots. It will take a little getting used to.

JeffB –

Both of the pictures we have posted are as far away from contrasting pieces in clothing as they can get. One is all red, and the other is all black. The long skirt seems to go better in a non-contrasting outfit. A shorter black leather skirt looks good when contrasted with a white shirt but the long black skirt doesn’t look good at all. It may be that there is so much material in the long skirt that the contrast is too great. I’m sure there are people that already know all this stuff, but it’s kind of fun discovering.

Today was a skirt day. I tried one of my new skirts just to see how it would go. I started with a black turtleneck and planned on wearing the long off white skirt with my granny boots. JeffB and I both thought this would be a winning combination.

My ten-pennorth, TBG and Jeff, is that the lighter colour should be on top. I find a white top goes well with a light brown suede skirt and tan boots. If I've been working outside and I have a suntanned face, that goes well too.

On a totally different point, I got to judge the fancy dress competition on 'All Hallows Eve (29th)' at a pub I frequent. I went there in black knee-high boots and over-knee black satin skirt. The top half all matched in deep red-purple (sortof appropriate for this ghoulish time of year), a roll-neck jumper, long leather coat (they called it 'plum' colour in the shop) and, to top it all, matching purple nail varnish.

There was method in this madness (or should it be madness in the method ? !! ), since the pub was offering a free drink to anyone in fancy dress. Outside there were quite a few kids who saw me walking up to the pub in this attire ... 'you wearing a skirt?' one asked.

'Yep, and I'll get a free pint because of it,' I replied.

Since most of the clientele had made an effort to dress up, this seemed quite a reasonable response to the kids' enquiry, in the circucumstances.

I consider the landlord and landlady nascent friends, my having spent an afternoon as the sole client in their pub soon after they had taken over the place, it being run to rack and ruin by the previous owners. They have both downshifted, she being an A&E nurse, he a surgeon (with a bad back, which put the mockers on leaning over the operating table for any extended period). As intelligent and urbane characters, I find them stimulating and worldly-wise. OK, when I first appeared in a skirt, they did a double-take, but they found the same person underneath my new appearance, so, if anything, my welcome is now more enthusiastic.

The idea of coming to the fancy dress do was to ease my new appearance into the mindset of some of the locals, the landlady suggesting I judge the assorted ghouls for the first prize. In the end, we split the prize between two, Fester and Morticia receiving one half, and the green wood-nymph the other. Actually, there was a bit of politics in this, the wood-nymph's family all having made a good effort, mum had to have a prize.

One of the guys later noted that I must have spent quite an amount on my outfit, just for one event, so I said 'well actually I don't necessarily need a fancy-dress event to wear it.'

'Thought so,' said he.

Xa

Thighbootguy: Well, part of the fun of putting together outfits is experimenting to find out what will, or won't work before heading out into the world. I take lots of notes while experimenting so I have a record of the outfits I've put together or culled, from tops to bottoms to shoes. Perhaps you could try that and see what happens. I find that notetaking sharpens my focus when it comes to inventing my own sense of fashion. Meanwhile, it sounds like your outings in skirts are slowly becoming more commonplace. More power to you, my friend!

;)

Its interesting reading this forum about men debating about wearing a skirt. There is a similar forum at http://chat.dailymail.co.uk/dailymail/forum.jsp?forum=296 in which several women are discussing whether they can wear a skirt at work. A couple of them say that all the women in their office now wear trousers all the time and they would feel out of place in a skirt and high heels and are afraid of being ridiculed by the other women, makes interesting reading.

"You can check out anytime you like, but you can never leave ! " The Eagles, "Hotel California"

I really like the look of those boots with jeans. Not so keen on the look with the kilt though. I can't put my finger on exactly why I don't like it, but I think it has something to do with the style of the shafts.

Shafted, the boots that is! View my gallery here http://www.hhplace.o...afteds-gallery/ or view my heeling thread here http://www.hhplace.org/topic/3850-new-pair-of-boots-starts-me-serious-street-heeling/ - Pm me if you want fashion advice or just need someone to talk to.

Shafted, maybe the colors of the boots don't compare with the kilt. tightlevisandhhboots, those boots looknice with jeans than a kilt, but that's my opinion, don't accuse me ;) Nice pictures, but you should place your camera on a table, it will stand still than, they look a bit blurry now, but it isn't a complaint!

Here is another skirt with LONG black socks and my block heel shorties. Again, I wear the boots all the time with jeans, but this is t he first time I paired them up with this skirt.

Posted Image

I know my pics are not the greatest, but I'm using the mirror to get the shots of myself, as my camera doesn't have a timer...

Thanks again for the comments. If anyone is intersted in Super Long Socks (all the way to my crotch which is a 36+" inseam!) try www.sockdreams.com

Thanks again, TLAHHBs

This morning I went grocery shopping wearing a tan suede jacket, olive green turtleneck, long dark gray knit skirt, and black granny boots. I noticed that several employees that knew me ignored me. One cashier was off duty, and I kind of expected her to at least say “Hi” but I know she disapproves of my wearing a skirt. The other was an on duty cashier that also doesn’t like my wearing a skirt (she isn’t too keen on thigh boots either) who continued a conversation with someone else while she rang up my sale. Oh well, some days are better than others.

A problem I have noticed with these long knit skirts is that they cling to hose. Most leather skirts have a built in lining and my other cloth skirt is knee length and made of a smooth material that does not cling. It never occurred to me that I would soon be shopping for a slip.

Tightlevisandhhboots –

I don’t appreciate the look of the short boots with a skirt. I think the boots should be at least knee high. I get by wearing my granny boots only with a long (ankle length) skirt. With the knee length skirt I wear my thigh boots either full length or cuffed down to knee length.

Skirted-UK -

Two months ago I never would have believed I would be participating in this conversation about experiences wearing a skirt. I’m still not sure I believe it.

A problem I have noticed with these long knit skirts is that they cling to hose. Most leather skirts have a built in lining and my other cloth skirt is knee length and made of a smooth material that does not cling. It never occurred to me that I would soon be shopping for a slip.

Well, live long enough and just about anything will happen! I'd like to help, but I'm kinda clueless when it comes to lingerie.

;)

Two months ago I never would have believed I would be participating in this conversation about experiences wearing a skirt. I’m still not sure I believe it.

Perhaps you're following down the same sort of road I once traveled with my heels, going from ugly, stack heeled loafers all the way up to five inch heeled pumps. In other words----you're evolving! You've discovered a brand new aspect of the passion you enjoy and you're experiencing it to the hilt. Suddenly, you've found that you've come to love wearing a skirt and want to enjoy that feeling as much and as often as you can, just like I fell in love with pumps and wanted to wear nothing else. Don't try to psychoanalyze those feelings you have, just go with the flow and enjoy yourself!

:lol: