Granny Boots in Public

Thighbootguy

I would like to know what granny boots are, I am thinking the style the ladies wore in victorian times, like a boot with fancy type stiching or am I totally wrong?

Basically it's a close fitting lace-up ankle boot.

Shafted, the boots that is! View my gallery here http://www.hhplace.o...afteds-gallery/ or view my heeling thread here http://www.hhplace.org/topic/3850-new-pair-of-boots-starts-me-serious-street-heeling/ - Pm me if you want fashion advice or just need someone to talk to.

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I would like to know what granny boots are, I am thinking the style the ladies wore in victorian times, like a boot with fancy type stiching or am I totally wrong?

Take a look at the first post in this thread.

I dream of a world where chickens can cross roads without having their motives questioned.

• 4 weeks later...

I stopped at the Good Will a week or so ago and bought a short knit sleeveless dress with a very loose turtleneck and a high waisted wide belt. I was surprised how well it looked with black leggings. I paired the combination with my black leather granny boots with 3½” stilettos, a black wool blazer, and long strap black leather purse and headed out to do some shopping. The first stop was for some cat foot at a Petco had used many times. It seems there has been a turnover of the staff and I recognized no one. They were surprised but courteous and treated me like a regular customer. The last stop was Sam’s. I took my time selecting my stuff. I didn’t notice much attention from other customers as I wandered around. At the register the clerk who knows me offered a complement that the outfit looked nice. Sam’s also has a pay at the pump gas station and I went over and filled up the car. The outfit was physically very comfortable, and I was surprised at how mentally comfortable I was wearing it. Being a knit dress, it did show my body shape so I made an effort to keep my stomach looking trim. All in all it was a fun outing. :wavey:

I dream of a world where chickens can cross roads without having their motives questioned.

That sounds like a cool look TBG. What colour is the dress? How long is it? I'm reluctant to leave my arms bare but I guess you wore a blazer so that issue didn't come up for you. I have a long-sleeve capuccino coloured chunky knit-dress that I have worn (with a blue denim jacket, chocolate brown leggings and brown knee boots with a 3½" heel). I also have a grey short-sleeve knit dress, again quite chunky and casual looking, which I think I could wear over a plain black long-sleeve top, with black leggings and knee boots. Both dresses are short enough that I wouldn't wear them without leggings. I know what you mean about outfits being much more revealing of body shape, I find that a really motivating thought for doing regular exercise. I don't think I'd be so bothered if I didn't wear heels, they make me feel much more conscious of feeling good about my body shape.

If you like it, wear it.

SleekHeels: Leaving my arms bare when wearing a short sleeved dress wouldn't bother me, but layering it with a long sleeved turtleneck underneath would make for a good look I think. And I would probably opt for wearing leggings too, if only because that would look sharp. I don't own any granny boots myself, but TBG's recent outing in his gives me an idea or two for something new to buy. Heh!

I don't want to LOOK like a woman, I just want to DRESS like a woman!

• 11 months later...

I went to the grocery early Sunday morning for a few things.  I decided to push the look a little farther.  I wore a red scoop neck top with open sleeves over a white turtleneck, a short black skirt, black hose, and my granny boots with 4" stiletto heels.  I also wore light makeup.  I was thinking of wearing a pair of OTK boots, but I hadn't worn the granny boots for a long time so they won out.

Surprisingly, I didn’t get too many looks in the store even though I took my time and wandered around a bit.  At the checkout, I had the same clerk I have gotten several times before.  She (older lady) commented that I looked really nice this morning.  The comment caught me completely off guard since I actually thought I was pushing the look a little too far.  I thanked her for the comment, and I think she really meant it.

I did stop at a local park for a picture.

post-530-0-46757800-1384274302_thumb.jpg

:wavey:

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...

I've just spent the past two days wearing my granny boots (see post #1 for a picture) with black leggings and a black leather knee length skirt..  I wore several black tops, and a black cloth blazer.  I went to several stores and a couple of walks around the neighbourhood.

In previous posts in the thighboots in public thread, I mentioned I had pulled a couple of tendons loose in my left arm.  I had surgery to reattach the tendons two weeks ago and it went well.  I am now wearing a brace on my left arm to prevent me from straightening my arm.  The bottom line is I can only put my right arm in the blazer and the left is sort of covered by wrapping the blazer around it.  The other result is I get asked a lot about what I did to my arm.  All the clerks that know me have asked, but folks I don't know at all have asked, regardless that I was wearing a skirt and granny boots.

It has just been the past couple of days that I have gotten enough flexibility in my left arm to play guitar.  The issue is just sore muscles that got pushed around during the operation.

:wavey:

OUCH, TBG!

Best wishes for a full and speedy recovery and getting back to playing guitar as well as before if not better!

Steve

I echo that sentiment!

I don't want to LOOK like a woman, I just want to DRESS like a woman!

Guys;

Thanks for the concerns.  I was out shopping at several stores today in knee high fabric boots and a leather skirt.  I took a sympathy picture.

post-530-0-03328900-1396632798_thumb.jpg

I agree Witherspoon dww, but They shouldn't have zippers!

As for the zipper rather than lacing them up and using the speed hooks…  The speed hooks made the zipper almost useless.  As soon as you unzipped them the laces fell out of the speed hooks.  I ran the laces through the eyelet of the speed hook so the hook isn’t used and the boots lace all the way up.  This makes the zipper almost essential, and I appreciate the convience.

• 5 weeks later...

I have recently (past 2 years) badly wanted a good pair of the granny boots that were all the rage in the early 70's.  The ones with a squarish toe about a three inch stacked heel, which had a kind of taper towards the bottom and long laces which you tied at the top of the boots with a big bow and the laces would hang and flop around down the shaft of the boots.  I had a pair of these in the most popular autumn brown suede (I rather call it "Tobacco Brown".  They were soooo comfortable, and looked hot.  I loved the tight fitting ankle, and over some time, they just took on that good looking broken in look with the suede leather wrinkling around the ankle.

God...I wish I still had mine now.  I've watched on E-bay and googled for any hits on-line to no avail. Boo Hooo!