Granny Boots in Public

Thighbootguy

JeffB:-) Looking forward to your report on the lace-up, zip-up granny boots after you get them. Then I can decide whether to stick with my attitude on lacing or zipping or not. Cheers--- Dawn HH

High Heeled Boots Forever!

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Shafted

ShockQueen

I did solve the problem of the laces falling out of the speed hooks when I put the boots on or take them off. I noticed the hooks had a hole like eyelets did so I laced the boots by running the lace through the hole in the speed hooks. The trick is to start the lace through the hole then use needle nose pliers to reach under the hook to pull the lace through the hole.

I dream of a world where chickens can cross roads without having their motives questioned.

• 4 weeks later...

tightlevisandhhboots -

The pair I have are a little tighter in the toe than my thigh boots but not uncomfortable. Both are size 14. I can wear my granny boots for a long time without discomfort.

I really do like the look of the granny boots outside tight jeans.

I dream of a world where chickens can cross roads without having their motives questioned.

• 1 month later...

Yesterday I had to go to the bank before I went to work. The bank branch is in downtown Covington. I got there at 8:30 thinking the drive in window would be open but the bank had changed its hours to open at 9:00. That left me with half an hour to kill. I decided to just walk around town a bit. Downtown Covington is almost deserted by businesses and I thought wearing my thigh boots with heels would be too much for the denizens of a deserted downtown to accept so I put on my granny boots Posted Image

and wore them under my slacks. The pointed toe and full heel were clearly visible, and the new heel tips felt great.

I walked for several blocks and only got a couple of looks. When I got back to the bank there was a group of people just going in (heaven forbid that the bank should be open when the customers wanted it). I got into the “wait for the next free teller queue” in the middle of the lobby.

I overheard an older guy (upper 70s) telling one of the tellers, “I saw a guy with a ponytail wearing high heels”. I don’t know if it was the ponytail or the heels that he was concerned about but as luck would have it I was next in the queue when he left so I got the same teller (female, early 30s).

After I finished my business I said, “I think I’m the guy he was worried about”.

“But your not wearing high heels”.

“Oh yeah, I am”, and I stepped back from the counter and went out the door. She had a very perplexed look on her face.

I nodded to her as I walked passed the drive in window but she was too busy to notice.

I have worn my granny boots in other branches of the same bank without being noticed or commented upon but I thought this trip was worth sharing.

Seems like the man in the bank was more aware and concerned about you and your heels than the employees, who are trained to take note of customer's appearances for security reasons, are. Tells you alot of their thoughts of a man wearing high heels robbing them, doesn't it? ;)

Being mentally comfortable in your own mind is the key to wearing heels in public.

Thighbootguy, Was was that guy thinking? Who in their right mind would try to rob a bank while wearing high heels. Guess we can't count him high on the intellegence scale.

Shafted, the boots that is! View my gallery here http://www.hhplace.o...afteds-gallery/ or view my heeling thread here http://www.hhplace.org/topic/3850-new-pair-of-boots-starts-me-serious-street-heeling/ - Pm me if you want fashion advice or just need someone to talk to.

Shafted:-) If a man wore heels to rob a bank, he should be able to run quickly in them, otherwise we could put him into the "too stupid to live" catagory. There we go, pidgeon-holing people again. Thighbootguy:-) I haven't ever owned a pair of granny boots yet, but you seem to be enjoying yours tremendously. Maybe I should check into them a little closer to see if I can find the right style and height heel for me in them. Cheers--- Dawn HH

Most of the models of Granny Boots I've seen have heels between 3 and 4" high. And, I really don't like that style. They're too old fashioned looking for my taste.

Being mentally comfortable in your own mind is the key to wearing heels in public.

On this morning’s grocery shopping trip I wore my new Rem Garson leather slacks, a long sleeved black turtle neck, and my black granny boots.

Posted Image

The slacks, although tight fitting, are very comfortable and I am able to sit and walk easily in them and there are no unseemly bulges. I wore the tail of the turtle neck in the waste of the slacks.

No one even batted an eye in the grocery. When I finished at the checkout I said, ”I wore something a little different today”. Normally I wear black thigh boots with 4” stiletto heels into the store each morning.

The clerk replied, “Yes ... I noticed, different is good”.

I really think this clerk doesn’t like my thigh boots and was glad I was wearing anything else.

I thought the outfit looked good. The slacks come down to abort 1/2” above the top of the heel so that all but the shaft of the granny boots are visible. The black shirt and the black boots balanced nicely around the slacks.

JeffB – Thanks for the suggestion of the black turtle neck with these slacks.

Thighbootguy:-) That outfit sounds like a good combination to wear. Either the checkout girl doesn't like you in thighboots or she may have been relieved to see you in a different outfit with a different look. Cheers--- Dawn HH

• 4 months later...

This morning was a brisk 23F (-5C) and that had some influence on my choosing to wear a long sleeved light blue dress shirt over a black turtleneck, black leather slacks (no pockets) and my granny boots worn over the slacks cuffs. I hadn’t worn these slacks for a long time and I have worn them with my thigh boots but the granny boots give the outfit a different look than the thigh boots do. On my morning grocery stop I walked around a bit and talked to several of the clerks. The lady at the register was the one that really didn’t approve of my boots and skirt and she noticed I had on something different this morning. I didn’t get a chance to ask her what she thought but she was very nice and courteous (as always). My office is a little chilly when it gets this brisk so I decided to leave these leather slack on under my dress pants. They aren’t quite as comfortable as my favorite black leather skirt but they do feel and look good. I also think a guy in leather slack is not as threatening to other folks as a guy in a leather skirt. I’ll have to wear these slacks again soon.

• 6 years later...

Its has been a long time since I posted to this thread (Thanks Shafted for unlocking it) but it has also been a long time since I've worn my granny boots. I had an outing last night where I wore my black granny boots with 3” stilettos under my brown slacks. I don’t think anyone noticed them because I was also wearing a white satin blouse, a black leather vest and black leather 16 button length (over the elbow) gloves and they kind of overpowered everything else. I stopped at a large Kroger supermarket to get a 6 pack of beer, and at Sam’s for a few other items. I can’t say nobody noticed, but I can say nobody seemed to paid any attention or care. There was one exception, at Sam’s I was in the register line behind a young black mother, who has several youngens with her. One of the little girls looked up at me with a stern look on her face and just kept looking for several minutes until she had to leave with her mom. I’m not sure if she was trying to process what she was seeing or just didn’t like it. I don't think her mom even noticed me and the little girl didnt say a thing. I did get a nice smile from both the Sam's and Kroger's register clerks though. When I got home I changed the slacks for a leather skirt and leggings, made a big batch of popcorn, settled into a comfortable chair with popcorn and beer at hand and watched the Vice Presidential debate (which was more fun than the Red's loosing in the playoffs with two runners on base, the winning run at the plate with two outs in the ninth inning). I’m planning another outing tonight with the granny boots, leggings and a skirt.

After work I pulled on a pair of leggings, a black below the knee leather skirt, white satin blouse, a black leather vest, black leather granny boots with 3½” stilettos, and black leather 23 button (shoulder length) gloves. These gloves are most comfortable worn over a satin sleeve because they are almost impossible to get off when worn over bare skin and there is any perspiration. I was also wearing dark prescription sun glasses. The sun glasses were significant in that they prevented eye contact with others and others with me. No eye contact seems to make it easier for others to tolerate/ignore/bypass someone dresses as I was. It also gives me a level of isolation if I want it. My first stop was at Perco for some catfood. The gal that really liked my thigh boots was not on duty and I did not recognize the other staff members (new clerks). After a quick second take, I was treated like any other customer with greetings and smiles. The next stop was Sam’s where I browsed around for a while. After I selected my stuff I headed for the checkout lines and they were untypically long. I wasn’t in a hurry; in fact I like the excuse for just standing around. One guy, passing by, even started a conversation about the long lines before it sunk in that I was a guy then he wandered away. I headed home and put the frozen and refrigerated item away then quickly headed out to the nail salon and I got there 15 minutes before they closed for the evening. I walked in and signed up then sat down and started reading a magazine, still wearing my gloves. The staff all know me and called greetings from all over the shop. I’m not sure the other patrons knew what to make of it. I had three nails filled in and one replaced (built in guitar picks). Finishing my nails goes counter to all the training this staff has because I don’t want them to file or reshape the tips at all. They are amused when I tell them I keep a nail file in my guitar case. Anyway it was a fun outing, and yeah I know the long gloves push things over the top but I seem to enjoy that. :wavey:

I just got back from another outing wearing granny boots with 3½“ stilettos. I wore them with black leggings, a short black leather skirt, a black leather vest and a white satin blouse. I needed to go back to Sam’s for a couple of things. I wandered around the store, taking my time just to enjoy myself. At the checkout there were several long lines but a new clerk came up to me and said, “I can take you on register one.” When I got there one of the other clerks that knew me introduced me to the new clerk as, “a regular and a really nice guy.” I was flattered. I headed out to my car and loaded my stuff in the back. I then headed for a nearby Goodwill. Before I went in I pulled on my 23 button length gloves. When I walked in one of the clerks (cute blond) threw me a nice greeting and smile. I shopped around for a while and tried on a pair of size 11 boots but alas my toe touched the front of the boot and they would have been way too uncomfortable to wear. I did find a nice pair of tan slack and a pair of pilsner glasses. The same cute blond was running the register. After she rang up my stuff I asked, “What would you wear these with (and indicated my gloves)?” “I don’t know… you have to coordinate leather, especially the color.” “Well that’s easier if everything is black.” “Yeah… are they comfortable?” “Oh yeah, very comfortable.” “If I wore them I perspire too much.” “That’s why I wear them over this blouse. If I perspire I can’t get them off.” We bid each other a good afternoon and she went on to the next guy in line. All in all an enjoyable outing. :wavey:

I went out with my granny boots with 3½” stilettos and shoulder length black leather gloves again. I was wearing tan slacks, a white satin blouse, and a black leather vest with a long strap black leather purse. The white satin is a strong contrast with the black leather but it also gives a nice balance. I stopped at Sam’s and was greeted by the staff with comments like, “You’ve been here each day this week,” and in general smiles and waves. I needed to restock on wine and beer. When I got to the registers one of the clerks called me over to her register (which was open) and she offered to get me a cart, which I accepted. I had been wandering around the store without a cart (nothing to hide behind). The next stop was the nearby Goodwill. I didn’t need anything and just wanted to be out for a little longer. It turns out they were having a “50% off everything in the store” sale. Both the front and back parking lots were full as was the store. I found a spot in the back of the back lot and got to walk a block on the sidewalk to the store. I wandered around the store for a while and complemented an older black lady on the heels she was wearing. She thanked me and offered they were very comfortable. I font think she noticed my boots. I found another white satin blouse, another pair of slacks, and a cute kitty coffee cup. There were long lines at the registers. While I was in line the same lady showed me a stole she found and I said it would look great on her. She thanked me for the comment. I walked back out to my car and headed home. When I was wearing thigh boots all the time I got very used to the way I looked in them. I am starting the get the same comfort level with the long gloves but it has taken an effort to attain that comfort level. I have referred to thigh boots as opera gloves for the feet. All in all a fun outing. :wavey:

Your thread just reminded me that I need to visit the hardware store to pick up a package of 4 small padlocks for my Ellie 5 inch stiletto granny boots with double padlocking ankle cuffs. I just might put some mileage on those this winter.

Shafted, the boots that is! View my gallery here http://www.hhplace.o...afteds-gallery/ or view my heeling thread here http://www.hhplace.org/topic/3850-new-pair-of-boots-starts-me-serious-street-heeling/ - Pm me if you want fashion advice or just need someone to talk to.

Your thread just reminded me that I need to visit the hardware store to pick up a package of 4 small padlocks for my Ellie 5 inch stiletto granny boots with double padlocking ankle cuffs. I just might put some mileage on those this winter.

PICTURES PLEASE!

-ILK

REPEATEDLY ARGUMENTATIVE, INSULTING AND RUDE. BANNED FOR LIFE.

PICTURES PLEASE!

-ILK

I'll make sure I get some next time I wear them.

You know what's real funny? You never see women wearing stiletto granny boots. Could that be the domain of just us guys?

You know what's real funny? You never see women wearing stiletto granny boots. Could that be the domain of just us guys?

Well, I did see a young woman wearing a pair yesterday afternoon. They were black, but the heels weren't too high, maybe three inches tops. I seem to remember owning a pair once, but that was a long time ago.

I don't want to LOOK like a woman, I just want to DRESS like a woman!

I saw a lady wearing a black pair with black leggings at Sam's a couple of month ago. I remember saying to myself,"Self, you've got a pair of those (shoes and leggings)." That's probably what go me thinking about them again.

When I got them they were a little too snug but they are becomming more comfortable with wear and looser lacing.

I've always admired the look of the granny boots. I'm looking at a pair right now that has a 5" stiletto high heel. I have an Aunt who used to wear them, back in the 60's, if you can imagine. She had several different colors and materials of her boots.

I had some time off from work this afternoon and ran a few errands. I was out and about wearing a bright red cotton T-shirt, black leggings, a short black leather skirt, and black leather granny boots with 3½“ stilettos. The first stop was the plumbing department at Lowe’s hardware (warehouse hardware chain). I wandered around until I found someone to help me. I’m not sure if the guy was put off having to help a guy in a skirt and stilettos or if he was just busy; either way he was helpful then gone. No one else seemed to take notice and the gal at the register seemed to go out of her way to be nice. The next stop was a cobbler to get heel tips and toe plates put on a pair of thigh boots. The guys running the shop have seen me several times before so there was no surprise. He told me the boots would be ready in an hour and a half so I had some time on my hands. Sam’s is in the area so I headed over to get a few things. I really took my time wandering around. The next stop was a Goodwill and again I took my time wandering around. There was a lady trying on a leather jacket and I suggested two others that were on the rack. She seemed to appreciate the suggestion. I found of, all things, a stainless stock pot that was in new condition. They are always handy to have in the kitchen. I finally made it back to the cobbler and sat down in the waiting area. They were just finishing my boots. He pointed out a spot near the sole where he had applied a little glue to close a small gap. The boots have already been resoled and they were showing wear. He commented that I had just about worn these boots out. I took it as a complement. :wavey:

I'm just surprised TBG that you waited for fall to get back into your granny boots. I would think they are much more suited to summer than thigh boots.

I would like to know what granny boots are, I am thinking the style the ladies wore in victorian times, like a boot with fancy type stiching or am I totally wrong?

life is not a rehearsal