Buying shoes in shoe stores

docs41

Spikes:-) Welcome to the Forum, and congrats on a great story. Payless in my area don't seem to carry heels so I kind of gave up looking there. I much rather prefer leather heels and most of Payless shoes are man-made materials. HeeledMarc:-) I, like you, love heels also and have been wearing them for decades. Cheers--- Dawn HH

High Heeled Boots Forever!

• Replies 145
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Everything you say about Payless is true. The clerks are very friendly, but finding a pair of heels among their selection is almost impossible. The shoes are not that well made either. On this particular trip to Payless, there were only two pair of heels in my size (size 10), the white boots I told you about and a pair of pink tennis shoe type boots with a 4 inch heel and rounded toe. I couldn't imagine myself in them, so I didn't try them on. I have had more success lately with the discounters like Burlington Coat Factory, Ross and TJ MAXX. They seem to have sexier styles and large sizes. In fact, all of the display shoes at Burlington are Size 10's. Are they doing this just for us or what? :) Burlington also has some great knee high boots with the very skinny heels....and they are very cheap, in the $20-$35 range.

Looking to share my fetish with like-minded individuals. I love to wear classic opera pumps in public with 4-5 inch stiletto heels.

I stopped in our local Goodwill (thrift store) at lunch today. They had a pair of Nine West flat heel, round toe, suede, knee high, lace up boots for $15 that looked like they might fit me (couldn’t find a size marking). A year ago I would have bought them and tried them on in the car but today I just tried them on, and laced them up. :) My definition of fit has changed too. It used to be, “my foot went in”, now the shoes/boots have to be comfortable. Unfortunately, this pair of boots crushed my toes so I put them back. One size larger and they would have been great.. Trying them on was a lot of fun, and saved me $15. Wish they would have fit. :o

I dream of a world where chickens can cross roads without having their motives questioned.

My definition of fit has changed too. It used to be, “my foot went in”, now the shoes/boots have to be comfortable. :)

I am with you on this,

a while ago I would have concidered a pair if my foot went in, now I find myself holding back and waiting for the right style in the right size.

There are a nice pair of knee boots in Asda (walmart) that are very snug 8, but I am looking around the other shops at the moment for a similar pair (blade heel, flat toe) that Ifit better so that I could walk a mile or two in them.

As for the subject of this thread, the Asda boots are hung up in the middle of the womans section, I just took them off the rack and tried them on, my wife was with me and she can vouch that nobody even looked at me.

As for the ther boots I like, I have to find them in a 9 or 10 to try on, but I know the store sells those sizes so I will have to trawl through all the shops in the outh and west of England.

The angels have the phonebox.

• 2 weeks later...

Hello everyone , I just thought I would add some of my experiances about shoe stores and stuff. I Find a lot of great shoes at burlington myself and find the young girls there seem to be totaly cool with guys buying heels. One thing I will say is the word is out on burlington ... you have to get there at just the right time to find your size unless your a seven or something. I wear a 10. I try them on sometimes , it depends on the shoe. I was with a co-worker once and we were trying on a bunch of differant ones (funny ones , wacky colors) and having a blast But I LOVE shoe stores and shoe departments , it's pretty funny now , becuase when I am in a store with my family , my kids will try and keep me away from the shoe section (in a funny way) , they will be like ... oh no , there goes dad again , into the shoes! ... they know how hard it is to get me out of the shoe dept once I am in there. And of course I usualy find something I want. But I am running out of room for my shoes. So it's probably a good thing I don't buy everything I see! I would have no where to sit!

Nigel, If you tell the staff what you need, they can contact other stores, or get someone to look up on the computer which branch has them in stock... same for many other stores too. Saves a lot of travelling.

I've always been quite noncholant about walkign into shops buying boots and shoes be any of it for the girlfriends or for me. I don't feel particularly brave or any more corageous than those of you that aren't so happy to just point out the ones you want and say "I'll have those in an 8 please" as I've never tried them on in a shop and do tend to make out they arent for me if it seems to be heading that way.

I'm a big fan of faith (www.faith.co.uk) and often linger over their boot collections online and then I can see what I like and either print out the picture or the model code and walk into te shop and say my girlfriend wants these can you fetch them please! Kinda like the sterotypical blonde in a car garage.

But last week I went into faith in London and purchased some of these

I was soooo close to trying them on there and then but it was quite busy, and while this wasn't the issue, the sale racks were up and they were all around the area where you would try them on so it would have ended up in a big toe treading session. So from precious experience I knew an 8 would be fine and went ahead and purchased them. £85 of very very nice boot. Took them home and showed the girlfriend, she tried them on but isn't very stable on heels at all and I certainly win in the heel ability stakes. Luckily I'm a size 8 so finding boots is very easy, although I do notice that some of the nicer styles in other shops do fade away at a 5 and a 6.

Ho hum, that's me for now :)

edited for dead photo link

I looked into a branch of Faith soon after Christmas, or early in the New Year. There were about 5 or 6 customers in the store as I went in, and a couple more followed me in. I had hoped to try a few things, and was hoping it would stay quiet. I looked round and another group were already coming in the door. I looked at one rack then realised that the shop was more crowded. Within another 3 minutes there were forty-bloody-eight people in the shop, and it was nose to nose. Not a hope of trying anything on in peace, in a quiet corner; so I left. Maybe another day.

One of the staff in that shop has those same boots, above, wears them to work sometimes, and looks very fine in them.

Jo, good effort, always foiled by the pesky bargain hunters! Dawn, Fit and feel is great, definitely a pair of my favourites. I originally wanted a pair of the Manum 1 boots (these are Magnum 2) but kinda never happened. Wish I had now. still available from some websites but not that bothered I guess now. They were worn out on the way home! couldn't wait :-) Worn them to the girlfriends and also wore them out a bit last night in a couple of shops. Intentions are high to get a bit braver with a slightly more public place tomorrow than the odd newsagents. Will pop into a department store is the plan..... We'll see how the bottle goes. I've done it in some of my boots but not so much in the spike heels as they are quite noisy, but I'm going on it being busy enough for it to be unnoticed. And as we find readign other threads, it's always louder to those wearing them and conscious of them. Pics I'm sure will come soon enough. stll not got an auto camera so will see what I can find. Will ahve to buy one I guess soon!

I firmly believe in the policy that the customer is always right and that shops are there to sell. It's in the mind of the person buying what they think are embarrassing items that holds one back. It took me many years ti pluck up the courage to just go in and buy after all many woman wear men style shoes though these days they are titled 'unisex'. I know ladies boots are a whole new ball game but I have bought 3 pairs in the last month and tried them all on in the shops. I am in my 50s so have even more of a cultural gap if one was needed. Shops I used were Jade, River Island and Barca all at Leeds. Staff were very helpful and understanding. All my boots were knee high with 4" heels and very pointed toes. I take a size 8 which is nice for me. If you go onto my site and look in the files section under 'Street boots' you will see the ones I bought. At the time I was wearing my 5" knee boots with 1\2" platform sole. Most of teh staff commented on how nice my boots looked and how lucky I was to have such slim legs as all the boots I tried fitted me. So the moral of the story is, if you do not ask you do not get. Have fun guys, I did.

My average heel height is 61\2" on size 9 feet

Clicker:-) Thanks for answering all of my questions. Much appreciated. I guess your girlfriend doesn't mind you wearing stiletto heeled, pointy-toed boots. Do you and her ever go out wearing that style of boots together? Cheers--- Dawn HH

Worn them to the girlfriends and also wore them out a bit last night in a couple of shops. Intentions are high to get a bit braver with a slightly more public place tomorrow than the odd newsagents.

Will pop into a department store is the plan..... We'll see how the bottle goes. I've done it in some of my boots but not so much in the spike heels as they are quite noisy, but I'm going on it being busy enough for it to be unnoticed. And as we find readign other threads, it's always louder to those wearing them and conscious of them.

Those are nice boots, Clicker. Seems like you are getting more confident in wearing them. I used to be scared to death to wear stiletto heels, but now I do it regularly. It is definitely a step up from wearing block heels. I am so comfortable with the latter that I don't even cover them anymore with long pants, which I sitll do with spike heels. As long as you can coordinate the look well, you will get good comments, I am sure.

Posted Image

A great story, clicker, AND damn nice boots also! It sounds like you're very comfortable about buying whatever strikes your fancy in stores. Not everyone can be as at ease as you are, but your exploits proves that it can be done! Congrats to you!

I don't want to LOOK like a woman, I just want to DRESS like a woman!

Thanks for all your good comments. So, here's todays story. I left work about 12 ish today and headed for Brent Cross Shopping center in London. It's a bit poor really there for shops but still I knew it was very unlikely I would see anyone I knew. I had a wander round first to check out what was going on and how busy it was. I went back to the car and changed into the boots I recently purchased in the pic above. I decided balls to everything, I'm going in. So I headed for the doors when it was quite quiet and into Fenwick department store. I wandered round, on carpet where I could, and then just made my way around, a bit of hiding my feet behind stands and boxes until the coast was clear, and then accross the wooden floor to the next "safe" spot. Something made me decide to hop on the escalator and head upstairs, so when i got there I lookd for the shoe department and headed over for it. I had a quick look about and got it into my head that if there was something I liked the look of I would try them on, but the boot section was pretty lame. So i then headed back for the car, down the escalator, a few diversions, and towards the door.... as I got there, I realised it was the wrong door.... As I had no idea which door it was I came in through (mind was preoccupied funnily enough) I went out this door and walked around the outside of the building until I came back to my car. I'm sure a few people noticed as my jeans certainly didn't cover up any of the heel, and they steel tips make a fair old click. but no real looks towards me and certianly no comments I overheard. They may well have been pointing and staring when my back was to them but sod em all. These boots are pretty full on and if I can manage it in these, then some of my less noisy, less spiky, less pointy boots I'm pretty sure I could venture out of the department store and into the main shopping area. I can see me visiting there again very soon! Dawn, The GF certainly doesn't mind me wearing them, she finds it a bit funny and a bit wierd but she accepts it. She isn't comfortable about coming out with me wearing them though. She isn't too good herself on the high heels with stability but I'm starting to train her up, also she has a bit of a dodgy leg and that doesn't help matters. However it does help that we have much the same tastes so she can always wear mine if she wants. She doesn't know quite how many I have though, I think she is aware of two and suspects I have more, but I haven't mentioned that I have about 20 pairs.... slowly does it :-) Anyway some of those need to go to harity shops or something as I don't wear a good few of them now, just seems such a shame!

Not hard at all, if you see a pair you like, tell the clerk they are for your wife or girl friend. Beening doin it for years. Ocassionally tell them we wear the same size and ask if I can try on in back room. Works!! The internet is good too. Bought many that way. My Nine West mocs came off their site. Keep buying them, you will love it!! I KNOW I DO!!

Hi gang! I just got back from a lunch-time shopping trip to my local Kohl's - I picked up a pair of boots - Diba "Fire" - they have a 3 3/4" blade heel on a 1/2" platform. The toe is fairly narrow, but is squared off on the end. The shaft ends just below the knee. The best part: they were on sale: marked down from $69.99 to $17.48! Can't afford NOT to get them - especially when they had my size (11M). Trying them on was no big deal - I sat down on the bench at the end of the aisle, removed the boots I was wearing, and zipped up the new ones. Then I took a stroll up and down the aisle. They fit like a glove. As I was replacing them in the box another customer came by looking at some other boots - she saw me zipping up my boots and replacing the new ones in the box and didn't give any indication that anything was out of the ordinary. Same thing at the checkout - if you're not familiar with Kohl's their checkout is at the front of the store - the clerk (a guy) scanned the box, and a message came up on the terminal to verify that the shoes are the correct size. He opened the box, examined both boots to make sure they were both size 11 and replaced them in the box. I handed him a $20 bill and got back the change (How often does THAT happen :) ) - again just another transaction for him - nothing out of the ordinary. For all you out there who are apprehensive about shopping locally: it's a non-issue! As the ads say: "Just do it!" Aly

Wealth is not measured by how much you have, but rather how little you need.

Aly:-) That sure is a great boot bargain that you got at Kohl's. I'll be at work tomorrow, but Mickey will be out with the wagon doing her chores and maybe I can con her into going to Kohl's to see if they have any boot bargains there that would fit me. Cheers--- Dawn HH

Not hard at all, if you see a pair you like, tell the clerk they are for your wife or girl friend. Beening doin it for years. Ocassionally tell them we wear the same size and ask if I can try on in back room.

If it makes you more comfortable, but you're not fooling them. They know you're buying for yourself.

Chris

I went looking at my local neighborhood Payless store. It seems as though, they have expanded the selection in sizes 13-15 for men - at the expense of the women's 13! :x And on top of that, most of the shoes were flat, work-like shoes. I wish I'd had time to run to another store, because that was borderline tragic. :)

Danielle, Have you tried the womens 12, they fit me just fine and i should be wearing a womans 14, payless is one of my favorite stores especially sine they carry the current styles at the absolute best prices.

I hope that my wife asks me if i'm giong to wear those 4 inch leg wrap sandals that i bought from NIKE. Just a wish for the men in the world like us.

Women's 12s only fit me in wide widths, with the exception of their sandals. This particular day, I was feeling like high heels, since my last purchase was two pairs of sandals. Nothing in either size range appeased to me....

Update: Went to another Payless not too far away. I didn't have the time I wanted to browse, but I got some heels on sale. And they threw in some dress socks that are so thin, they feel EXACTLY like hose. Pictures forthcoming; my collection is growing :) I might make an encore trip to this store tomorrow to actually look around some more