Buying shoes in shoe stores

docs41

• Replies 145
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 4 weeks later...

I think it is interesting that older clerks are less likely to "pass judgement" on a guy buying "women's" shoes. Perhaps a mark of maturity, that by an older age people have learned that money is "green" regardless of whose pocket it is coming from, another point made here.

I've experienced quite the contrary...

Just a week ago I went out looking for shoes. The sales clerk (must've been in her mid-30s) at the first store where I went, sneered at me as I checked the top racks and said "Those are sandals up there, you know." As I continued to browse for shoes, she continued to watch my every move, either worried that something was wrong with me or that I'd steal all their shoes. Since she wanted to watch, I figured I'd put on a show - by donning some 3" black boots and doing all my shopping. Though I saw over $50 worth of stuff I wanted, I bought nothing because I didn't feel wanted there.

The next store I went to, the sales girl must have been under 21, but when I asked her for a pair of 3.5" pumps in a wide width, she went to the back and checked without a second thought. Didn't have what I wanted, but I felt secure there, so I bought some wedges and thong sandals. The whole time she never wavered and was very friendly, I wish all the sales clerks would be like her.

Great stories! I've always had good experiences in Nine West stores. All the youngish lady sales people have always been totally accepting and even (gasp!) encouraging. At a store in suburban Pittsburgh I had a salesgirl who always greeted me by name, and would bring shoes she thought I would like as well as the ones I asked for. She got all my business - it was just so cool.

Would that I wasn't a size 12 or Nine West would get some of my business in a store. Now that Nine West has size 12, but only on their website, I decided to ask if by chance they had any 12s in the closest store. I walked in and asked the clerk (the usual youngish women) if they had any 12s and without hesitating she told me that the size was available at ninewest.com; and then she said "We do have one pair of 12s. I don't know how they got here or why they are here. It won't take a second to get them." She went to the back and returned pulling the boots out for my approval. Unfortunately, they were not attractive (not quite Uggs, but headed that direction) and that was the end of that. I could just feel her leading up to "Do you want to try them on?", but my lack of interest stopped her. Oh well, just another day in the hard life of a size 12. I had on a pair of 3" heel shoes at the time, so there was no doubt as to who they were far.

Go gently through life.

I think of regional managers would know how some sales people treat their customers, they would be fired on the spot. There is nothing as unappealing as running into those totally uninterested sales people that spend their time yacking on the phone and don't even bother to ask if they can help find you anything.

In the UK, Debenhams has a positive policy for helping men buying female items for themselves, as does Marks and Spencer. I am informed that larger stores are also accomodating in trying on items before purchase.

...in Elizabeth, NJ, while wearing my women's 2" heel boots, went shopping for same style; more of a platform / more insulated. This was at a "family run" store, in Elizabeth ( two older men; one older woman ) . They didn't have much to offer in boots. They had a 3" heel boot, not in size 10 though. The staff were OK; didn't care if I wore men's or women's. As long as the shoe fits, and I can walk safely. I need *maximum* 2.5" heel; 2" preferred. A 2" heel doesn't cause that much reaction, re: the FFOYF (Falling Flat on Your Face) factor. Best regards,

/signed/ Joe in North-east New Jersey USA ///

I've only bought my high heels from either the net or mail order. I have bought ballet shoes in person, though that took some nerve. I admire you guys who can go into a shop and try on shoes. I just don't have the courage. Out of interest, do you wear tights / stockings in readiness of trying on the shoes? There are times I really wish I had the nerve to try!!

It's my opinion, no more, no less :wave:

I wear microfiber socks (not nearly as thick as cotton, but not quite as thin as hose) if I know I'm going shopping for boots or other closed-toe shoes that would be aided by me wearing hose. If I'm shopping for sandals I'll usually wear my boring male Birkenstock clogs for easy in and out, making sure that my feet are extraextra clean because I'll be trying on lots of open shoes. Now that I own some women's shoes, I'm contemplating retiring the Birkenstocks (at least for this purpose anyway!) in favor of my moderate wedges.

There was one shop, where I thought the manager was a bit fierce, and the assistant very young, so I didn't buy anything there in the last year or two. I now find out that they have several regular male customers who buy heels there (happened to see one, when I went past the door the other day), and that they are completely fine with it. As Nike said: "Just Do It"

I've only bought my high heels from either the net or mail order. I have bought ballet shoes in person, though that took some nerve. I admire you guys who can go into a shop and try on shoes. I just don't have the courage. Out of interest, do you wear tights / stockings in readiness of trying on the shoes?

There are times I really wish I had the nerve to try!!

I always the thin nylon socks so that i can easily slide in boots. I almost always wear some kind of women's shoe when going shopping for shoes. In summer I wear sandals with no socks. If you are trying on closed shoes you can always ask for a pair of the socks they have in the store.

I wear a different pair of heeled shoes or boots each day and today Mickey and I continued our Christmas shopping that we had been doing yesterday and of course I had one of my pairs of heeled boots on under my ladies boot-cut jeans. We were at the Mall and decided to check out the shoe department in one of our main department stores. Mickey was checking out heeled boots for me as I am relaxing with our packages in one of the chairs when a young woman sat down beside me with 2 boxes of shoes to try on. The policy of the store is to NOT to try on with bare feet and they will supply you with nylon footies. This gal sat wih her back partially towards me, took off her boot and sock and tried these shoes on in her bare feet. Her feet were nice and clean looking with red painted nails and looked well kept. But who knows if she had any foot deseases or not and could transfer them to the next person trying on the same pairs of shoes. After quickly looking in the mirror, deciding not to purchase, she put her sock and boot on and clicked her way off quickly, leaving the shoes back in the box and on the chair seat. I didn't say anything to her and was probably the only one that knew that she had tried them on in her bare feet. Cheers--- Dawn HH

High Heeled Boots Forever!

Yeah it's a health code violation .... clearly posted down here. another reason I make sure to keep my feet very very clean, because trying on sandals with nylon footies on is kinda... odd

ahh okay. that's super gross, I hope I never witness that firsthand. Wait, that reminds me, I sorta did... Payless either took back a pair of clear size 11 pumps (thank heavens I couldn't fit them) or someone with ultradirty feet tried them on, but I didn't see the culprit who ruined some nice shoes

Many of the shops who sell high heels have nylon "booties" (or whatever they are called) or knee highs that you can put on to try the shoes or boots. Part of the cost of doing business.

BobHH:-) Around my area they call them "Footies", and all you have to do is ask for a pair and you can try on all the shoes and boots you want and everyone is safe from catching anything from someone else who is careless. Cheers--- Dawn HH

I have more than once gone to Frederick's of Hollywood on Hollywood Blvd. to purchase heels for myself. I wear sheer knee his with loafers. And I have always been able to try on the shoes in the store. No problem. And sometimes I'm not the only guy trying on heels.

Sheerest1:-) Let me be the first to welcome you to the High Heel Place Forum. Wearing a pair of knee-hi's to try on shoes at Frederick's of Hollywood is the right thing to do. They probably have sold more pairs of heels to guys than to gals over the time that they have been in business. Cheers--- Dawn HH

Frederick's offers those footies or anklets for trying on shoes. They have a big box of them on the shoe counter. I have only encountered one other male in the shoe section (and not many in the whole store) in the times I have gone there. They are quite cool about selling you shoes and trying them on. And, their prices can't be beat - lower than their web site, usually, and a better selection.

Hi all, just a quick share of one of my last heel purchase. The shop had some mules and platforms in the window, far too feminine for myself, but tempting for a present for my wife. The only salesman was in his 40's and was looking good, asking if I was looking for something. I answered that I was just having a look. Then suddenly, I found a pair of clogs with a 4" square heel that I found great :oops: . I asked the guy if he got them in 41 (european size). He came back with the pair and asked if it was for a present. I boldly answered that in fact it was for me. He then proposed me to try them, saying that it was very rare that men were wearing women shoes. I told him that I was wearing heeled shoes regularly, but it was hard to find some heeled shoes that a man can wear confidently. I was at that time wearing dark pants, white shirts and black socks. I took off my shoes and tried both clogs, walking in front of the mirror confidently. I am used to walk in 4", so that was not a big problem. The salesman confessed that the clogs were looking great and that was not common. :) At that moment, a ladyy came in the shop, but did not even notice I was trying 4" heels. I bought the clogs, and took a pair of wild 6" platform for my wife. I jumped in my car, jumped in my new clogs and went to do some shopping in a nearby mall. :o Once again, wearing 4" heel was a great sensation, and I was feeling quite happy about it. Marc

• 2 weeks later...

Following the advice of many of you, I ventured out last Friday to shop for shoes. It was the first time at wearing heels while shopping for heels, but so many of you suggested that it really was the best way to let the clerks know why you were there. I went into Payless wearing a pair of 3.5 inch black blade heels from Nine West. Payless does not have the sexiest shoes, but the environment seems to be something I can handle, easy to walk directly from your car into the store and not many people. I was pleasantly surprised to find two female sales clerks in the store and no customers. The prettier of the two was doing markdowns in the aisle that had the sizes I was looking for 9.5-10 so she was with me the whole time while I was shopping. I don't think she noticed the heels I was wearing because I had on boot cut jeans that covered most of the heel. She asked if she could help and I told her I was just looking. Then I asked if she had placed all of the sales prices on these shoes and she replied that she was almost finished. I spotted a pair of stiletto heeled ankle boots with about a 4 inch heel and very pointed toe and asked her if these were on sale. She said that they weren't. Then she asked me what style I was looking for and I pulled up my pants leg and said iwas looking for something about this high. The look on her face was priceless. She asked if I'd bought them at Payless and I told her no that I bought them at Burlington and was she familiar with their shoe department. She said her boyfriend worked at Burlington, so that sort of broke the ice. I told her that I liked the stiletto ankle boot not on sale, but the only problem was the color. They were white and I told her it might attract too much attention. She said she knew they came in black and asked me if I wanted her to check with the other stores to see if they had a pair. I said let me try the white ones on first to see how they fit. I put them on and they felt a bit tight across the top of the arch. When I mentioned this to her after walking around in front of her for a couple of minutes, she said that ladies shoes were different from mens and that this would probably be the case with most I tried on. I'm thinking to myself, do I tell her that I know ladies shoes very well, probably own 20 pair and this problem is not common to all ladies shoes? I decide better of it and don't mention it. Anyway, she disappears into the back while I still have on the shoes and a third female clerk who I hadn't seen before follows her out to check me out in the white heels. She smiles and says hello, to which I reply, I like them a lot, but just wish these weren't so tight across the top of the arch. In the end, I didn't buy anything because there were very few that were sexy enough to even consider trying on, but the experience was positive and I spent probably 10 minutes with them in the store. My only regret now, is not milking the scene and engaging them more in conversation. If only I'd asked her to call around for me, it it would have bought me more time in the store with them. Oh well, I hope to get better at it, but it was certainly a rush.

Looking to share my fetish with like-minded individuals. I love to wear classic opera pumps in public with 4-5 inch stiletto heels.

Welcome, Spikes.

Your story sounds a lot like mine. I envy you though, as you wear a much easier size to shop for. And reasons like this...

I spotted a pair of stiletto heeled ankle boots with about a 4 inch heel

which I'd NEVER find in a 12 or 13 :)

Payless employees have always been friendly with me. I've never asked them to call around either, but I'm sure they wouldn't mention that the customer in question is a male. They know a sale is a sale and if they make you feel awkward, your money can be taken elsewhere.

Hope to read more about your endeavors in the future, and that you find those boots in a size and color you like.

Spikes, nice shopping story :) . Depending on the location, but things seem to be easier for men buying heels in shops... It may not be that easy but I am confident we are part of a new fashion addiction. I love heels! :o Marc

Hi Spikes, I also started at Payless (like many other folks on the board). People seemed to get good reactions that that chain. They must be doing something well training their employees You can sort of disappear between the aisles when trying on shoes, and they tend to have larger sizes. It is a great way to build up confidence. Soon, you will be trying on shoes at Nine West and other stores ! I don't buy anymore at Payless as I don't like the plastic shoes, but they do have great bargains.