Buying shoes in shoe stores

docs41

Hi!

It's too bad that Payless & Co. won't ship stuff to foreign countries. I did some research but couldn't find any Payless-Store in Germany. On the contrary, we have 'Deichmann' which is a great resource but shoe sizes usually stop at EU41 or EU42 (if you're lucky). Some of the EU41s sometimes fit my EU43 - but very rarely. So, following this thread, Payless and Burlington seem to be great for our needs as they sell stuff in US ladies 12 (or even bigger). And this is where my problem comes in: I'd actually like to try on shoes in the store but it would be embarrassing if you've already picked the largest size possible for that particular model but it's still not gonna work for your feet while somebody standing next to you notices it. I'd feel a lot better if the attempt to get the shoes on my feet would have been successful and then I'd be able to demonstrate that I can handle those heels. So in case I already fail in putting the shoes on I can actually 'feel' the comments: 'See, pal, those aren't meant for you... Got that?!'. OMG... On the other hand, whenever one particular style worked for me regarding size then no one cared about that and the clerks were very supportive in getting me some more similar styles to try on. Anyway, I believe the thing with the bad comments is only in my mind giving myself a tough time in turn. Thought I would have been more advanced in handling this topic but every now and then I don't feel that confident I'd actually like to be.

BTW, does anyone know who sells shoes/boots of the brand 'jazzberry'? Got a pair of Buffalo-like platform chunky knee leather boots (1" platform, 4.5" heels - see below) from them but through an online-auction. So I don't know where to get another pair in case my present ones wear out. They are quite comfy and I do wear them on a daily base (to work, while shopping...). Any ideas?

CU!

-Mike

-----------------------------------------------------------------------

Posted ImagePosted Image

• Replies 145
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Mickey S.

Jazzberry is a common brand here in the US.

I have seen them in "The Shoe Dept" and I think at "Famous Footwear".

What size do you wear? I think I have a pair or 2 or Jazzberry Boots.

They are probably US womans 11 or maybe 12. I will check.

Gary0618

FLAT SHOES, LIKE FLAT DRINKS, ARE FOR FLAT PEOPLE

I had one of those great shoe shopping days that would never mame me doubt anymore that I want to try on shoes in a store. I went to the Burlington Mall here in Massachusetss and went by Bakers, but they didn't have much. So I walked into the Nine West store as the boots were seriously discounted. After a while a young sales lady came out of the back of the store and right away asked me if I wanted to try something on ! So for those of you guys that think you can fool the sales people saying that they are for your gf, think again. I hadn't even opened my mouth. I had an amazing time. At one point I described the type of boots I was looking for. The girl went to the back for several minutes and came back with seven boxes ! All different models I got to try on. After that there were a few more pairs I noticed that I wanted to try. So I profusely apologized for making her run around so much and she told me not to worry; that this was the most excitement she had had in a slow day. I ended up buying two pairs for a total of only $60. One pair is a pointed boot with a kitten heel. I know some folks on the board aren't that crazy about them, but I have recently decided to broaden my interest in women's shoes outside of the types I used to wear. The other pair are brown stretch boots with a croco pattern. These have a high heel. All in all a great day.

Hi Gary!

What size do you wear? I think I have a pair or 2 or Jazzberry Boots. They are probably US womans 11 or maybe 12. I will check.

Yeah, right, I'm a US ladies 12.

Jazzberry is a common brand here in the US.

Interesting.

I have seen them in "The Shoe Dept" and I think at "Famous Footwear".

Do they have online shops or something else/alike to get in contact with them? I'll Google anyway...

CU!

-Mike

And this is where my problem comes in: I'd actually like to try on shoes in the store but it would be embarrassing if you've already picked the largest size possible for that particular model but it's still not gonna work for your feet while somebody standing next to you notices it

Just imagine when someone is next to you, going through shoe after shoe, and nothing's working for them:

"See there, those actually COME in your size and they STILL don't work for you! HA!"

Of course none of us would actually say such a thing but it helped me fight the demons until I stopped worrying

Believe me, I try really hard to push myself to get through a series of shoes to probe each time I'm in a store. I can hardly keep myself from blushing most of the times. I know this is nuts and might contradict with what I've written somewhere else around here but it's true. Sometimes I'm more confident (that resulted in the stories I put here) sometimes less. Haven't found out yet the root cause. On the other hand I've already been bold enough to go to a gym where the place where shoes are left is right in front of the dojo's entry (I was taking Aikido-lessons back then). The boots (1.5"P/5.5"H) were kinda noisy so they could be heard and seen clearly. The only thing that worked for me that day was that when I was changing shoes before and after the lesson nobody was with me in the change area. And if my memories serve me right I didn't actually care about the whole thing that particular day. As I said before I have no idea why I went for it and didn't give a damn what others may say... CU! -Mike

Nice story Loveheel, it's fun when you get a sales assistant who's all over you. A nice change from those who want to get you out asap. I had a nice time yesterday lunchtime at Faith in Wimbledon where I was looking at the dog end of the sale. Extra 20% off. Not much left, but a lot of larger sized boots, I tried one on and a young male assistant came over and offered to get the pair of anything I wanted, he came back with a brochure of shoes up to size 9. I bought a pair of 4.5" knee boots, and got into a bit of a conversation with him. He said they had a couple of guys who shopped there regularly. He complimented me on my confidence, which pleased me greatly. I said I'm nearly 50 if I can't do what I want now it's a poor show.

Nice story Loveheel, it's fun when you get a sales assistant who's all over you. A nice change from those who want to get you out asap.

I had a nice time yesterday lunchtime at Faith in Wimbledon where I was looking at the dog end of the sale. Extra 20% off. Not much left, but a lot of larger sized boots, I tried one on and a young male assistant came over and offered to get the pair of anything I wanted, he came back with a brochure of shoes up to size 9. I bought a pair of 4.5" knee boots, and got into a bit of a conversation with him. He said they had a couple of guys who shopped there regularly. He complimented me on my confidence, which pleased me greatly. I said I'm nearly 50 if I can't do what I want now it's a poor show.

I have only once shopped in the UK at a Faith store and I remember exactly also getting their brochure for size 9 shoes ! Must be their policy when you ask for larger sizes.

It's kinda funny, but ever since I discovered Sexy Shoes, I don't bother buying shoes in stores, especially since no one carries 13 wide, I buy more stuff online than in person anymore since I can find my size a whole lot easier than in stores. :)

I don't want to LOOK like a woman, I just want to DRESS like a woman!

Yes. Just try finding a 13 wide at a shoe store. Impossible in most cities, I think, and probably inconvenient even if there were such a place. Of course, I have just struck out twice trying to order a size 13 listed on two different web sites. "Out of stock and not available."

Yes. Just try finding a 13 wide at a shoe store. Impossible in most cities, I think, and probably inconvenient even if there were such a place. Of course, I have just struck out twice trying to order a size 13 listed on two different web sites. "Out of stock and not available."

I couldn't agree with you more, Bob. The frustration of not being able to find such a large size when the majority of stores rarely go past size 11 was quite maddening. And what few stores (mainly Payless) that did carry 13 didn't have too terribly much in the way of a large selection. Still don't. That's why I do most of my shopping online these days. Sexy Shoes in particular has been a godsend for me!

I really enjoy the process of browsing for shoes and trying them on in stores. I must be hard when you have a size 13. Here on Boston, there is a store that specializes in large sizes. I have never tried it, but there may be similar stores in other cities.

There are stores here that specialize in large size shoes (Queen Fashions in Metairie runs pretty high in sizes), but the selection tends to be too fetish-y for me (buckles, locks, too many straps, oddly-shaped heels, etc.). When it comes to shoes, I'm into a lot of the same styles as the woman wearing a size 8 is, and that extends (or contracts, depending on your point of view) outside of just 5" or higher heels.

I have in my photobucket, a small sampling of shoes I'd like to see in sizes past US 10:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v330/daniellehh/wishlist1.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v330/daniellehh/wishlist2.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v330/daniellehh/wishlist3.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v330/daniellehh/wishlist4.jpg [i know these go up to a 13, but they're EXPENSIVE]

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v330/daniellehh/wishlist5.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v330/daniellehh/wishlist6.jpg

I have had much better luck buying through catalogs in the comfort of my home and calling the toll free 800 number, than finding anything in stores lately. Of course, that doesn't mean that Mickey and I ignore the stores. On the contrary, we visit them quite often to see what might be available. Cheers--- Dawn HH

High Heeled Boots Forever!

Posted Image

Interesting styles you posted, Danielle. Now I've seen these Moda Spana slingbacks before, and in size 13, but narrow, and I need a wide in that size. A pity since they're nice looking shoes. Something I'd love wearing at the office.

Posted Image

I have a shoe like this from www.womenshoesplus.com

Name: Bella Price: $ 49.95 Item: # HS-10603

They have 13WW and I wear 14's and have purchased from them several times and have been very pleased with their service and products

-----------------------------------------------

Used to be cosmo_loves_PH before the crash!

They havea similar style of Moda slingbacks on Ebay but there is only a day left to run.

They are Topaz colour which is kind of Beige, they are in a Size 13M

The seller had them in black in this size a few weeks ago (Item # 5358779643) and Black Suede (item # 5359439238) I would have had them but was put of the cost of the shipping to UK. She has a lot of nice designer type shoes in larger sizes so might be worth keeping an eye on.

Hope this help.

Here the link for the Moda Slingbacks: Item # 5360091396

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=63889&item=5360091396&rd=1&ssPageName=WDVW

In the land of the blind, the one eyed man is king!!!

Mickey S,

Look out on Ebay USA, they have loads of sellers that have the current range of Payless shoes on their auctions, I have bought 3 pairs of payless shoes that are currently on their website at the moment. They tend to go for more than the price payless sells them for but with the weak dollar it makes the shipping costs a bit more bearable.

They ones i bought were:

Karla Green Size 12w

http://www.payless.com/Catalog/ProductDetail.aspx?&TLC=Promotions&SLC=PromoWomens&BLC=WomensPromoColor&Width=Wide&DescriptiveColor=Green&ItemCode=21688&LotNumber=038948&Type=Adult&Popularity=520

Klassic Boucle Sling - Pink Material size 13w

http://www.payless.com/Catalog/ProductDetail.aspx?&TLC=Promotions&SLC=PromoWomens&BLC=WomensPromoColor&Width=Wide&DescriptiveColor=Pink&ItemCode=21816&LotNumber=039165&Type=Adult&Popularity=362

Kerstin Mule Sz12W Black

http://www.payless.com/Catalog/ProductDetail.aspx?&TLC=Womens&SLC=WomensDress&BLC=WomensDressTrendy&Width=Wide&DescriptiveColor=Black&ItemCode=21691&LotNumber=038898&Type=Adult&Popularity=318

I have also bought some payless boots of an ebay seller which were unusually for payless made from leather rather than synthetic materialand they were well made as well as looking stylish.

In the land of the blind, the one eyed man is king!!!

Last Friday I decided to go to a local shoe store to check for some styles they might have. Since sometimes a (US ladies) size 10 fits me I wanted to see if they got something new that would be worth bying. I tried some of the pointy-toe-5"-stilettos but found they all were at least a little too small. So I went for the clerk to check if they got some of the styles in my native size, was wearing a pair of the shoes of choice already and lifted my trousers' legs a bit (I wore those long flared jeans) to show what shoe style I refer to. She, the clerk, a woman in her 40ies, said that they have them available only up to size 10. She also pointed me out to some other styles which were similar but might be a bit larger than the size they are actually specified for. Bad luck, didn't find any appropriate in my size though but was having a great time... CU! -Mike

• 1 year later...

Resurrecting a very old thread, I've just tried on my second pair of high heels in a shop.

I was after another pair of New Rock Malicias, and went into a shop in Manchester city centre that has a good range of them. The assistant was a very attractive rock chick, and I asked her if they had a particular boot in a size 41. Sadly they didn't, but she said that it would be best if whoever I was buying them for could come in and try them on, as sometimes a size one way or the other will fit.

In the past I'd have made my excuses at that point, but I told her that actually they were for me, and that I already had a pair and knew that my size was a 41. She double checked, to confirm that they didn't have any, and then asked if I liked any of the others. As it turned out they had very few pairs in a 41, but one they did have was the knee length version of these:

Posted Image

When I said that I didn't think they'd zip up over my calf, she explained that they had a pretty good stretch panel, and that if I liked them I should try them on rather than assume they wouldn't fit. There was only one pair in stock, so she got the display one down and even zipped it up for me! Although it was a bit of a struggle, it felt fine once it was on and she suggested I try them both. Again, she zipped me into it. As it turned out I wasn't sure enough that I liked them, and they weren't what I went in for, so I told her I'd have a think and call back later in the afternoon if I decided to buy them.

So, a slightly disappointing day in that I didn't get the boots that I wanted, but very enjoyable few minutes spent trying a pair on. The assistant even complimented me on how easily I could walk in them!

Chris