Man In High Heels Spotted!

Dr. Shoe

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Alex, how does he look? Does he have good taste? How about his shoes, are they coordinated with the rest of his clothes? Quite the trend setter, i'd say :wink:

Being mentally comfortable in your own mind is the key to wearing heels in public.

It seems to me that, after reading the whole thread, for men only high heeled boots are adequate. But I do not agree. Has anybody saw a man in high heeled sandals or mules, open or closed toes? :wink:

I think that men can wear what they want. I personally only like boots, and I think I have ugly feet, so I don't even wear flat "men's" sandals. I think that high heeled sandals are much more obvious than boots, so it would take a lot more courage to wear them.

Having said that, I think it's brave but not out of the question. It's just not me, not yet. Perhaps if I'm lucky enough to find someone to gently encourage me...

(Now *that's* a red rag to a bull round here, isn't it :D )

Obsessed is such a strong word. I prefer to think of myself as "differently enthusiastic"

It seems to me that, after reading the whole thread, for men only high heeled boots are adequate. But I do not agree. Has anybody saw a man in high heeled sandals or mules, open or closed toes? :wink:

Out of maybe 5 sightings in my life three of them were wearing sandals.

Two around 1975, yes it's true that some men were wearing heels -- mostly hideous 2 inch platforms with 2 1/2 inch heels -- but one of these was a pair of wood soled sandals. Probably 4 1/2 inch heels and less than one inch thick soles. He walked like the world imagines men to walk wearing heels, awkwardly.

The second around that time was wearing a 6 inch pair of what were then called "buffalo sandals." Those were wedge soled platform sandals with wide straps. The soles were 2 or 3 inches thick and the heels ideally twice as high as the sole -- at least that was the proportions of the good looking ones. They were originally called buffalo sandals for the color of the first ones sold, but the name stuck because of the way most women walked in them. He walked like he was wearing Nikes.

Number 3 was last year at a railroad station in Yokohama Japan. I reported it somewhere a few pages back in this thread quoted here:

I saw a man in Yokohama station wearing a gray men's suit with dark red sandals. The shoes had about 2 inch platform soles. The trousers were fairly long hiding the full heel, but based on decades of shoe watching I'll put the heels in the 6 inch range and maybe 1 inch wide.

The shoes were either too large, stretched, or poorly designed, or he had very long toes because they were hanging over the ends of the platforms. They looked the way Don Martin of Mad magazine drew platform sandals.

The shoes looked as out of place as a bride carrying a carburetor.

He walked slowly, taking deliberately long steps, paused and rummaged through every trash barrel, and would have caused a stir even if he had been wearing Nikes.

I'm sorry to seem critical but I think we're trying to create a look, not a spectacle. The red sandals, white socks, gray trousers, and unpracticed stride just didn't work.

I guess I’ll put it down as an off the scale aberration and keep searching.

I was with two 20 year old Japanese women and they couldn't take their eyes off of him. Kept telling me he was a "stranger." I couldn't understand much of their Japanese discussion but every other sentence included hentai (strange, weird, abnormal).

Do slides count?

As much as I recall, I'm the only man who I've seen wearing sandals (wedge heeled slides actually) in public. However I don't spend a lot of time looking at men's feet so I may not be the best one to answer this question.

I started out with a preference for more dominant types of female footwear, such as spike heels and boots. However I also like to wear softer things too. My slides are feminine and nonthreatening without being too "sissy".

Michael

Yup, myself :D

Hi! I'm a signature virus! Copy me into your sig and help me spread!

It seems to me that, after reading the whole thread, for men only high heeled boots are adequate. But I do not agree. Has anybody saw a man in high heeled sandals or mules, open or closed toes? :D

Sandalslover, you are provocating me!!! Springtime has come and it's the right time for an courageous outing on my nice 6''-platform sandals :wink:

micha (*who made his afternoon promenade on 4'' knee high boots because the weather in Frankfurt is actually april-like*)

The best fashion is your own fashion!

Look at the first post in this thread :D

Graduate footwear designer able to advise and assist on modification and shoe making projects.

• 3 weeks later...

Posted Image

It's a shame you weren't at Birmingham Pavillions last year (That's Calvin next to me, looking away! And no wonder, I don't pretend they go with those clothes, I just put them on for a laugh)

Posted Image

That's my normal attire, also at Birmingham Pavillions where you would have spotted 3 men in heels that day, but quite a few more women!