Heels and the Olympics Opening Ceremony

Cali

Tech
This post was recognized by Tech!

Cali was awarded the badge 'Great Content' and 50 points.

I was wondering if you notice how many men in high heels are part of the openning ceremonies. From 3 men running through alibrary, to men on a fashion runway on a bridge.

• Like 2

I don’t watch the Olympics at all. I used to love them when I was a kid - and believed in all the nonsense. I’ve not watched any of them since about 1984. It’s nice to think that they had some men in heels for the opening ceremony though.

Posted (edited)

I went to the 1984 Olympics. Saw two days of track and field. Watch high hurdler Moses outclass all the other runners. Ate lunch outside the boxing complex and had several international TV interviews with boxing medalist happen next to us. Walked across the street with the heavy weight boxing gold medalist next to me with his gold medal around his neck. Shook his hand, softess hands (other than a baby) that I have ever felt.

Edited by Cali

8 hours ago, Cali said:

I was wondering if you notice how many men in high heels are part of the openning ceremonies. From 3 men running through alibrary, to men on a fashion runway on a bridge.

Is men in heels a new category in this year’s Olympics?  If it is, I wish I would have known, I would’ve tried out!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Being mentally comfortable in your own mind is the key to wearing heels in public.

I’d love to see someone try the triple jump in stilettos - I’ll bet that would rate high, an Olympian version of Funniest Home Videos. Or weightlifting in stilettos. Can’t you just see the front row of judges scrambling out of their seats as a super heavyweight lurches towards them with 240kg nearly over his head? It would be brilliant TV

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Shyheels said:

I’d love to see someone try the triple jump in stilettos - I’ll bet that would rate high, an Olympian version of Funniest Home Videos. Or weightlifting in stilettos. Can’t you just see the front row of judges scrambling out of their seats as a super heavyweight lurches towards them with 240kg nearly over his head? It would be brilliant TV

Oh yeah!  How about the 12 mile hike in 5 inch high heels 👠? That’s  more along my line.  Interesting time trials?

• Like 2

Being mentally comfortable in your own mind is the key to wearing heels in public.

I would definitely tune in if the balance beam in gymnastics were done in heels. In fact, everybody is getting so advanced these days, why not make it a requirement?

• Like 1

Can you believe that every one is upset about the drag parade?  

I can understand the outrage. I’ve nothing against drag queens, or having a drag performance in the opening ceremony but doing the Last Supper as drag was deliberatively provocative, insulting and utterly gratuitous. Imagine if they had done the Hejira in drag! Christians are sick of this sort of thing and I don’t blame them. Utterly unnecessary. Again, nothing against drag but why deliberately insult someone’s faith?

• Like 1

If they insulted Muslims as bad there would be open warfare in the streets of Paris.  Not that there won’t soon be anyway.

Not only would their be violence but the seem people who are so delighted about the drag performance of the Last Supper would be falling all over themselves to apologise for such insensitivity. 

4 hours ago, Shyheels said:

Not only would their be violence but the seem people who are so delighted about the drag performance of the Last Supper would be falling all over themselves to apologise for such insensitivity. 

That is so true.  It has happened that way in the past. But then again, you’ll do anything to save yourself when someone has a knife at your throat.

On 7/29/2024 at 8:50 AM, Bubba136 said:

Can you believe that every one is upset about the drag parade?  

Drag parade is onething but the depictionof the last super was way out of line.

give me more heels

I should probably stay out of this, but I never had much common sense. Let me keep this brief and free of f-bombs. As a Christian myself, I am very tired of outrage in general, and especially this. Let's pretend for a minute that this was, in fact, a depiction of the Last Supper, which it's not at all clear that it was. That Da Vinci painting was merely a depiction itself. Does anybody really believe that's how it happened in real life?

I have no time for fundamentalist nonsense anymore. What does it say in the Bible? Last time I looked, Jesus said to love your neighbor as yourself. Love your enemies. Feed the poor. Spread the wealth. Welcome the immigrant. You know, things like that, plus a whole bunch more stuff so-called Christians don't really want to do. I don't recall where it says get outraged at every perceived slight to your sensibilities.

2 hours ago, mlroseplant said:

I should probably stay out of this, but I never had much common sense. Let me keep this brief and free of f-bombs. As a Christian myself, I am very tired of outrage in general, and especially this. Let's pretend for a minute that this was, in fact, a depiction of the Last Supper, which it's not at all clear that it was. That Da Vinci painting was merely a depiction itself. Does anybody really believe that's how it happened in real life?

I have no time for fundamentalist nonsense anymore. What does it say in the Bible? Last time I looked, Jesus said to love your neighbor as yourself. Love your enemies. Feed the poor. Spread the wealth. Welcome the immigrant. You know, things like that, plus a whole bunch more stuff so-called Christians don't really want to do. I don't recall where it says get outraged at every perceived slight to your sensibilities.

Persecution of Christians is a historical fact. What Christians believe is forgiveness for the persecution and pray for the persecutors.  Being a believer isn’t easy!

Edited by Bubba136
Spacing

18 minutes ago, Bubba136 said:

Persecution of Christians is a historical fact. What Christians believe is forgiveness for the persecution and pray for the persecutors.  Being a believer isn’t easy!

What you say is true, historically. However, that is no longer true here where we live. How many people in the U.S. consider us to be a Christian nation, or would like us to be? Which, according to the U.S. Constitution, is not allowed at all, and for good reason. Still, we remain the majority, and therefore cannot truly be persecuted in the modern day in the U.S.

• 2 weeks later...
On 8/2/2024 at 1:06 PM, mlroseplant said:

You're telling us to turn the other cheek to the current day equivalent of the BAD PEOPLE FROM GERMANY or the BAD PEOPLE FROM THE USSR. These people are as committed to their ideology as ISIS. There is no compromise possible with them. Give them a finger and they will tear off your arm and call you a bigot for doing so. They want to destroy Western society so they can build their new perfect society on top of its ruins.

• Like 1

Yes I think people underestimate the commitment of these people to their own “faith”. It is uncompromising and utterly lacking in either perspective or humour. They are dangerous and the label they’ve chosen to give themselves, “progressives” is as much a lie as any so called “people’s republic”

And despite the differences, the world still turns. Societies reinvent themselves, civilization after civilization.  

Of course they do, but I think with the universality of social media and the rapid rise of AI we are entering new ground. Whether it is “end game” or not is yet to be seen, but these changes that are taking place are unlike anything in the past. 

4 hours ago, Bubba136 said:

And despite the differences, the world still turns. Societies reinvent themselves, civilization after civilization.  

The world will still be here long after we are gone. Hopefully to other, better places. But as civilizations go and new ones rise, a lot of what was once good, in their culture, art, literature, gets forever lost. Most of the culture, art and literature of the Greeks and Romans was lost when their civilizations collapsed. And let us not forget, a new civilization rising over the old one is not a peaceful kumbaya process. It is violent, it is destructive, and it often replaces or subjugates the people that lived in the old civilization. It is not something you wish to experience and to those who did got to experience it it was the end of the world to them.

I’ve never read of any any man being remembered for saying that life was easy.  History is a record of perrel and demise!

Edited by Bubba136
Spelling?

Quote from an older colleague at work, after struggling with something for a while: "You know, it's not always about doing it the easy way. [pregnant pause] Which is a good thing, because we're sure NOT doing it the easy way.

On 8/14/2024 at 2:54 PM, Bubba136 said:

I’ve never read of any any man being remembered for saying that life was easy.  History is a record of perrel and demise!

Life is indeed not easy. Sadly we are in the hands of men and women who have led very easy and comfortable lives and who know nothing of struggling other then from a Hollywood movie but who think they know better. That famous saying, hard times create hard men, hard men create good times, good times create soft men, soft men create hard times. We're in for very hard times.

• Like 1