Shoe hates

redandwhite

41 minutes ago, Bubba136 said:

Speaking of Nike, I just read an article on U Tube where the star of the University of Iowa’s women’s basketball team, Caitlin Clark, signed a huge endorsement contract with Nike shoes worth over 50 million dollars, even to a point where Nike will produce a “signature shoe” with her name on it.  I am wondering if mlroseplant has any interest in getting a pair when they become available?  If he does, he might be setting a new trend by wearing a pair of women’s basketball shoes by men.  A new thing for sure, but it just might catch on.

I really want a pair of those nike sky high wedge sneaks.  I wish nike would make a pair of sneaks with actual heels....

21 hours ago, Bubba136 said:

Speaking of Nike, I just read an article on U Tube where the star of the University of Iowa’s women’s basketball team, Caitlin Clark, signed a huge endorsement contract with Nike shoes worth over 50 million dollars, even to a point where Nike will produce a “signature shoe” with her name on it.  I am wondering if mlroseplant has any interest in getting a pair when they become available?  If he does, he might be setting a new trend by wearing a pair of women’s basketball shoes by men.  A new thing for sure, but it just might catch on.

It seems unlikely that I will make such a purchase. For one thing, I rarely wear "nice" sneakers, so I could hardly be a trendsetter. For another, I'm sure the asking price is way more than I would want to pay. As an aside, though I didn't really know him at all, I went to school with Ms. Clark's father. Somebody asked me recently ago if I knew him, and I sort of vaguely remembered him. "Why?" I asked. I didn't even know who Caitlin Clark was a couple of weeks ago.

20 hours ago, pebblesf said:

I really want a pair of those nike sky high wedge sneaks.  I wish nike would make a pair of sneaks with actual heels....

Unless you really, really like that style, you ain't missin' much. I bought a pair several years ago, 8 years ago to be exact, thinking that I was going to be getting away with something forbidden, and I did. Nobody ever said anything or gave me the stink-eye. That's because they're not really high enough to be considered heels in my mind. What you get is less than 2 inches of steepness* between forefoot and heel. They are clunky, don't work well with skinny jeans/pants, and in my estimation, not particularly comfortable. They're a bitch to get on and off, which is kind of a big concern when you're in Vietnam, as you have to remove your shoes quite often, maybe even to go to a restaurant or coffee house. Because your foot only goes about halfway down into the shoe (because of the wedge), they have all the disadvantages of a low-top sneaker, along with all the disadvantages of a high-top sneaker. I've worn them maybe three or four times since 2016, just to remind myself why I never wear them. Either go with flats, or wear real heels.

* I believe they are advertised as being 2 1/2 or 2 3/4" or something like that. Technically, that's true, and they would give you 90% of that in extra standing height, but you have to figure in the fact that the toe area is nearly 1" of that. Hence, my "less that 2 inch" figure. That's a flat, really.

• Like 1

On 4/27/2024 at 6:23 AM, mlroseplant said:

It seems unlikely that I will make such a purchase. For one thing, I rarely wear "nice" sneakers, so I could hardly be a trendsetter. For another, I'm sure the asking price is way more than I would want to pay. As an aside, though I didn't really know him at all, I went to school with Ms. Clark's father. Somebody asked me recently ago if I knew him, and I sort of vaguely remembered him. "Why?" I asked. I didn't even know who Caitlin Clark was a couple of weeks ago.

Unless you really, really like that style, you ain't missin' much. I bought a pair several years ago, 8 years ago to be exact, thinking that I was going to be getting away with something forbidden, and I did. Nobody ever said anything or gave me the stink-eye. That's because they're not really high enough to be considered heels in my mind. What you get is less than 2 inches of steepness* between forefoot and heel. They are clunky, don't work well with skinny jeans/pants, and in my estimation, not particularly comfortable. They're a bitch to get on and off, which is kind of a big concern when you're in Vietnam, as you have to remove your shoes quite often, maybe even to go to a restaurant or coffee house. Because your foot only goes about halfway down into the shoe (because of the wedge), they have all the disadvantages of a low-top sneaker, along with all the disadvantages of a high-top sneaker. I've worn them maybe three or four times since 2016, just to remind myself why I never wear them. Either go with flats, or wear real heels.

* I believe they are advertised as being 2 1/2 or 2 3/4" or something like that. Technically, that's true, and they would give you 90% of that in extra standing height, but you have to figure in the fact that the toe area is nearly 1" of that. Hence, my "less that 2 inch" figure. That's a flat, really.

I hear ya for sure, kind of worried they didn't have much in the way of a wedge to them...  

Don’t like it when a company makes a shoe which does fit me but it comes with an ankle strap 1-1.5” shorter than normal. It’s relevant if one has to perforate some extra holes in the strap. Don’t see a lot but it’s annoying. HinH

• Like 1

I have a new pair in my closet waiting for an old pair to give up a strap so I can lengthen the straps that came with the heels. Or maybe I'll just pick up a pair of old shoes at a yardsale.

Edited by Cali

12 hours ago, HappyinHeels said:

Don’t like it when a company makes a shoe which does fit me but it comes with an ankle strap 1-1.5” shorter than normal. It’s relevant if one has to perforate some extra holes in the strap. Don’t see a lot but it’s annoying. HinH

12 hours ago, Cali said:

I have a new pair in my closet waiting for an old pair to give up a strap so I can lengthen the straps that came with the heels. Or maybe I'll just pick up a pair of old shoes at a yardsale.

Gentlemen, if I have a problem with straps, it is usually the opposite problem--I run out of holes before the strap is tight. I suppose this, among other things, is why I favor mules.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, mlroseplant said:

Gentlemen, if I have a problem with straps, it is usually the opposite problem--I run out of holes before the strap is tight. I suppose this, among other things, is why I favor mules.

I purchased a hole punch to create extra holes to increase the vamp.  This is the reason I can’t wear pumps; I have a large toe box girth.  I could never find a pair of men’s sandals that fit my toe box and I could also close the top strap. I would run out of strap to tighten before it was tightened enough. When I converted to only women’s shoes, I found the first sandals that fit my feet.

• Like 1