Third Heeling Anniversary

mlroseplant

This week marks three years that I've been doing the public heeling thing. It seems kind of anti-climactic now, but I guess I'd better mark it for the sake of others who may need that extra little encouragement to begin wearing heels in public.

Three years ago, I put on the shoes pictured below, which were my first pair of "real" heels that I had bought to wear outside the house, and pushed my then three-year-old son in his stroller down to Bike Night, a monthly motorcycle rally held in our town. I wore the shoes under very long pants, and I was surprised at the time that I got no attention whatsoever from anyone. I wore these shoes out quite a few times (but not all the time like I do now), until I got some even higher heeled clogs, which then became the new standard some six months later. I still wear these shoes occasionally, and I will probably keep them forever for sentimental reasons, even when they are no longer fit to wear.

One thing I remember about my first time out, besides the lack of attention, was that the half mile walk to the town square, and the half mile walk back home seemed like it lasted FOREVER. I don't remember it being truly painful, but I was not prepared for that particular athletic challenge at the time. Today, with many miles of experience and practice under my belt, walking a mile in what are effectively 3 inch heels would be nothing to think of at all. Three years ago, having never been out in the real world wearing heels before, it was very difficult. I'm sure I didn't look too pretty. That would be the one bit of advice I'd like to give to new public heelers: Try to figure out some way to practice walking out in the real world before you do it in front of people. I don't care how many hours you've worn heels around the house, how many floors you've vacuumed or swept in heels, how many loads of laundry you've done in heels, once you are faced with a distance to walk outside in a continuous manner, and on ground that is not perfectly smooth and level, you will realize that you are not really prepared for what awaits you.

I was lucky that my town is small and quiet enough so that I was able to practice walking in heels late in the evenings, under cover of darkness, without worrying about my safety. I have walked hundreds of miles through my neighborhood over the last three years. Even so, to this day, I feel like I need more practice. Or maybe that's just me, wanting to find an excuse to go out in heels.

post-19325-0-54637000-1432393403_thumb.j

post-19325-0-60303100-1432393418_thumb.j

post-19325-0-26279300-1432393437_thumb.j

Hey! mlroseplant,

My Congratulations to you also on your third anniversary of public heeling. I think the comment in preparing for distance walking in heels is very good advice. It's probably one of the reasons guys think wearing high heels is so difficult, because they expect to start walking in heels as if there is no difference. Then they experience muscle fatigue sooner along with the awkwardness of the unfamiliar height and conclude wearing high heels is too hard. 

REMEMBER: FOR DISTANCE HEELING - the higher the heel, the more need of preparing and familiarization. It would probably be a good idea to do a bunch of short walks that would sum up to ten times the expected distance you are going to negotiate. 

Yes, Histiletto, I would agree with your advice 100%. We really want to make it look easy, like any athlete strives for. I also have the 2 mile rule with almost all my shoes. I have mentioned this many times before, but I will say it again for the benefit of newcomers and aspiring public heelers. If I can't walk 2 miles (3.2 km) in a pair of heels in reasonable comfort, I get rid of them. This doesn't always happen immediately. I always give a pair of shoes I really like many fair chances to pass the test, but some shoes are just not meant for my feet, and I won't suffer for the sake of fashion. I will practice, I will train, but I refuse to feel miserable in a pair of shoes, because what's the point?

Another thing to think about--standing is often more difficult than walking. I have memories of proudly wearing a brand new pair of wicked 5" boots to the mall, then barely being able to make it back to the car because I had to wait in line for almost an hour at the mobile phone store (it was the Christmas holiday season). Wow, that tested my ability to cope with pain. Again, today, it is no problem. It's just a matter of practice and training.

A final thought tonight, on this third anniversary for me: I have a 21 year old niece in Vietnam who likes to wear heels. She is one of only three people in Vietnam who know about my choice of footwear. She seems to believe that men don't have the ability to walk in heels, and she said the shoes she likes to wear would absolutely kill me. Maybe it's true, but I'm fairly confident that I would walk all over her in a distance heeling contest. Brothers, help me prove her wrong!

Yes, Histiletto, I would agree with your advice 100%. We really want to make it look easy, like any athlete strives for. I also have the 2 mile rule with almost all my shoes. I have mentioned this many times before, but I will say it again for the benefit of newcomers and aspiring public heelers. If I can't walk 2 miles (3.2 km) in a pair of heels in reasonable comfort, I get rid of them. This doesn't always happen immediately. I always give a pair of shoes I really like many fair chances to pass the test, but some shoes are just not meant for my feet, and I won't suffer for the sake of fashion. I will practice, I will train, but I refuse to feel miserable in a pair of shoes, because what's the point?

Another thing to think about--standing is often more difficult than walking. I have memories of proudly wearing a brand new pair of wicked 5" boots to the mall, then barely being able to make it back to the car because I had to wait in line for almost an hour at the mobile phone store (it was the Christmas holiday season). Wow, that tested my ability to cope with pain. Again, today, it is no problem. It's just a matter of practice and training.

A final thought tonight, on this third anniversary for me: I have a 21 year old niece in Vietnam who likes to wear heels. She is one of only three people in Vietnam who know about my choice of footwear. She seems to believe that men don't have the ability to walk in heels, and she said the shoes she likes to wear would absolutely kill me. Maybe it's true, but I'm fairly confident that I would walk all over her in a distance heeling contest. Brothers, help me prove her wrong!

I think your niece, is wrong. Most men can walk in heels better that a lot of women can. I get that statement a lot from women, when I'm wearing heels and how well I walk in them.

I have a niece, that is 35, that just loves to see me in heels. She always says, "Uncle, you can walk in heels better than I can". Enough said!

Happy Heeling,

bluejay

mlroseplant-  Happy Heeling  Anniversary to you neighbor!  You started with basic and low-profile heels and became proficient in walking in them these past three years. If your niece in Vietnam could manage a visit then, I think, a better chance to for you both would present itself to test your heel mastery. While I adore wedges I wear ankle boots, knee-high boots, pumps, and platform sandals but always with a heel 5" or higher. I like to accessorize with watches, and knit caps, and sometimes a handbag. I'm evolving I think as a freestyler but am not at the TBG or JeffB level yet. Most of the time it's all about just the heels on my feet.  Keep it up!  HappyinHeels

• 4 weeks later...

Miroseplant  -  Happy third.  You picked a good pair to start the three years with.  Many years ago I also got a pair of Sofft mules.

They are very comfortable and good quality.  They should give you many more years of enjoyment.

HappyinHeels, could you tell me the name of the shoe in your avitar.  I have admired them for quite while.  Do you know if they would still be available?

Thanks,

Sparky088

....and remember, your mileage may very.....

post-1736-0-95944600-1434897875_thumb.jp