Keep Or Return?

freestyle75

Keep or return?  

8 members have voted

1. 1. Would you keep it or return it?

Hi,

I need your advice.

I stumbled upon I sweater that I fell in love with from Alexander McQueen... women's side of the store. When I visited London, I tried the "Large" version, which was way too small. They only produce it in XL in their largest size, so when it became available on sale this week (down from around 1800 USD to 900 USD), I bought it online. Tags are still attached.

Thing is... it's a tad too small. Not so much too small that you couldn't wear it (at least my brain likes it so much that I might imagine it to be wearable), but ... oh well *sigh*... I really want to keep it, but then again, I am not sure whether it looks kinda awkward. As I really love it's style so much, I might just imagine it to look right. 

So I took a picture of the original (see also here) and me in the mirror. Would you keep it?

keep_or_return_zpsa39c31ef.jpg

I said " return it " because there is no sweater made that I would pay that much for - - just can't do it. Besides that, it just doesn't grab me at all.

Not to come off as cheap, or crude or insulting etc, but I'm thinking that I wouldn't pay $2.49 USD at the local thrift shop, but then I wouldn't be looking at the label either.

Thanks for your answers so far - maybe I should rephrase a bit: Do you think that it looks ok on me or do you think "hmm, looks too small" / "guy wearing a girl's sweater" when you see the pic?

I absolutely know that this thing is probably produced for 20 bucks somewhere, and that it's totally not worth the price. BUT... my new year's resolution is not to buy any clothes/shoes in 2015, and this is the last remainder of the 2014 shopping list that I absolutely wanted to have. I like the way the knit has the different lines, the zippers and the assymetrical cut. I've been looking for something like this for quite a while now... no more shopping after this one.

Thanks for your answers so far - maybe I should rephrase a bit: Do you think that it looks ok on me or do you think "hmm, looks too small" / "guy wearing a girl's sweater" when you see the pic?

I absolutely know that this thing is probably produced for 20 bucks somewhere, and that it's totally not worth the price. BUT... my new year's resolution is not to buy any clothes/shoes in 2015, and this is the last remainder of the 2014 shopping list that I absolutely wanted to have. I like the way the knit has the different lines, the zippers and the assymetrical cut. I've been looking for something like this for quite a while now... no more shopping after this one.

For $900 keep looking, and scrap the New Year's resolution.  You will go nuts trying to keep it.

TBG

I dream of a world where chickens can cross roads without having their motives questioned.

I don't think it looks noticeably small at all, it doesn't look tight around the shoulders/chest and the length of the sleeves looks fine - assuming it wouldn't shrink in the wash. I also just think "it's a person wearing a sweater", guy or girl is irrelevant... but in general it's quite androgynous and not overtly feminine, and I can't imagine anyone making a big deal of it at all.

Personally I think it looks better with the jeans. It's a nice skirt but the zip kind of clashes with the distinctive diagonal lines in the sweater's pattern making the whole look a bit too busy. A plain skirt might be better, but I still think jeans are the best.

As for the price it's way outside my universe, but just the thought of how many heels I could have in my wardrobe for $900, the sweater doesn't stand a chance.

If you like it, wear it.

I voted "keep it" only on the basis of looks. If price entered into it, I would say get rid of it. I'm looking at the shoulders, looking at the chest. Why do you think it's too small? The loose wrists bug me, but it's obviously supposed to be that way.

I agree with TBG, your resolution is going to drive you nuts. I know you want to save for a house, but there's a lot of good stuff to be had on the "lower brow" side of things.

I voted "keep it" only on the basis of looks. If price entered into it, I would say get rid of it. I'm looking at the shoulders, looking at the chest. Why do you think it's too small? The loose wrists bug me, but it's obviously supposed to be that way.

I agree with TBG, your resolution is going to drive you nuts. I know you want to save for a house, but there's a lot of good stuff to be had on the "lower brow" side of things.

Thanks for all of your answers. @mlroseplant: The knit is quite heavy, and my other sweaters do not feel as "tight" as this one when wearing them, so I might just not be used to it being a bit more narrow. My worries became less when most of you said that it looks ok (but is not worth the price). Well.. as I said, I really like it... and I have decided to keep it, despite the price tag. 

@TBG / mlroseplant: I've written an essay on my shopping habit that probably will show why this resolution is a good one in my case: Confessions of a shopaholic

.... my other sweaters do not feel as "tight" as this one when wearing them, so I might just not be used to it being a bit more narrow.

Womenswear tends to "hug" a bit more, but it's a nice sensation. I always feel really sloppy when I revert to menswear, which tends to be very loose and shapeless and boring.

If you like it, wear it.

$900? For that? WOW! Style aside (admittedly, it doesn't float my boat), I'd return it and look for a knock off somewhere for a fraction of the price.

I don't want to LOOK like a woman, I just want to DRESS like a woman!

Thanks for all of your answers. @mlroseplant: The knit is quite heavy, and my other sweaters do not feel as "tight" as this one when wearing them, so I might just not be used to it being a bit more narrow. My worries became less when most of you said that it looks ok (but is not worth the price). Well.. as I said, I really like it... and I have decided to keep it, despite the price tag.

@TBG / mlroseplant: I've written an essay on my shopping habit that probably will show why this resolution is a good one in my case: Confessions of a shopaholic

Ahhhhhh, your resolution makes much more sense to me now, and, given this newfound knowledge, I fully support you. Good luck! Hey, at least it's not like you have to give up the fabulous stuff you've already bought.