Fun Time Of Year Near

jetheelsfan

I did something for the first time last year during this time of year.  I went to a store with full intention to purchase a pair of heels as I had many times earlier.  But something else additional was planned.  I wanted to try them on with the assistance of a sales associate.  I had always used the common excuse of a present for my wife but not this time.  I went in looking for a pair of heels that would go with a Halloween costume I was planning - The Bride of Frankenstein.  The SA thought that sounded lik a fun idea and was very helpful with suggestions of what to try on in a couple of different sizes for comfortable fit. 

I am planning on doing it again this year over the next few weeks for the fun of it and see what happens.

Just a bit higher to to delight - low enough for healthy foot comfort and great beginning.

I did the same the other night when I bought my new pair of UGG's wedge heel sandals. (See my post on, "Who has bought some new shoes") I was dealing with the owner of the shoe store, an Amer/Asian woman who was a great help and support with my shoe purchase. In fact she called me to stop in to look at the sandals as she knew that I liked wearing heels. She mentioned to me, that she has fitted men with heels on several occasions.

Happy Heeling,

bluejay

I did the same the other night when I bought my new pair of UGG's wedge heel sandals. (See my post on, "Who has bought some new shoes") I was dealing with the owner of the shoe store, an Amer/Asian woman who was a great help and support with my shoe purchase. In fact she called me to stop in to look at the sandals as she knew that I liked wearing heels. She mentioned to me, that she has fitted men with heels on several occasions.

Happy Heeling,

bluejay

It's great when sales people are understanding and try to make you feel comfortable. 

I stop[ped a t one of the stores today and the SA asked as I entered, "Are you looking for men's shoes?"  I replied, "No, actually I am looking for a pair of heels to start my costume for a Halloween party"  She took me over to the ailse with 12s and 13s on display.  I asked if it was OK to try and she repled "We have many come in and try them on."  About thet time a couple of ladies came in and guess what asile the went shopping.  I went to the SA and told he I did not want to make any customers feel uneasy and struck up a conversation by asking for advise.  She said she did not wear heels as her balance was terruble and she fell over most of ther time.  I replier that I was sorry to hear that and asked some other question until the ailse cleared.  I was able to try the Karman and Janine in different sizes and founf the Janine too tight in the toes even with a wide but the Karmen was just about perfect in a 12 W.  I really became fond of the Navy Patent but no 12 W.  They had the 4" heel Mary Jane in Burgandy in a 12M but it was just a little too tight.  I asked the SA if there was any store with a 13 and it came back negative.  I did not think to have her look for a 12W or 13M in black - another store across thon has the 12W in black and I need to see that one later.  In total, I spent about an hour in the store getting to try several pairs for about half that time. 

Just a bit higher to to delight - low enough for healthy foot comfort and great beginning.

jetsheelfan,

I am glad you finally went to a store and clearly stated that you were shopping for YOU instead of someone else since most sales associates know this in the first place. I also want you to know, and back up what so many here at hhplace have said before, that you will get better service and enjoy the shopping experience more if you simply are honest from the start. Halloween is a universally-accepted occasion for a man to shop for high heels, dresses, wigs, or any other "female" accessory under the guise of a costume. Halloween ranks second only to Christmas in consumer spending now. I think a major part of that is the many men who now completely or partially dress for Halloween that never used to.

Attitudes have changed in stores I believe as a function of society and economics. When I go shoe shopping I am wearing some type of heel most of the time. I am warmly greeted and get great service. If I am trying on heels and other customers happen to see me then that's the way it goes. Act like you belong and don't stare at anyone and they can't stare back. After a while you will actually wonder what the hell you were fretting about. Step out and step up in the heels of your choice and do so with confidence and all else will work itself out.  HappyinHeels

I went to a shoe store last year looking for heels. She brought out a pair of kneehigh boots with 5" heels. She said: $5, wear them for haloween! Is said: I don't need halloween to strut in killer heels. She almost passed out. Just for the record, a look a lot different than I did last year. I should have bought them. What is $5? A bus fare?

Great find for sure - congratulations.  Funny the SA "knew" it was for Halloween.  I have a feeling that there must be a major amout of heels coming off the shelves by men this time of year.

Don't wait till November! Anyplace I have shopped for heels the SA was told they are for myself and they just seem to love to help out a guy with a purchase.

Not one SA has said anything about a guy looking for heels and most have had some really good advice on what looks good on me!

Just do it!  :)

I di pick up the pair of Landry MJs in black size 12W.  They were just too tight and returned them.  Last night I again looked for a size 13 and there was now available a burgandy pair of 13's.  Oh the difference in fit and they now were on clearance for $14 also.  The SA was very helpful in telling me how I could tell if the fit was right eventhough she volunteered that she did not wear heels as she had "bad balance" but seemed to enjoy watching me take some trial steps in them.  I have them now. 

http://www.payless.com/store/product/detail.jsp?catId=cat10088&subCatId=cat10270&skuId=134602075&productId=73653&lotId=134602&category=&catdisplayName=Womens

I also stopped at another store that had a very limited supply o 13's mixed in with the 12's.  This SA stated she really liked the Karmen (12, 12w, 13,13w in black) and encouraged me to try all of them to compair fit.  Their other pair of 13's was a pair of Kimmie MJ's with a slightly lower heel that she wanted me to try also

http://www.payless.com/store/product/detail.jsp?catId=cat10088&subCatId=cat10270&skuId=086873065&productId=69178&lotId=086873&category=&catdisplayName=Womens

Fun day of shopping and trying on different pairs for comparisons and suggestions.  All the SAs were very good to work with to find just that "right pair" of shoes.

I was planning to go to halloween as "the bearded lady". I don't wanna shave off my beard for a cool costume, but also really want to wear heels this year. So I figured it was the best of both worlds. But all the planning turned out to be for nothing since there isn't a nice party around to go to this year. I'll keep the plan for next time though.

Check my site: www.incredibleheels.com

I seems odd to me that in America there seems to be approval for such mischief at Halloween, yet in the UK it is not even thought of.

Maybe it should be imported. ;)

Al

The last shopping experience, I had a theme I was pusuing instead of just a "general costume" staetment.  I asked if there was any suggestions for shoes that would go with "Glenda - The Good Witch" from the Wizard of Oz.  The SA checked with another and pointed me to a pair of silver glitter flats, white flats, and the white Karmen pumps - which she said were "the most comfortable shoes made."  The store was fairly busy and she had to move on to help another customer.  I thanked her for her help and ideas.  This store was just a little to close to homebase and I did not pursue any trials of suggestions in the busy store.  There is still a couple of days left to shop for fun and try shoes. WARNING -  This can be habit forming ;)

Rain in forecast for Halloween taking son out he will be an angry bird the red one. My strappy sandals would be ruined if I wore them out in the rain we will see hopefully rain holds off. I would like too wear my Bakers Makala Gladiator sandals with the three and a half inch wedge heel we will see  Everyone have a Happy Halloween1 :lollipop:

Why would strappy sandals be ruined by getting them wet? If they're leather, it got wet when it was on the cattle many times, I'm sure. Just let them dry naturally at room temperature. If they're not leather, but vinyl or plastic, water probably won't affect it. If they're fabric, well, I would hope they don't get stained, but it's possible, I guess. The glues that are used are waterproof for the most part, but insoles could curl. Probably not from a single wetting, though.

I've gotten shoes of all sorts wet many times over the years, and I have yet to ruin a pair. It just doesn't happen.

Steve

I finishe up my "trick or treat" with three stops at different stores on Monday.  The first stop found a helpful SA - seems very normal at Payless.  She stated she had just sold a red pair of Karmens to anothe guy going as Dorothy.  She helped but did not have any thing that would go with a "Glenda" costume.  The second stop led me to a mall Payless that was suppose to have a pair of black patent Karman that I was wanting to try -m but they were not found.  But she found a pair of Kit Bow Pumps in a size 12W for $10 but they were just too tight.  I asked if any store might have a 13 and she looked and found one about 20 miles away.  She gave me the ticket for $4 off and I thanked her.  The last stop there was a very helpful SA who tried to explain how heels were supposed to fit.  This was the only SA that I ran across that said she wore heels while most admited they could not walk in heels.  She measured my feet and it looked like a 12 would fit fine and she had me try a Karmen 12.  It was just too tight and she mentioned she could see the outline of my toes and knew they were too tight.  Then she had me try a pair of 12W and stated they looked too small also.  She then had me try a 13W and told me to walk in them and stated that there was too much movement at the back with my foot sliding up and down because they were too big.  Then came the 13 and she told me, "those look great on you and you handle them well."  That was the first time I actually felt bad that I was not ready to make the purchase as I was still shopping.  That was my last stop for the season and was sorry I had to end it with a "bad" feeling of disappointment.  I did not expect that to happen.

jetheelsfan, no need to stop shopping!!  You will get this same SA help anytime during the year at Payless or most all stores. You don't need Halloween as an excuse. Just go in and tell the SA what you are looking for and need help.  I have had all that experience anytime shopping for myself at any time during the year.  I find the SA to be excited to help a guy get fit for heels and they always point out styles that they think would look good on me. 

I have gotten friendly with the manager at my local Payless and she goes out of her way to help. Says to call her on Wednesdays as the new shipments arrive Tuesdays and she will tell me what is new in my size to save me a trip over.  I love the attention!!  :)

Most experienced SAs are savvy enough to see right through lame excuses, so don't bother with them. In fact, you don't need an excuse at all. It's your money and if they have what you want, you can buy it without an excuse. You don't have to fill out an application form and explain why. All they need is your cash.

Steve

Very true that the money spent defies the "excuse."  But I found it easier to engage a conversation by explaining the reason as Halloween.  I had responces and suggestions that were helpful when a theme was brought into the conversation.  Many of them volunteered that they could not handle wearing the heels themself - and none of them seemed to be real happy about that fact about themself.  None were judgemental and really tried to be helpful.  A couple were anxious to see how well I was able to walk in them and encouraged me.  The one who admitted wearing heels complemented on how good they looked and my ability to handle them.  That is why I used the "excuse" I did and look forward to next year.  I may try a different approach sometime of "I just want to wear a pair of heels" to compare with the baseline I now have.  I do plan on adding a pair of the Karmen pumps to my collection and hope for a  coupon offer to do so.  I had fun shopping and listening to the "experts"give their point of views. 

• 2 weeks later...

Yeah I gotta say, earlier this year when I took the plunge and went to Avenue to get some boots, the SA was quite helpful.  She said that lots of guys come here to buy boots and shoes.  She even said all the ones I tried on looked good on me.  Granted, that's what they're SUPPOSED to say, but hey, it made me feel good nonetheless.  I walked out of the store with 4 pairs.