Uk v USA Stigma

Mindsflight

Good day to you all. So today i saw a reply to a thread which refered to national differences regarding the acceptance of men wearing heels etc. I am curious as to if there actually is any differences in the level of acceptance with regards to country of residence. I have lived in areas of the u.k whereby merely wearing the wrong colour t-shirt (street territorial coded) can result in a visit to hospital or worse, as can the wearing of anything slightly outside social norms. In such areas, should a man wish to wear heels, being named as gay is the least of his worries, therefore i am confused as to why anyone would assume his situation to be "lucky". I am lucky that should a knife wielding guy come at me , i can defend myself, but some are not so fortunate. Basically i wish for people not to dismiss the difficulties of others based upon national stereotyping. Anyway, good day to you all, thanks for reading.

I live in Hackney which is one of the roughest areas in the UK and is mentioned with Brixton and Mosside in crime reporting figures. I live on what was, until recently, voted the worse estate in Hackney and one which is notorious for crime. I regularly walk round my neighbourhood in a short mini-skirt and 5" heels without any problem at all. Wrong teeshirt colours, football club shirts etc. may cause trouble but the problems with heels are between the ears.

Graduate footwear designer able to advise and assist on modification and shoe making projects.

I live in Hackney which is one of the roughest areas in the UK and is mentioned with Brixton and Mosside in crime reporting figures. I live on what was, until recently, voted the worse estate in Hackney and one which is notorious for crime.

I regularly walk round my neighbourhood in a short mini-skirt and 5" heels without any problem at all.

Wrong teeshirt colours, football club shirts etc. may cause trouble but the problems with heels are between the ears.

Yes indeed i agree that the problem is one between their ears, but i refered to another post whereby uk residents were considered unaffected by the stigma. Im happy to hear that you have no problems , manchester was such an area in which i stayed too

I'll bet if someone did a poll on here, asking to rate how conservative/redneck/intolerant/dangerous a place you live in, most men here would answer that theirs is way above average. We can't ALL live in places that are way above average. It's our misperception. Surely there are bad neighborhoods where you don't want to be, even in daylight in men's shoes, but I think a lot of us use this misperception as an excuse. We proved yesterday that Canton, Ohio, is a not redneck place (in spite of Wobbles and her chain saw! ha ha ha!). It's typical middle America suburban and we who attended the heel meet in broad daylight all lived to tell about it. The demons are in our heads. Steve

I'll bet if someone did a poll on here, asking to rate how conservative/redneck/intolerant/dangerous a place you live in, most men here would answer that theirs is way above average. We can't ALL live in places that are way above average. It's our misperception. Surely there are bad neighborhoods where you don't want to be, even in daylight in men's shoes, but I think a lot of us use this misperception as an excuse. We proved yesterday that Canton, Ohio, is a not redneck place (in spite of Wobbles and her chain saw! ha ha ha!). It's typical middle America suburban and we who attended the heel meet in broad daylight all lived to tell about it. The demons are in our heads.

Steve

Well put, thanks for your input. Where i live currently most people dont care about what others wear and the few that do are either projecting or are too immature to accept it and they are the usual cowards in cars. I have just found heckles funny since i was named a jew by kids in a jeep, when was this jewish heel-wearing movement? hahahaha

I think you have to take into consideration that we all have unbuilt defense systems that will ensure we do not put ourselves in obviously confrontational situations. For example I wear my replica football shirt with pride but would not enter a match day home pubs in one of my local rivals cities with it on. I am considering wearing my heels in public for the first time soon but it won't be in the area where I was brought up in the evening as I probably would get some comments off groups of youths. So my answer yes of course there are places and situations that would be intolerent, even dangerous but if we use our social awareness we place ourselves in a position where the odds are that most will not care or would not comment at us anyway.

High heels are the shoes I choose to put on, respect my choice as I repect yours.

I wear heels with little regard to the type of neighborhood I am in. The few times I have gotten negative attention (cat calls etc., and these have been VERY few), have been in BOTH the "good and bad" areas of town! I worry less about the "rednecks" (whoever they are), and more about the thugs, gangs, parolees and illegal alien criminals roaming the streets unhindered. Both of our great countries have many of those fools out and about. One of the nice things about the US is our wonderful Second Amendment which allows citizens to carry arms for self protection!! sf

"Why should girls have all the fun!!"

I probably live in one of the safer areas when it comes to violent attacks on people. I can count the number of murders in the last 10 years on one hand, maybe two. Muggings maybe 20 and sexual assaults are fairly low. I live in an area where the majority of all this happens! Just part of living in the town, where there is a lot of flats / lot cost accommodation. I still have a walk in my heels most nights and am getting more daring all the time.

• 3 months later...

I'll bet if someone did a poll on here, asking to rate how conservative/redneck/intolerant/dangerous a place you live in, most men here would answer that theirs is way above average. We can't ALL live in places that are way above average. It's our misperception. Surely there are bad neighborhoods where you don't want to be, even in daylight in men's shoes, but I think a lot of us use this misperception as an excuse. We proved yesterday that Canton, Ohio, is a not redneck place (in spite of Wobbles and her chain saw! ha ha ha!). It's typical middle America suburban and we who attended the heel meet in broad daylight all lived to tell about it. The demons are in our heads.

Steve

Canton may not be, and I kinda would expect the Akron/Canton area to be a bit more cosmopolitan in nature. Head out toward Norwalk and you have a totally different mindset.

I have no experience living in the UK so I couldn't make a direct comparison if I wanted to. Judging from what I'm reading here, it sounds like it's the same all over to one degree or another. Charlie

Everything I say is a lie!.......I'm lying