Woman Says Citibank Fired Her Because She Was Too Hot

Daisuki

http://www.businessinsider.com/debrahlee-lorenzana-citi-2010-6

"As a result of her tall stature, coupled with her curvaceous figure," her suit says, Lorenzana was told "she should not wear classic high-heeled business shoes, as this purportedly drew attention to her body in a manner that was upsetting to her easily distracted male managers."

http://www.villagevoice.com/2010-06-01/news/is-this-woman-too-hot-to-work-in-a-bank/1

This is the way Debbie Lorenzana tells it: Her bosses told her they couldn't concentrate on their work because her appearance was too distracting. They ordered her to stop wearing turtlenecks. She was also forbidden to wear pencil skirts, three-inch heels, or fitted business suits.

Um... I wouldn't know anything about such "distractions." :)

Actually, when I hired my current employee, she asked if she should wear heels, but I said I was perfectly fine with flats. She has worn heels only 2-3 times in 4 years, and has worn flats at all other times. I'm ok with that here as I need to get work done!

That woman is hot! Her boss's wife probably had more to do with her being fired than he did.

Men are from Mars, Women are from Venus, I'm from the Earth.Now wearing HH Penny Loafers full time.

She is a beautiful lady. I think she is doing well sewing Citibank. Even more... she should sew her boss and the bank! I smell a trapped cat, as we say here in Argentina.

I don't think that I would sue just the one entity. I would sue everyone in sight that was involved and for a high amount of cash each. Maybe next time they would just get down to business and do their banking and girl watch on their own time outside of work. I agree that the bosses wife had a hand in this episode also. A little jealousy there I think. Cheers--- Dawn HH

High Heeled Boots Forever!

Her boss's wife probably had more to do with her being fired than he did.

Yeah, no doubt, huh?!

I mean, she could have sued for harassment if she was obviously knew that she was being leered at, etc.

I looked at the woman's photo and could see where some males might be distracted--IF they re not used to being around women from any of the countries south of the USA. I lived in Venezuela while studying for a year right in the heart of Caracas in the late 1970's and women wore dresses (never cutoffs or jeans) and heels 3" and up. Most did their own hair and nails that's simply the way it was. If you want to see the difference for yourself, check out our local network news-always above the waist shots and business casual tops and dresses. Then turn to Telemundo, Univision, or any of the Spanish-language channels. You may or may not understand what they are saying but you'll often see the ladies in above-the-knee dresses or skirts, very shiny legs, brightly painted nails and feet clad in heels 5" and up. This is "distracting" to our society but everyday reality across much of Central and South America. I recently read that Venezuela still ranks as the top consumer of cosmetics per capita in the world. A small country that has won an astounding number of beauty pageants over the years. I remember when the "Miss Venezuela" and "Miss Universe" contests were held traffic around Caracas suddenly became very light. Citibank may indeed be in for some legal drama unless there is something else going on here. I am heading to Brazil later this year to celebrate our silver anniversary and expect to see people wearing all sorts of things. If I don't see girls AND guys wearing high heels I would be disappointed. But then again it's Brazil where every conceivable race of people join to celebrate every conceivable together. That's my perspective on this based on my experiences on this big blue planet. HappyinHeels

I saw this story on TV and saw the woman in an interview. Citibank is so stupid. She is so attractive and intelligent, they could have promoted her to accomplish bigger and better things for Citibank based on her beauty, intelligence, and her communication skills. I hope she wins the suit.

I smell a publicity stunt.....and she's not as hot as she thinks she is..:)

The more pictures I see of her, the more I think you might be right.

How many photos have you got of yourself posing in the office? There will be more to this than meets the eye and will no doubt come out in time.

The angels have the phonebox.

The more pictures I see of her, the more I think you might be right.

How many photos have you got of yourself posing in the office?

My thoughts exactly.........

"Good Girls keep diaries....Bad Girls just don't have the time...!:icon_twisted:"

I think she's good looking, and she dresses to accentuate her features. There may be more to this than there first appears. However, there was apparently a visit to HR. If the story was as she claimed, she had to go to HR, not that they're going to help, but you have to check the "I went to HR" box. You have to exhaust all the facilities that are ostensibly there for your protection. Maybe there was some sort of personality conflict and the managers set her up. Just because someone becomes a manager, doesn't mean s/he knows how to handle people. Have to wait and see how this unfolds.

I watch the video clips of her several times and I didn't find anything untoward about the way she was dressed. Like a lot of other things that go on everywhere these days, someone has got to make a big deal out of nothing and claim their 15 minutes of fame. In the final analysis, they're all a bunch of dopes. When the court system starts making the loser pay all expenses of prosecuting any and every law suite, perhaps people will be less emboldened to file grievances against perceived and silly slights.

Being mentally comfortable in your own mind is the key to wearing heels in public.

I was ready to give her the benefit of the doubt. Now it's coming out that she wants a set of Double D's and to be a Playboy Playmate. Go figure.

I didn't know this part! However, is that still a point that should cost her her job....given the reality that she probably would move on if she ever was chosen as a "centerfold"....but then, just think how much business she could attract when it becomes common knowledge where that "centerfold" works? :wave:

Being mentally comfortable in your own mind is the key to wearing heels in public.

She is cute but that would offend me as a woman if I ever encountered that at my work place!! I work in a similar fashion as her, but wear even higher heels. I do have form fitted suits that I wear from time to time, sometimes with slacks, sometimes with pencil skirts. It just depends. I mean, what else am I suppose to wear at the office? A t-shirt and baggy pair of jeans? Then they would cite me for not being "professional" in terms of dress code. Either way, we lose it seems like. My slacks are low enough where it covers up my 6" stilettos fairly well. You can't even tell they're 6" unless I pull up on it. I would never work for a company like that. In fact, my job requires us to wear high heels, lol.

Remember, Ginger Rogers did everything Fred Astaire did, but she did it backwards and in high heels. -- Faith Whittlesey

She is cute but that would offend me as a woman if I ever encountered that at my work place!! I work in a similar fashion as her, but wear even higher heels. I do have form fitted suits that I wear from time to time, sometimes with slacks, sometimes with pencil skirts. It just depends. I mean, what else am I suppose to wear at the office? A t-shirt and baggy pair of jeans? Then they would cite me for not being "professional" in terms of dress code. Either way, we lose it seems like.

My slacks are low enough where it covers up my 6" stilettos fairly well. You can't even tell they're 6" unless I pull up on it. I would never work for a company like that. In fact, my job requires us to wear high heels, lol.

I work in an office and I work with a woman that I have worked with for many, many year. She and I are close in age. She is a very pretty woman and she wears 5" or higher heels every day and dresses very professionally. It's a shame that most of the younger women in the office "dress down" because new policy allows it. And it is not the men in the office that make rude comments about the attire my friend and co-worker wears, but is many of the women who quietly put her down for what she wears. It is truly a shame.

Well, well, what the hell? We've dumped enough money into Shittybank, to make a comfortable living for execs who took enormous risks knowing the taxpayers would backstop them. Having a few hundred women with ambition getting boob jobs at their expense would stimulate the economy a lot more than giving money to bankers so they can not lend it to people.

As a female who has been on the receiving end of unprofessional behaviour from male bosses in the past, I could have sympathised. However, I think she's taking a leaf out of Georgina Baillie's book and is likely to get a feature in one of these oh-so-classy lad's mags as a result of this little affair, with her puppies out which will then pay for her "career enhancement". I know I personally wouldn't have dreamed of broadcasting to the whole world that my boss tried to seduce me. I'd be rather concerned that my future employers would see me as somewhat of a troublemaker. Then again, my career of choice and aspiration isn't prancing around in hotpants and shaking my money maker/s.

• 2 months later...