Purging?

larkofam

Bubba,

I don't se it as a problem but rather an oppurtunity. I went out to a restaurant today wearing both heels and a skirt. :chuckle:

/Stefan

Boy, I wish for your sake, I am totally wrong.

Being mentally comfortable in your own mind is the key to wearing heels in public.

It could depend also on how you dress and how you carry yourself, because if you dress like a plonker then sure, you will be laughed out of town, but thats no different to anybody dressing lke an idiot..

I was going to say, if anybody is considering purging, how about putting all your heels in a box, post them to me and I will put them in my loft indefinately.... Then, when you realise what a mistake you have made, or want them back, you can just ship them back to yourself, instead of wasting money on purchasing more shoes/boots....???

Hey cookie just a couple of things:

1st Could I please get a definition of "plonker" I consider myself reasonably attuned to the English language but speaking the American dialect I have not had a chance to acquaint myself with this term.

2nd I hope you have a mighty big loft.:chuckle:

"Look for the woman in the dress, if there is no dress there is no woman."-Coco Channel

if anybody is considering purging, how about putting all your heels in a box, post them to me and I will put them in my loft indefinately.... Then, when you realise what a mistake you have made, or want them back, you can just ship them back to yourself, instead of wasting money on purchasing more shoes/boots....???

Tech, that is an inspired idea! Goodness, it would have saved me a lot of money and effort in past years!!

It's all about the heel!

1st Could I please get a definition of "plonker" I consider myself reasonably attuned to the English language but speaking the American dialect I have not had a chance to acquaint myself with this term.

2nd I hope you have a mighty big loft.:w00t2:

Plonker = Prat / Clown / Village Idiot / Dumbass

My loft is fairly big I guess... Always empty and very cold, so could use some insulation :chuckle:

Tech, that is an inspired idea! Goodness, it would have saved me a lot of money and effort in past years!!

Me too, been there, done that... Somewhere to stash the goods would have saved me a ton-o-money too. Still, its free loft insulation for me, stops the wind rattling about upstairs...

Heels for Men // Legwear Fashion // HHPlace Guidelines

If something doesn't look right, please report the content ASAP!

2nd I hope you have a mighty big loft.:chuckle:

For edification .... definition of plonker copied from www.oed.com

1. a. orig. and chiefly Eng. regional (north.). Something large or substantial of its kind.

1862 C. C. ROBINSON Dial. Leeds & Neighbourhood 386 ‘A plonker’ is an article having extraordinary substance. A piece of woven material unusually thick is ‘a plonker’. 1885 Pudsey Almanack & Hist. Reg. Mar., Sitha Bill at that young woman's improver, isn't it a plonker? 1898 B. KIRKBY Lakeland Words 114 Noo that's a plonker. 1903 Eng. Dial. Dict. IV. 550/1 That turnip's a plonker. 1924 J. H. WILKINSON Leeds Dial. Gloss. 168 Plonker, a ‘whopper’, a ‘plugger’. 1950 D. EASTWOOD Diary 6 Mar., in River Diary 24, I lost another much bigger one [sc. a fish], a real plonker!

b. Austral. Army slang. An artillery shell. Now rare.

1918 Aussie: Austral. Soldiers' Mag. Jan. 3 Fritz was putting over some big stuff. Every time a plonker landed near them, one of the officers energetically fired his revolver into the air. 1920 Aussie (Sydney) Dec. 36/3, I had helped him out when he had got chucked into a shell-hole by a plonker. 1961 E. PARTRIDGE Dict. Slang Suppl. 1226/1 Plonker, a (cannon) shell: Australian soldiers': 1939 +.

2. slang (chiefly Brit. and Austral.).

a. The penis. Also in extended use.

to pull one's plonker: to masturbate; to pull a person's plonker: to deceive a person humorously or playfully; cf. to pull a person's leg at PULL v. Phrases 10a.

1949 E. PARTRIDGE Dict. Slang (ed. 3) Add. 1138/1 Plonker, penis: low: since ca. 1917. 1984 K. WATERHOUSE Thinks xx. 185 Why ever did you bother pulling me when all you're good for is pulling your plonker? 1988 Independent 21 Sept. 13/2 The 16,000 wives in the harem of Krishna used the sacred plonker as religious ------. 1989 Re: Toothpaste, BMG & Columbia in rec.music.cd (Usenet newsgroup) 30 Oct., This, to my line of thinking, is someone pulling your plonker, so to speak. 1995 Empire May 110/1 Mr. Jobsworth realises I'm pulling his plonker and suggests I ‘leave’. 2003 Australian (Nexis) 24 June 13 Most male dogs have a u-shaped bone in their plonker.

b. A man who sanctions sexual relationships between his girlfriend and his male friends. Now rare.

1966 J. GASKELL All Neat in Black Stockings 72 If she'd been my daughter in fact I'd never have let her go out with an obvious plonker like myself. 1970 Sunday Truth (Brisbane) 13 Sept. 36/2 Do you know what a plonker is?It's a chap who shares his ladyfriends with his mate.

c. A foolish, inept, or contemptible person.

1981 J. SULLIVAN Only Fools & Horses (1999) I. 1st Ser. Episode 3. 30/1 Rodney! I didn't mean drive off! What a plonker! 1987 Times (Nexis) 22 Feb., [He] keeps the great lexicographers Fowler, Gowers and Partridge on his bookshelf at home, though Partridge, he opines with discernment, is ‘a bit of an ol' plonker’. 1988 Smash Hits 19 Oct. 9/3, I look at a dress and think because it's fashionable it'll look good and then I go out with it on and realise what a plonker I look. 2000 H. SIMPSON Hey Yeah Right (2001) 69 You're going to look a right plonker when the end of the world doesn't come, aren't you?

------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Thankfully the Oxford English Dictionary has shed its stuffed shirt image and takes its remit to record English in all its uses (and misuses) without making any comment as to the aesthetic qualities of neologisms.

..... unlike the equivalent French organisation which proscribes anything imported, insisting, for example, on 'le fin du semaine' when most French people use 'le weekend'.

Xa

Thanks Cookie & Xaphod my dictionary doesn't cover plonker, I guess that's what comes from being on this side of the pond. I can also see where like many words it can have a lot of different meanings depending on context.

One of the things I love about this forum is the many differant words that people use then having to look them up, I feel it expands my vocabulary. On that I say thanks to all.

T&H

"Look for the woman in the dress, if there is no dress there is no woman."-Coco Channel

unfortunately yes, at least twice if not three times; some shoes I've not been able to replace :cry1: Hated doing it and sincerely hope i don't need to again but afraid that the desire to be with a woman will override my urge to keep the heels. The only thing that suggests that it is less likely to happen, is that I'm now in the local "alternative" / BDSM scene where meeting women that don't have a problem with me wearing heels is already happening.

Ironically, when I started reading this thread, I was thinking about purging from a librarians perspective, however then I read another member provide the definition from the OED, and now reference questions are being answered! And I also learned that from time to time I can be a "plonker" and never even knew it. Anyway, as a professional librarian by trade, one of the most shocking things that I learned in school was that librarians actually throw away (discard) is the technical term more books than anybody else. Through "weeding" a library's collection, it rids the collection of unused, out of date, and "stale", items and makes room for growth of new titles, up to date material, and things people might actually use. In many ways, I treat my shoe collection this way, however I seldom throw them away. This summer, I went trough a major purge. I donated about 15 pair (cheap, well worn, or just awful) to Goodwill and sold another 30 on e-Bay. In some cases, I sold shoes for more than I paid for them. The money was used to start rebuilding my collection, which is back to about 25 pair, and I will let it grow until I have about 50 to 75 pair, then go through the process again. I love my shoes, but after all they are just shoes and I can always get new ones. Frankly, I love shoe shopping and if I find a pair that keeps surviving the regular weeding then I must really like them. I know that there are other issues being discussed here, and yes, when I was young I did get rid of the few pair that I owned because somebody protested or I felt like I would get over my desire to wear them. Apparently I am not alone in that experience. However, that won't happen again...I have learned a lot about me and I like the part of me that really loves heels.

Style is built from the ground up!

I too have purged (and regretted it) based on many of the same reasons mentioned in this post. I have sold some shoes that I decided I didn't really care to wear anymore, but that's a little bit different rationnal. I vow not to "purge" any more and I am a little more selective on my purchases.

• 2 weeks later...

I've purged too, as someone else said I suspect we all have at some time or other. I regretted it as I lost some really nice heels that I've not managed to replace. Now I occasionally get rid of a few pairs to thin out the numbers a bit but am *very* selective about what I let go. As to the question of coming to terms with who I am, I was seeing a counsellor about something entirely different and one session she said that it seemed like I was holding something back. I admitted that I cross-dressed and we ended up discussing it. She helped me to understand that it was a part of me, and that it didn't hurt anyone and that I wasn't doing anything wrong. From there, I learned that I was really only interested in the heels and that I only needed to cross-dress from the ankles down.

Nope, I have never purged. I only threw away a pair of nice heels because I really wore them out, but further than that, no. Then I must also say that my heels collection is very, very small. The reason for that is because I live with my parents. I keep it small so that I can hide my collection with ease from my parents. They don't know about my love for wearing high heels, and I don't know how they'd react if they found out. My girlfriend offered to keep my heels at her place, and if I feel like it I could switch between pairs every so often. I still have to think about that.

I really need to purge or weed out some of my heels but it seems whenever I attempt to do so I find myself battling with the decision to actually do away with them. Even with the lower heels, that I rarely wear (I prefer 4.5 - 5.4 inch heels) I still have a difficult time parting with them. Yes, I know, I'm addicted to heels, but sometimes it's fun to switch from the higher ones to the lower ones, every once in a while! Guess it just depends on the need. Currently I'm running out of space to store them so sooner or later I will have to win the battle. If I ever do part with any I think I'd rather try selling them online but I definitely need to learn more about doing something like that first, before I just start advertising them online. Decisions, decision!!!