Winter in London at last!

Not sure about everyone else but i LOVE this cold weather in London for a change!,come back snow! Last monday i measured 12" of snow on my car in south London,so many people could'nt get to work it was like civilisation had taken a step backwards for the day,people were actually talking to each other and havig fun! i wish it could happen more often that the seasons were just as they were,i hate the mild winters!!! just a note ,could all the people that winge about not being able to get around get off their butts and shift some snow instead of crying that nobody has gritted their road...common sense has really gone out the window...have been to clients this week who couldnt even be botheredto clear their steps but moaned like crap how dangerous it was!!! elbow grease is all it takes!! i'll calm down now...

I just love those suede heels!!!!!

just a note ,could all the people that winge about not being able to get around get off their butts and shift some snow instead of crying that nobody has gritted their road...common sense has really gone out the window....

While no taking exception to your points, I am just noting some linguistic differences in expressions. Here in the US we say "shovel" the snow, not shift it -- because, I guess, we use a "snow shovel" to "shift" it off of our sidewalks. We also say "plough" or plow the streets -- usually using a truck fitted with a large blade (like that on a bulldozer) to clear the roads...then road crews apply salt or sand to them to reduce the chance of skidding -- hence "gritted" --

And, yes, when we lived in Manassas, VA. I have "shoveled" snow while wearing high heeled boots. ;-)

Being mentally comfortable in your own mind is the key to wearing heels in public.

Not sure about everyone else but i LOVE this cold weather in London for a change!,come back snow!

Last monday i measured 12" of snow on my car in south London,so many people could'nt get to work it was like civilisation had taken a step backwards for the day,people were actually talking to each other and havig fun! i wish it could happen more often that the seasons were just as they were,i hate the mild winters!!!

just a note ,could all the people that winge about not being able to get around get off their butts and shift some snow instead of crying that nobody has gritted their road...common sense has really gone out the window...have been to clients this week who couldnt even be botheredto clear their steps but moaned like crap how dangerous it was!!! elbow grease is all it takes!! i'll calm down now...

Funny you should say that, I too had around 12" of frozen snow all over my car too, also here in South London, but I did notice that almost every neighbour in my street was out with shovels and brooms on Tuesday clearing their driveways and the pavements outside their house's

There is only so much the council can do, but I was surprised to see that NONE of the shop owners in our local "parade of shops" could be bothered to "muck in" and clear their parts outside their shops ;-)

Heels for Men // Legwear Fashion // HHPlace Guidelines

If something doesn't look right, please report the content ASAP!

When I grew up in the Netherlands, it was the responsibility of the occupant of a house to keep the sidewalk clean. I have no idea how these things go with apartment buildings. I remember spending quite some time cleaning our sidewalk, even though as children we were not seeing the need for it. Y.

Raise your voice. Put on some heels.

Hi bubba,as to shift ie move,but yes technically you'd "shovel" the snow. Maybe because i live in a semi 'posh' area 'shovelling' snow was not high on the agenda,didnt see anyone doing any clearing til thursday and then it was all women!

I just love those suede heels!!!!!

After moving out of the Kingston area I have seen less snow here on the coast and then it only lasts a day or two. As a child I can remember periods of a week or so uncleared on the side roads but at the most 6 inches, all we got was 1 lousy inch for one day and even then standstill happened. The Tuesday was just slush and sleet. Really boring, all the local kids think it's unfair. To cap it all off the reports say more was due .................did I miss something again Southampton got some, Sussex got some, not us:penitent: Al

On my way to work the other morning, the radio station I was listening to said something about London getting hammered as much as a foot of snow and that they 'London" had never seen this amount in decades. When I was in Germany 1981-1983, the first day I arrived in Frankfurt it was snowing about an inch on the ground. The next winter was a mild winter, no snow. Then to hear about your snowfall, I was happy to know that winter still exist on your side of the world. Here in Ohio we had up to 8" in some areas and in other areas up to 4" of snow. Plus we had started out with the ice storm first, then the snow. (in our area). Walk safely and drive safely, in either case enjoy your new experience.

There is only so much the council can do, but I was surprised to see that NONE of the shop owners in our local "parade of shops" could be bothered to "muck in" and clear their parts outside their shops ;-)

That is probably because if you clear the snow and/or grit and the residual freezes then somebody slips and injures themselves, they can sue. On the other hand, of you don't then they can't as it's an "act of God"...

Graduate footwear designer able to advise and assist on modification and shoe making projects.

That is probably because if you clear the snow and/or grit and the residual freezes then somebody slips and injures themselves, they can sue. On the other hand, of you don't then they can't as it's an "act of God"...

I know, its been on the radio for days up to the point I posted that..

Fine example of our "Modern society" and "How far we really have come"

(In keeping with the other thread on how far we have come :w00t2:)

I could rant alllll day long about how "pathetic" society has become, but I'll spare you the ear bending ;-)

What about all those bloody snow ploughs that throw it all up onto the pavement from the roads?

Sure, clear the roads, by ploughing all the crap up onto the pavements (Sidewalk for U.S)

Heels for Men // Legwear Fashion // HHPlace Guidelines

If something doesn't look right, please report the content ASAP!

While you guys/gals in London are just getting winter we here in St. Louis are starting Spring! 69 F was our high yesterday today they say 50 and tomorrows prediction is for 69 F and thunderstorms! What a mixed up world this is.

By the way is snow common in London? I always though it was kind of rare. Also the same "Act of God" mentality also exists over here in the states in regard to snow clearing and I agree it takes the neighborliness out of life.

T&H

"Look for the woman in the dress, if there is no dress there is no woman."-Coco Channel

The South East of England gets snow probably every year, but normally only an inch or so. London normally escapes because it's always so busy and the snow never lays. A lot of snow fell overnight though so there were some parts that had almost a foot which is unheard of really in London. It was the heaviest snowfall for 18 years. There was a lot of disruption with public transport closed and roads blocked just because we're not as well prepared at dealing with snow as countries which get it more often. When I lived in Madrid and it snowed once it was exactly the same, even the underground Metro was closed.

While no taking exception to your points, I am just noting some linguistic differences in expressions. Here in the US we say "shovel" the snow, not shift it -- because, I guess, we use a "snow shovel" to "shift" it off of our sidewalks. We also say "plough" or plow the streets -- usually using a truck fitted with a large blade (like that on a bulldozer) to clear the roads...then road crews apply salt or sand to them to reduce the chance of skidding -- hence "gritted" --

And, yes, when we lived in Manassas, VA. I have "shoveled" snow while wearing high heeled boots. ;-)

Thanx for clearing that up for me, Bubba; I used to think they put down the salt to help rust-out the car bodies. :w00t2:

Keep on stepping,

Guy N. Heels

Thanx for clearing that up for me, Bubba; I used to think they put down the salt to help rust-out the car bodies. ;-)

It's easy to confuse purposes. :w00t2: Especially in Virginia....

Being mentally comfortable in your own mind is the key to wearing heels in public.

...What about all those bloody snow ploughs that throw it all up onto the pavement from the roads?

Sure, clear the roads, by ploughing all the crap up onto the pavements (Sidewalk for U.S)

And just exactly WHAT are they supposed to do with it? Besides, they aren't doing the back-breaking work of clearing off the pavements, you know. That's for all us poor devils who have to get out there with a shovel in hand and clear it off. (Back into the road??? ;-)) Ain't life great?

Keep on stepping,

Guy N. Heels

they wrote a song about it:

"there's no business like snow business"

or am i going into meltdown....

Yeah, I remember that one:

...first someone comes hands you a shovel;

Then they come along with the plow.

After hours of back-breaking trouble...

But I can't remember the rest of it. ;-)

Keep on stepping,

Guy N. Heels

they wrote a song about it:

"there's no business like snow business"

or am i going into meltdown....

Meltdown - ;-)

I thought the snowball was pretty cool. "Safety Police," huh? Are they the ones who were both misfortunately clumsy as children (as I and many of us were) and therefore feel like they're serving society by prohibiting the fun at which they failed? (which I'd never do - I grew out of my two left feet somewhere along the way)

Those who really care about us don't make a fuss about what we wear. Those who make a fuss about what we wear really don't care about us.

Not sure about everyone else but i LOVE this cold weather in London for a change!,come back snow!

Last monday i measured 12" of snow on my car in south London,so many people could'nt get to work it was like civilisation had taken a step backwards for the day,people were actually talking to each other and havig fun! i wish it could happen more often that the seasons were just as they were,i hate the mild winters!!!

just a note ,could all the people that winge about not being able to get around get off their butts and shift some snow instead of crying that nobody has gritted their road...common sense has really gone out the window...have been to clients this week who couldnt even be botheredto clear their steps but moaned like crap how dangerous it was!!! elbow grease is all it takes!! i'll calm down now...

While no(t) taking exception to your points, I am just noting some linguistic differences in expressions. Here in the US we say "shovel" the snow, not shift it -- because, I guess, we use a "snow shovel" to "shift" it off of our sidewalks. We also say "plough" or plow the streets -- usually using a truck fitted with a large blade (like that on a bulldozer) to clear the roads...then road crews apply salt or sand to them to reduce the chance of skidding -- hence "gritted" --

And, yes, when we lived in Manassas, VA. I have "shoveled" snow while wearing high heeled boots. :lmao:

Hi bubba,as to shift ie move,but yes technically you'd "shovel" the snow.

Maybe because i live in a semi 'posh' area 'shovelling' snow was not high on the agenda,didnt see anyone doing any clearing til thursday and then it was all women!

Let us ever bear in mind that the English and Americans are a kindred people who are separated by a common language.

I know, its been on the radio for days up to the point I posted that..

Fine example of our "Modern society" and "How far we really have come"

(In keeping with the other thread on how far we have come :w00t2:)

I could rant alllll day long about how "pathetic" society has become, but I'll spare you the ear bending ;-)

What about all those bloody snow ploughs that throw it all up onto the pavement from the roads?

According to my understanding, the main reason that London was recently "paralyzed" by about a foot of snow is due to the lack of snowplowing (or is ir snowploughing?) equipment. Moreover, his lordship, the High Mayor (do you actually have a low mayor?) sez that there will be no purchase orders issued for them (whichever spelling you use) because they only have a significant snowfall about once every 20 years or so (that's a SCORE, for you old-timers), and therefore the money could be better spent elsewhere. I, for one, agree with his lordship. For example, the money could be better spent on me! :grin:

At any event, you lot are still doing somewhat better than the lot I saw in Austria shovelling off (that's shifting off, for you purests) about 2 feet of snow from their roofs. :jap: (There's no word on whether they plan to "grit" their roofs afterwards.)

One last point, in most locations it is the responsibility of the property owner/tenent to clear the snow and ice from the strairs, walkways, pavements, and driveways under their jurisdiction within 24 hours (8 hours in some cases). Most insurance companies also require this, as they don't like to pay out claims to people who have fallen and injured themselves.

Keep on stepping,

Guy N. Heels