Why the impractical winter shoes?

radiodave

I'm trying to figure this out. Around here, it's cold and snowy. Not surprising being the middle of winter. So I go into the malls or stores, and women are wearing pumps, ballet flats, and even flip flops! And there will be several inches of snow outside. Even more strange is they often wear them with bare feet (I know, because some of their shoes have peep toes). Meanwhile, I'm wearing my steel toed boots with tube socks, and staying reasonably warm. So please tell me I'm just missing the part where they switch shoes. I would think if they are actually wearing said shoes, I can't imagine how that wouldn't be dreadfully uncomfortable, wet, and probably not too good for the shoes. :thumbsup:

Dave, first off, steel toe's aren't exactly the best winter boot either...LOL Second, I would think (it's pretty cold and snowy here in NH) that the girls who do wear such flimsy footwear this time of year ar only outside for short periods (i.e. someone dropped them off at the front...). I, presonally, like it as I'd hate to always see ugly boots all the time.

Walking in ultra-highs because it's exciting...and it is!!

I'll designate myself as a target for this one.. I like the look of moon boots :thumbsup: It's rarely cold enough to wear them in Florida, but they are comfie and warm.. and come in enough colors you're sure to find a pair that can annoy anyone, hehe. Back to heels, there does seem to be very few choises of heeled boots that are good for snowy conditions. I have seen some wedge boots with a sole that looks like it would have at least some grip on ice, but why those don't catch on I can't say.

(formerly known as "JimC")

Back to heels, there does seem to be very few choises of heeled boots that are good for snowy conditions. I have seen some wedge boots with a sole that looks like it would have at least some grip on ice, but why those don't catch on I can't say.

I disagree:

http://www.hhplace.org/discuss/everybody/12837-walk_icy_slushy_side_walks.html#post196025

... at least, as long as you don't mind that the heels may get worn down rather quickly.

Just shoes? Locally we have many clubs around Portsmouth. The Guildhall area and Gunwharf has more in their respective acreage. I have see many girls on cold evenings with frost forming with barely a toe strap to their shoes, skirts/shorts so short they'd be more at home on their chest and if you could look down their tops,- ah toes! and theses are not extremes, this is most. It's 8 pm and I'm freezing! They will be coming out at 1-2 am! Beautiful as they are without a twitch of a shiver and yet the same day at work with 10 times as much material worn in a warm (very) office they are complaining it's cold! Don't understand:-? Al

Just shoes?

Locally we have many clubs around Portsmouth. The Guildhall area and Gunwharf has more in their respective acreage.

I have see many girls on cold evenings with frost forming with barely a toe strap to their shoes, skirts/shorts so short they'd be more at home on their chest and if you could look down their tops,- ah toes!

and theses are not extremes, this is most.

It's 8 pm and I'm freezing! They will be coming out at 1-2 am!

Beautiful as they are without a twitch of a shiver and yet the same day at work with 10 times as much material worn in a warm (very) office they are complaining it's cold!

Don't understand:-?

Al

Ah, that's an easy one. ....Always remember when it comes to female logic....fashion always trumps comfort. It's a feminine thing. :welcome::thumbsup:

Being mentally comfortable in your own mind is the key to wearing heels in public.

It's the same here. We see girls going out for an evening in sandals etc!

And then again you'll see The Pretties in Spring, Summer, and Early Falling donning THE LI'L BLACK DRESS or THE SKIMPY DENIM DUDS with Leggs encased in stylin' KHB's or even THB's.

~~Go Figure.:thumbsup:

Boots Rock!!!!

My two pair of boots that cost around $200 each have leather bottoms. They're slick as slush on wet ice. I have three other pair of boots I wear in the winter, at $20, $30, and $70. All three have patterned rubber soles that grip slick, icy pavements very well during my evening walks.

Those who really care about us don't make a fuss about what we wear. Those who make a fuss about what we wear really don't care about us.

Kekapa:-) I have noticed that the more expensive boots and shoes seem to have a smooth sole and the more inexpensive ones have the ribbed sole. I pefer the ribbed sole myself for more all around wear. Cheers--- Dawn HH

High Heeled Boots Forever!

Just shoes?

I have see many girls on cold evenings with frost forming with barely a toe strap to their shoes, skirts/shorts so short they'd be more at home on their chest and if you could look down their tops,- ah toes!

and theses are not extremes, this is most.

It's 8 pm and I'm freezing! They will be coming out at 1-2 am!

Beautiful as they are without a twitch of a shiver and yet the same day at work with 10 times as much material worn in a warm (very) office they are complaining it's cold!

Don't understand:-?

Al

I have seen this here in the St. Louis area as well and it always makes me do a double take and it just makes my ;-). And at work short shorts and a tank top in the middle of winter and being the Air conditioning guy I here I'm freezing! My response dress for the weather. "But I'm going out this evening!"

Go figure.

T&H

"Look for the woman in the dress, if there is no dress there is no woman."-Coco Channel

Kekapa:-)

I have noticed that the more expensive boots and shoes seem to have a smooth sole and the more inexpensive ones have the ribbed sole. I pefer the ribbed sole myself for more all around wear.

Cheers---

Dawn HH

That's coz the rich can drive while we have to walk! ;-)

Those who really care about us don't make a fuss about what we wear. Those who make a fuss about what we wear really don't care about us.

My two pair of boots that cost around $200 each have leather bottoms. They're slick as slush on wet ice.

I have three other pair of boots I wear in the winter, at $20, $30, and $70. All three have patterned rubber soles that grip slick, icy pavements very well during my evening walks.

Some things just don't make any sense. Back when my company was paying for my steel-toed boots I got one pair with thermal insulation. So the first time out on the ice the rubber soles ripped right off the boots! Then the real shocker came when I took them to the cobbler. That's when I found out it would be cheaper to replace the boots!! Like I said, some things just don't make any sense.

Keep on stepping,

Guy N. Heels

Women (of all ages) will wear sandals and flimsy shoes for any dressy occasion, regardless of the weather. And that may well include being outside for something more than just a walk from the carpark or taxi. It may defy logic and sometimes be foolhardy but it usually looks good!

The other side of the coin is when women wear long boots either for a lengthy period indoors (such as all day in a warm office) or outdoors in warm weather. OK, it's a fashion thing but, however smart or sexy the look, it always seems a little weird to me 'out of season', more so than sandals in the winter. (Perhaps my view is clouded by infants school memories (c1955) of the several poor children whose only footwear was a pair of wellies - cheap, weatherproof and hard wearing, but hardly smart, healthy or right for indoors. I truly felt sorry for them.)

Because fashion doesn't care about us..;-)

I'm trying to figure this out. Around here, it's cold and snowy. Not surprising being the middle of winter. So I go into the malls or stores, and women are wearing pumps, ballet flats, and even flip flops! And there will be several inches of snow outside. Even more strange is they often wear them with bare feet (I know, because some of their shoes have peep toes). Meanwhile, I'm wearing my steel toed boots with tube socks, and staying reasonably warm. So please tell me I'm just missing the part where they switch shoes. I would think if they are actually wearing said shoes, I can't imagine how that wouldn't be dreadfully uncomfortable, wet, and probably not too good for the shoes. :w00t2:

The other side of the coin is when women wear long boots either for a lengthy period indoors (such as all day in a warm office) or outdoors in warm weather. OK, it's a fashion thing

Puffer, I don't know if you're old enough but back in the late 60s and 70s, women wore stretch knee high boots in the summer with mini skirts and hot pants (short-shorts) - and you didn't hear a peep out of them either that they were too hot!!

It's all about the heel!

Puffer, I don't know if you're old enough but back in the late 60s and 70s, women wore stretch knee high boots in the summer with mini skirts and hot pants (short-shorts) - and you didn't hear a peep out of them either that they were too hot!!

As I mentioned 1955 above, you can take it that I am almost too old to remember the period you mention! Yes, I certainly recall those boots - tight PVC and even sweatier than leather. The look was certainly hot in more ways than one but not as appealing to me as stiletto sandals and a pencil skirt.

By the way, BK, you win the prize for the most consistently PROMINENT postings. (I wear my welding goggles to read 'em!)