Flying Vs. Heels

Tinkerbell

I often wear my heels when flying and would certainly cooperate and avoid turning an ankle and/or puncturing an escape slide on an aircraft during an emergency escape maneuver. Years ago I participated, as a McDonald Douglas employee, during certification exercises. They asked all female participating to leave their heels behind - in the 1980's not as many ladies wore heels as they do today I bet. Getting 300 people out of a 250 people aircraft (DC10) with only half the escape doors open in less than fifteen minutes (actually took about 11) was quite the fun exercise.

• 1 month later...

Sorry for the delay. I have been trying to find exactly where I got them, but to no avail. I do have the manufacturer though (link follows), and will continue to find where I got them if you would like.

http://www.ellieshoes.com/showcase/ProductDetail.asp?div=6&dpt=&ctg=&PROD_CD=8260

I of course found a great deal on them when they were purchased. I beleive I paid $25.00 (USD).

EDIT: This is where I purchased them: http://www.snaz75.com/el-8260.html

I got them on clearance at the time, but even the price listed isnt to bad.

Due to the forum's new formatted look, it seemed that I had not shown any thanks or appreciation for your efforts to satisfy my inquiry about the pink high heels. This post is to rectify that on a more permanent bases, because I am truely greatful for your help, even though "real" men aren't suppose to like pink, not to mention wear pink heels, according to many in our heeling community.

You may not see me wearing pink stilettos while in the procedure of taking a flight to somewhere, but that doesn't mean that I won't in due time. You can be sure in the event of an emergency exit though, I would do every thing possible, within reasonable expectation, to secure them.

observations: 1/ wearing heels onboard means you can join the mile-and six-inches-high club (exclusive) 2/ you've got a better chance of being rescued if you wave your heels in the air than a pair of trainers 3/ cork heels float 4/ one must look smart when CNN film the rescue...

I fly quite a lot and rarely crash, in fact I don't remember crashing at all. Because of this I'm really not worried about having to take my heels off in the event of a crash. However my heels vs flying pet hate is having to tiptoe around at the security checkpoint while they reverse my bag, shoes and coat in and out of the x-ray machine, sometimes for a second look at the bag behind my own. The inconsistency annoys me just as much as the hobbling. I've noticed that in some queues it's not requested that one takes ones shoes off while others do. Some airports it's manditory and some random. I learned a lesson recently while in a hurry to make a connection I made the mistake of wearing ankle straps with tiny fiddly buckles and admittedly too long nails. I had to pass two of those checkpoints in one connection after having already cleared one to get to that airport in the first place. There I was bent double on a bench with my ransacked possessions scattered around me in a heap while the more hurried my efforts in fastening, the madder and redder I got and ended up trying to run with them flapping. I do hope that Mr Obama will deliver us from this bogus War on Terror so that things can resume as normal in a civilized fashion.

I do hope that Mr Obama will deliver us from this bogus War on Terror so that things can resume as normal in a civilized fashion.

Most all of the world share this hope. However, things will never return to the state of ignorant security we once enjoyed. You know what really erks me is there are people in leadership positions that condone terrorist actions in some places. It as if they have no conscience for injuring or killing a person, even one of their own. They seem to do anything that will further their cause. It's sad, the hate they have is literally destoring them and those around them.

Our "free society" in most of the western civilization has its needs for improvement (especially accepting male heelers), but we usually don't have to live in fear for our very lives as a way of life.

Thanks for relating your experience about the airport checkpoints. I kind of understand the reasoning for them, but couldn't they give you something to show at the next point you have already gone through the process and to let you pass on through?

Showing something that you have passed a checkpoint to show at the next checkpoint? You have got to be kidding me. They must have their pound of flesh. They must follow their rules no matter the discomfort for others. All because of terrorists. I understand the need for the rules in some cases, but is one reason that I don't fly anymore, I drive. Then again, I'm not leaving the country either. Cheers--- Dawn HH

High Heeled Boots Forever!

Whether you are flying completely inside a country or a broad, the check points are always there. Even when changing flights in the same airport, they feel you have to be re-checked. I guess we have to be tolerant of those who have decided on the side of caution, rather than using some consideration for accommodating those who have already been processed and have to change aircraft to reach their destination.

Why look at it as an inconvenience??? Look at it as a way to SAVE YOUR LIFE!!! The 'invasive' and inconvenient searches that they put us through are not because they enjoy doing it... well, not all of them at least. They do it to keep the bad guys off the plane. Would you rather have a 2 minute stint in bare feet or a 6 hour flight that has been hijacked or worse??? Being a New Yorker, and having witnessed the towers falling... I'm more than happy to be inconvenienced for a few minutes... Life is precious - especially mine. Read the previous 5 words aloud - it sounds different when you actually say it. Now... back to your regularly scheduled heeling!!!

Men's 13W : Women's 15/16

If checking shoes at the security points is so critical, why is it only done in the US? We do need the security, though. As for the inconvenience/embarrassment, one could wear zippered ankle-boots, or better, just wear low mocs and put your heels in your carry on. Once you're through, go change in the bathroom or other unobtrusive area.

Those who really care about us don't make a fuss about what we wear. Those who make a fuss about what we wear really don't care about us.

Because we're trying to stay one step ahead og teh bad guys!!

Sorry, couldn't resist!

But don't you see, we are responsible for the existence of these "bad guys" in the first place.

These terrible actions of theirs are what's known in our intelligence circles as "blowback" or in other words unpleasant, direct feedback from people who have been oppressed, marginalized or had their assets plundered as a result of various overseas policies conducted by our governments.

They're a very small and sorry bunch and it's not them I wish to blame for having to stand around on tiptoe while some jobsworth security guard scrolls my possessions back and forth through the x-ray machine.

(Sometimes I have to wonder if they're not just marveling at the shoes. Some guys do you know!).

Half of the time they're too busy talking to a colleague about what they saw on TV last night to be able to concentrate on airport security properly anyway.

I can't say I blame them, it must be mind numbing and worse still they never catch any terrorists.

Airport security is yet another manifestation of the western mentality of treating the symptom in stead of the cause and failing.

This is exactly why politics and religion have no place in a forum. As you say our government brought this upon itself (if thats how you see it), but yet countless innocent lives were lost on 9/11. Terrorists such as Osama, have clearly stated that they will not discriminate, black, white, innocent or guilty, they just want to destroy all of western civilization. So you get a bit "ruffled" by security. Its for the protection of all that they do it. I also love how it seems most people that have an issue with how the US government runs things, are people that do not even resid here (and I dont mean just in this forum, but overall). If it means that myself, my children, and the people that I know and care greatly for, are protected, then I say check every bag in every airport, train station, port of call, or bus terminal, a thousand times!!!!! Anyone with more consideration than just their precious time wouldmore than likely agree. I am sure the above statement will be deleted, or will offend some, but thats my take on it. I by no means think the USA is all powerful and knows everything, every country has its flaws, but to blame us for all the issues out there is preposterous. Some one had to play "world cop" and no one jumped at the chance, so the USA did. It also irks me that alot of people say this, but history shows us that when help was needed, we were right there, guns blazing (so to speak), just to be hated for it later. I thank anyone that care to read this, and anyone that read any of my posts in the past, but this took the cake for me. I wish you all the best (yes, even those that hate the USA and its policies).

Amanda Snake and sassy heels, Both of you have valid points in your posts. I don't know all that our governments have done to promote our interest in different areas of the world. Sometimes these interest weren't mindful of or were done inspite of the damage they caused. For these possibly inappropriate actions we should acknowledge our responsibilities and make the necessary restitutions where possible. However, there is always going to be factions of extremist who play upon our governments seemly selfish interventions, to use their devout followers in carrying out their plight for what they view as justice and/or revenge. What happened on 9/11/2001 was a preventable manmade catastrophic horror. We of the so-called free world were living in a some what care free and closed minded society, that thought we were somewhat immuned to the actions of terrorist, who had been very active in other countries and societies. They were busy spreading their attitudes of hate toward anyone deemed a threat or anyone not of their group or organization. With our eyes being opened to the necessity of securing our boarders and our very lives, a system was initiated to achieve this goal. There are some things that could have been done better, but I know that because of this situation, a demand went out to bring things under control to prevent further terrorist acts, immediately or before. Now we kind of breath a little easier as we travel, either within our countries or abroad, because of the security teams that are on the job. Mistakes and improvements are still part of the system, and we have to realize we will have these heighten security check points in our foreseeable future. So, I'll go through each of them to my destinations and I will take off and put my stiletto pumps along with other valuables in the containers to be checked and processed in order that I can feel more secure. Many threats have been directed towards the "Free World" by some very powerful adversaries for many years. They have announced and took steps to bury and annihilate us. As long as each of us actively work together on our responsibilities to preserve our freedoms, these threats won't be realized.

The situation everyone is talking about here is pre-Obama. Everyone in this entire whole wide world knows that since he's been elected President he will change things and eliminate, beyond all doubts, any reason any group has for being unhappy or inclined toward doing "terrorist" acts. So, the only thing we have to figure out now is how to curtail global warming, hug a polorbear and save a whale. And, given the propensity of the British Subjects, I would bet they've already figured out how to accomplish these things. All they need now is someone to pay for it.;-):w00t2::lmao::grin: (don't count on the US picking up the tab....we'll be flat broke after congress passes Obama's "stimulous" package, tomorrow)

Being mentally comfortable in your own mind is the key to wearing heels in public.

The world's economic situation is in a mess and getting worse. I hope the teams that have been gathered to rectify everything can do their duty as efficiently as possible. I don't know if the situation will result in the same complete economic failure endured in the 1930's before we can hope for better. Should we spend our way out of it with money that is becoming more imaginary? Can we cut the income taxes for the people who no longer have a job to give them more spending power? Our national debt has really become such a tightening noose that our posterity ten to fifteen generations from now we still have to deal with it. Maybe it's time for all those executives of high finance and energy producing businesses that got excessive bonuses through their business practices and ethics, which caused the economy to start shrinking from their malnipulations of the system through sly and greedy dealings, to relinguish their ill-gotten gains. I don't know how true it is, but it has been said by some experts that our energy cost shouldn't have gotten so astronomical. The cited reasoning was due to some business malnipulations through assumed projective and speculative possibilities and not from using the actual quantities of products on hand and the actual need for goods to be produced to satisfy demand.

I hear you Histoletto. And Bubba,I agree with what you say. Then again, Al Gore will take care of the global warming and some other issues for you. Amanda, don't take a chance and run in heels to catch a bus or trolley. Don't chance an accidet. There will be any other bus or trolley by real soon. Cheers--- Dawn HH

High Heeled Boots Forever!

I hear you Histoletto.

Amanda, don't take a chance and run in heels to catch a bus or trolley. Don't chance an accidet. There will be any other bus or trolley by real soon.

Cheers---

Dawn HH

I don't catch buses or trolleys.

I was purely referring to having to hurry to make a connection at an airport..

Thank you for the advice anyway.

I think it means you might lose your heels if a crazy event! After that plane went down in the US and in the Hudson river and everyone survived and got out OK...I heard.... the airlines gave each person $1000 for their 'luggage damaged/lost'. for each passenger. It's around the internet (and I heard if you called and complained about your $$ and luggage you got bumped up to $3000). I could buy a lot of shoes and outfits for that, provided, I DID survive and follow 'that chart' that we are basing this chat on.... luvs, Adeana

Does anyone ever Email anymore? Send me one! I like to chat!