Opera Gloves in Public

Thighbootguy

I have always enjoyed thinking of boots as gloves for the feet which means thigh boots are equivalent to opera gloves. I do enjoy gloves almost as much as I enjoy boots. I went looking on e-bay for opera gloves for the first time in a long time and came across a pair that seemed too good to be true. The pair is a full 33” long and in a size 8½ which is exactly my size. I won the second chance bid for $35 (yep, thirty-five dollars). :nervous: The gloves are made of two pieces of leather so there is an extra seam on the inside that runs from the cuff to the end of the index finger that is in addition to the outside seam, from the cuff to the end of the little finger. But, for the price, I’m not complaining. The shaft of the glove is tight on my arm which, considering their length, makes them fun to put on. Also, if my arm perspires at all, it makes them a real challenge to get off. (This is not a complaint, merely an observation.) There is no way I can wear these gloves over a shirt sleeve so I will have to wear them with either under a long sleeve or, for all the world to see, with a short sleeve or sleeveless shirt. Wearing these gloves looks and feels great! This may surprise folks coming from a guy that wears thigh boots with 5” stilettos over jeans or with a skirt but I haven’t become comfortable wearing opera gloves in public so the full glove can be seen. I have suggested to folks on this board that wear thigh boots under their pants, that it is a great waste of a pair of thigh boots, well the same applies to my new gloves. I’m going to have to come up with a look that allows me to be comfortable displaying these gloves. Any suggestions are welcome. :winkiss:

post-928-13352287117_thumb.jpg

I dream of a world where chickens can cross roads without having their motives questioned.

go for it...ive been wearing my opera/shoulder length gloves with my boots and leather for years. from what ive read of your experiences,it should be a logical extension of that type of fashion expose. and if you can wear a skirt and thigh boots in public...i dont see this as bother you at all. ive asked a few people ive come in contact with when going out in my boots,etc what they thought the over the top things were about my wardrobe...not one ever mentioned the gloves...its usually the high heels on the boots or my spiked choke collars. so go for it...looking forward to hearing about the further adventures of thighbootguy...hey...a video for youtube or whatever might be in order,too. by the way...did the germans buy out youtube or what?

my suggestion is that you give up this idea of wearing the RIDICULOUS-LOOKING gloves immediately, and mail them to me. THERE! problem solved.

society has decided that men will be confined to

certain items of clothing, and certain modes of

presentation.

until we rebel PERSONALLY against this, we are diminished!

Well, I did it. I went shopping in opera gloves. :nervous:

I realized that if I could wear thigh boots with 5” stiletto heels, that I could wear anything else I wanted. I decided, for this first outing, that I would go somewhere where I was extremely comfortable so I headed for Walgreen’s and Sam’s. The staff in both of these stores have seen me many times and even offered encouraging remarks.

I wore a gray short sleeved T-shirt, tight jeans, black leather thigh boots with 5” stilettos, and black leather shoulder length opera gloves.

I have noted before that its contrast that attracts attention. The black boots on the denim jeans provides little contrast so the boots don’t really stand out and the gloves disappeared under my shirt sleeve so there wasn’t a high contrast there. If I had worn a sleeveless black turtleneck there would have been a very bright spot where my shoulder was not covered by the shirt or the glove. The low contrast didn’t mean you couldn’t see the boots or gloves, it just meant you had to look to really see what was there.

This trip was reminiscent of my first time out wearing thigh boots with heels, getting out of the car was the hardest part. I had forgotten what a rush it can be.

The first stop was Walgreen’s and there were only a few customers in the store. When I walked in, I glanced at the register and didn’t recognize the clerk and thought ,“Oh boy this is going to be interesting.” I walked through the store and not a head turned, in fact the only person that noticed me was the register clerk! She (young lady) rang up my stuff and gave no reaction at all. She did have to talk to me to complete the transaction and it seemed like normal conversation with no sign of strain.

I was feeling a little better so I headed to Sam’s. Again, I took a deep breath before I got out of the car and walked across the parking lot to the store. On the way I grabbed a shopping cart then headed on in. The greeter, who has seen me many times before seemed to check my boots more than any thing else. With a little trepidation, I walked on into the busy store. No one batted an eye or even gave a second glance. It did seem like more folks were looking through me than at me but that’s a good defense on their part. I wandered around a bit but didn’t feel like pushing my luck too far so I headed to the register and got the clerk that I had the first time I wore thigh boots into the store. Back then her comment about my boots was, “Don’t bother me none.” Today I asker her, ”So what do you think?”

She just glanced and said, “There Ok.” This was not the ringing endorsement I was hoping for. About that time one of my items didn’t scan so she had to get a manager to go back and get the product code for her which gave me more time to chat.

“I figured if I can wear there boots with these heels, I can wear anything else I want.”

“Yeah, your right. There Ok now that it has cooled off a bit. Aren’t they too warm to wear in the summer?” She was referring to my boots.

No there not but I’m normally not wearing them with jeans.” About this time the manager returned and she completed ringing up my stuff. We bid each other a good day.

I headed out to the parking lot and loaded my stuff into my car. The only thing I passed on was getting gas. I was not about to mess up a brand new pair of kidskin gloves by pumping gas.

In the car it was time to take the gloves off which is a challenge because the shaft is very tight fitting. The hand fits better than any glove I have ever owned and the fingers are long enough that I have full movement on my hand. Anyway, getting the gloves off required pealing the glove down my arm because they are too tight to slide down. Once the gloves were loose on my arm I could slide them off my hands. Again, these are kidskin gloves so I don't want to put them under too much strain.

This has been a really fun outing that is going a long way towards getting me past my hangup on wearing opera gloves in public. From a very young age I have loved opera gloves, but have always been stopped by the concept of wearing them in public. I’ve worn them under a coat, but this is the first time I have ever worn them so the full glove could be seen.

Gonna have to try this again.

-r1g0r

Thanks for the kind offer but no thanks, I think I’ll keep them.

-crotchboots-m

Thanks for the encouraging words.

JeffB -

You gotta try this sometime, maybe not in public, because the feeling of wearing opera gloves is too fantastic to miss, especially leather ones.

:winkiss:

I dream of a world where chickens can cross roads without having their motives questioned.

JeffB -

You gotta try this sometime, maybe not in public, because the feeling of wearing opera gloves is too fantastic to miss, especially leather ones.

Interesting. Well, if I can find them someplace, perhaps I might give opera gloves a try. You know me, I'll try anything (thigh boots, skirts) once! HA!

I don't want to LOOK like a woman, I just want to DRESS like a woman!

• 1 year later...

Thigh high boots, skirts, dresses are interesting for what they are but more or less normal. Opera Gloves??? A little more "off the wall" it would seem....much more fetishistic.....:wave: Bound to raise more eyebrows.

Being mentally comfortable in your own mind is the key to wearing heels in public.

• 3 months later...

Opera gloves are great with a denim jacket with the sleeves pushed up to reveal the glove! Works well any time of day or night, feels great. I also wear long gloves while driving in my convertible with the top down in cooler weather. My fav though is shoulder length latex with a sleeveless top but alas they have ripped and I need to buy more!

• 3 months later...

I've worn matching opera gloves with thighboots before. May I suggest a fishnet body stocking under your clothes so that both the arms and legs are covered with fishnet where they enter the gloves and boots.

Shafted, the boots that is! View my gallery here http://www.hhplace.o...afteds-gallery/ or view my heeling thread here http://www.hhplace.org/topic/3850-new-pair-of-boots-starts-me-serious-street-heeling/ - Pm me if you want fashion advice or just need someone to talk to.

Very few women here wear them..it's a pity. I' ve got a collection...(both "closed" and "openfingers") and usually use them to go shopping or parties or simply friends meetings. Heels and gloves are an excelent combination. I shall never understand why the more sexy and beautiful feminine clothes are old - fashioned for many women

Elegance is my second name

my wife actually has 1 pair of gloves.....problem is that she hardly ever wears them nothing would thrill me more than to wear a pear of gloves.........but again......the problem is that mine would have to be open.....and for some reason those dont appeal to me

I've worn matching opera gloves with thighboots before. May I suggest a fishnet body stocking under your clothes so that both the arms and legs are covered with fishnet where they enter the gloves and boots.

That's a really good suggestion, Shafted.

It would certainly look stunning. IMHO

"A man cannot make a pair of shoes rightly unless he do it in a devout manner" - Thomas Carlyle