Facebook

thesnowball

Personally, I loathe sites like Facebook or MySpace. What is wrong with talking to people on the telephone...and...all these teenagers screaming over having 2,000 Facebook 'friends'.....

Oh Yeah? Like...you KNOW all these people well do you? Gahh Phhfftt..!!!:silly:

I use Facebook (very reluctantly) for one purpose only - to send someone a message if all other avenues have failed....(assuming that they are on it of course).

"Good Girls keep diaries....Bad Girls just don't have the time...!:icon_twisted:"

• 2 weeks later...
A woman that I work with has a seventeen year-old daughter. One month (they do have unlimited texting as part of their service), she noticed that her daughter had over 25,000 text messages ... for the month. I know the world is moving at a very fast pace, but sadly the days going to visit with someone and even writing a letter to someone are almost non-existent.

I am on the fence. I often feel like not talking to people in person or on the phone. But when I must than I need that contact. Facebook... Great idea. I have found people I have not seen or heard from for over 2 decades. Also, it is not real life. I would recommend never taking it serious. H.E. Lexus

• 2 weeks later...

Can't. Different worlds, and I cannot yet integrate them. Tech said "Facebook is connected to peoples friends, families and personal lives, and seemingly very few are willing to openly share with their friends/family that they "like" hhplace..." Kabingo. Not dissing hhplace. Just protecting my privacy. I love both.

Those who really care about us don't make a fuss about what we wear. Those who make a fuss about what we wear really don't care about us.

I did post a pic of myself in heels and a kilt from a charity walk "Walk A Mile In Her Shoes".

Sort of a sneaky way to go for a walk, but I support that cause 110%. There are a couple here in Colorado throughout the summer. I'll hit all I can. :smile:

Those who really care about us don't make a fuss about what we wear. Those who make a fuss about what we wear really don't care about us.

Roniheels, I personally have no interest in Facebook or Twitter or messing around with a Blackberry as I miss what it is right in front of me. And the days, for some, of visiting people in-person or writing letter may be non-existent but not for me. Last night I drove to Bloomingdale,IL to visit a friend I have had since 1992. I worked with him at O'hare for 14 years and he and his wife were among the first to ever spend the night here (New Year's Eve 1993) since I didn't want anyone going home drunk. Last night I saw my friend who hailed from far south Texas and had a perpetual smile on his face and was a consistently stocky 220 pounds on a 5'9" frame but last night he weighed only 90 pounds. He has terminal brain cancer and his wife had told me about his sudden turn for the worse. He never opened his eyes but his wife encouraged me to keep talking which I did over the course of about three hours. I held his hand and massaged his head hoping for a glance but alas, nothing happened. This may have seemed futile but certainly not for his sister who had come from Texas and not for his wife. I was glad I went but also know, in all likelihood, we will be burying him by next weekend. These moments could not have been recreated by the best technology today rather only an old-fashioned in-person visit would have worked. There are times, like this, where the old ways are the better ways. I left his wife last night saying; "Nancy, your husband and my friend is at the end of his trail and he is waiting only for the sun to set." All these social media can convey information but they cannot sense what lives in one's heart nor feel what is in one's soul. HappyinHeels but somber this night.:smile:

Roniheels,

I personally have no interest in Facebook or Twitter or messing around with a Blackberry as I miss what it is right in front of me. And the days, for some, of visiting people in-person or writing letter may be non-existent but not for me. Last night I drove to Bloomingdale,IL to visit a friend I have had since 1992. I worked with him at O'hare for 14 years and he and his wife were among the first to ever spend the night here (New Year's Eve 1993) since I didn't want anyone going home drunk. Last night I saw my friend who hailed from far south Texas and had a perpetual smile on his face and was a consistently stocky 220 pounds on a 5'9" frame but last night he weighed only 90 pounds. He has terminal brain cancer and his wife had told me about his sudden turn for the worse. He never opened his eyes but his wife encouraged me to keep talking which I did over the course of about three hours. I held his hand and massaged his head hoping for a glance but alas, nothing happened. This may have seemed futile but certainly not for his sister who had come from Texas and not for his wife. I was glad I went but also know, in all likelihood, we will be burying him by next weekend. These moments could not have been recreated by the best technology today rather only an old-fashioned in-person visit would have worked. There are times, like this, where the old ways are the better ways. I left his wife last night saying; "Nancy, your husband and my friend is at the end of his trail and he is waiting only for the sun to set." All these social media can convey information but they cannot sense what lives in one's heart nor feel what is in one's soul.

HappyinHeels but somber this night.:smile:

This says it all perfectly. Thank You.

"Good Girls keep diaries....Bad Girls just don't have the time...!:icon_twisted:"

Don't have a facebook account, and really don't want one - but it has cost me some contact with my High School folks as they most likely scheduled my 30th reunion online via facebook. Oh well - they knew where I was at, and how to get ahold of me.

All, I recently posted what I thought of Facebook and used the perspective of the experience of seeing a friend dying of cancer to defend the traditional ways of visiting people in-person over the new social media and how the new ways can't quite measure up in these situations. While "pussyinboots" was the only reply I saw I know my post was seen by others. Well 36 hours after I wrote that post my friend died at 0830 (Chicago time) on Wednesday. I happened to see his wife earlier today and her face was bright with relief that his suffering was done and her faith was evident in her tone of voice. I would again say that, no matter how much hype these days, no email or text, or Skype or whatever could have captured what I saw with my own two eyes. There are lessons here for all beyond shoes and all that we normally talk about but sharing it here I think may cause many to perhaps think about visiting someone in-person over sending them an email or giving them a cellphone call as you are stuck in traffic. Visiting someone in-person is a 100% commitment which is the only reason the human race thrives. Think about that. My friend was cremated and his wife told me something extraordinary. His remains will mostly be scattered by his children in his native Texas save for one vial. She said that vial was reserved for me to spread his ashes here in Wisconsin the state he loved to visit after having visited my house many times. NO SOCIAL MEDIA could have captured the look in my eyes at being given such an honor, a first in my 51 years. The quality of all of our lives will not be measured by the quantity of what we accumulated but rather by the quality of the relationships we made along the journey. HappyinHeels (but still a bit sad this night):smile:

HappyinHeels,

First of all, I am very sorry for your loss. I admire the fact that you kept in touch up to the end and have communicated continuously with the family. I too, am not on Facebook or twitter or do I tweet. I am currently working two jobs right now so finding any personal time is quite a chore. But I always try to call relatives that live far away just to keep in touch. And I always try to stop by their house or at least call friends and relatives in town or neighboring towns. I have a nephew in the Army in Africa and when he has been home on leave I always go see him. But I had never written him a letter. Even though he keeps in touch with his family via cell phone, he has expressed that he does enjoy letters he receives. I sat down the other night and decided to write to him. I almost couldn't stop writing and it was so much fun. The world has gotten so much smaller and life has gotten so much faster. We all just need to stop and take a breathe.

Thank you again for sharing this personal moment with us.

The problem with both Facebook and MySpace is that they are now huge commercial enterprises as opposed to purely social tools.

Just about every new product launched these days gets its own Facebook page.....that goes for Movies, Cars, Computers, Clothes and Shoes, Holidays, Music, TV Programmes, iPads and Cellphones....even Ice-cream and Baby Foods..!! You name it - there's a Facebook page for it.

Sadly....it will remain thus, as long as society is driven by greed and social status....not spiritual well-being.

However - back on the point. Human beings are social animals and thrive on mixing with others. When you deprive them of direct social contact, they become isolated, then angry and distressed....just as any animal would.

So - with the best will in the World.....even if Facebook provided the best social networking tool you could get, it simply would never be a substitute for meeting a person face to face...or actually BEING WITH your family and friends...in good times and bad.

I'm still active on Facebook and often post about my Heeling Adventures, although I will restrict some photos and posts to friends I trust. Not that I have many that are likely to cause trouble for me. Most of my FB friends know about the rHeel me. I haven't added many other HH friends but would like to add others, especially other local(ish) guys-n-gals. There's a link in my signature to my FB and another to my rHeel Adventures.

A rHeel Adventure. Liverpool, England - My Story: http://blog.benico.biz/ (I'm also on Facebook)

Point being: it depends on the person. Like, I always find time for Facebook everyday. But I hope (and actually pray) that I do become busy enough to heel out more and mingle at the clubs (that allow me) and do other things Outside of Facebook. Actually, as I type this, the only thing I would want to do with Facebook, at all, is text in my status updates of a regular busy day, etc., and not being able to check the site until, maybe.... once or twice every two weeks. I really am addicted to Facebook, being a teen and all. But like every addiction, it has to be broken for your own well-being. This case, mine needs it desperately! :smile:

Formally "HHDude"

pussyinboots, Thanks for your comments and insight. It is true that the usefulness of Facebook and other social media depends upon the person. All these media, including the Internet, should be considered tools that assist and enhance our lives and not govern them. As you astutely state that human beings are social creatures that thrive on contact and mixing with others is a testament to just important it is to "reach out and touch". Thanks again. HappyinHeels