Flats anyone?

smitty

I know this is the High Heel Place, but I was curious if anyone out there likes flats? Personally, I prefer heels, BUT I've seen some really hot 'n' sexy (to me anyway) looking ballerina and mary jane style flats out there. It really helps if they have one or two thin straps across the top of the foot. They just look like they'd be super comfy and a whole lot of fun to just slip on and slip off! Probably why they're so popular with the ladies.

i admit that some flat styles are cool. such as the slider mules everyone wears and the cool style flats and mj ones etc. i suspect its again because there i such an interesting variety that isnt on our mens boring shelves... nl

I've worn flat mayjanes HeelD, there's nothing wrong with a little variety in one's foorwear, in fact I find that it is better for my feet if I vary footwear from flat to heeled from time to time, and ofcourse if the mood strikes me.

heel d i do like to top pair of your examples. chris100_575 i agreed with your post for ages, if shoes are girly styled it was usually for the benefit of heels, but recently ive come to appreciate how good what i used to call boring flats can look nl

Flats aren't my thing. If I'm going to wear shoes from the girls' side they have to have at least a 3.5" heel. I have one pair of 3" boots that I never wear because they feel too low.

Chris

Yes same here. I have to wear flats to work, why would I want to do it at home?!

Graduate footwear designer able to advise and assist on modification and shoe making projects.

actually i'll take it back...... ive got some wkd white plimsolls with tiny pink flowers and green leaves..... and the matching shirt..... and was asked today where i got them........ (nice !!) okay it was for work, but the look was good.... relief !! got soulmates heels on now i'm back !!

I never thought I would say this, but.....I just love the fashion at the moment of wearing a really colourful dress/long top, with black leggings coupled with a really cute pair of flatty ballet pumps, the feet do have to be smallish for the overall look to be right IMHO. On a similar note, although it took me a while to 'get it' I ended up liking the Ugg boots look, it had to be on a really skinny woman though to work. I dont own a pair of flatties myself, when you have big feet, the last thing you need them to do is to look even bigger in flats. Heelium

Every generation laughs at the old fashions, but follows religiously the new.

I think the Flats discussion has some merit. Although I love heels, the idea was unacceptable to my spouse. However, wearing womens loafers with a heel between 1 and 2 inches was very palatable for my spouse and gave me a lot of confidence of wearing womens shoes in public. I wear womens shoes 90% of the time now after a year (including going to work in an office setting). Occasionally, I do go out in public with 2.5 - 3 inch wedge heels. I plan do go to dinner and a movie with my wife next week wearing 2.75 inch backstrap mules. It is an easier way to become conditioned to wearing heels out in public without hiding in the dark.

Mae, I'm in a similar situation. Although I have a couple pair of women's flats and loafers, most of my shoes are 2-3" block heeled (a few taper a bit) clogs and mules, and I love the ones with backstraps ("slingbacks") also. It's easy to street heel in them, my balance is never a problem, nobody ever notices because they look masculine from the front, and most of all, my wife is ok with them! GWL

Rencetly I've bought a few pair of flat boots and campus boots with about a 1 inch block heel, just too stay in the fashion here in the uk. However, it would appear that taller block heels and rounded toes are making a return much like the early 90's, stilletos are slowly getting thicker and soles are getting raised on small platforms.

Why do we have to conform with fashion??? Boots are the way forward

.... it would appear that taller block heels and rounded toes are making a return much like the early 90's, stilletos are slowly getting thicker and soles are getting raised on small platforms.

Hi Dougal, in my opinion thin stiletto heels are always the sexiest style but not the first choice for a guy on the street. I just found these boots from the new Buffalo winter collection

http://www.buffalo-shop.de/buffalo/urwfilter/catalog/do/action/ShowProductDetail/productId/16949/index.html

They have slightly broader heels, rounded toe boxes and thin platform soles. In my experience thicker soles are very comfortable for daily wearing on the street. I need to visit a Goertz shoe shop. They are offering them in EU 42. Buffalos in big sizes are often a true 43. Narrow but sufficient for me - I have to check it out:w00t2:

I'm open for nearly every fashion style. I love the actual boots fashion over skinny jeans (vintage revival from the 80ies!?) just as the pointy stiletto boots under long flared jeans. But never UGG's, these ugly boots with a quadratic toe box and a mid seam or flip-flops. Every flat ballerina appears to me much more elegant!

The best fashion is your own fashion!

With summer here at last in the UK (but I'm not holding my breath), it is sandal time. These sandals (Birkenstock - 'Madrid') www.natuerlich.de/uploads/Artikel/040793l.gif and close copy styles are very popular with the ladies and widely available from many sources from around £5 upwards; genuine Birks at around £30 seem overpriced to me, regardless of the quality. Why can't we men buy this type of 'neutral' sandal in the UK in sizes above 42 or 43? Flat and boring this style may be - but cool, comfortable and much more flattering to the male foot than most of the (usually heavy) men's sandal styles. But what do others think?

The genuine Madrid does seem to be made in black (at least) in sizes up to 46 - but where in the UK can one buy them - or, better still, a cheaper clone? If imported from Germany, they would cost at least £30 delivered and I am not happy with that!

• 1 month later...

The genuine Madrid does seem to be made in black (at least) in sizes up to 46 - but where in the UK can one buy them - or, better still, a cheaper clone?

I can now answer my own question: Black Madrid sandals in sizes up to 46 are available from Amazon in the UK. Interestingly, they were listed under women's shoes and I found them by chance! The full price is the usual £29.99 but there is a 25% discount on ALL footwear (male and female) sold by Amazon until 14 Oct 2007 - and free supersaver delivery on orders over £15. So, although our half-hearted summer is now effectively extinguished and no cheaper alternative has revealed itself, I think an investment for next year is called for.