Pricey vs Compatible

genebujold

Question: What's everyone's take on price vs compatable? By "compatible" I'm referring to whatever it is that you're most concerned about, whether that be comfort, style, blending/discrete, etc. Case in point is the following shoe, by Pliner, that's over $200 US, but I tried it on in the store the other day and it was a wonderful, snug fit, unbelievable comfortable and stable, quiet on hard floors, and very nice looking. But is it worth the price? I know my answer, but I'd like to hear from you!

Well, I'd say it depends on one's financial situation. If a person can afford to spend $200.00 on a pair of shoes if they would afford the ultimate in fit and comfort, then more power to them. However, not all of us can afford to shell out that kind of money. I for one fall into that category. I'm also a firm believer in thriftiness and have bought shoes for one quarter as much money and have been rewarded with just as much fit and comfort as the shoes gene mentioned. It all depends on how well you shop and what you choose to buy.

I don't want to LOOK like a woman, I just want to DRESS like a woman!

The way I see it: The advantage of wanting only the best is there's only one of that. :P The amount of money I can afford to spend on one pair depends of how many pairs I want. Last December I threw EUR 240 on my first pair of heels. I probably wont buy more for at least a year. It's money well spent. They're fine quality, thin real leather boots, off-size. Exactly what I had set my mind on. Every time I put them on, I think of them as precious, not expensive. Anything less would leave me dissatisfied. I'd end up buying more and more, spending more money in the end.

I have a couple of pair of heels that cost over $200. I bought them because I liked the style and height of the heel. While I like to buy high quality shoes, I usually weight my purchases based on how much I will wear them in public. I will consider paying more for shoes and boots that will get a lot of outdoor wear, because they will hold up better, than a pair that I know I will never wear in public. My wife, on the other hand, buys shoes for me strictly on their style and how much she thinks I'll like them. Granted, most of the time the shoes she selects are on sale, she will still pay more for them that I would. And, I've often returned shoes when I thought the price was to high.

Being mentally comfortable in your own mind is the key to wearing heels in public.

I do like that style of shoes. Very attractive with the shiny buckle and pointed toes. That style, luxxyheels, is what my girls call " dress up" or party shoes. Shoes that a woman would wear with their "LBD" for semi formal-occasions. Or dinner at a 5 star restaurant. They are attractive but I don't think you'll be wearing them very far from home because they look way too nice for sports wear.

Being mentally comfortable in your own mind is the key to wearing heels in public.

I'd pay more for a quality pair of heels that I'd plan to wear more. I recently purchased 2 pairs of boots made by Cole Haan, G-series.. kind of a blend of Cole Haan and Nike. One pair had one slight design fault for my foot shape, but with a mild modefication they are more comfortable to walk in then lower, cheaper heels. Wore my 4" heels while in Key West for work.. but not while working :P I plan to bring them with me while wandering duval street for 3 nights with my b/f and 2 other friends. And with alot of walking you want comfort. Btw, these boots retailed for close to $400.. but I got them on clearance for $60. I also have a pair of slip on cole-haans with 4" heels that retailed for $229.. picked up for $19.50... Quality does not always come with high price when you know where to look :D I've also paid $500 for a pair of thigh high boots that I cannot wear outside of the house. *Grin* but I -LOVE- those boots :P Oh well For me, is quality and comfort worth the price? Yes. But they have to be exceptional for me to spend a couple of hundred for a pair. The value has to be there. Jim

(formerly known as "JimC")

Heh! This reminds me of when I worked at Neiman Marcus and saw some of the most expensive shoes in my life. Chanel, Stuart Weitzman, Manolo Blahnik, Valentino, Ferragamo, Dolce & Gabbana, the big ticket names with price tags as high as $600.00, and women were gleefully buying them up too! It was amazing to me back then. I guess if you have the money, there's no such thing as limits for shoes you want.

Jeff: Actually.. one of my favorite stores is Neiman Marcus Last Call.. when you find a nice pair of shoes/boots not only marked down, but with an additional 75% off tag, the price is usually -very- reasonable. :P Oh yea, one other aspect of pricy shoes.. exclusivity. Chances are most other people will not spend $1000 on a pair of pumps, so there is a good chance your's will be unique. If money is an issue and you want to be diferent that can be a way to play the game. Jim

Having experienced what being really poor is all about -- when we were struggling full-time college students with 2 baby children -- and living on a constant "in the red" checkbook balance, I still analyze my spending in terms of "survivabilities," necessities, and "wants." (Being poor is a hard mindset to get out of because once you've experienced being poor, you never want to go their again) So now, with the children grown and on their own and money no longer a problem, I can't help looking at a pair of very expensive women's shoes that I would like to have and make my "buy or not to buy" decision on their utility -- and sometimes on the idea that "it would be downright absurd for any man to spend that much money for a pair of women's shoes for himself."

I am extremely fortunate that, like Bubba, I do not have money problems and I can relate to his comments about not wishing to be poor again. I have spent over £100 on a pair of shoes from Italian heels but I do not regret it. My wife has three pairs of Jimmy Choo's which in total cost near on £1,000. I have so far resisted spending this kind of money but they do have some great looking shoes and I may be tempted one day. She reckons they are worth every penny.

Heel thyself

Over 50 pairs of heels now on my website at www.geocities.com/wayneheels/

If I tried them on and they fit perfectly, foot, shaft, etc. as well as a style I found attractive, I readily be willing to pay $200 for a pair of knee boots. It is so rare for me to find such a boot, I guess scarcity makes for perceived value.

classic style high heel boots

Jeff: Actually.. one of my favorite stores is Neiman Marcus Last Call.. when you find a nice pair of shoes/boots not only marked down, but with an additional 75% off tag, the price is usually -very- reasonable.

Oh, yeah! I know about Last Call. I worked in the Receiving department and would ship out stuff to Last Call where stuff was marked down to almost ridiculous levels. But, like mainstream stores, their shoes only went up to 11 (I wear 13), so that didn't help me at all.

Being retired and on a fixed income and having only a discretionary amount of income for purchasing heeled shoes and heeled boots means that I tend to shop the sales for my wants. Since part of that income is provided by Mickey, we also tend to shop and make our decisions together. We are a team and we have always done everything together. These purchases are made with the idea that the shoes and boots will be used for their intended purposes in daily life and incorporated into all seasons and all reasons, including fit, comfort, longevity and utility. Cost is only one reason to consider and the item may be accepted or rejected not on that merit alone. Cheers--- Dawn HH

High Heeled Boots Forever!

Recently I visited a local Foot Fetish store and was shown a pair for $800.That wouldnt be so bad if they had looked good but they were the ugyest shoes I ever saw.They looked like they were nothing but chrome.Not just on the heel like stlittoes but the whole shoe.With little straps that held a metal thing in the center of your foot.I was standing there in my pumps telling them no way.By the way, the girls that worked there loved my shoes and were very impressed with my ability to walk in them.One even asked if I would teach her to walk like that.I was wearing 4inch she had on 3s and I did a lot better.They just couldnt stop smiling.The kind for admiration.That kind of attention I do like.They said they wished there were more guys with an open mind like that.So,I asked for couryousity .Would U date a guy that wears heels.She said after meeting U ooh yes.

I do not have kids, but even living alone I've had weeks where I was not sure if I had enough money for food for the week.. Rice is quite cheap.. never have tried ramen noodles. Oh well. At that time I could not belive that anyone would spend $100, let alone $1000 on a pair of shoes. I'm doing a little better now, but I still hold that even if a pair of shoes are the most comfortable, and best looking heels I've ever seen, I will not pay much for them if I do not think I'll get value out of them. If I do not plan to wear them, then I have no use for them. Last night I got alot of use out of a pair of Cole-Haan's that I paid ~$70 for on sale, and even wearing jeans that exposed the heel and Sawgrass mall's new -loud- wood flooring I had nothing but good experiences while shopping for a couple of hours. More on the story in another thread. In the past a $10 pair of pumps from payless that never saw the light of day was fine. Now I'm looking at well made, comfortable 4" boots that may be worn while wandering around on my off time in public.. Although I did pass on a $298 pair when I saw the price tag :P even passed on them when I found out they were 60% off.. Jim

I think that if a person can afford to spend alot of money on a pair of shoes, then looking at the purchase in the same light as buying a car___where the huge purchase price is amortized__ the purchase is not a big deal. I am new to wearing heels and, at this point, can hardly stand up wearing them in my home, much less walk around in them on the street. So I buy the cheapest I can find that appeal to me. Right now I have a pair of Payless slingbacks, with a 2 1/2-inch heel, that I love the feel and look of: I can stand AND walk in these. I suppose that, if I ever decide to go out into the street in heels, I'll buy better quality shoes. Rainbow

In 100 years no one will care that you wore high heels today.

Absolutly nothing wrong with wearing payless heels if they fit the bill. I'm still waiting to find a pair of their heeled sneaker/boots they had on their website. Although even for $20 heels I'd rather check them out in person then bother with ordering them. Oh yea, I passed on buying a pair of 3" pumps for $1.98 yesterday. Didnt like the look, and they were not comfortable. I did recently get a pair of 3" boots from Burlington Coat Factory.. $13 or so.. after 2 hours of wearing them I threw them out since after a little while they hurt my feet. Oh well Jim

I have to resort to either Payless or the internet... our Burlington had like 3 pairs of heels in a size 12 - none in 13 - and we don't have nordstrom here. I know more or less that JCPenney, Macy's, and the ilk don't carry large shoe sizes. Since I don't sit very well with the idea of mailorder stuff (for more reasons than one, but the main one is that I can't try the shoes on before I buy) I have to take what I can get.

Be yourself; everyone else is already taken. - Oscar Wilde

Since I don't sit very well with the idea of mailorder stuff (for more reasons than one, but the main one is that I can't try the shoes on before I buy) I have to take what I can get.

I understand your reticence about buying mail order, but the dearth of size 13 in the stores (including Payless) has forced me to go that route to find what I need. I've been quite satisfied with resources like Sexy Shoes and Designershoes. com which carry larger sizes with Designershoes having double wide widths. As long as you know your female size and know what works best for you, mail order can work.

This is the first time that I heard of Designer Shoes. (Designershoes.com, if you want to go there.) I went there and found that they have QUITE a selection of larger-size women's shoes, at very reasonable prices. Their Return Policy seems very fair, also. Rainbow

In 100 years no one will care that you wore high heels today.

Buying by mail order has been satisfactory for both Mickey and myself. It's rare that we have to send shoes or boots back to exchange sizes, but does happen on occasion. The return policies seem to be reasonable on unworn shoes or boots for a return or refund. Cheers--- Dawn HH

High Heeled Boots Forever!

• 1 year later...

I think the owner's taste is paramount. If there's a particular style and fit that you're searching for, then pay whatever (within reason) it takes to obtain it. You may only have one pair, but at least you have what you want. I wouldn't break the bank on obtaining everything the custom store has to offer, though...

I think the owner's taste is paramount. If there's a particular style and fit that you're searching for, then pay whatever (within reason) it takes to obtain it. You may only have one pair, but at least you have what you want.

I wouldn't break the bank on obtaining everything the custom store has to offer, though...

Well said. I'm more or less the same way. Though occasonaly I do spoil myself.

It's all good. ~Arron.