Actually I have heard kiddie used in that sense - and marvelled at it when I heard it - but as you say it was spoken by much older folk. A bit like some of the classic Australian slang which is so dated now as to be almost a parody of itself.

• Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

If you use fruity computers you'll get greengrocers' apostrophes!

One of the beauties of the English language is it’s enormous palette of words, over a million in all, and the precision with which ideas can be expressed. That is now being dismantled and destroyed by

My laptop is HP - but it doesn't make everything I write saucy.

Posted (edited)

In general mainstream usage, the term "bubbler" refers to a drinking fountain, not a bong. I've only ever heard older folks from the southeast U.S. use the term, and probably most of those people are dead. It possibly is used in the Northeast, but my extended family is from the Southeast, so I only have experience from that region.

Edited by mlroseplant
  • Like 1
22 hours ago, mlroseplant said:

In general mainstream usage, the term "bubbler" refers to a drinking fountain, not a bong. I've only ever heard older folks from the southeast U.S. use the term, and probably most of those people are dead. It possibly is used in the Northeast, but my extended family is from the Southeast, so I only have experience from that region.

Please read this link https://www.royalqueenseeds.com/blog-bubblers-what-are-they-and-why-use-them-n863 .

• Like 1
2 hours ago, maninpumps said:

I'm not saying that the term hasn't come to mean other things in other circles, I guess I should have made it clear that in my personal experience, I have always known it to mean a drinking fountain. Like I said before, most of the people who would have used the word in that way are probably dead by now. It may be that most people's understanding of the word has passed me by. It wouldn't be the first time.

As an aside, I would think no one would be very excited about drinking from a bubbler these days!

• Like 1
  • 2 months later...
On 2/19/2020 at 9:03 AM, Puffer said:

And the (almost traditional) space-filler in the local paper for a rural area: 'New bacon-slicer at village shop'.

Just heard today, possibly apochryphal, from the Irish Times, 'Cork Man Drowns.'

5 hours ago, meganiwish said:

Just heard today, possibly apochryphal, from the Irish Times, 'Cork Man Drowns.'

Which reminds me of one of my Grandfather's puzzles: Where in the British Isles do men weigh least?   Answer: There are men of Ayr in Scotland and men of Cork in Ireland - but lightermen on the Thames!

• Like 1