Your Most (Or Least) Durable Pair Of Shoes?

mlroseplant

I achieved a goal yesterday which would not have been possible only one year ago. I walked 5 miles continuously in heels. I have been taking evening constitutionals in heels for about a year now, and thanks to a handy app on my mobile device, I know just exactly how far I've walked. It may seem kind of strange, but I do record which shoes I am wearing, and how far I walked in them, so I now have a pretty accurate idea of which shoes I like to walk in the most, and how durable they are.

For the record, I've never had a catastrophic shoe failure in my life, with any type of shoe, so what I'm talking about in my personal experience is almost exclusively heel tip (or top lift) wear. If anybody wishes to share a story of catastrophic shoe failure, I'm sure it would be quite entertaining.

First up, my least durable shoes: In first (or last) place, Tommy Hilfiger clog-type mules, with 5" chunky heels, model Two 1419. Both top lifts shattered after only 1.5 miles. I had them replaced with Vibram. It solved that problem (no significant wear after an additional 10 miles), but I still got rid of them for a number of other reasons. Second place, Calvin Klein Brenna mid calf boots, thinner but not stiletto heels. Top lifts worn to the leather after only 4.5 miles. Replaced them with Vibram, and wore them for an additional 15 miles, but I'm also getting rid of these for other reasons, like they're really a size too big, and my tastes have changed somewhat. Also, I do not like the way they sound with the Vibram top lifts. Third place, Aldo oxfords. It's excusable because they are stilettos. I had them re-heeled, and I'm guessing the new top lifts are not going to last much more than 10 miles. Otherwise, they're great. I'll have them re-heeled again.

And now my most durable shoes: I have several to list, including my Sbicca Hutton clogs (4.5 inch faux wooden heel), which were my first really high heels, and have been my bumming around shoes for a year and a half. They've seen over 30 miles without much wear on the sole or heel. I also own several other Sbicca shoes with this same sole/heel design, and they just do not wear out.  However, grand prize has to go to my Sofft Belicia sandals, pictured below. They have about a 3 3/4 inch heel. I have walked over 50 miles in these (including the 5 yesterday), and I've never done anything to them, except polish them. That is the original, from-th-factory top lift pictured. As you can see, it does show wear, but very little for as much as I've worn these sandals. Keep in mind also that this mileage figure does not include any "incidental" miles, such as going to the grocery store, to the mall, or wherever. I cannot believe how well these sandals have held up.

I look forward to hearing from you about how well your shoes hold up, and any advice for extending the life of shoes would be interesting, too.

post-19325-0-16615000-1401021728_thumb.j

post-19325-0-46450100-1401021743_thumb.j

My least durable shoes were also clog-style mules. The uppers had a seam up the middle that split after my first day wearing them. I'm glad I didn't pay more than £5 for them in the sales, and I've kept them thinking that I could probably bend a needle into a curve-shape and try to repair them. I've also had the upper detach from pair of toe-post mule wedges, the insoles shredded to bits on a favourite pair of strappy sandals, and a couple of pairs of heel-tips break (rather than just wear down).

As for most durable I really don't know, I tend to be really careful with most of my shoes (changing into walking shoes to walk long distances or when it's raining) because despite all the consumer "choice" many styles are irreplaceable. If I've bought a cheap pair of heels that are "ok" but I'm not 100% happy with the style I'll might be a little more care-free wearing those while I'm on the lookout for a better alternative. I won't wear them if they start to look shabby though.

If you like it, wear it.

I would have to say my worst pair of heels by far would be a pair of "Cruella DeVille's" . They came from Rose's around 1989 - 1990 era. The problem was the heel split and the uppers split. They were poorly made and only worn about 5 times. Then again for $15.00 what can one expect. I was unable to find a picture of them so I am posting one that is close.

The best pair I ever purchased would be my Nine West Vadims . I have 2 pair of them one in dark leather and the other pair in natural. Never had any trouble with them , These shoes have covered a lot of ground and still holding up well.

post-7601-0-09550800-1401068291_thumb.jp    Cruella DeVille's           post-7601-0-51689500-1401068371_thumb.jp  Nine West Vadim

Very interesting thread you started here, Mlroseplant. My resonse is that I have so many pairs of shoes accumulated over the years, that I don't keep them around long enough to determine durability! I buy them, wear them, get tired of them, and sell them on Ebay. Actually many of them were bought on Ebay, so the net cost is very little. The bottom line is that I really haven't ever worn out any shoes or had any catastrophic failures, and so I can't say that some are better than others in the durability department. Like SleekHeels, I take very good care of my shoes. Plus we don't own any dogs! lol I can tell you this, though. Non-leather shoes tend to deteriorate over time. The plastic "faux leather" in many shoes I've had for a while have cracked or become brittle and failed gradually over time, and I've to discard them to the refuse bin instead of the recycle bin or Ebay. In general, in my experience anyway, better quality footwear lasts longer and gives better reliability, performance, and comfort than cheaply made stuff. But that's true of a lot of things we buy.

Steve

Mr Mlroseplant….  Sofft sandals and shoes are wonderful.  I have two pair, one a clog and one sandal.  Mine are very comfy and durable as well.  

I haven't kept as astute a record of durability as you have but yes, some shoes do last much longer.  And price doesn't always figure into the equation.  I have some "cheap" Payless sandals still going strong after 10 years, and some other $$$ sandals lasting half the time.  But generally the more you pay the better the quality and durability.  

As for a catastrophic failure, never had one, but interesting that you should bring it up.  When I am out heeling and away from home and the car, I have thought what would I do if I broke a heel or sandal strap?  Walk barefoot to the car?  Would be embarrassing, but not a lot of options.  Fortunately that has not happened - yet - ha ha….  Take care..  sf

"Why should girls have all the fun!!"

Most durable : Ninewest ' Pinktop ' booties. For being suede and having a soft bottom, they have had 2 years of use. I wear then 3-4 days a week for a couple of hours.

Least durable : A pair of Steven Maddens. I started a thread on here a while back about them. One night on them and the bottoms were horrific. 

REPEATEDLY ARGUMENTATIVE, INSULTING AND RUDE. BANNED FOR LIFE.

To be honest my Pleaser pumps that I've had for quite some time are structurally sound yet battle scarred. I still wear them when I'm in the mood. I'd have to rate Pleaser high in durability. I'd say all others that I have are second in that regard, but so more stylish.

Oops, I meant Ellie.

Edited by Shafted
Brain cramp

Shafted, the boots that is! View my gallery here http://www.hhplace.o...afteds-gallery/ or view my heeling thread here http://www.hhplace.org/topic/3850-new-pair-of-boots-starts-me-serious-street-heeling/ - Pm me if you want fashion advice or just need someone to talk to.

My Chloe boots. I bought them about 100 years ago and lived and died in them most winters. I have walked everywhere around London in them on a day out on several occasions and they still look as good now as they did when I bought them.

Most of my other footwear don't get worn often enough to get worn out.

Graduate footwear designer able to advise and assist on modification and shoe making projects.

I would have to say that in general I get far more long lasting wear from thick / chunkier heels, which does makes sense for many reasons.  Most of my stiletto heel tips have to be replaced every ~20 miles of wear, while most of my thicker heels and wedges that have lasted years and still look good.

My feet seem to lean slightly outward as I walk so the heel tips on stilettos wear down unevenly (eventually ending up with an outward slope and have to be replaced).  My wife tells me the outward lean in my walk is pretty subtle when I am in stilettos, and doesn't occur when I wear thicker heels.

On the other hand, stiletto heel tips are very easy to find and easy to replace myself compared to thicker heels, so there's the trade-off.