Confidence Booster...

Rockbass19

A while ago I bought some fake leather, knee-high 3.5 inch chunky high heel biker-like boots off of e-bay.  When I tried them on, I discovered the calf circumference was way too big on these things, so being that I didn't spend a fortune on them I decided to try to cut them down and make them more of a calf/ankle boot.  After I made the cuts, I tried sewing/seaming them to create a finished edge on the top, but was not successful.  My sewing machine could not handle the thicker material.

Being that I want to wear them to the M3 Rock Festival this weekend (the story of that experience will come next week), I decided to let someone fix them for me. 

So, I took them to a dry cleaner/alteration place near my house.  I had never been there before, but I just moved to this area a couple months ago.  When I walked in I was greeted by a chinese woman who was the owner.  I showed her the boots and explained what I wanted done.  Her husband then arrived from the back and got involved with the conversation.  Everything was going fine, and I thought it wasn't even going to be addressed, but then she asked if the boots were for my wife.  Pretending like I didn't hear her, I asked her to repeat the question.  She again asked "are these for your wife?"

Maybe in the past, I would have lied and said "yes - they are for my wife."  But not now.  Not today.  I've come too far.  I decided not to hide it...

I smiled, looked her straight in the eye, and said they were mine, like it was no big deal.  I kinda covered by saying I was a musician in a band (which I am), but stated that I do enjoy wearing them.  She and her husband showed no ill reaction and actually asked me to put them on so they could see (and measure where they were going to do the seam).  I was just wearing a pair of regular jeans, but I did as they asked and they actually gave me "ahhh's" of approval, and said they looked good.

It may have been a small one, but I consider it a victory, nonetheless...

I'm picking up the boots on Thursday night and will post a picture of them with my follow up story from the M3 festival.

Wish me luck!

Break a leg! Jk It's nice to have positive response from people. Some ethnic groups are more accepting than others.

Hello, :wave: my name is Hoverfly. I’m a high heel addict…. Weeeeeeeeeee!  👠1998 to 2022!

• 2 weeks later...

Here's how the boots turned out.  Not too shabby, considering they used to be knee boots.  I had them cut down because the upper shaft was WAY too wide, even for my legs.  I was swimming in them.  But, I like them even more now.  They have a 3 inch heel.  I'm not sure how you would describe the shape of those heels.

I DID wear these on the first night of the M3 Rock Festival...so here's the story, as promised...

First, after we arrived to the hotel on Friday afternoon, it was time to get changed.  I wore a black men's button-up long sleeve collared shirt, with the sleeves rolled up to about 3/4 (the shirt has the loop that holds the sleeves in place - it's my usual gigging shirt when my band plays out).  I wore that along with a pair of men's faded black/gray jeans.  And then I put on the boots pictured above.  The jeans covered most of the heel.  The two friends that came along with me (a guy and a girl) approved my look.  After applying some black guy-liner and a small amount of mascara, it was time to head out.

As we walked out of the hotel on our way to dinner, I found that these boots made a pretty good "clack" sound on the hard floor of the lobby, but one of my female friends who was with us was also wearing heels, so I don't think anyone noticed.  I just put on a confident face, looked straight ahead, and didn't really pay attention to anyone.

We decided to go to a local Olive Garden.  We got out of my truck, walked in to the lobby, and got seated.  People saw us but no stares or anything.  On our way out, one of the waitresses complimented my look to which I replied a very friendly "thank you!"  

Well, on the drive to the concert, we encountered some rush-hour traffic, and then it started to rain.  The traffic made us late for the concert, which means, when we arrived, we got one of the farthest parking spots from the venue entrance.  My boots and my balance were going to be tested, because the parking spot was on the wet grass, and the walkway to the venue was dirt - nothing paved.  I thought I might fall, but thanks to all the practice I get at home, I didn't.  

It was a very long walk, up a very steep hill to the entrance of the venue (Merriweather Post Pavilion in Maryland).  I hadn't walked up a hill in heels before but I just took slightly shorter steps and I was fine.  Unfortunately I didn't bring any rain gear, so by the time I got to my seat, I was very wet.  I must have walked by 1000 people, but no one said anything.  Again, the heels were concealed by the jeans, and it was raining, so I wasn't expecting anyone to REALLY notice.

I got to see 4 bands - during the last two, everyone was standing, so I had to as well so I could see the stage.  It was a great show, and my feet really didn't hurt after standing in the boots for almost an hour and a half.  

When the concert was over, the rain had stopped.  Now I had to go down that steep hill, and that was challenging, I took extra short steps, like my female friend was doing with her heels on.  That was probably the most conspicuous I was during the whole night.  Again, no one noticed or commented, or no one really cared...

The Lady Gaga concert next week was to be my next venture out in heels, however they moved the date to a night that I could not go, so we're selling the tickets.  So, my next venture out just might be next year's M3 festival.  We shall see...but I do have a lot more confidence under my belt now...

I'm rather surprised that you just didn't have the boot shafts taken in.

Shafted, the boots that is! View my gallery here http://www.hhplace.o...afteds-gallery/ or view my heeling thread here http://www.hhplace.org/topic/3850-new-pair-of-boots-starts-me-serious-street-heeling/ - Pm me if you want fashion advice or just need someone to talk to.

Yes, Shafted's idea is clearly easier and would have been cheaper, too. But anyway, thanks for the post and I'm glad you had a good time on your outing. Those are great looking boots and the heels aren't really outlandish for a guy. I have knee boots (Clark's Ruby Sparkle) that have about the same shaped heel and I have never gotten comments on them, even wearing them with the pants tucked in.

Anyway, glad you enjoyed the outing and have more confidence now. Way to go!

Steve

I'm rather surprised that you just didn't have the boot shafts taken in.

I'm not one to show off knee boots.  I'm a bigger guy, so unfortunately knee high boots just don't work for me and my shape.  And it wasn't expensive to have them cut down and have the edges seamed - only $20.  It was completely worth it.  I have a couple other "more daring" pairs of knee boots that I will probably have cut down, too.

Rockbass, Great job and honesty is always the best policy in all endeavours. When the woman asked you whom they were for she already knew the answer but wanted to confirm her conclusion. You passed the test. Members of a culture that is over 7500 years old will not be easily fooled by Westerners telling white lies. Glad you got the boots altered.  Thanks for sharing. HappyinHeels