Out And About In Heels - New Places? (Us)

geot

it looks like I'm going to have a "quick" 2500+ mile road trip in the next few days, visiting Des Moines, Indianapolis and Dearborn. I'm going to have one night in each city, none of which I've visited before. For anyone living out there, what are the odds a guy in heels will get harassed in any of these cities? I'm not into cross-dressing (built like a rugby player :() so I just freestyle it - jeans, shirt, heels, etc. I'd have no hesitation wearing heels in Tampa, Miami, Atlanta or London, but I've never visited the more northern states yet. I consulted the internet, but most information relates to the LGBT communities, and I don't really fit into those descriptions. Short version - wear heels in Des Moines, Indianapolis or Dearborn - yea or nay?

Ive been to Detroit MANY times in my life and over the last decade. *I* wont wear heels in that part, especially south of 13mile road. It gets to be quite a rough neighborhood by the time you hit 8mile road.

REPEATEDLY ARGUMENTATIVE, INSULTING AND RUDE. BANNED FOR LIFE.

geot, I was in Indianapolis this past August and I did wear heels out without incident and while I was traveling wearing 2" block heeled sandals with red polished pedi did not receive anything negative between Indianapolis and western New York State, where I live. If you happen to get to the western part of New York State send me a pm and we can meet up. Happy Heeling, bluejay

Looks like I'm going to have a wing man on the Des Moines and Dearborn parts of the job, and since I try to keep my personal and work lives separate I'll only have the opportunity the first night in Indy, and that's going to depend how I feel after over 700 miles on the road. Eh, it was a nice thought though. Going to have to take a road trip for fun sometime soon...

ilikekicks: Going to be in the general vicinity of (but not at) the Ford proving grounds. Is that a particularly bad neighborhood?

Alexis: True that. A gay couple I know well commented that I'm taking more of a chance than they do, since they tend to blend in (guys dressed like guys) more than I do...

@steve63130: Only passing through northern Ohio on I-90 on my way to Dearborn, sorry.

ilikekicks: Going to be in the general vicinity of (but not at) the Ford proving grounds. Is that a particularly bad neighborhood?

Much better area then Detroit itself.

REPEATEDLY ARGUMENTATIVE, INSULTING AND RUDE. BANNED FOR LIFE.

geot, Tasty coffee and safe travels to you on your 2500 mile trip! If, as one member describes, you can wear heels in Indianapolis without any sweat then I'd say all will be OK. Indy is a pretty conventional Midwestern city. Dressing the way you want in nwew places is always fun. Last year I wore bootcut jeans, a polo shirt, a knit cap from Bakers, a woman's strap watch, and my 5.5" wedge sandals with copper-color toe polish as I shopped in Denver's Cherry Creek Mall for three hours. It was a blast! No worries.

Went shopping at the University Park Mall in South Bend Indiana in Black leather platform pumps and womens low rise boot cut jeans. A few stares but otherwise pretty quiet. The mall is off 90 in South Bend. If your stopping near Sandusky off Ohio Turnpike, let me know.

I live in the toronto area. I wear heels everywhere. To the bank, restaurants, the mall. I wear 4.5" platforms heels, and for more formal events, I wear some f**k me pumps. I got that phrase from reading the girls forum. Anything goes in toronto. I'm prertty tame compared to the punks with mohawks and the rap stars with drop down pants. Clarissa.

Outside of some guys being way too touchy feely (seriously, if thats what guys do to women in general I'd probably have punched someone by now) and the general leers I've never really had much of an issue here. Then again out in the sticks of the state might be a bad idea. And yeah, I have gone out wearing some "come **** me pumps" (least thats what they're called around here).

Edited by Shafted
Edited language

Thanks for all the feedback folks. Got back a bit after midnight this morning. 2400 miles... drive, sleep, work, repeat. No time for any fun this time despite it ending up a solo trip. Blah.