A First, And Not A First

Logjam

A first - my first "real" post here. I found HHPlace while looking for information on shoes for "walk a mile in her shoes" - an event announced in my community, but which never happened. But I started reading posts about other guys' interest and experiences, and I got curious. Finally I decided that I had to share the experience others were reporting. I mustered my courage and walked into a local Payless. I was greeted by a very pleasant and friendly young woman who asked how she could help. "Uhhhh.... I want to look at some heels." "Do you know what size you need?" And so it went. She pointed me to the size that she felt should fit me, and then, "Feel free to try on any you might like." I picked out a pair, put them on the floor, and then the nerves set in again. Then, "You are not my first male customer to come in and try on, and buy high heels." With that reinforcement, the ice was broken. I tried them on, and brought them home. I'm not even sure yet what the style is called. For now I'll explore this new adventure in the privacy of my home - unless "walk a mile" gets rescheduled. Otherwise, I don't know if I'll ever wear them out in public. But - one of my learned and oft reinforced pieces of simple wisdom - NEVER say "never". Logjam

Welcome to the site Mr Logjam, it is very nice place. I have worn women's shoes since I was a teen, and high heels since around 1996. It takes some time (and courage) to actually get out in public, especially since there doesn't seem to be a lot of guys who actually wear heels (or women's shoes) in public. I have only seen one other guy in gals shoes, flats - so it can be "lonely" life. The Walk a Mile in Her Shoes event is a good place to get out in public in heels for a good cause, and have some fun. Payless is a good place to start, they generally have nice looking shoes in larger sizes, and the staff is very helpful and understanding. Good luck, and take care... sf

"Why should girls have all the fun!!"

Welcome to this forum, Logjam. Well done so far! Payless is a good place to shop. Make sure you get online and send them feedback as to how good the customer service was. I hope you got the sales associate's name so you can visit again and develop a good customer relationship with her. Contacts like that can be valuable when you want to be notified of sales and promotions, and if you ever have a problem with your purchase. And it's a good idea, in my opinion, to get online, find the shoes you bought, and write a review, mentioning just in passing that you're a fashion forward guy. If you ever do want to start wearing heels in public, this forum will provide great support in helping you to overcome the demons in your head about it. Steve

Welcome aboard, Logjam! Hope you enjoy the experience! You've taken that all important first step into a much larger world, and with each subsequent step you take, the more aware you become of the joys associated with what I call "Our Unique Passion".

I don't want to LOOK like a woman, I just want to DRESS like a woman!

Welcome, thanks for posting, and well done for daring to challenge yourself Logjam, you certainly couldn't have found a better sales assistant. I can only hope that male sales assistants in hardware stores treat their female customers with the same dignity and respect. I think our adventures into "female" territory can also teach us a thing ot two about how women feel in a "male" territory (most guys are usually too egocentric to even consider that). I hope you get another chance to make it to one of those "walk a mile" events soon.

If you like it, wear it.

First - thanks to ALL for the comments and encouragement! Steve63130 - good thought on the feedback. Also, as to the young woman - we struck up a brief conversation as she was ringing up the sale. She told me that was her last day at Payless as she was leaving for a better paying full-time job. Payless' loss, I'd surmise. In case anyone cares - the shoes: Style name "Hydee", black patent, peep-toe, sling back, about a 4" wedge heel, minimum platform. Aside from about 5 minutes when I got home with them, still no wear time. Things have been very busy for me - several long days at work, a class, etc. Best wishes to all! Logjam

Logjam, Welcome to our den! Payless is a good place to start. I don't stop by much but did just buy two pairs there recently. One was a pair of black suede wedges (closed toe) with 5" heels which I wore into the store the next day while locating a shoe that looked remarkably similiar to a slingback wedge I had gotten in neutral last year at a Steve Madden store. It turns this shoe, a black wedge sandal with a 5" heel is marketed under the name "Brash" and is fact Steve Madden for Payless. That's exactly the way the girl put it. She noticed immediately that I had heels on owing to the different walk but was impressed with well I did. Like others say here, wearing heels will be become so normal you'll feel strange NOT having them with you. It is just a matter of time and adjustment. Nice job! Other welcoming shoe stores are DSW, Bakers, Aldo, and Macy's. If you have a Nordstrom Rack anywhere near you...OMG that place is like a shoe shopping Disneyland. Just wear something that's easy off/easy on because you'll try lots of shoes on in very little time. HappyinHeels