men wearing heels in belfast

Rick24

From this and other posts from Rick24 I suspect he is looking for support of his hesitancy to wear heels in public, especially in Ireland. Having never been to Ireland I can not offer experienced advice. On the other hand, I live in a major metropolitan area in the USA and I have never seen another guy wearing heels. There are parts of the world where social norms have stronger adherence and are more rigidly enforced through social pressure. On the other hand, there are folks that are more strongly influenced by the same social pressure. I wear thigh boots with stiletto heels in public, but there are places I would not go while wearing them because the people there would not tolerate such a radical departure from their concept of the social norm. If you are going to push back against the prevailing definition of accepted appearance, you have to have some idea of the strength of the opposition you will face and temper your actions accordingly. There is no sense in banging you head against the proverbial brick wall, but sometimes you can move a few brick at a time. Rick24, if you want to wear heels I suggest you start modestly with boots with a low block heel worn under your pants. As your confidence grows you will project a more confident image and that is a major step in having others accept something out of their norm. Also as your confidence grows you can expand into a more challenging heel. TBG

I dream of a world where chickens can cross roads without having their motives questioned.

Well said TBG Rick24 you'll get lots of support here. I've not been to Belfast either but it's fairly large right? You have advantage over me re anonymity etc. Read the threads here about starting to street heel. Good luck and have fun.

"You put high heels on and you change" M. Blahnik

Rick24, Nice to have you here with us on the forum. Thighbootguy has written volumes about this topic as evidenced by the 300,000 views on the thread he started which is equivalent to to three stadiums the size of the one in Dallas that hosted the SuperBowl last year! It is normal for you to be fearful as you believe you are stepping into forbidden territory. Ask yourself, "forbidden by whom?" Your level of confidence, as measured by the respect you have for yourself, is directly commensurate with your ability to express yourself in the world around you. It is the difference between skiing the green or blue slopes and that day you want to try the blue/black slope. The difference in public speaking between talking to a crowd and commanding a crowd's attention. The world see different things on the street everyday and responds best to those who project confidence. Do as TBG suggest, start with black or brown boots with a lower block heel under your jeans and then step out there. The key here is to not act nervous and withdrawn. There are people here who regularly wear skirts and carry purrses, whilst clearly appearing as men, who don't suffer at all from the "bogeyman waiting in the alley" because they project the confidence to negate the naysayers. Confidence is the driver of creativity and liberty. Step out there and do so knowing you have the support of thousands of like-minded people. It's YOUR life...time to start living on YOUR terms. HappyinHeels

Go to a busy place making sure there are plenty of people around. They're so busy dodging each other they won't notice. Go to a quiet place where people have more time to look at each other and they will notice for sure. Think about it, how often do you notice other guys' footwear in a busy shopping centre vs. in a quiet back street?

Graduate footwear designer able to advise and assist on modification and shoe making projects.

Thighbootguy, HappinHeels, and Dr. Shoe offer some very good advice. Like I tell anyone who is nervous about heeling in public, take it easy, take it slow. It's not a competition. It's about having fun. And don't worry what other people may think or react to you. The "negative" people could probably find something wrong with anyone over any little thing.