Size Conversion..

ilikekicks

I have seen HUGE differences in many brands when converting from European to US womens sizes. Most say a EU40=USW10. I can wear a EY42 in some brands ( Aldo ) a 41 in Guess and a 40 in NineWest. How about UK sizes? Do they variate as much as others? My Sketchers sneakers which are a US10 say they are a UK7, EU40.. I found a pair of victorian-type ankle boots I'm looking at for halloween and was wondering what size to order. They are made by Dolce & Gabbanna..

post-30256-133522956873_thumb.jpg

REPEATEDLY ARGUMENTATIVE, INSULTING AND RUDE. BANNED FOR LIFE.

Those boots are gorgeous ilikekicks! Can't help you with sizing though.

Shafted, the boots that is! View my gallery here http://www.hhplace.o...afteds-gallery/ or view my heeling thread here http://www.hhplace.org/topic/3850-new-pair-of-boots-starts-me-serious-street-heeling/ - Pm me if you want fashion advice or just need someone to talk to.

A UK7 is indeed a EU40. However, some manufacturers are more generous than others in their sizing which means that you can get into some 40s and in other brands you need a 41. Certain styles you might get away with a 39. Vendors tend to muddy the waters by taking the generosity of sizing into account and say that a 40 is a size 8 and others may make their 8s 42 when it should be a 41. No, the EU sizing system does not have width sizing so the width is an intrinsic function of the size. This means that men's shoes tend to have a higher EU number for the size (8s are 42s etc.) than women's where 8s are 41. This means if you have an unusually long thin foot or a short broad foot you could end up in the same EU size even though one might be a 6D and the other a 8AA. You will sometimes see Italian footwear shown as 39B for example but this is for the American market where many customers cannot get their head around the fact that some sizing systems don't include a letter.

Graduate footwear designer able to advise and assist on modification and shoe making projects.

Dr Shoe, I think the difference is that we europeans are not so used to buying our shoes on the internet, since this service has been available in large bandwidth only for a few years. Except extra big or small footed people, the vast majority of us are still trying our shoes in retail stores, thus the size is only a predictive indicator, and it does not matter if a 40 run small as far as you can try the 41 just next to it on the shelf.

Matalan size their 8 as a 42 often a good or generous toebox, just to give a twist to their rule the loafers I have are a touch short. Most I've found (8/41) vary certainly with widths across the widest part of the foot and correspondingly into the the toe area. Hugely disappointing when it's something so "beautiful" is just a squeeze too much, my Chris has unfortunately fat feet, so slim elegant styles often do not work :), So so frustrating! I've just given away a pair of mine to my daughter in law - too narrow to wear even for ten minutes. I think in the UK only Clarks maintain a width fitting? Al

I have narrow feet. Mens sneakers are just way to wide. I literally had a pair of Mike Athletic sneakers that I shut the laces over the tongue on. I havent bought as pair of ' mens shoes ' in about 5 years as they are just like land yachts taking up both lanes on my feet :) I ordered those boots, They should be here on the 17th. If they dont fit, I still have time to hit the local places to obtain something that will work. I might just wear the Aldo's I wore last year with the flat bottoms and ankle cuffs.

REPEATEDLY ARGUMENTATIVE, INSULTING AND RUDE. BANNED FOR LIFE.

I sometimes see people convert EU42 to USW12, which I think is just ridiculous. In my experience, EU42 = UK8 = USW10. Of course there are often huge variations between manufacturers, which is a shame, but it's just way the world is unfortunately!

• 10 months later...

Matalan size their 8 as a 42 often a good or generous toebox, just to give a twist to their rule the loafers I have are a touch short. Most I've found (8/41) vary certainly with widths across the widest part of the foot and correspondingly into the the toe area. Hugely disappointing when it's something so "beautiful" is just a squeeze too much, my Chris has unfortunately fat feet, so slim elegant styles often do not work :), So so frustrating! I've just given away a pair of mine to my daughter in law - too narrow to wear even for ten minutes. I think in the UK only Clarks maintain a width fitting? Al

No, there are several other brands that care about shoe width and larger sizes, like New Look, Next and Evans for example.

I sometimes see people convert EU42 to USW12, which I think is just ridiculous. In my experience, EU42 = UK8 = USW10. Of course there are often huge variations between manufacturers, which is a shame, but it's just way the world is unfortunately!

In my experience, EU43 = UK9 = US11.5. That quite matches with yours.

In my experience, EU43 = UK9 = US11.5. That quite matches with yours.

This relates to what I went to post the other day. What I said was in part that EU sizes could better represent unisex shoes as that gets away from that stupid men 9 women 11. Then the only legitement distinction between him shoes and her shoes would be the width. Like I would need a 43 narrow and a man would need a 43 wide.

So far my purchases in US online shops 11W 1 fit perfect, 1 bit too long, some sites translate this to size 43 eur, however when i went to buy some shoes at Deichmann size 43 shoes (male ones) were too big for me, sandals even 42 can be too big still. I wish they were selling wide width high heels here too -.- I noticed not long ago, there are some women whose foot flows off the shoe's width. It doesn't look too nice, not to mention ruins both the foot and the shoes too.

Don't worry, be happy - in heels! :rocker:

This relates to what I went to post the other day. What I said was in part that EU sizes could better represent unisex shoes as that gets away from that stupid men 9 women 11. Then the only legitement distinction between him shoes and her shoes would be the width. Like I would need a 43 narrow and a man would need a 43 wide.

Not to mention Japanese sizes which is the best system in my opinion: the feet length in centimeters. How could it be more simple ?

Not to mention Japanese sizes which is the best system in my opinion: the feet length in centimeters. How could it be more simple ?

I thought that centimeters was the standard for European sizing. Am I wrong?

Being mentally comfortable in your own mind is the key to wearing heels in public.

I'd always assumed that EU sizes are in quarters of an inch, probably just because I'm a size 41EU ≈ 10¼ inches. However, apparently they're based on something called the "Paris point" which is ⅔cm (just larger than a quarter of an inch). That's according to http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shoe_size which also has a handy size conversion chart near the bottom of the article.

Edited by SleekHeels

If you like it, wear it.

Well I went in a shoe store (low cost) with 3 or 4 brands. A whole alley of boxes of the same color so all the shoes of the same brand, yet a great number of diffrent models. I tried a first one in size 43. It fits. I tried a second one in size 44. It looks like a 41. It fits like a 41. Even in the same brand they are not able to build shoes with a consistent size label VS actual size of the shoe.

I have noticed that 'the same brand' is often not te same at all. I have seen the same shoes in different shops with the brandname of the shop on them. Probably they buy from the same supplier and then have the option to put their name on them. And they do that with shoes from different manufacturers, probably without checking too much. You also see the same shoes with completely different prices. Example: http://www.cinderella.nl/cinderella-17-011-087-1463.html I saw the same one at Dr.Adams for 129.95 and they do not sell the cinderella brand.... Y.

Raise your voice. Put on some heels.

I have noticed that 'the same brand' is often not te same at all.

It is likely that the brand used different lasts in multiple shoes they produce. Or they may have different manufacturers for different types of shoes or who knows. Trying them on is the only real way to know. I've some shoes that are size 9 that are almost spacious. Others I would have to break my toes off to wear with less pain.

Would be nice if we got the shoe's actual inside measurements and width in anything (preferably the actual circumference of the last used to make it in say Imperial or Metric lengths.

But it is what it is.

• 2 weeks later...

I bought a pair of boots from a vintage store. They were made in argentina. With a size 8. I usually take a size 10 womens usa size. Is this size 8 the same as a mens american size 8?

I bought a pair of boots from a vintage store. They were made in argentina. With a size 8. I usually take a size 10 womens usa size. Is this size 8 the same as a mens american size 8?

In general terms yes a us mens 8 is approximately a us womens size 10. In reality though it is highly dependent on your foot and the shoe/boot.