So then, what's accurate?

ChipsHH

I took a visit to Payless the other day, because I had spare time and all. And I also wanted to see what they had in stock. I went there, went to the size 12 Women's section of the store, and started trying on a few, people paying not much mind (except this old lady....creepy). As I tried a pair of wedges on, I noticed that they felt a little big on the foot, because they would slide out as I walked. So then, I decided to move down a size and try the same wedge on. Here, it felt kinda tight, and I was kinda wondering why. It should have a good fit with a 12, but it didn't. The 11 just ended up feeling tight. Has anyone else had this happen to them? I even tried on a pair of flats, and the same result happened. I was mainly there for a new pair of flats to walk to places in. Which was my other question: Are flats suppose to work differently in terms of size, and maybe comfort as well?

Formally "HHDude"

Accuracy and consistency in labeling are not concepts I'd associate with sizing of any women apparel. That’s why it's best to try it (whatever it is) on. I don’t know about flats but with 5" heeled boots I normally go up at least one additional size (13 to 14) and even then I had to return a pair of boots that were too small.

I dream of a world where chickens can cross roads without having their motives questioned.

There is one and only one way to get an accurate fit. Try it on. That's it. Sizes and sizing systems are so crazy -- especially if you are converting from one system to another -- that shoe sizes are only a guideline at best. If you wear a "12" you can be fairly certain you won't get into a "9" but that's about all. There's no guarantee that those lovely size 12 boots you saw on Zappos will fit. Try 'em on and half the time you'll send them back in disappointment. It's a bugger.

Have a happy time!

There seems to be no one standard way of making a shoe size, so as has been said, the best measurement is just to try it on and see how it feels on you. But then again........that is part of the fun of shoe shopping, isn't it? :)

SQ.....still busting societal molds with a smile...and a 50-ton sledge!

There seems to be no one standard way of making a shoe size, so as has been said, the best measurement is just to try it on and see how it feels on you.

But then again........that is part of the fun of shoe shopping, isn't it? :)

I couldn't agree more! Show sizing is pretty much a hit or miss proposition. I've always found that if you go for a woman's shoe size that's at least one, perhaps two sizes larger than your male size, chances are you'll find something that will fit well. And ALWAYS go for a wide size if you can find it for optimum comfort.

I don't want to LOOK like a woman, I just want to DRESS like a woman!

There seems to be no one standard way of making a shoe size, so as has been said, the best measurement is just to try it on and see how it feels on you.

But then again........that is part of the fun of shoe shopping, isn't it? :)

The male heeler's creed: "Try before you buy....or be darn sure the store where you buy your heels has a liberal, no questions asked return policy." :)

Being mentally comfortable in your own mind is the key to wearing heels in public.

I normally wear a size 12 (ellie/pleasers) in a feminine shoe. But the shoes I have bought at Payless in the past, a size 11 fits comfortably for me. I have one pair of peep-toe pumps that are actually a size 10 and they fit well. It depends on the shoe. That's why you need to try them on. This is a key reason for that.