stilettos in the snow

euchrid

We've had some attrocious weather in the UK over the past 3-4 days.

----- far more snow than we're used to and so bad in some areas that people have been unable to get home from work & are having to cancel their xmas travel plans.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-1238128/Big-freeze-threat-family-Christmas-As-death-toll-hits-16-millions-warned-stay-roads-jeopardising-festive-gatherings.html

Despite this chaos, I am still seeing many women out-and-about in stilettos during the day. On Monday, I saw one woman struggling up a steep snow-covered path in her best office-wear 4" pencil heeled courts!

Saw a couple of girls yesterday walking around in stiletto heeled boots as if they were at a disco rather than in a snowstorm.

It seems a bit mad if you ask me - surely most women would welcome an opportunity like this to leave their impractical & uncomfortable footwear at home.

But it's somehow a wonderful thing to see: Their refusal to put practicalities (and risk of injury!) ahead of fashion.

So, a question to the stilettos-in-snow ladies: Why do you do it?

A question to the guys: Have you noticed this phenomena yourselves & would you risk it?

Always High-Heel Responsibly

...A question to the guys: Have you noticed this phenomena yourselves & would you risk it?

I wouldn't risk it. Doesn't help that I'm maybe a notice in heels (probably less in stilletto heels). I went out yesterday in my 4 1/2" chunky heel ankle boots, which include a decent tread pattern on the sole, and still had problems on ice. Maybe if you're a person who's been wearing heels regularly for years (if not decades), you know what how to handle them.

But as you mention, if you're a fan of heels, you really need to appreciate women who are still willing to wear them in challenging weather. Last thing (HHP'ers) is a 'blackout' during inclement weather, where the spiked heels go away, and everyone is wearing Uggs :cry1:

----- far more snow than we're used to and so bad in some areas that people have been unable to get home from work & are having to cancel their xmas travel plans.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-1238128/Big-freeze-threat-family-Christmas-As-death-toll-hits-16-millions-warned-stay-roads-jeopardising-festive-gatherings.html

Despite this chaos, I am still seeing many women out-and-about in stilettos during the day. On Monday, I saw one woman struggling up a steep snow-covered path in her best office-wear 4" pencil heeled courts!

Saw a couple of girls yesterday walking around in stiletto heeled boots as if they were at a disco rather than in a snowstorm.

It seems a bit mad if you ask me - surely most women would welcome an opportunity like this to leave their impractical & uncomfortable footwear at home.

But it's somehow a wonderful thing to see: Their refusal to put practicalities (and risk of injury!) ahead of fashion.

A question to the guys: Have you noticed this phenomena yourselves & would you risk it?

Mad why? I wear stilettos always even in the snow. Today I was out walking whith my kids in 5 inch heels boots I dont see why you not should wear highheels in the snow

• Like 2

I couldn't agree more. I often wear stilettos in snow or ice - in fact the steel tips I have on them cut into the ice and give me more purchase. It's not the heels that are the problem, it's the shiny leather soles that slip.
  • Like 1

"Good Girls keep diaries....Bad Girls just don't have the time...!:icon_twisted:"

Not only have I "risked it" but here's the boots themselves! These are Nine West black leather "Gallivant" boots, 4 inch heel.

post-9697-13352289931_thumb.jpg

It's all about the heel!

?

Stilettoes in snow? I love it. I have a pair of 5inch stilettoe ankle boots with steel tips and commando soles. They are GREAT on ice, hard packed snow and even on icy cobbles as we have here in Edinburgh. I get admiring glances from both girls & boys. It gives me a great feeling being able to walk without difficulty when people in flatties are sliding around and falling over. The steel-tipped heel really gives me the stability and grip I need. I do not think that high platforms would be as easy to use, but I may try it if I can find some with commando soles

The main reason I wouldn't wear stilttoes is because snow usually ruins them, as does heavy rain. I also don't wear my other decent clothes in the rain or snow for the same reason. I know, I'm too hung up on things like this lol.

It's my opinion, no more, no less :wave:

I spent a couple of days in Calais, France, at the beginning of the week and took the opportunity, despite the icy conditions, to wear a pair of 5" heels to cross the car park from my motel room to the dining area for breakfast. I have to admit to being a little apprehensive about it but I wasn't going to pass up the chance for heels, androgynous clothing and make-up. I did chicken out of wearing the miniskirt though!

I have been in deep snow several times in stiletto heels and had no problems at all. And I had the cold wind blowing up the dress that I had on and against my pantyhose. Quite a thrill to be sure. The heels and arch give you great traction when the snow packs under them. Cheers--- Dawn HH

High Heeled Boots Forever!

The main reason I wouldn't wear stilttoes is because snow usually ruins them, as does heavy rain. I also don't wear my other decent clothes in the rain or snow for the same reason. I know, I'm too hung up on things like this lol.

No, actually you have a good point. But if you take good care of your high heels, you can brave almost any element and they should last for a long time.

Nahhh! Not my thing. As a rule, I never wear heels in any sort of wet weather, be it rain or snow. To paraphrase the late, semi-great Johnnie Cochran, "If the streets ain't dry, then my heels ain't high"! Besides, getting residue from salt on boots isn't worth the effort to go out in the snow. Like loswabs, I wouldn't want to damage, perhaps ruin my footwear by wearing same in wet weather.

I don't want to LOOK like a woman, I just want to DRESS like a woman!

I quite agree with what Loswabs and JeffB says. But if you keep your heeled boots and heeled shoes clean and polished, the rainy weather and snow won't hurt them a bit and they will last you for several years depending on how often you wear them. Of course I realize that all things eventually wear out. It is a throw away world that we lve in. I tend to make things last longer than most people do. Being a CD through the years I tended to stay up on the latest fashions as any girl would do and when their fashions changed, I would purchase the new items and wear them as they did. One of the items was a pair of clear rubber boots for rain and snow that were shape to fit the stiletto heeled shoes. This was before heeled boots came into existance. They were very stylish and very comfortable and kept your feet wrm and dry and happy in your stylsh stilettos which could be partially seen through the rubber boot so everyone could see if your heels were patent or what color they were. They had a stretchy loop so that when you had them on a flap came accross your ankle to the outside of the boot and looped over a clear button to keep them closed. It was a very sexy feeling slipping these boots over your stilettos when putting them on, but when taking them off sometimes your shoe came off too because of the slippiness of your hose. This was tlso the era before pantyhose and your hose were hooked to your girdle. What a feeling that was. Also you wore hose with seams and the hose was made to the shape of your leg before you put them on.. I had a pair and wore them as any girl would when out dressed. I was always the height of feminine fashion. And then the fashion boot cam in, but that is a story for another time. Cheers--- Dawn HH .

I quite agree with what Loswabs and JeffB says. But if you keep your heeled boots and heeled shoes clean and polished, the rainy weather and snow won't hurt them a bit and they will last you for several years depending on how often you wear them. Of course I realize that all things eventually wear out. It is a throw away world that we lve in. I tend to make things last longer than most people do.

Being a CD through the years I tended to stay up on the latest fashions as any girl would do and when their fashions changed, I would purchase the new items and wear them as they did. One of the items was a pair of clear rubber boots for rain and snow that were shape to fit the stiletto heeled shoes. This was before heeled boots came into existance. They were very stylish and very comfortable and kept your feet wrm and dry and happy in your stylsh stilettos which could be partially seen through the rubber boot so everyone could see if your heels were patent or what color they were. They had a stretchy loop so that when you had them on a flap came accross your ankle to the outside of the boot and looped over a clear button to keep them closed. It was a very sexy feeling slipping these boots over your stilettos when putting them on, but when taking them off sometimes your shoe came off too because of the slippiness of your hose. This was tlso the era before pantyhose and your hose were hooked to your girdle. What a feeling that was. Also you wore hose with seams and the hose was made to the shape of your leg before you put them on.. I had a pair and wore them as any girl would when out dressed. I was always the height of feminine fashion. And then the fashion boot cam in, but that is a story for another time.

Cheers---

Dawn HH

I have a pair of those too Dawn - although I had to go to my friends Retro Shop to find them. I bought them, as I prefer to wear real leather shoes (and boots), when I can.

The modern use of PU 'leather' in shoe manufacture rather negates the need for fastidious shoe-care, as it's plastic and therefore somewhat more waterproof than the real thing.

"Good Girls keep diaries....Bad Girls just don't have the time...!:icon_twisted:"

I am a newbie here, apologies for non-conformity :cry1:. Outside is deep fresh snow on top of compacted snow and ice. I live in the "sticks" well away from even a small village, we have had prolonged and sustained snow and minus a lot temperatures for the last two weeks. Car travel is presently not possible. I walked to the public road today in wellingtons, about half a mile, was hard work with frequent slips and slides. I have also ventured out in my "proper" boots (stilettos) although not as far as I do have a neighbour half way to the road. I found it much easier walking and it gave some indication of depth of snow & stuff - between 8 and 15 inches. The heels do dig in and arrest slides. The metal tipped heels were better at penetrating the compacted stuff, the plastic tipped heels felt less secure and suffered damage - heel tips worn away at the very back (contact with the actual road surface at a severe angle?). Seasons greetings to all.

I have to admit I do enjoy walks in snow in stilettos.I like to hear the snow crunch under me, and absolutly love seeing the heel prints I leave behind. that being said, walking in slushy/wet conditions is no fun for sure Jay

An extract from a recent newspaper article:

"When people climb ice they put crampons – with 12 inch-long spikes – on each foot, and wield the sort of ice axes that did for Leon Trotsky. Do this in central London and you'll attract the attention of the police.

Women who are comfortable in stilettos should take heart. You have essentially one crude, single-spiked crampon on each foot and as long as your ankles are up for it, there'll be no stopping you." (http://www.guardian.co.uk/commentisfree/2009/dec/22/snow-slippery-walk)

Perfect timing for writing this as I have just got in the house back from the office and slipped over on to my back. Those 5.5 inchers didn't work for me on the icy pavements of London. Ouch! I suggest anyone trying heels on snow is careful. Contrary to what I have always thought, beware. Another ouch! Worst of all... I broke my heel I think... (another ouch!)

High Surprise ... Very sorry about your fall. I hope you are alright. But I'm real sorry about your broken heel. That has to stink big time. Hope you have a better tomorrow and be careful on the snow and ice.

Pussyinboots:-) Thanks for your reply. When I bought those clear plastic boots to fit over your high heels they were very popular and available everywhere as they were the latest thing at that time. I sure had a lot of fun wearing them and they were comfortable, kept your feet warm, and quite stylish to wear. Then someone got the bright idea to put leather shafts on stiletto heels and the first fashion boots were invented. P_Tweed:-) Thanks for your first contribution to this site and welcome here. Cheers--- Dawn HH

Perfect timing for writing this as I have just got in the house back from the office and slipped over on to my back. Those 5.5 inchers didn't work for me on the icy pavements of London. Ouch! I suggest anyone trying heels on snow is careful. Contrary to what I have always thought, beware. Another ouch! Worst of all... I broke my heel I think... (another ouch!)

Try having steel tips put on your heels....they cut into the ice much more efficiently than plastic tips.

Me .. havent done it myself but am always in awe of girls who do. In my travels, i see girls doing it all the time! Couple of years ago in Russia, mates and I were coming out of a bar. Had been snowing heavily and my mate in front seemed to have forgotten this and promptly slipped and fell flat on his arse! We all clung to support such as walls and handrails so as not to follow him whilst having a good chuckle at his expense. :blinkbigeyes: To add insult to injury (well at least pride) - a young lady wearing the most stunning boots I've ever seen with 4' heels - stopped to help him up. SHe took the time to make sure he was OK and steady before strutting off into the snow like it was a dry day. She was fabulous So, dont think there anything wrong with it - the traction appropriate heels give probably make them safer on snow and ice than your average shoe.

Gingers Rogers did everything Fred Astair did .. but backwards and in heels

~~A Partial Post of DawnHH's... "One of the items was a pair of clear rubber boots for rain and snow that were shape to fit the stiletto heeled shoes. This was before heeled boots came into existance. They were very stylish and very comfortable and kept your feet wrm and dry and happy in your stylsh stilettos which could be partially seen through the rubber boot so everyone could see if your heels were patent or what color they were. They had a stretchy loop so that when you had them on a flap came accross your ankle to the outside of the boot and looped over a clear button to keep them closed. It was a very sexy feeling slipping these boots over your stilettos when putting them on," Fondly remember when young ('60's-'70's) seeing mostly Gramma (not so much Mom) exactly in those for Dressed Up Occasions, with Gramma also having another stlye of these... Black sorta Rubber Ankle Highs with Front Zip and having OXFORD look embossing throughout. Went way of trash side after she passed away as little too big the Mom's shoes.

Boots Rock!!!!

Remember as a kid at a state university seeing heel imprints in the snow of the side walk coming and going from classes on campus. Wish I could have seen that in action or better yet to help along. Mind you some of these tracks led for blocks. Even in the early eighties, the high heels were going full bore in the ice and snow. Lots of spins and splits. Got love the look!:blinkbigeyes:

I was out walking the dog and we still had snow in the driveway from a few days ago. Instead of walking around it, (with my Nine West high heel pointy stiletto boots on) to leave the footprints! Interesting how you see the front triangle and the tiny circle from the heel!

It's all about the heel!