Have you thought about this?

roniheels

I was standing in line at Wal-Mart getting ready to pay for my purchase. A young woman was in front of me walking so gingerly. When she placed her items on the conveyer belt that she was going to buy, the sales clerk asked her how she was doing. She said not good that she ached all over. She said she went to a dance party with friends and wore 5" high heels at the party. She said today she hurt all over, especially her feet, calves, and knees. I spoke up and asked her how long she wore her high heels at the party and she said for nearly four hours. I got to thinking that many men here at HHP have shared stories of wearing high heels for longer periods than that and did not have the aches and pains. So that made me think...are men more physically adapted to wearing high heels than women? High heels are portrayed as a feminine shoe but I hear so many women say they won't wear them for any length of time, for special occassions, or not at all! So is this even more of an argument for the acceptance of men wearing high heels? I'm curious what other men and women think.

I think it's all about practice and determination and the love of heels. I think that most men here, if not all men who have this high heel gene are more persistent to wear heels longer that our muscles and tendons grow stronger for the endurance that we anticipate to wear heels for longer periods of time. Kind of like working out. The harder you train, the stronger and faster you get. As for the woman in the 5" heels for 4 hours, I really do not think she wears heels of that height very often or probably doesn't work out much either. She did it for show. That's just my 2 cents, if you will.

real men wear heels

You can get used to heels quite quickly. I suggest that the woman concerned never wears them normally but put them on and went straight out to the party. No wonder she aches.

Graduate footwear designer able to advise and assist on modification and shoe making projects.

The gal that roniheels spoke of must not be aware that she could have taken her shoes off if they hurt her feet. There is no rule that says a person must keep their shoes on no matter how much they hurt your (her) feet. Is there?

Being mentally comfortable in your own mind is the key to wearing heels in public.

I think all of the reasons mentioned are pretty much correct. I think there's also a big difference having to do something, and wanting to. Most heels (say a 4" heeled shoe) don't physically feel better, or are more practical than a 'flat' shoe. I think it all comes down to how it mentally makes us feel. In fact, a lot of womanly wear: from a corset, to long fingernails, to applying (in some cases a lot) of makeup, can to a degree be physically uncomfortable. But it's what it makes us feel inside when we do that, that is the motivation. Medically, to some degree there's probably an adrenaline rush to it.

All you need to do is read the posts on this bbs, stories about how people bought their first shoes, their first public outing, in many cases trying to be as discreet as possible, shows how much we want to wear heels, in spite of obstacles (whether real or perceived) which make it sometime a difficult task. I'm sure there are lots of women that don't wear heels, and are not happy at all that fashion (and not necessarily high fashion, even down to a local Payless) keeps pushing heel heights higher and higher. My guess is the woman mentioned in the original post was one "compelled by social pressure" to wear 5" heels, when if she had her choice, probably would have maxed out at 3".

Indeed we see more and more and higher and higher heels in the shops, which got me into a discussion with one of my nieces. I asked her where they all went because you don't see the same percentage of high heels in the streets and her answer was that they were mainly for sitting at parties. This would mean that many women will buy very high heels just to go to a party and hardly ever be on their feet. If it then happens that you do have to stand a lot and this is the only time you wear such heels, you will suffer. In addition I personally think that most of those shoes are not very comfortable to begin with. Everybody who has quite a few shoes knows that some are much more comfortable than others, often independent of the heel hight. One can imagine that if one buys shoes only for sitting at a party (and hence mainly for the visual effect) one may not be very meticulous in searching for the most comfortable pair. The people here on the other hand want to walk around in high heels as much as possible and hence are well trained. In addition many of us prefer the highest high heels. (is this some equivalent of macho behaviour?). Hence I am not amazed that the members of this board who dare to be out and about for the whole evening in very high heels can do better than many (or even most) women. Y.

Raise your voice. Put on some heels.

I was standing in line at Wal-Mart getting ready to pay for my purchase. A young woman was in front of me walking so gingerly. When she placed her items on the conveyer belt that she was going to buy, the sales clerk asked her how she was doing. She said not good that she ached all over. She said she went to a dance party with friends and wore 5" high heels at the party. She said today she hurt all over, especially her feet, calves, and knees. I spoke up and asked her how long she wore her high heels at the party and she said for nearly four hours.

I got to thinking that many men here at HHP have shared stories of wearing high heels for longer periods than that and did not have the aches and pains. So that made me think...are men more physically adapted to wearing high heels than women?

It's far more likely she didn't wear high heels on a regular basis, whereas the men and women who do wear high heels regularly can wear "party shoes" without ruining themselves for whatever they need to do the next day.

For example, I can wear any of my four-inch heels around the apartment, or out shopping, for twelve hours straight, because I always wear four-inch heels around my apartment and often while out shopping.

Put me in a part of higher heeled shoes, however, and the higher the heel, the shorter the duration of my wear, and the more I feel it the next day.

Those who really care about us don't make a fuss about what we wear. Those who make a fuss about what we wear really don't care about us.

I agree on that kikepa I come down to what you are used to, normal duration and what activities posing around at a party is different to striding out on a multi mile hike or stroll around the shops. I think most of "us heelers" are challenging ourselves to prove what we can do whether "macho" or not just to catch up. Al

Having been to a number of events over the past few months in my heels, I have encountered women who "hate" me because I'm wearing heels higher than they can but there is no way i could wear heels as long as many women do throughout the day, I therefore have come to the following conclusions; Ability to wear is a physiological issue, neither male or female dominance, which can be made worse by poorly designed and made shoes; probably also to do with how pronounced the natural arch of the foot is, the higher the better. Longevity i would suggest is purely down to practice. Bubba, you should know better, young women are are all about style, can't be seen without the heels on, whether they can walk in them or not. PS; I note only males have responded, which i feel may be a bit unfair; frankly I wear heels for a very, very short period of my time, my thoughts are based on this little personal experience and watching women in heels.

Bubba, you should know better, young women are are all about style, can't be seen without the heels on, whether they can walk in them or not.

You're right. Style and image.....most important !

Being mentally comfortable in your own mind is the key to wearing heels in public.

Hmm! Sounds like a classic case of style over comfort with that woman roniheels, not to mention her reticence to let common sense take control and simply take off those shoes she wore when they were hurting her. I for one would never sacrifice comfort over style which is why I rarely wear anything over four inches. When it comes to high heels, you have to be smart up front so you don't suffer on the back end. Clearly that woman refused to follow that advice and was miserable for it.

I don't want to LOOK like a woman, I just want to DRESS like a woman!

When it comes to high heels, you have to be smart up front so you don't suffer on the back end. Clearly that woman refused to follow that advice and was miserable for it.

You know, Jeff, that most adults with just average intelligence would instinctively know this without being reminded. There are, however, many young people that are more concerned with how they look and making lasting impressions upon their competition regardless of how much discomfort is involved.

While I have worn 5" & 6" heels out in public, I usually stick to lower heels, between 2½" to 4½" heels for normal everyday wear. Ease of walking and comfort are more important to me than trying to impress anyone with my ability to walk in extreme heels for long periods of time.

This is a very interesting thread to read and I am enjoying it immensely While when wearing heels daily for as long as 18 hours a day, I never went over 4" in height. I enjoyed every step and did everything in heels at that time. After all, they were just shoes and I wore them as I would men's shoes. But then again, my legs and balance were in top shape then. I doubt very much if I could duplicate that today. Cheers--- Dawn HH.

High Heeled Boots Forever!

• 2 weeks later...