Checking out others' shoe closet

stellah

You know you're a heel addict when you are at somebody else's house and instead of snooping in the medicine cabinet, you check out the shoe and boot closet. Paying close attention to the sizes, to see who wears what and what might fit yourself.

This issue got my attention in another topic, but I think this is an interesting point.

I know exactly the contents of my my own shoe closet - so it is of no interest opening it - there's no chance of finding something surprising.

But sometimes when you have the chance - like visiting someone - if you have a chance, it is such extreme pleasure taking a peek at their closet - you may get really suprrising findings :) And then you feel so close to the shoes, yet everything is new to you! :(

I hope you get my point :lol:

HH forever!

What if you open someone else's closet - and they're in there? Could lead to an interesting discussion. I sometimes wonder how many people there are wanting to do stuff, and never do, because there's someone else there who'd be cool with it, but the topic of conversation never comes up? I know a couple of times people I've worked with have said "Wear whatever you want here!" and I've thought "Oh, if only!". But would they have minded? No idea. But if I'd caught them in my shoe room, then I'd have known. Darn these wasted opportunities!

Obsessed is such a strong word. I prefer to think of myself as "differently enthusiastic"

I have only explored closets three times. Once when I was babysitting 25 years ago, I explored a closet and found a pair of knee high granny boots that were 1 size too small for me. I tried them on anyway. Next I was staying at some friends and they were going out to a party. They invited me along, but I was too tired. As soon as they left I checked out her closet. Very disappointing!. No boots with heels and only one pair of black pumps with a 2" heel. Very dull. Last Fall I stayed with some friends and explored the closet in the guest room. Much better results. I found a nice pair of black knee high boots with a 3" stacked heel. I noticed that when the three of us went out that night, she was wearing those boots under a pair of black jeans. I was hoping for a short skirt or leather pants, but it was better than nothing. Let the exploring continue!

Everyone should wear boots!

If I opened someone else's closet, and they were in there, first of all, I'd be worried as to why they were in there in the firs place! Actually, I'd do that second. First I would run! Hmm... actually I think my heart would jump into my throat, and I'd probably struggle to get a word out! Then I'd probably try and make an excuse... then perhaps I'd tell them the real reason! SH

Hi! I'm a signature virus! Copy me into your sig and help me spread!

A few times. I'm not into going to people's private rooms but when shoes are dumped in the the cupboard under the stairs or in a communal area where you might put your shoes too I think it's fair game to have a look or even a quick try. Like if someone left their newspaper lying around you'd probably have a quick read, but if they put it in their room then you wouldn't go and nick it.

My mum's friend who had quite large feet changed out of some high heeled boots into some dr scholls and went out into the garden with my mum. I was 12 at the time so guess what I did!

Graduate footwear designer able to advise and assist on modification and shoe making projects.

Yeah, I checked out a few places a couple of times. But not very often or lately.

Hello, :wave: my name is Hoverfly. I’m a high heel addict…. Weeeeeeeeeee!  👠1998 to 2022!

This is about a phone booth not a closet and probably a bit out of context here, but has anyone ever gone up to a stranger and asked where they got their shoes from? Every time I do I find they bought them in another country. I accosted a lady of Oriental persuasion in a phone booth once as she had the most wonderful black suede ankle boots on only to find she bought them in Hong Kong. Reading this back I think I really do have a problem LOL I sound like a maniac :wink::D

Let calm be widespread

May the sea glisten like greenstone

And the shimmer of summer

Dance across your pathway

"Communication is a two way thing"

That's why I love this place it confirms what I have always known about myself :wink: and at least I know I am not alone :D

Let calm be widespread

May the sea glisten like greenstone

And the shimmer of summer

Dance across your pathway

"Communication is a two way thing"

If I'm in someone's house and happen to be in the bedroom, you can bet I could pass a test the next day, "What footwear was visible in Mary's room and through the open closet door?" If they leave the room, I might wander over for a better peek, but would not open a closed door just to peek. OTOH, when I was 14 or so I remember a few times when I went further: 1. We used to visit an aunt for a couple weeks in the summer. My cousin there had about 20 pairs of heels in boxes under a vanity in the bathroom. She seemed to buy new shoes weekly, but I never saw her wearing anything but white canvas keds! They were essentially all pointed toe, 2 - 4 inch spike heeled pumps. This was around 1960. Whenever I hear the names Thom McAn, Kinney, A. S. Beck, Spring-o-lator, I always think of that summer. I used to probably spend an hour every night in there trying them on -- sadly they were all too small, but I kept trying! I eventually found another "cache" of shoes in another closet and there was a pair of "Springolator" sandals that I could jam my toes into. And that was the first time I wore heels. BTW, Springolators were a brand of what today we would call open toe mules. The spring part was a strip of wide elastic on the sole under your foot that kept them on. 2. Another, maybe the same, summer another aunt who lived in the house next door was away on vacation for a couple weeks. She had a couple pairs of what then seemed to be really high spike heel pumps. While she was gone, we had the duty of going over and feeding their parakeet. I'm sure my mother wondered why I was so eager to go feed the bird, and maybe stay a few minutes extra to keep him company. Dedicated pet watcher. I think I spent 2 hours there every day. All the while playing with her shoes, they were too small but that didn't stop me from trying... 3. I was at a friends house, I think the fall after the parakeet summer, and discovered his sister had left a pair of high heel sandals in the bathroom. They fit! I imagine the family thought I was sick or something the way I kept going to the bathroom. On one of my trips to the bathroom, I put them outside the bathroom door, then another trip outside the apartment's entrance. Then came back an hour later and "found" them! 4. I was working at a Wal-Mart/hypermart type of store for the summer a couple years later. The shoe department had a lot of boxes stacked up in the back of the stock room. On my lunch hour, I used to sneak back there and try on shoes. Eventually I put a pair of boots out the back door with the trash and later picked them up. A trick I learned from another stock boy who used to slide LP records under the door.

When I was a kid - I guess I was in high school - I had a friend who lived across the street from me. On several occasions I saw his mom come home from work wearing pumps with about a 2" or 3" heel, and I noticed that her feet looked about the same size as mine.... :wink: So I was over there one time with my friend and another friend of ours, playing basketball back by his garage, and I knew no one else was home there - so I said I needed to use his bathroom, but instead went into his mom's closet and tried on her shoes! I think that was the first time I actually wore high heels - that was really exciting, but also really scary!! I thought for sure someone would walk in and catch me at any moment. Then another time, the same friend asked me to come over and take care of his dog while his family was on vacation. That was great! I wore those shoes every time I went over there. I confess, every time I get a chance to peek into a woman's closet I do.

"No matter what they say"

I remember now an incident when I was about 10 years old. My parents and I went to stay with some friends who had a son and a daughter, Sara. The daughter was about 16/17 at this time. Both the mother and Sara wore plenty of quite high heels. I was given a room at the front of the house and as luck would have it Sara had left a couple of pairs of shoes in there next to the wall in a corner. One was of no interest but the others were 4" wooden sandal clogs with about a 1" platform. I had to try these on and they fillted perfectly. It was the first time I had tried platforms and these felt quite stiff and funny to walk in. I was quite enjoying getting used to them walking around the bedroom. I then heard a creak at the top of the stairs, and had the shoes off in a flash and under the bed with just enough time to sit innocently on the bed. The father of the house comes hurrying in and says "oh sorry" while getting something from one of the cupboards. That was a very close shave and not the only time my sense of hearing has saved me from an awkward situation.

I'm blushing writing this. When I was about 14, a youngish friend came round to see my mum. She was wearing a lovely pair of cream high heeled leather boots. Being polite, she removed them and left them in the hallway outside the 'downstairs cloakroon' (it's a toilet, you know the score). Without giving it too much thought, I grabbed the boots and nipped into the loo. I'd just got my jeans off and pulled one boot on when I heard, "Oh where are my boots? I thought I left them right here." Uh oh, I was in trouble. What could I do? I just called out, "Oh, I put them in here to keep the hallway tidy." Nobody in the house had ever put a pair of shoes or boots or even a coat in the 'cloakroom' before, and I wasn't known for my naturally tidy instinct. This was lame. I flushed the toilet and hastily removed the boot and pulled my jeans on. I casually exited to two extremely puzzled looks coming my way. Just smile and act naturally I thought. Yeah, right. With a face like beetroot. My embarassment was complete when I heard my mum's friend chuckle and say to my mum, "Maybe he was trying them on."

At least you weren't actually seen in the boots!

I have a similar experience from a few years back...

I was home alone, and as I'd often do when I was home alone, I ventured into my sister's room. I opened up her wardrobe, got out the box that contained here only pair of decent heels, took them out of the bags (they're in bags to protect them cos they're velvet or something), and put them on, and buckled up the strap.

I was swanning around downstairs doing various things, and I walked out of the middle room to go up the stairs, and all of a sudden my sister appeared at the front door, back from work early, and she rang the bell for me to let her in. She could obviously see me through the frosted glass (and so obviously couldn't make out the heels). I rushed back the middle room, took off the heels, hid them under the bed, and I rushed to the front door to let her in (she had keys! Stupid lazy lil... :wink:). She was quite curious as to why I took so long, and didn't just let her in! I can't remember my excuse..

But there was another problem... there was an open box with bags strewn on the floor with her wardrobe doors open upstairs! Eeeeek!

Thankfully she wandered through the kitchen and sat down at the breakfast room table to read the paper or something. So I dashed back into the middle room and grabbed the heels from quite a way under the bed from whence I had thrust them. I dashed up the stairs, heels in hand, trying to hide them on my way. I quietly opened her door, and hastily put the heels back into the bags, then into the box, and shoved the box into the wardrobe and quietly shut the door. I made a hasty exit and casually strolled into my room!

Far too close for comfort...!

SH

Hi! I'm a signature virus! Copy me into your sig and help me spread!

So it's not just me then :wink: I used to stay at an aunts place when I was around 12 or 13, often for whole weekends. She always wore high heels and had lots of shoes around, I would have the run of the house, but mostly spent many happy hours trying on her wedge sandals, and especially the stiletto's. These things stay with us too don't they, I can't resist a peek if someone leaves their door open and some shoes on display :D

He was so narrow minded he could see through a keyhole with both eyes.

Brown's Law: If the shoe fits, it's ugly

Hi folks, your funny stories remember me to an episode of my youth. My elder sister had just got a new pair of knee high leather boots. They had not really high heels, only 1 or 1.5 inches. But I had to try them on! When my sisters were not at home I sneaked into their room grabbed the boots from my sisters wardrobe and hijacked them into my room. I put them on and was excited about the feeling to walk in them. Suddenly I heard that the door of the living room was opened (my parents were still at home). Danger!!!! What to do? I snapped at a book, jumped into my bed and pulled the cover over the boots. At this moment I already heard a knocking on my door. "Yes?". My mom opened the door and saw me lying in the bed; I suppose with a head red like a tomato. "Why are you lying in the bed on broad daylight?!" was her first question. Within seconds I invented a really brilliant answer: "It's too cold in my room. It's more comfortable reading in the bed". She accepted my answer, at least wondering a little bit about my tomato-head. But then she changed to the proper concern of her visit: an absolute unimportant question! I'm amused about this occurence that I can still remember today in every detail :D micha PS: And how will I react nowadays if my parents catch me in the main shopping mall of Frankfurt (the "Zeil") on stiletto boots? Don't know, but definitely without a tomato head :wink:

The best fashion is your own fashion!

When I was about 10 or 11 my parents would occasionally go out on a Saturday night, and I would sleep over at a neighbours house. Their daughter was a year or so older then me, and one time she left some strappy high heels in the room. They were her first pair of high heels, though probably only a bit over 3 inches or so, maybe nearer to 4 perhaps. The straps over the toes were like two interlinked back-to-back E shapes. They were a size 3 or 4 I guess, and I think they were blue. The ankle strap and buckle were conventionally designed. I didn't dare to try them on, but I really wanted to. The next time I was there, several weeks later, the shoes were nowhere to be seen. In the middle of the night I looked in the wardrobes to see if I could find them, and never did. During the next visit and sleepover, as I lifted the sheets back to get into bed, I found a note. It was written by the daughter, and she had left it under the top sheets. It said "No Snooping". Busted! and I never did get to try the shoes on. Darn.

I lived with an aunt until perhaps the age of 9. Although in her 50s she always wore spike heels when she went out. When she took me to the park or shopping she dressed in a form-fitting dress or suit with hat and leather gloves. She is nearly 90 now but was very pretty when she was young. She let me wear her shoes around the house and I don't think she told my parents or anyone else about this. When I moved back with my parents another aunt (my mom's young unmarried sister) came to live with us and we shared the bedroom. My aunt was pretty and something of a floozy as a young girl. She had a nice assortment of shoes and a pair of slides with 4 1/2 inch spike heels. I don't know if there is a special name for these slides. The uppers were leather and the bottoms were wood except for rubber half-soles. The lower 3 inches of the heels were gold plated metal. I loved those slides and wore them whenever I had the chance. Even when the rest of the family was in the house I would lock the bedroom door and take my aunt's shoes from the closet. The closet doors were very noisy and I suppose my spike-heeled footfalls could be heard on the wood floor. More than a few times my mom asked me through the locked door, "Are you wearing auntie's shoes?" But I was never actually caught with them on. I think my mom also found my first pair of women's boots which I had purchased on my own at the age of 12. However by then I was clearly interested in girls so she did not make an issue of it. My aunt somehow found out that I had been into her shoe collection. When she married a few years later and moved out she gave me her spike-heeled slides and a pair of furry pink leather bedroom slippers. So I guess if you don't count an ex-girlfriend and my two aunts, I've never really been "outed".

Michael

When in my teens, I was in charge of my aunt and uncles house while they were on vacation. That was the first time I went through a closet looking for shoes (other than at home). Found a pair of my aunt's 4" spike heels that fit me perfect! Seeing as how my mother had a really small foot and I could never wear her's, this was a great find. I wore them about ten times that week. Later, I had a friend who's Mom was a bit larger, and I snooped her closet once or twice. Her size 9.5's fit me nicely, and I tried on several. Almost got caught there, as I did that once when my friend was in the basement, and he came up while I was going between bedroom and bathroom! Guess he either didn't see the shoes, or never said anything. Later in life, my work took me into many homes, on which I would perform full inspections, and I actually had to llok in the closets! It was always best when the homeowner would allow me to "do my job" and not tag along. I would always check out what the lady of the house wore. When I was really lucky, I'd get to do the inspection when no one was home. Once I met an agent at the home of a single woman, and he let me in saying "just lock up when you're done". When I went into the master bedroom closet, I almost died. About twenty to thirty pairs of shoes, all in size 10, which at the time was about as big as women's shoes came, and I could at least wear them, albeit snugly. I probably spent an hour there, sneaking a pair of her hose, and trying on just about every pair there. Several were 3-4 inch spike heels, and I had a nervous, but great, time. I was sure fearful that she would come walking in at any moment, but I was fortunate that she never did. I've tried on a few other pairs in my day, but never had an experience like that, with shoes that fit and the place to myself!

Ron you're lucky that you were able to work largely unsupervised. My dad was a plumber and during summer breaks from school I sometimes worked with him. The occupants were usually away at work and left a key so we could let ourselves in. Once we were inside the house, my dad and I were rarely separated for more than a few minutes at a time so there were few opportunities to locate and inspect any footwear belonging to the female members of the household. On only one occasion I can remember, I was left alone for an entire half-hour while my dad went to the plumbing supply house to obtain a part we didn't normally carry. It was a disappointment because judging from what I found in her closet, the lady of the house was either someone who could not wear high heels or was completely sexless.

Michael

I forgot that I did some closet snooping back in college. I lived in the doors and ended up with a pass key for the most of the rooms on my floor. During my junior year, everybody else went home or to Florida for spring break, while I stayed in the dorms. Since my floor was co-ed, it gave me an opportunity to go exploring. Most of the rooms were pretty dull, but in one room I found a pair of Frye boots and in another I found a beautiful pair of knee high black leather dress boots with a 3 inch heel. Both pair were way to small for me to wear, but that didn't stop me from trying.

Everyone should wear boots!

• 1 month later...

This issue got my attention in another topic, but I think this is an interesting point.

I know exactly the contents of my my own shoe closet - so it is of no interest opening it - there's no chance of finding something surprising.

But sometimes when you have the chance - like visiting someone - if you have a chance, it is such extreme pleasure taking a peek at their closet - you may get really suprrising findings :( And then you feel so close to the shoes, yet everything is new to you! :D

I hope you get my point :wink:

When I was 17 I spent a weekend staying at a girlfriend's family home. She had to sleep with her sister and I sleeped in her room. Her shoes were too small for me to wear, but I did have a very enjoyable night trying on her tight skirts. :D

"You can check out anytime you like, but you can never leave ! " The Eagles, "Hotel California"

Her shoes were too small for me to wear, but I did have a very enjoyable night trying on her tight skirts.

Isn't that frustrating. So many shoes and none of them fit me. I felt the same frustration when I outgrew my aunts' shoes (sizes 5 and 6, I think) and had to start buying my own.

Michael

Ahhhhhhhh noooooooo....She wants to wear my "womens" high heel shoes. :wink:

You want to wear men's (!!!) shoes?????

Hello, :wave: my name is Hoverfly. I’m a high heel addict…. Weeeeeeeeeee!  👠1998 to 2022!

You see Tex, the thing is that you got enough men’s style boots (in women's sizes)in your collection. You need lots more of high heels added to that collection. :wink:

So what if I did want to wear men's shoes. There are men that wear women's shoes......what about all these requests for equality that I hear?

:D